6 Consecutive Years with a Different Champ

Post by Henpecked »

2014 Duke
2015 Denver
2016 UNC
2017 Maryland
2018 Yale
2019 Virginia

This is the longest streak of consecutive years (6) with a different champion in the modern era. Will this streak continue? Or will one of these teams return to the throne as champions for 2021.

If I had to guess, I would think that Duke has the best chance to end this streak with Maryland chasing closely in the rearview mirror.

If I had to guess who would extend this streak, I would go with Cornell, Syracuse and Penn State in that order.

I am just thrilled that it looks like there will actually be a season. Can’t wait! #Go Hens!
FannOLax

Re: 6 Consecutive Years with a Different Champ

Post by FannOLax »

Well, technically 2020 had no champ, so the streak is over. Setting that aside, if Duke were to win the next national championship, it would remain six consecutive full seasons with a different champion.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm Well, technically 2020 had no champ, so the streak is over. Setting that aside, if Duke were to win the next national championship, it would remain six consecutive full seasons with a different champion.
Alternatively, no champion at all is still "different," so you could argue the streak is actually at 7 years with 6 unique champions.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

jhu08 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm
FannOLax wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm Well, technically 2020 had no champ, so the streak is over. Setting that aside, if Duke were to win the next national championship, it would remain six consecutive full seasons with a different champion.
Alternatively, no champion at all is still "different," so you could argue the streak is actually at 7 years with 6 unique champions.
come on now, we all know that UVA is still the Champion!

So 2 - years in a row....

;) :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Been a nice two-year run HooDat.

Would you consider it a Three-peat if they win this year? :D
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

So much unknown so really hard to predict, on paper Duke and Md look like favorites. The way the season plays out with COVID will also play a role. Hopefully, everyone plays every game on their schedules but based on the fall and winter seasons that is very unlikely. I am however optimistic after sitting on a Zoom call with my son's coach that they are going to do everything possible to make this happen. One thing I learned is we need states to allow gatherings of 500 plus before any fans will be allowed in games, at least that is the rule for the MAAC.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Assuming the pattern continues at least a couple to a few more years, might Notre Dame be one of them?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If Hopkins can't win this year I'm all in on penn state. One of their athletic departments big donors owns the buffalo bills so maybe the magic will spread to their program.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I would bet that one of those 6 teams will win the title this year; so by the standard your suggesting there won't be a "different champ." Will there be a back to back champ? I probably wouldn't put my money on UVA this year; though they'd be in my Top 5
cornfed44

Post by cornfed44 »

The 2020 Champion COVID-19 might be hard to take down this season, especially considering we wont see a NCAA bubble out in Utah. Wouldnt be surprised if we see them repeat this Spring...
cornfed44

Post by cornfed44 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 am 2014 Duke
2015 Denver
2016 UNC
2017 Maryland
2018 Yale
2019 Virginia

This is the longest streak of consecutive years (6) with a different champion in the modern era. Will this streak continue? Or will one of these teams return to the throne as champions for 2021.

If I had to guess, I would think that Duke has the best chance to end this streak with Maryland chasing closely in the rearview mirror.

If I had to guess who would extend this streak, I would go with Cornell, Syracuse and Penn State in that order.

I am just thrilled that it looks like there will actually be a season. Can’t wait! #Go Hens!
Hard to look at this list and think that one of these teams wont win it all again this spring. Definitely going to fade Syracuse hard this spring. Too much pressure for them not to crack on the big stage. Also dont want to hear it from the NY crowd
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

cornfed44 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 am The 2020 Champion COVID-19 might be hard to take down this season, especially considering we wont see a NCAA bubble out in Utah. Wouldnt be surprised if we see them repeat this Spring...
I think you have the right pick - COVID is the heavy favorite to take the title this year, but I am crossing my fingers for an upset....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”