D1 Mens Lacrosse
mocking jay

Re: Yale 2021

Post by mocking jay »

Urich was a well known procrastinator. Many thought him lazy. Just saying
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Atticus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 pm Yeah, i’m with Lax3. I’ve never met Coach Urick but why is he getting buried on this board which is usually very positive (for good reason)?

MDLax, you post so many great perspectives on the Dartmouth board (which I also follow closely). i am surprised you are going after this coach who apparently was not interested in your son. Is that a crime?

We’ve all been though that. My sons, my wife and I certainly have been through that and guess what? We are all surely better off for it. Life is like that! Thank you coaches for guiding my sons to where they ended up. Haha. Please get over it, guys. It comes with the territory. It’s not personal.
:D It certainly wasn't damaging to my son, indeed it was an interesting life lesson. I quite agree with you!

Lots of coaches were 'not interested' (only a few top lax programs were). No issue with that, as he didn't start on his HS team until his senior year, so wasn't among the most touted of tenders early on.

However, the discussion was about various coaching styles and programs built. Urich was brought up as someone who attracted some blue chips but not necessarily the right pieces, or the right development. So is generally thought to have underperformed 'talent', whereas Loyola was offered as an example of over performing, later attracting more 'blue chip' types...ala Shay and Yale's trajectory. The latter being the connection to this thread.

I responded to the Urich post with a specific example of what I called "laziness" at the end of a career, but perhaps 'lost fire in the belly' might have been a better way to say it. It was a specific instance in which a coaching staff professed interest, invited a visit, but then the HC was wholly unprepared. GT was well down the list for my son going in, but definitely in the zone of possibilities, and heck just an hour from our home!...seeing the approach of different coaches throughout the process, some energetic, some not, some prepared, some not, all of it was a life lesson about effort and attention to detail. This particular experience provided a good opportunity to discuss such traits.

mocking jay says "procrastinator"...could be, my own sense was that Urich had simply lost the fire in the belly. I quite agree that he'd had a long, successful tenure in our sport, deserving of significant respect (and undoubtedly deserving of great fondness from his many players over the years!). But at the end of his career, there was certainly a difference...and the experience I offered up was just a data point. But it was not entirely a surprise to me, given my following the more recent trajectory, though it was such a striking, almost comical, seeming example of lack of preparation that it stood out. I'd note that it was 12 months later that Urich left GT...

As to discussing coaches on these threads, I think we (the posters involved as Fanlax was being formed to replace LaxPower) quite consciously asked that we be able to discuss coaches more openly without mods censoring out those discussions preferentially based on the mods' friendships...old boy networks, etc. Very frustrating on LaxPower...

That said, I do think civility in the process of such discussion is worth asking of each other. Just my opinion, though...I respect others'.

BTW, I'd contrast that visit to GT to the one with Shay at Yale. Andy was apparently quite clear with my son in person that he wasn't going to use a slot on a goalie that year but that he'd be very pleased if he managed to get in without the extra support, good visit around campus, athletic facilities etc. He'd watched him play and was well informed. Good, clear follow up note from Andy to that effect as well. I was impressed with the clarity, sound approach. Only so many slots and Andy prioritized elsewhere based on his assessments of his team's needs. We understood the rationale as Andy had a nice young goalie in development the year above, and he indeed didn't take a tender in that class. Fortunately, despite much the same goalie backlog situation, a month later my son got the nod from the school that had been his #1 choice since sophomore year, same educational opportunity level. My son's view was that no matter where he went, there'd be another tender or two above him that was good, perhaps very good, so he'd need to win the job wherever, not be awarded it.

Compliments to Shay!

Edit: a fellow poster just kindly shared with me some additional possible context that may have contributed, even then, to the experience recalled above. Very best wishes to Dave and his family. Hard.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm IL on first-year Jack Stuzin: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ayer/57026
Thanks, Fann, I really enjoyed this article on Stuzin -- it gives a great insight into the type of kid who succeeds for Coach Shay and the young man's observations about the approach in the academic realm certainly rings true. I still remember going into Reading Week with a big stack of history books that I needed to make sure I finished up to be ready for exams. Hats off to this generation's Yale student-athletes who are keeping up with the academic pace despite significantly more demands from the athletic side of the equation.

Here's wishing you all a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Atticus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 pm Yeah, i’m with Lax3. I’ve never met Coach Urick but why is he getting buried on this board which is usually very positive (for good reason)?

MDLax, you post so many great perspectives on the Dartmouth board (which I also follow closely). i am surprised you are going after this coach who apparently was not interested in your son. Is that a crime?

We’ve all been though that. My sons, my wife and I certainly have been through that and guess what? We are all surely better off for it. Life is like that! Thank you coaches for guiding my sons to where they ended up. Haha. Please get over it, guys. It comes with the territory. It’s not personal.
You guys are both off base, I, as a passionate Hobart alum who knew Scott as a young kid as well as Dave, brought him up as one example of a coach who breaks through with success to get access to the IL type top HS kids but struggled to get the right ones to fit their system and culture. Happens to others in every sport and my point was that elevating a program into the level where you can hand pick your recruits has a ton of risk if you get the wrong personalities. I’ll never forget watching GTown warm up in Geneva in 2009 with Broncaccio and that whole #1 rated crew, looking like preening ponies. Until we’re up 14-5 in Q3 and they’re resorting to cheap shots taking one of our players (Tim bigelow) out with a concussion he never recovered from. The only kid busting his a** through the end for GTown? Nick Mirabito, a blue collar kid from section 4 in upstate NY, not all the Landon, GTown Prep whatever kids who merited that top recruiting class ranking. That is the risk Shay needs to manage or avoid now that he isn’t pulling Ben Reeves out form under us but taking who he wants from the top of the pile. Urick isn’t the only one but a part of his downfall was the pool opening up to him in 2005-2008 unlike was was available when he was recruiting Brodie Merrill and Wallid Haaj
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:48 am
FannOLax wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm IL on first-year Jack Stuzin: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ayer/57026
Thanks, Fann, I really enjoyed this article on Stuzin -- it gives a great insight into the type of kid who succeeds for Coach Shay and the young man's observations about the approach in the academic realm certainly rings true. I still remember going into Reading Week with a big stack of history books that I needed to make sure I finished up to be ready for exams. Hats off to this generation's Yale student-athletes who are keeping up with the academic pace despite significantly more demands from the athletic side of the equation.

Here's wishing you all a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
You're welcome, Orfling; and I agree with your observations about Stuzin and what it takes to succeed. The latter half the article looks at the overall Yale class of 2024. I guess Charlie Weitzel isn't afraid of stepping into his older brother's shadow. There appears to be plenty of talent in the class of 2024, but I was surprised by the lack of a goalie. With 2021 being Jack Starr's senior year, before long we'll be needing a new net-minder. If I recall correctly, there were some pretty high hopes for both 2023 goalie Jared Paquette and 2022 goalie Miles Leniw.

Yes, a happy, safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving to all.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:03 pm Christian Johnson.
https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 749203.php
Thanks for posting that. I am going to make an effort to meet him. He is going to do well there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2020/12/1 ... -list.aspx

TD # 2 men's player behind Sowers...
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Well, the smartest guys in the room are about to cause the greatest FOGO of all time to leave Yale ...

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2021/57173

What a joke. Rest of the leagues are all playing but Ivies - again, the alleged smartest guys in the room - are going to screw it up for some great players.
molo

Post by molo »

Or just maybe the Ivy League thinks that some issues are more important than sports. This is from an Ivy reject who holds no brief for Yale or the league.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Yale has bent over backwards for this young man. I respect his freedom to chose, but I'm a bit disappointed in his going to the press and questioning the league's attention to health and safety of students.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

I respect those views but is there a reason why every other league in America at the D1 level has announced a schedule, even if abbreviated, yet the Ivies have not? Again, I know that sports are less important to the Ivies, but when everyone in the neighborhood says that they are doing something based on known fact patterns doesn't it appear obnoxious for one group to not at the very least make a decision?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Open letter from Yale Baseball captain to the Ivy League Presidents on why they should play

https://twitter.com/cal_christofori/sta ... 64801?s=21
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

given the state of covid, it will be a hard sell for the ivies to greenlight spring after nixing fall and winter.

they would need a great couple weeks on covid numbers and vaccine execution. that also portends it continues, as a direct result. even then, tough sell.

then throw in all the students and their ability to come back to campus. or not.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:00 pm Yale has bent over backwards for this young man. I respect his freedom to chose, but I'm a bit disappointed in his going to the press and questioning the league's attention to health and safety of students.
An Ivy League student going to the press to question a hierarchical decision? Say it isn’t so!
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Is anyone on here sufficiently informed to be able to share with us the answers to a couple questions?

1) How would TD be eligible to play this spring at Yale if he has already satisfied his degree requirements?

2) or the corollary, if not completed, how does he get a Yale degree if he transfers before completion?

3) or how does he transfer twice as an undergrad without a year layoff?

I'm puzzled, though obviously there must be an explanation...or a COVID exception?
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

It is a great question that I certainly do not have the answer to. What is surprising to me is that Yale as an institution would allow what appears to be "transfer foolishness" to occur. And that the NCAA would allow it as well.

I am equally perplexed by the ability of Dox Aitken to leave UVA, enroll at Villanova, and then when their football season does not materialize he mysteriously reappears on the UVA roster.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:04 pm Is anyone on here sufficiently informed to be able to share with us the answers to a couple questions?

1) How would TD be eligible to play this spring at Yale if he has already satisfied his degree requirements?

2) or the corollary, if not completed, how does he get a Yale degree if he transfers before completion?

3) or how does he transfer twice as an undergrad without a year layoff?

I'm puzzled, though obviously there must be an explanation...or a COVID exception?
the answers to questions 1 and 2 are in the article:
In TD's case, the timing means that nothing is straightforward when it comes to his enrollment at Denver, where he'll take a class that Ierlan says will transfer back over in order for him to graduate with a Yale degree. At some point, Ierlan will also have to complete a senior thesis.

coming in @ game 9 is... different. at least he'll be fresh.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I do not begrudge the kid for wanting to play. In general I'm in favor of letting these kids basically...do what they want. The rules should be created to benefit the student-athletes, not the schools. If he wants to transfer, let him.

But man, there is just something real dubious about parachuting in, literally in the middle of a season, to play for just a handful of games while all of your teammates back home aren't afforded the same luxury. When the news of his potential transfer first broke I assumed he'd find a way to get to a new school at least before the season started. But apparently it won't be for a month or two. Playing out half a season at one school while completing your degree at another is probably something that should not be possible, but again I don't really fault TD for taking advantage of a loophole that's presented to him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”