Impact of Football in Spring.

D1 Mens Lacrosse
palaxoff

Impact of Football in Spring.

Post by palaxoff »

Seeing articles that the Big 10 and Power 5 are seriously considering cancelling fall sports and moving them to spring. They had Power 5 meeting last night.

Will moving those sports to the spring have a impact on lacrosse. The obvious one is facility space. A potential positive would be that money coming in from TV revenue for football will not be lost helping schools maintain the other sports.
bauer4429

Re: Impact of Football in Spring.

Post by bauer4429 »

I think it will depend on the college and the facilities they possess. Some are well equipped with multiple fields, stadiums and training rooms, others have one shared weight room, one stadium, and only one or two fields. As a revenue generator I would think football would take precedence at colleges with limited facilities. D3 colleges may just scrap it all and wait till next year. The only sport sheltered from the impact of multiple teams vying for practice and game space may be hockey ..... unless the other teams plan to put on skates.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Detroit Free Press is reporting that the Big Ten has cancelled the fall football season...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

can't wait for quint to cover a penn state/jhu lax game at noon and penn state/ohio state football game at night. double headers.
KPRSLacrosse

Post by KPRSLacrosse »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 pm can't wait for quint to cover a penn state/jhu lax game at noon and penn state/ohio state football game at night. double headers.
this would actually be pretty awesome
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

KPRSLacrosse wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 pm can't wait for quint to cover a penn state/jhu lax game at noon and penn state/ohio state football game at night. double headers.
this would actually be pretty awesome
+1. Could be good for the game.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 pm Detroit Free Press is reporting that the Big Ten has cancelled the fall football season...
Y’all know this report has been deemed false now. B1G likely pushing season back season instead of cancelling. And y’all do know that spring football is not even feasible. It’s just conferences blowing smoke. Only two leagues I would expect to actually pull off a spring season is Ivy and Patriot League.
harflax

Post by harflax »

You can't play football in spring of 2021 and then come back a few months later and play in the fall of 21. Talk about the safety and health of the players? You can't play 20 football games within one calendar year.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

harflax wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm You can't play football in spring of 2021 and then come back a few months later and play in the fall of 21. Talk about the safety and health of the players? You can't play 20 football games within one calendar year.
That’s a very good point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 pm
harflax wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm You can't play football in spring of 2021 and then come back a few months later and play in the fall of 21. Talk about the safety and health of the players? You can't play 20 football games within one calendar year.
thats what the nhl is doing.

Nebraska says if no football it loses $80-$100 million. Stanford w $ out the tush already cut 6 sports. if they cancel we're probably going to lose several hundred d1 sports programs.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:35 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 pm Detroit Free Press is reporting that the Big Ten has cancelled the fall football season...
Y’all know this report has been deemed false now. B1G likely pushing season back season instead of cancelling. And y’all do know that spring football is not even feasible. It’s just conferences blowing smoke. Only two leagues I would expect to actually pull off a spring season is Ivy and Patriot League.
Mountain West has postponed fall sports indefinitely. That’s an FBS conference.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08 ... all-season

Big Ten is voting tomorrow morning. Considering delay to either September 26 or the Spring.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

I suspect college football is not happening this Fall. Big Ten vote will be key. We will know soon.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Nebraska says if no football it loses $80-$100 million. Stanford w $ out the tush already cut 6 sports. if they cancel we're probably going to lose several hundred d1 sports programs.
They brought up this very point tonight on CNN. Whether some on here like it or not, football and basketball fund a lot of other sports. I agree we may see several sports dropped for universities to save $$.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:13 am

Big Ten is voting tomorrow morning. Considering delay to either September 26 or the Spring.

I suspect college football is not happening this Fall. Big Ten vote will be key. We will know soon.

DocBarrister
P12 Presidents are also voting tomorrow.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 am

DocBarrister
P12 Presidents are also voting tomorrow.
Yes, and word is they will cancel or postpone until Spring, in part due to the risk of Covid-19-related myocarditis.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-BB17NGw8

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

DocBarrister
Yes. They say they will but they won’t actually pull it off. And I happen to know for a fact that the ACC and SEC, and likely Big 12, will go ahead even if Big Ten and Pac 12 cancel.

Multiple Big Ten schools will leave the conference or play on their own if the conference cancels. I’m from the South son, and we are 100% having some form of college football down here. Will it work? Who knows and I hope it’s not full stands like some schools *cough* Ole Miss *cough* continue to say. But we are at least gonna try unlike some of y’all up north. We’ll see how it goes and hopefully teams that play can finish the season without much interruption.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes but hockey, while violent, isn’t football. They routinely play multiple games a week. And that is pro, not college. I don’t see how you could have college football in the spring then bring them back in the fall with only 3 months off (if that given pre-season camp).
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Stanford did not cut sports to save money. I expect that the alumni could have endowed the cost of those programs in a week. But, Stanford explicitly said that no amount of donations would save those sports. Nor did they cut those sports because they were non-competitive. At least one recent Olympian was a Stanford Fencer. They just hated the make-up of those teams.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Multiple Big Ten schools will leave the conference or play on their own if the conference cancels. I’m from the South son, and we are 100% having some form of college football down here. Will it work? Who knows and I hope it’s not full stands like some schools *cough* Ole Miss *cough* continue to say. But we are at least gonna try unlike some of y’all up north. We’ll see how it goes and hopefully teams that play can finish the season without much interruption.
So here is my questions: do you trust the thousands of athletes, coaches, support staff, maintenance staff, officials, and media to strictly adhere to the guidelines laid out. If not it might be a futile effort.

My hunch is there are a few reasons schools are hedging their bets.
1. Push back from student athletes, it has created a liability the schools may not want to deal with. You are not paying these athletes, they are student in your organization.
2. COVID 19 testing.
Cost: Football requires 2 test a week, multiple that by 125 players and coaches over 14-16 weeks probably $250,000.
Time: The reason a lot of schools are going virtually is the testing time has gotten a lot longer, it is usually a week not 1-2 days.
3. The Athletes. A fellow coach once said to me a long time ago, from 14 to 22 the concept of consequences leaves their brains. How many times have you asked your children or players why did you do that or did you think that was a good idea and gotten "I don't know" or "I didn't think about it". Colleges have to dealing with that since they started, add lack of supervision and other factors that may inhibit good choices it is going to be hard to control them. College know that. Based on the anecdotal stories I have heard about kids getting together this summer after things started to loosen up it wasn't good
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 am

DocBarrister
Yes. They say they will but they won’t actually pull it off. And I happen to know for a fact that the ACC and SEC, and likely Big 12, will go ahead even if Big Ten and Pac 12 cancel.

I suspect the SEC would bounce UK to a northern conference in a hot minute if they could. The basketball just doesn’t matter in the south as you surely know.

I’m also not sure the ACC will be hanging in there and the financial consequences of ESPN and cable in general struggling mightily is going to affect every region within two years no matter how dogmatic some gulf coast states are about football. The in state rivalry games that are OOC are done - Ga Tech/UGA, Clemson/South Carolina (because even after ten years down here I can’t imagine they are more known as USC than SoCal), UF/Fla St, etc. that’s a huge problem.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”