Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Navy 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am Keep Trollin'
Yes, that’s exactly what you are doing.

So, have you landed any new retirement accounts to manage now that RS is gone?

I guess your golden goose is dead and full of bile.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Amplo did a nice job w the staff. Come September, it’s time to pull away from the dock and let RS go away. Time to move on.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 am Amplo did a nice job w the staff. Come September, it’s time to pull away from the dock and let RS go away. Time to move on.
Mr3Putt wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:37 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 am https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... ssion=true
In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Whelp, a faint, parting shot from Sowell.
Correct, because Meade was McGyver w the program. He took a few paper clips & duct tape and made it work. Those players couldn’t believe he was let go. Tremors occurred. That won’t happen w this change!!!
Agreed. And even more importantly, Coach Meade fully comprehended and respected the importance of the USNA / Midshipmen Ethos in the context of Navy Lacrosse -- he walked the walk by providing authentic leadership presence -- a most selfless coach, coaching a most selfless team. Thankfully, and it becomes clearer everyday, the MLax Mids have that once again in Coach Amplo.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Yep, coach Sowell stayed classy even on his way out...a few need to look in the mirror...haters gonna hate!

Good day!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm
FactChecker wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm Curious, was Wellner let go or on his own accord?
His choice. Was probably the only assistant job he would have left for on his own.
Thx.
Any news on Camposa or Parks?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

RS should not have been shocked however by the decision. The mantra in Annapolis is not mediocrity. It needed to be better. The AD & the lax community was patient. You know you are going to be solid in the cage & at the X. Hustle & work ethic is a given . Now, you bring in Olsen as DC.... w a nice resume . You would think w athleticism, and scheme - fine . Ok, now the $64 question... can we score? Its been a gray cloud for years. With the shot clock & crab net sticks the RM philosophy (7-6 scores) is long gone. What needs to be done to score?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 pm RS should not have been shocked however by the decision. The mantra in Annapolis is not mediocrity. It needed to be better. The AD & the lax community was patient. You know you are going to be solid in the cage & at the X. Hustle & work ethic is a given . Now, you bring in Olsen as DC.... w a nice resume . You would think w athleticism, and scheme - fine . Ok, now the $64 question... can we score? Its been a gray cloud for years. With the shot clock & crab net sticks the RM philosophy (7-6 scores) is long gone. What needs to be done to score?
I have made the exact comments and get the same worn answers: O scheme is bad; not using enough players; too predictable, blah, blah. It's not as if RS's scheme that worked elsewhere suddenly stopped working, or, that he didn't try other ideas(2 man games, big/little, invert, quick hits off the f/o, goals off the ride, etc)..I really believe that if the alleged talent on the bench was there, he would've used them... Solid defense will only take you so far, especially when the O is constantly, and I mean constantly, making poor decisions and turning it over... Army has a similar formula; they tend to rely on 1 or 2 dodgers when settled; otherwise, try to score in transition--often off a save.. The best offensive players generally go to the marquee teams(BU had one, and he transferred to UNC).. Most PL teams rely on 1 or 2 guys and rely on fogo, goal tending and solid D to win games. Even with the shot clock, you're still seeing low scoring, 1 goal games, generally.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am Yep, coach Sowell stayed classy even on his way out...a few need to look in the mirror...haters gonna hate!

Good day!
For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it...
Coach Sowell.
:roll:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I agree explain ! Joey Cinderblock what happen ?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sowell caused quite a few problems whe he got there. New coach seems to be doing a better job of learning the culture, traditions and rules of the USNA.

This past year I had the new Na y FB defensive coaches cycling through a house. Got to know several. In convo they all knew the stories behind the FB traditions, the duties and responsibilities they had etc. we got to discussing why the Navy and ND will play every year as long as Navy wants the game. They knew it as well as I did.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:00 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am Yep, coach Sowell stayed classy even on his way out...a few need to look in the mirror...haters gonna hate!

Good day!
For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it...
Coach Sowell.
Coach Sowell's message to the Navy team and supporters...
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Coach Byrne's message to the Notre Dame team and supporters...
https://college.jumpforward.com/MailSys ... -164457438

Byrne wrote...
Friends, Parents, Alumni of ND Lacrosse

Late yesterday afternoon I accepted a position at Harvard to become the next Head Coach at the University.

It would be a tremendous understatement to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions of my adult life. As you all know Notre Dame is more than the physical buildings or the history and traditions. It is an ethos, a spirit that permeates the place and ultimately seeps into your bones and your own being. You transmit it to your children and extended family and if you are luck they embrace it as well.

I was fortunate enough to be here long enough to see and feel all of that happen and more. I was able to Coach and mentor my Godson Will Corrigan and watch my own son Pierre become a great, selfless, kind, team first middle for ND, just as Will had done and modeled before him. I watched my daughter compete at ND and blossom into a beautiful smart woman now heading to Med School. I proudly watched my wife firmly establish herself as a talented and compassionate physician in town as she delivered 100's of babies into the world, many of them connected to ND in some way. I spent more nights in hotels rooms on the road with KC, Brian Fisher, Rob Simpson, Matt Karweck, Kevin Anderson, Neil Hutchinson, Jon Rodak, Kevin Dugan, Jason Lamb than I can remember. What I will remember of those nights are the stories, and the laughter in the retelling that never seemed to get old.

I was able to meet and get to know 100's of players and their parents. The players, some who are now firmly in their 40's with their own young families and others just starting the real world as graduates are some of the finest people I've ever met. They were open to the message of what ND was about and the pathway it could provide for their sons as people, players and members of the ND Community. They embraced the uniqueness of my family and welcomed them as their own making all of my kids feel like they were part of the brick and mortar of Arlotta. Your sons, the players were a joy to coach, a pleasure to mentor, cared for each other, protected one another, competed at the highest level and left here fortified for the world with their values enhanced and intact to face the world.
That true success is the ultimate honor for a coach, to know you played a role in delivering on the promises made in recruiting, having young men embrace the opportunities and see the finished product shine, on the practice field, in the locker room, on the graduation stage, in the NCAA Tourney or in their personal and professional lives.

I watched Coach Corrigan steward the program to incredible heights, proud of the part I played as his assistant coach. He saw that your 4 years here should be more than what happens on the field. His radical candor regarding what ND Lacrosse should be about invigorated our recruiting and set the trajectory for the last 15 years. I was honored to be his assistant and proud of all of our accomplishments together. I will forever grateful that he took a chance on me in the summer of 2006 to come back to ND.

If you are reading this and you are a former player that I coached, thank you for believing in the vision we had for ND and the program. If you are a parent, I hope we delivered on what was promised and that your son left here the kind of man, teammate, person, son you hoped he could If you are an alum, thank you for supporting this special place, and making myself and family feel so welcome and appreciated.

I can't thank you all enough for my time here, you all gave me more than I could ever give you in return.

Take Care & God Bless.

GB
Coach Byrne is a consummate professional and class act. Notre Dame is most fortunate to now have Coach Wellner, another consummate professional and class act, as their new defensive coach. Hopefully, Navy vs. ND will be on the MLax schedule in 2020 and beyond.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 pm RS should not have been shocked however by the decision. The mantra in Annapolis is not mediocrity. It needed to be better. The AD & the lax community was patient. You know you are going to be solid in the cage & at the X. Hustle & work ethic is a given . Now, you bring in Olsen as DC.... w a nice resume . You would think w athleticism, and scheme - fine . Ok, now the $64 question... can we score? Its been a gray cloud for years. With the shot clock & crab net sticks the RM philosophy (7-6 scores) is long gone. What needs to be done to score?
Below will be a positive start...as has been noted previously many times by youthathletics and many others in the know about Navy MLax, the player talent has been there all along over the past eight seasons, including on the O side, and continues to be heading into 2020...Coach Amplo's proven skills and confidence as an HC, will allow Coach Ross to create a positive, productive and enjoyable learning environment for the Mids team O...
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:14 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:20 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 pm
So we now have an OC in Ross, that will surely change not only practice schematics and individual development, but concepts that align with how the game has evolved in the last 10 + years. In his 2017 IMLCA presentation, the man clearly gets it and is young enough to have a pulse on the implementation and comparisons of hoops and the indoor game. Interestingly enough, some of his "standards" align with those pillars of success spoke of and coached by Meade via the Stockdale Center. Coincidence?....maybe, but who cares, plagiarism is not always a bad thing.
Yup...that's the one.
Just waiting for ALL that offensive talent, that RS recruited(and RW) yet was too stubborn to play, to show how great they really are :lol:
Coach Ross will surely have a full cupboard of talent to play with, eh? Looking forward to a crazy big(bigly) increase in offensive production in 2020!!
Go Mids!!
Nowhere to go but up after being ranked 7th in scoring for the entire patriot league. That offense schematic was so unfriggenbelievably complex that even an USNA caveman could not grasp it...oh wait, maybe it was that the opposition learned how to stop that highly sophisticated offense when they played it in 1985. :lol:

We should have also just started wearing 3 ring tube socks, chuck taylors, and smoke marlboro reds on the sidelines while we were are at it. I get the gov't is often stuck decades back in process...it does not mean the athletics has to follow that trait.
And another good one...

Interesting perspective indeed, especially when compared and contrasted to "All Access Lacrosse Practice" from "Championship Productions"...

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Fire in Rickover Hall last night. Sounds like it took over an hour and a half to contain. Likely construction related.

Burning down the house!

Fire watch caught it. Watch is important.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:19 pm Fire in Rickover Hall last night. Sounds like it took over an hour and a half to contain. Likely construction related.

Burning down the house!

Fire watch caught it. Watch is important.
Thanks Fire Marshall BIll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdR2T6YKAUc
old salt

Post by old salt »

laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

+1 old salt...Thanks for putting the Navy 2020 back on page 1 of the forum listing with this insightful article by Patrick Stevens.
“To have an opportunity to help educate, in some small way, the next crop of great leaders for our country, just that alone could be enough for me to take this job,” Amplo said. “That’s a big part of it, but it’s not the only part of it. I do believe coaching at the Naval Academy and getting to a place in the sport that’s close to the top, that would be a great feeling as a coach.”
Offensive coordinator Brad Ross, who will be given wide latitude after arriving from Ohio State — “The one thing I told him, you can run whatever you want offensively, but our players have to get better,” Amplo said. “They have to get better over the course of a season and over the course of four years and that’s all I care about.” — was a member of Danowski’s first Duke teams.
Little wonder Amplo mentioned fundamentals, development and teaching — all things closely associated with Danowski’s teams — as priorities.
Kudos to Coach Amplo...lots for the MLax Mids and Navy Faithful to be encouraged about.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Good day!
Coach Sowell.
Coach Sowell's message to the Navy team and supporters...
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Coach Byrne's message to the Notre Dame team and supporters...
https://college.jumpforward.com/MailSys ... -164457438

Byrne wrote...
Friends, Parents, Alumni of ND Lacrosse

Late yesterday afternoon I accepted a position at Harvard to become the next Head Coach at the University.

It would be a tremendous understatement to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions of my adult life. As you all know Notre Dame is more than the physical buildings or the history and traditions. It is an ethos, a spirit that permeates the place and ultimately seeps into your bones and your own being. You transmit it to your children and extended family and if you are luck they embrace it as well.

I was fortunate enough to be here long enough to see and feel all of that happen and more. I was able to Coach and mentor my Godson Will Corrigan and watch my own son Pierre become a great, selfless, kind, team first middle for ND, just as Will had done and modeled before him. I watched my daughter compete at ND and blossom into a beautiful smart woman now heading to Med School. I proudly watched my wife firmly establish herself as a talented and compassionate physician in town as she delivered 100's of babies into the world, many of them connected to ND in some way. I spent more nights in hotels rooms on the road with KC, Brian Fisher, Rob Simpson, Matt Karweck, Kevin Anderson, Neil Hutchinson, Jon Rodak, Kevin Dugan, Jason Lamb than I can remember. What I will remember of those nights are the stories, and the laughter in the retelling that never seemed to get old.

I was able to meet and get to know 100's of players and their parents. The players, some who are now firmly in their 40's with their own young families and others just starting the real world as graduates are some of the finest people I've ever met. They were open to the message of what ND was about and the pathway it could provide for their sons as people, players and members of the ND Community. They embraced the uniqueness of my family and welcomed them as their own making all of my kids feel like they were part of the brick and mortar of Arlotta. Your sons, the players were a joy to coach, a pleasure to mentor, cared for each other, protected one another, competed at the highest level and left here fortified for the world with their values enhanced and intact to face the world.
That true success is the ultimate honor for a coach, to know you played a role in delivering on the promises made in recruiting, having young men embrace the opportunities and see the finished product shine, on the practice field, in the locker room, on the graduation stage, in the NCAA Tourney or in their personal and professional lives.

I watched Coach Corrigan steward the program to incredible heights, proud of the part I played as his assistant coach. He saw that your 4 years here should be more than what happens on the field. His radical candor regarding what ND Lacrosse should be about invigorated our recruiting and set the trajectory for the last 15 years. I was honored to be his assistant and proud of all of our accomplishments together. I will forever grateful that he took a chance on me in the summer of 2006 to come back to ND.

If you are reading this and you are a former player that I coached, thank you for believing in the vision we had for ND and the program. If you are a parent, I hope we delivered on what was promised and that your son left here the kind of man, teammate, person, son you hoped he could If you are an alum, thank you for supporting this special place, and making myself and family feel so welcome and appreciated.

I can't thank you all enough for my time here, you all gave me more than I could ever give you in return.

Take Care & God Bless.

GB
Coach Byrne is a consummate professional and class act. Notre Dame is most fortunate to now have Coach Wellner, another consummate professional and class act, as their new defensive coach. Hopefully, Navy vs. ND will be on the MLax schedule in 2020 and beyond.

I wonder if Coach Byrne will be vilified by the Harvard "faithful" like Sowell was. Also, Byrne wasn't dismissed at ND, left on his own--you guys sure like to conflate the issue.. No debating that RS was dealt a bad hand at Navy and yet he took them to the tourney and even won a game--despite the haters. Oh, and 4 * victories in a row; and a Hopkins win and a Loyola win and a win in the Dome. Not great, I agree...but, let's see how the future goes for Navy the next 8 years...PL is getting tougher and tougher..

Yes lil' wombat, I got RS's Navy retirement rollover funds and have them in a variety of sectors. Pretty good for an M.D., eh sport?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

From the same US Lacrosse article: "We can't be afraid to ask dumb questions," Amplo said. "We can't be afraid to admit our ignorance...." Can only imagine how "encouraged" the Navy faithful would had been if those were RS's comments :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

This pity party is not helping RS find work.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am Coach Byrne is a consummate professional and class act. Notre Dame is most fortunate to now have Coach Wellner, another consummate professional and class act, as their new defensive coach. Hopefully, Navy vs. ND will be on the MLax schedule in 2020 and beyond.
I wonder if Coach Byrne will be vilified by the Harvard "faithful" like Sowell was. Also, Byrne wasn't dismissed at ND, left on his own--you guys sure like to conflate the issue.. No debating that RS was dealt a bad hand at Navy and yet he took them to the tourney and even won a game--despite the haters. Oh, and 4 * victories in a row; and a Hopkins win and a Loyola win and a win in the Dome. Not great, I agree...but, let's see how the future goes for Navy the next 8 years...PL is getting tougher and tougher..

Yes lil' wombat, I got RS's Navy retirement rollover funds and have them in a variety of sectors. Pretty good for an M.D., eh sport?
Oldjayfan, I appreciate your posts. You're right about Coach Sowell. He was dealt a bad hand, but he delivered some highlights. Also, he stayed positive even though his exit was very different since there was no return in the offing. In contrast, Coach Byrne wasn't fired and moved on for a prominent Head Coach spot. He penned a heart felt farewell letter, but is anyone surprised that he did some backside smooching on the way out of South Bend? Who knows when Notre Dame will be looking for a replacement and why not stay on the short list, if not at the top of it? Especially when patience is in short supply these days and alumni are quick to find fault?
Ironically, there didn't seem to be a similar farewell letter from the new DC at Notre Dame. Maybe Healthy Debate or someone else has more color on that exit?

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Last edited by laxpere on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”