Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxxygilmore

Re: Navy 2020

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 am How to really enjoy your work:

+1 WOMBAT...and then there's this one on how to enjoy life on The Yard :) ...

https://www.military.com/video/forces/n ... 5842268001

9,107,032 views...pretty impressive.
:)

GO MIDS!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Read some of the comments to this USNI photo:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4136042172
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot alert:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... ple-space/

And here I thought the Academy had exorcised all of its demons by changing coaches.
Bravo 3

Post by Bravo 3 »

Whatever happened to “morally, mentally, and physically “
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:58 pm Oh, all of them ;) :) ...

https://navysports.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax

GO MIDS!
.:shock:. ...a complete roster, posted before the first fallball scrimmage.
No forensic sleuthing required. This is too ez. Thank You.
old salt wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 pm
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pmen/55398

...the roster is big. There were 64 players listed on the fall roster — 23 of them plebes.
“With what these guys sacrifice, if they want to come out here and compete I’m going to let them,” he says.
BZ Coach .:!:.
Coach Amplo continues to impress..."walks the walk" of Navy Lacrosse indeed on many levels. Great to see his open communication with alumni since his arrival to USNA in June 2019, most recently via the NAVY LACROSSE ALUMNI NEWSLETTER...Vol. 03 - October 15, 2019 that includes a full menu of events information regarding Navy Lacrosse Blue & Gold Weekend, October 25 & 26, 2019.
old salt

Post by old salt »

If anybody can beat it, #11 will. As Coach said -- "physically, he can bring it. "

For non WP subscribers, I'll quote the entire article. I'm sure the author won't object :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... ba629770c/

After Late Arrival, Osgood Was Good to Go
Dwayne Osgood, a 24-year-old senior midfielder, took time off from school and worked construction before entering the Naval Academy in 2001.
By Christian Swezey
May 20, 2005

The best part of construction work, Dwayne Osgood said, was being done by 3 in the afternoon. That afforded him time to lie on the beach near his small apartment in Swampscott, Mass., or even attend a few games at nearby Fenway Park.

The worst part was wondering if he had made the right decision to leave the Naval Academy Prep School, voluntarily and in good academic standing, a week before graduation in 1999.

He also had walked away from the chance to play Division I lacrosse. Groundballs and goals were replaced by gas lines, which Osgood was installing as part of Boston's "Big Dig." After working construction for a year and a half, however, Osgood re-enrolled at NAPS, then got to the academy in the fall of 2001.

Getting back on the lacrosse field was tougher. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a scrimmage in October 2001. He tore the ACL in his right knee in practice the following fall, soon after recovering from the first surgery.

While watching a scrimmage a couple weeks after the second surgery, Osgood told his mother he was not going to play the sport again.

"I said I didn't want to influence his decision, but that I also didn't blame him," Pam Osgood said. "We kept watching the scrimmage. Well, Navy didn't fare too well. Toward the end he said, 'Mom . . . ,' and I said, 'I know, you're going to play lacrosse again.' And he smiled."

That is how Osgood, a 24-year old senior midfielder, put himself in position to help No. 5 Navy (12-3) in its NCAA tournament quarterfinal against No. 4 Virginia (10-3) tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Homewood Field in Baltimore. He will play on the second midfield and likely will take the spot of injured junior Steve Looney on extra-man offense.

"He was running on the first midfield the first fall he was here," Coach Richie Meade said. "Physically, he can bring it."

Osgood's journey to the academy didn't start very well. Nobody was home when Meade and assistant John Tillman went to Osgood's house in Penn Yan, N.Y., on a scheduled recruiting trip in December 1997.

Osgood's stepfather eventually showed up, having come from a hunting trip. (He had a deer in the back of his truck.) With his help, they located Dwayne Osgood. He was shooting on a lacrosse goal that had been set up inside a nearby tire factory.

"After we found out where Dwayne was, I wasn't angry," Meade said. "How can you be mad at a guy who's late because he's been shooting on goal?"

Osgood did well at NAPS, but said he "wasn't mature enough" for the academy and decided to leave despite having finished his exams. Working construction and living alone didn't prove to be the boon he thought it would be.

His chances of re-enrolling at Navy were helped after he expressed regret at leaving while talking with former NAPS teammate Dan Griffin, then a sophomore at Navy. Griffin mentioned the conversation to Navy's coaches. They were able to get Osgood into the final trimester at NAPS; upon completion, he was admitted into the academy, though he had to commit to his postgraduate military obligation to do so (most midshipmen do so after their sophomore year).

"I knew something was up when we were freshmen and he said he was 21," said senior defensive midfielder Clipper Lennon, Osgood's roommate for four years. "Starting over when you're 21 has to be pretty tough."

Osgood has made the most of it. On top of being accepted to become a Marine pilot navigator, he also led a campaign to send goods to a Marine battalion in Iraq around Christmas. They sent 30 boxes of deodorant, calling cards, CDs, DVDs, water, etc.

"He called us one night [while living in Boston] and said, 'If I ask you to buy me a ticket to BWI but not ask any questions, would you do it?' " Pam Osgood said. "We knew what he was up to. It is very hard to get back into the academy once you leave. We were very afraid he would be disappointed. But we also knew he would always wonder, 'What if?' if he didn't at least try."
CrimsonRed

Post by CrimsonRed »

Why did Navy drop Princeton of their schedule when they had a contract/agreement to play home/away? Amplo picks up Furman and drops Princeton?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CrimsonRed wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 pm Why did Navy drop Princeton of their schedule when they had a contract/agreement to play home/away? Amplo picks up Furman and drops Princeton?
Do you already know the answer since you stated it was Navy who dropped Princeton?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Any thoughts on fallball ? I was only able to view the B-G scrimmage & the NAPS-varsity reserve scrimmage.
Obviously not D1 game level opposition, but I was impressed with the offense nonetheless.
It was like these guys discovered the ability to pass, catch, generate good looks & finish.
It was good to see the B-G participants cheering their underclassmen teammates vs NAPS.
Everybody played in one scrimmage or the other & it looked like fun for all.
Good vibe, on the field, sidelines & in the Rip Miller grandstand. Beautiful fall evening.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am joyfully optimistic. Yes, I was always the optimistic one, even on LaxPower over the past 6+ plus years & always trying to find the positive in the team. Yes, I fought tooth and nail with many, even w/you on occasion OS aka(RR). about subtle changes I'd see in the offense....only for those changes to slip away and not be built upon with success.

The offensive formations and player movement, both on and off ball, are quite promising. Defensively, it's been hard to read. Seems the D are acclimating to something new as well...nothing major, just subtle nuances to positioning while also trying to re-learn the tendencies of many of the offensive players who are also growing and expanding their individual game.

They will look like a different team come spring time. My hope is that not one of them use "new staff/new system" as an excuse for on field performance....that can not be an excuse.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

No excuses. Just learning experiences and teaching moments.

You typically learn more when things don’t go right, but here’s hoping they have plenty to learn from more Wins and fewer Losses.

W
old salt

Post by old salt »

Looks like Navy might have another Dreadnought attackman this spring.
Navy Fball's best O-lineman, #72, Center, Ford Higgins, 6' 2", 260 lbs, Sr.
ESPN2 played part of this clip In tonight's Navy-UConn game.
Carc reported that Coach Amplo's going to give him a look this spring.

https://navysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15524

A 2016 graduate of Greater Atlanta Christian School, Higgins was a three-sport athlete who earned letters in football (3), lacrosse (4) and wrestling (1) ... earned All-State (Ga.) and all-county honors in football his senior year ... Touchdown Club of Atlanta award winner as a senior ... a two-time all-county attackman for the lacrosse team, he was also named All-State his senior season ... set school records for most goals scored in a season, most goals scored in a game and most points in a season ... served as captain of the football and lacrosse teams his senior year ...majoring in applied mathematics.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 am Looks like Navy might have another Dreadnought attackman this spring.
Navy Fball's best O-lineman, #72, Center, Ford Higgins, 6' 2", 260 lbs, Sr.
ESPN2 played part of this clip In tonight's Navy-UConn game.
Carc reported that Coach Amplo's going to give him a look this spring.

https://navysports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15524

A 2016 graduate of Greater Atlanta Christian School, Higgins was a three-sport athlete who earned letters in football (3), lacrosse (4) and wrestling (1) ... earned All-State (Ga.) and all-county honors in football his senior year ... Touchdown Club of Atlanta award winner as a senior ... a two-time all-county attackman for the lacrosse team, he was also named All-State his senior season ... set school records for most goals scored in a season, most goals scored in a game and most points in a season ... served as captain of the football and lacrosse teams his senior year ...majoring in applied mathematics.
He's quite the load!
Too bad he hasn't been on the lax field since HS.
But he could have some real fun this spring.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Reminds me a bit of Richie Petitbon from Gonzaga a few years back. Big attackman with nice hands and nose for the goal...who chose Alabama for football.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

I hope Navy's NCLL national champ club team holds a spot for him, in case he's too rusty to help the varsity.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Navy football has been quite fun to watch. Keep it up.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Navy and their new Satanic Temple. How can the USNA bow to this B.S.???? No backbone. I find this rather ridiculous and just another story of what's wrong with America. The vast majority of Americans are Christians and military academies train warriors to protect our way of life of which our major religion if not the number one priority, should be.

Nothing to do with LAX, but alumni should be fuming and yet I don;t see one NEGATIVE COMMENT.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

genesrfree wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:45 am Navy and their new Satanic Temple. How can the USNA bow to this B.S.???? No backbone. I find this rather ridiculous and just another story of what's wrong with America. The vast majority of Americans are Christians and military academies train warriors to protect our way of life of which our major religion if not the number one priority, should be.

Nothing to do with LAX, but alumni should be fuming and yet I don;t see one NEGATIVE COMMENT.
Whoa, I have no idea what this issue is about, so please link.

But what the heck are you even talking about "our major religion if not the number one priority, should be." ???

Edit: googled Navy Satanic Temple
https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... ademy.html

Sounds like a handful of youngsters want to study this non theistic set of beliefs, asked for a room to meet...not sure how "Satanic" comes into non theism, but this group I don't know anything about.

But to the "Christian" aspect, apparently there are 20 sanctioned religious groups at Navy.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Whoa whoa. The founding fathers did not establish this country as either Christian of a derivative of an imagined Judeo Christian tradition. They founded it based on the principles of the Enlightenment.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”