TNLAX

Re: 2021 Schedule News

Post by TNLAX »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:50 pm
TNLAX wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:33 pm
TNLAX wrote:I feel this is the goal of the Ivies, to eliminate student athletes and athletics all together. For the most part the athletes are taking up academic spots from more "qualified" students (not my view, but the administrations view.)
This based on anything? Or just a theory.
It's pretty easy to see the evidence and come to that conclusion. The Ivie's don't live in a different world than all of the other college conferences in which they have played sports in the fall, are playing sports in the winter, etc. If they TRULY do care about athletics, they are only hurting themselves. There are no guarantees in life and it looks like they are looking for some sort of "guarantee " that doesn't exist in order to authorize a spring season. Pretty ridiculous, liability or not.

Joe
Based on conversations I have had with a couple of Ivy league coaches whose teams have been eliminated this past year.
This is downright silly. And always interesting to see those who aren't Ivy alums tell us what Ivy administrations think. :roll:

What D1 schools have the most athletic teams, most total athletes, much less highest percentage of their student bodies that are athletes? Yup, it ain't Alabama...or Penn State or...Syracuse or...

What the Ivies don't emphasize is athletics for money.

Nor do they consider athletes 'special' relative to other students, no special consideration.

Nor are they going to ignore their social responsibility specifically for athletes.

I do agree that it would be a shame if the Ivies can't figure out a way to have some sort of spring season for their teams, but if they're not bringing all four classes back to campus, they're not going to be able to field full teams...I don't see them treating the athletes differently than the rest of the students.

It's going to need a decision to bring all four classes back to campus...IMO.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the wishful thinking of those who think that their decision to not play another season would significantly impact their success over the longer term...athletes don't choose these schools because they think they are the easiest schools to get into that play top flight D1 ball, the highest probability of post season play, a national championship...they go there because they're the hardest to get into, the most challenging, yet play top flight ball...that's not going to change because there's no Ivy in post season play this year.
excellant points
https://harvardmagazine.com/2020/08/ivy-athletic-future
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

From the article:

Dartmouth said its cuts will help address a $150-million financial deficit, but added that the changes also allow more flexibility in admissions by reducing the number of recruited athletes in incoming classes by 10 percent.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

This thread is about schedule news. If you want to debate something else find a different thread or start a new one.
Thanks
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

TNLAX wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:47 am
DU-fan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 am
TNLAX wrote:I feel this is the goal of the Ivies, to eliminate student athletes and athletics all together. For the most part the athletes are taking up academic spots from more "qualified" students (not my view, but the administrations view.)
It's pretty easy to see the evidence and come to that conclusion. The Ivie's don't live in a different world than all of the other college conferences in which they have played sports in the fall, are playing sports in the winter, etc. If they TRULY do care about athletics, they are only hurting themselves. There are no guarantees in life and it looks like they are looking for some sort of "guarantee " that doesn't exist in order to authorize a spring season. Pretty ridiculous, liability or not.

Joe
Based on conversations I have had with a couple of Ivy league coaches whose teams have been eliminated this past year.
This is downright silly. And always interesting to see those who aren't Ivy alums tell us what Ivy administrations think. :roll:

What D1 schools have the most athletic teams, most total athletes, much less highest percentage of their student bodies that are athletes? Yup, it ain't Alabama...or Penn State or...Syracuse or...

Nor do they consider athletes 'special' relative to other students, no special consideration.

Nor are they going to ignore their social responsibility specifically for athletes.

I do agree that it would be a shame if the Ivies can't figure out a way to have some sort of spring season for their teams, but if they're not bringing all four classes back to campus, they're not going to be able to field full teams...I don't see them treating the athletes differently than the rest of the students.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the wishful thinking of those who think that their decision to not play another season would significantly impact their success over the longer term...athletes don't choose these schools because they think they are the easiest schools to get into that play top flight D1 ball, the highest probability of post season play, a national championship...they go there because they're the hardest to get into, the most challenging, yet play top flight ball...that's not going to change because there's no Ivy in post season play this year.
excellant points
https://harvardmagazine.com/2020/08/ivy-athletic-future
Yup, and note that the article makes clear that these schools have far more teams than do other D1 schools and a much higher percentage of athletes relative to their student bodies. Yet, these schools are among the very most selective academically.

Is there ALWAYS pressure to be sure that the student body is diverse in lots of ways and of very high academic excellence? You betcha...that's not going away either. It was part of the discussion 44 years ago when I was admitted (and alums were unhappy because their sons weren't getting automatically admitted...darn girls...) and it's going to continue for decades going forward.

Back to scheduling...any disagreement that the key is whether the schools decide all 4 classes can be on campus at the same time this spring?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Would think there will be a lot of schools posting their 2021 schedules this week.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Has anyone heard when ESPN will start to post upcoming lacrosse games to stream? I would expect to start to see ESPN+ games posted soon.

Any news when B1G will share lacrosse TV schedules?
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Stony Brook schedule partially posted (7 games):
https://stonybrookathletics.com/sports/ ... edule/2021

Mar 20 (Sat) TBA Away UMass Lowell Lowell, Mass.
Mar 27 (Sat) TBA Home Albany Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
Apr 3 (Sat) TBA Away Hartford West Hartford, Conn.
Apr 10 (Sat) TBA Away NJIT Newark, N.J.
Apr 17 (Sat) TBA Home Binghamton Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
Apr 24 (Sat) TBA Home UMBC Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
May 1 (Sat) TBA Away Vermont Burlington, Vt.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am Has anyone heard when ESPN will start to post upcoming lacrosse games to stream? I would expect to start to see ESPN+ games posted soon.
It's usually not until the last week of January. Last year ESPN announced on Jan. 30. So given all the uncertainty this year it may not be finalized until a week or two after that.

However if you look at the upcoming schedule in the ESPN app they've started to add a few without teams listed: one at 4pm on Feb. 6 and another at 6pm on Feb. 13. Both on ACC Network. It's possible these are just placeholders or replays of old games—but it's something.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 am
DU-fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am Has anyone heard when ESPN will start to post upcoming lacrosse games to stream? I would expect to start to see ESPN+ games posted soon.
It's usually not until the last week of January. Last year ESPN announced on Jan. 30. So given all the uncertainty this year it may not be finalized until a week or two after that.

However if you look at the upcoming schedule in the ESPN app they've started to add a few without teams listed: one at 4pm on Feb. 6 and another at 6pm on Feb. 13. Both on ACC Network. It's possible these are just placeholders or replays of old games—but it's something.
I see a game on Feb 7th at 2PM scheduled now too.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am

I wouldn't take that schedule too seriously. Not entirely sure how much ESPN knows about the schedule as of yet, and it could all change with college hoops reschedulings and what not. But I do think ACC Network will have a good chunk of games to start before ESPNU revs things up.
118:24 #HHH
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

cuseman4133 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 am
DU-fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am

I wouldn't take that schedule too seriously. Not entirely sure how much ESPN knows about the schedule as of yet, and it could all change with college hoops reschedulings and what not. But I do think ACC Network will have a good chunk of games to start before ESPNU revs things up.
Good point. However, before teams can finalize their schedules, coaches try to align times with the ACC Network, B1G, or ESPN, if the game will be televised. I think that is how the ACCN gets the game placeholder and the ESPN app shows it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 am Stony Brook schedule partially posted (7 games):
https://stonybrookathletics.com/sports/ ... edule/2021

Mar 20 (Sat) TBA Away UMass Lowell Lowell, Mass.
Mar 27 (Sat) TBA Home Albany Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
Apr 3 (Sat) TBA Away Hartford West Hartford, Conn.
Apr 10 (Sat) TBA Away NJIT Newark, N.J.
Apr 17 (Sat) TBA Home Binghamton Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
Apr 24 (Sat) TBA Home UMBC Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium)
May 1 (Sat) TBA Away Vermont Burlington, Vt.
So America East is taking the lead here, get a
conference schedule together, fill in any OOC
games, subject to change or cancellations dependent
on Covid conditions and state mandates.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Joe

All excellent points. The Ivies sponsor MORE athletic roster spots per student than most other colleges. There is a big difference between supporting athletics and supporting athletics while balancing all the other factors of college life - esp while maintaining strict academic standards. The Ivies have always supported athletics....

Which is why, I stated that an Ivy decision to opt out would be political - others jumped in with the idea of nefarious agendas to kill athletics.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Included only the Men's schedule excerpts: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sse-season

Twelve days out from the first known scheduled game of the 2021 season, most NCAA Division I men’s and women’s lacrosse teams are still finalizing their schedules for the spring — working out conference schedules first before moving to slot in as many non-conferences as permitted by their institution or conference.

Privately, most coaches have an idea of their schedules, but final schedules won’t be released until approved by administrators. COVID-19 protocols and travel restrictions are a sticking point for many. Some teams have set schedules with games beginning as early as Feb. 13. The earliest game appears to be Jan. 30, when Bellarmine visits Mercer — according to the schedule the Knights released on Twitter last week — and Utah opens at Denver.

The America East, Big Ten and Ivy League remain the least clear about exactly how their seasons will unfold. Here’s a snapshot of each conference’s scheduling format as of Monday morning.

AMERICA EAST (M)
Conference: Expected that teams will play two teams twice apiece and five other teams once each.

Non-conference: Full schedule possible at the discretion of each program. No weekday games between March and April so make-up games can be scheduled then.

Conference tournament: Top four teams May 6-8 hosted by top seed.

ACC (M)
Conference: Six games – playing two teams twice and two teams once. Each team will have three home and three away games.

Non-conference: Up to the discretion of each institution.

Conference tournament: None this year. “Regardless of what it looks like, it’s going to be an arduous journey for the players,” said Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan, whose team won’t start practicing until Jan. 27. “To focus through all the protocols and everything else, it’s exhausting. The social restrictions, logistical restrictions of every single day, it gives you a headache. Just how to just get guys through the locker room. Things you never gave seconds of thought to before. That’s exhausting for everybody.”

BIG EAST (M)
Conference: Double round robin with each team playing home and away.

Non-conference: Full schedule possible at the discretion of each program.

Conference tournament: Top four teams the weekend of May 6 at Providence.

BIG TEN (M/W)
Conference: Still in the process of formalizing a double round-robin schedule. Games potentially starting Feb. 13 for women and Feb. 20 for men.

Non-conference: Due to stringent testing requirements, expected to be severely limited if at all for possible opponents. The Big Ten tests athletes six times per week.

Conference tournament: Expected to happen, but no further details. “We hope to know more details in late January or early February,” Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse coach Peter Milliman said in an email sent to team supporters Sunday. “It is possible that we may engage in some non-conference games, but the majority of our schedule will be dedicated to competition within the Big [Ten].” Milliman also said he does not anticipate there would be spectators allowed at games. 

CAA (M)
Conference: Eight games with four home and four away. Teams face four teams once apiece and two teams twice each.

Non-conference: Up to each institution’s discretion. “My administration has been wonderful to work with,” Hofstra coach Seth Tierney said. “We’re trying to base it on 75 percent of what we’d allow. We’re hopeful to get into the lower teens — 12, 13, 14 games. They’ve asked all the teams to be as financially sensitive and feasible as possible. If it’s an overnight situation, bring it forward and decide if it’s worth it.”

Conference tournament: Top four teams will play at Hofstra, which was selected to minimize travel for all teams, on May 6-8.

INDEPENDENTS
Utah has three home games on its schedule. It had six, but three teams backed out of trips.

“For me, it’s not that far out of the norm,” Utah coach Brian Holman said. “I’m fighting and scrapping and clawing to get games.”

The Utes open Jan. 30 at Denver and still have open dates to fill. Among their home games is new independent Robert Morris coming to them.

“We might be a hot commodity for some teams needing to pick up a game versus us having to really struggle to get teams to play us,” Holman said. “We’re going to be willing to fly just about anywhere to play just about anybody.”

IVY LEAGUE (M/W)
Still not a lot of clarity on how the Ivies will proceed even after a coaches meeting last Thursday. Ivy teams are supposed to be able to start practicing Feb. 1. The Princeton and Harvard women don’t have all their players this season, and Dartmouth will be missing one-third of its players during its winter semester.

“I would be up for practice just so we’re not behind and they could have an outlet,” Penn women’s coach Karin Corbett said. “That’s so hard. I would love to practice. The games are icing on the cake. Practice, we could make it competitive and fun.”

Questions remain about how they will play games. Several Ivy League institutions have such restrictive COVID-19 policies at the moment that they could not travel. Ivy teams also have to go through a three-phase approach to even get to games. None of the Ivy teams got out of Phase 1 in the fall, which limited them to practicing in pods of fewer than 10 players while socially distanced, doing skill work, lifting and conditioning.

A rumored plan to bubble the league for weeks for conference play seems unlikely. “I doubt that’s going to happen because the Ivy League doesn’t do different things for the athletes,” Corbett said. “They’re not going to do that from my understanding, anything special for the athletes versus other kids on campus.”

MAAC (M)
Conference: Teams will play on Saturdays from Feb. 20 until the built-in make-up date of May 1. The first three pod games will not count for conference standings before playing a single round-robin schedule.

Pods: Manhattan, Marist, Monmouth and Quinnipiac are one pod. Canisius, Detroit Mercy, St. Bonaventure and Siena are the other pod. “We felt the best thing to do is keep it as normal as possible,” Marist coach Keegan Wilkinson said. “We’ve got a seven-game schedule, which kept our conference schedule as is.”

Non-conference: No non-conference games.

Conference tournament: Top four teams meet the second weekend in May at the home of highest seed.

NEC (M)
Conference: Seven-game schedule with April 27 and May 1 open to reschedule any postponements.

Non-conference: Some institutions have limited the number. To help with scheduling more games, the conference opened March 2 and 6 to schedule with NEC teams that will not count toward conference standings.

Conference tournament: Top four teams meet the second weekend of May.
PATRIOT LEAGUE (M)
Conference: Seven games with teams split into two pods. Four games count in standings. Navy, for instance, will play Loyola twice but only one meeting counts toward the standings. They’ll also cross over to play Army and Holy Cross.

North pod: Army, Boston University, Colgate and Holy Cross.

South pod: Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola and Navy. Conference play starts Mar. 6 and there’s a built-in weekend for make-up games.

Non-conference: Up to each institution’s discretion to schedule. Games begin Feb. 20.

Conference tournament: Top two teams from each pod qualify for the tournament May 7-9.

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE (M)
Conference: Single round robin like previous years. “We’ll be ready to adapt if needed,” Richmond coach Dan Chemotti said. “Hopefully this plan stays.”

Non-conference: Up to individual institution’s discretion.

Conference tournament: Top four teams expected to play at Richmond on May 6-8.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Great summary, thank you. Doesn't sound good for the Ivys, looks like everyone else is ready to give it a go. Hopefully, this surge slows down and vaccinations start to help. Good luck to all!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Joe

All excellent points. The Ivies sponsor MORE athletic roster spots per student than most other colleges. There is a big difference between supporting athletics and supporting athletics while balancing all the other factors of college life - esp while maintaining strict academic standards. The Ivies have always supported athletics....

Which is why, I stated that an Ivy decision to opt out would be political - others jumped in with the idea of nefarious agendas to kill athletics.
Agreed, though the word "political" seems a bit loaded (esp. these days), may or may not mean what you intend.

To me, the 'politics' are more about who controls the decision at these schools, those with a heavy lean toward social/public health responsibility or those looking primarily at finances? (this goes for all colleges/universities, not just Ivies). The Ivies may be in a better position to weather some decisions that err to the side of the social/public health responsibility and may well have leaders with that proclivity in general versus say an SEC University looking at basketball or football revenue, tuition revenue etc. You're indeed going to have different leadership cultures based on those realities...

It's not about caring about athletes or not, but it could be about how much a school needs to care about short term finances...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:10 pm Great summary, thank you. Doesn't sound good for the Ivys, looks like everyone else is ready to give it a go. Hopefully, this surge slows down and vaccinations start to help. Good luck to all!
Agreed, great summary and update.

Sounds to me like they're All willing to do what they can given overall school restrictions, and all are severely impacted in terms of # of games, spectators, tournaments etc.

I suspect a lot of this will be played out week to week. Fingers crossed on vaccines etc.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:39 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Joe

Agreed, though the word "political" seems a bit loaded (esp. these days), may or may not mean what you intend.

To me, the 'politics' are more about who controls the decision at these schools, those with a heavy lean toward social/public health responsibility or those looking primarily at finances? (this goes for all colleges/universities, not just Ivies). The Ivies may be in a better position to weather some decisions that err to the side of the social/public health responsibility and may well have leaders with that proclivity in general versus say an SEC University looking at basketball or football revenue, tuition revenue etc. You're indeed going to have different leadership cultures based on those realities...

It's not about caring about athletes or not, but it could be about how much a school needs to care about short term finances...
This is heavily biased. You do this with EVERY thread you post in. Come in and act like the "voice of reason". They are the only conference that is potentially not going to play lacrosse. Don't spin in it any other way than that. It's not the "right" thing or even the "wrong" thing, but it is going to hurt these programs with potential student-athletes. Whether or not you take your damn blinders off and see that is a different story. You simply do not know how to state your opinion without sounding like it is an indisputable fact. If they cared about athletics at all, they would have provided at least a preliminary press release dictating what a potential season would look like, not some extremely confusing terse update that in actuality was not much of an update AT ALL. Cut the crap, with this "voice of reason" crap, you do it CONSTANTLY. Never once have I ever seen you say, "Ah, I see where you are coming from there" in regards to any post that you feel disrupts, doesn't agree with or goes against your political ideologies. The Ivies are not doing anything that should be lauded by potentially not even trying to have a season. These kids dream their whole life about being student-athletes, and to not at least attempt to have a season is mind boggling to me.It's an outdoor sport, which helps tremendously, travel is relatively minimal within the conference due to all the schools being within the northeast corridor and these schools all have loads of $$$. I can't hold my tongue anymore because I can almost predict when you are going to pop up with a post that's SO contrary to what every has been currently discussing. Like clockwork. Maybe it's the forum setting, but I cannot imagine you being like this in a regular conversational setting... :roll: :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

man, you're an angry cuss, Joe!

. " I can't hold my tongue anymore.." :roll:

And wrong, but that's your right...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”