Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by Wheels »

Many D3 schools will go back for 2 reasons. 1) Revenue. Schools need students back in the dorms, so opening the whole university back up means sports. 2) Schools have learned that a primary way to control the spread of the virus is to actually have sports occur. Students don't want to miss games and are far more likely to adhere to masks and social distancing if they know they'll miss another season if everyone doesn't follow the rules. Lots of athletes live together in off-campus housing and have been throwing parties...because they have nothing to do. Several places around the country were CDC-defined hot spots due to athletes throwing parties and spreading the virus.

Can't say this applies to D1 but D3 seasons will happen in many conferences.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Tdemling6 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 pm Y'all, don't watch what's happening to winter sports as far as cancelations and try to apply it to what could happen in lacrosse. Basketball and hockey are inside games. Lacrosse is outside. And lacrosse has more guys on a roster. In CBB one positive test means the whole team quarantine because there is fewer players and they are inside an enclosed area. Lacrosse won't be like that and hopefully, this thing is died down much more by Feb. Should peak fully around Thanksgiving and the Christmas and New Years' holidays and then fall drastically.

Cancelations in winter sports have no bearing on decisions about spring sports at all. If a school or conference for some reason looks at them similar then a leadership change is needed. Let the boys play!
Couple of differences: Virus was less ubiquitous, and there were widespread shutdowns in high outbreak areas.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

If there were ever a time for season to start later and extend Championship Weekend into June it is 2021. If we open in March would allow time for vaccine rollout to get going and increase our odds of having more fans at games later in season. Has anyone heard any buzz about considering this? Either way starting in early February would be bad idea and should at least move to later in February.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:05 am If there were ever a time for season to start later and extend Championship Weekend into June it is 2021. If we open in March would allow time for vaccine rollout to get going and increase our odds of having more fans at games later in season. Has anyone heard any buzz about considering this? Either way starting in early February would be bad idea and should at least move to later in February.
I disagree, I think the season should start on time or even a bit earlier than usual. We have learned that no matter what any particular program or professional team does to limit spread of the virus, it goes where it wants and infections happen. There WILL be cancelled and rescheduled games during this lacrosse season if it proceeds, and the more time you leave for that eventuality the more likely it is that a full-ish season will be played by most programs, and that some kind of NCAA postseason will take place.

The good news is that most NCAA lacrosse players will have been exposed to the virus by February 1st one way or the other - being on a campus, travel, socializing with friends and family over the holidays - and thus I believe that we will see fewer infections, and fewer postponements, than we have in other sports.

If these college presidents and ADs can muster the courage - and money - to move forward with a season, I believe it will go relatively well.

Cheers!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

JBFortunato wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:02 pm
hofstrapride1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:05 am If there were ever a time for season to start later and extend Championship Weekend into June it is 2021. If we open in March would allow time for vaccine rollout to get going and increase our odds of having more fans at games later in season. Has anyone heard any buzz about considering this? Either way starting in early February would be bad idea and should at least move to later in February.
I disagree, I think the season should start on time or even a bit earlier than usual. We have learned that no matter what any particular program or professional team does to limit spread of the virus, it goes where it wants and infections happen. There WILL be cancelled and rescheduled games during this lacrosse season if it proceeds, and the more time you leave for that eventuality the more likely it is that a full-ish season will be played by most programs, and that some kind of NCAA postseason will take place.

The good news is that most NCAA lacrosse players will have been exposed to the virus by February 1st one way or the other - being on a campus, travel, socializing with friends and family over the holidays - and thus I believe that we will see fewer infections, and fewer postponements, than we have in other sports.

If these college presidents and ADs can muster the courage - and money - to move forward with a season, I believe it will go relatively well.

Cheers!
+1 JB, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

JoeMauer89!
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:44 pm Anyone here getting real news from a son who is D1 (or D2 or D3 for that matter) lax player? Or maybe from a source within a college athletics department? It's easy to speculate, and recent vaccine announcements give cause for optimism, but I'd love to hear what the current thinking really is now at colleges & universities with men's lacrosse. Thanks.
According to the Bowdoin athletic page they state spring sports are unlikely. I believe the NESCAC and Ivies were first to fold last spring. Hopefully vaccinations will start soon since colleges have had mixed results this fall.
molo

Post by molo »

Even the NFL and major college football are struggling to get through this season. With a new surge on the way, I cannot believe the nonrevenue spring sports will happen in 2021. If--more realistically when--the 2021 season is shelved, what will the NCAA do about extra years for players who will have missed this year? Will players get another extra year?
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

molo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:29 pm Even the NFL and major college football are struggling to get through this season. With a new surge on the way, I cannot believe the nonrevenue spring sports will happen in 2021. If--more realistically when--the 2021 season is shelved, what will the NCAA do about extra years for players who will have missed this year? Will players get another extra year?

25-year-old seniors and 100 player rosters!
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Tdemling6 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 pm Y'all, don't watch what's happening to winter sports as far as cancelations and try to apply it to what could happen in lacrosse. Basketball and hockey are inside games. Lacrosse is outside. And lacrosse has more guys on a roster. In CBB one positive test means the whole team quarantine because there is fewer players and they are inside an enclosed area. Lacrosse won't be like that and hopefully, this thing is died down much more by Feb. Should peak fully around Thanksgiving and the Christmas and New Years' holidays and then fall drastically.

Cancelations in winter sports have no bearing on decisions about spring sports at all. If a school or conference for some reason looks at them similar then a leadership change is needed. Let the boys play!
NJ just cancelled youth and high school indoor sports for the winter. Outdoor sports are okay - and was clear that while gatherings outside must be 25 or less, this number doesn't apply to outdoor sports except for the number of spectators.

This is a good sign for the spring honestly. But it really sucks for the kids who play basketball, wrestle, swim, etc.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:56 pm

NJ just cancelled youth and high school indoor sports for the winter. Outdoor sports are okay - and was clear that while gatherings outside must be 25 or less, this number doesn't apply to outdoor sports except for the number of spectators.

This is a good sign for the spring honestly. But it really sucks for the kids who play basketball, wrestle, swim, etc.
I’m not sure what this means. What outdoor winter sports are they talking about? There are no outdoor high school winter sports outside of ski teams.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I’m not sure what this means. What outdoor winter sports are they talking about? There are no outdoor high school winter sports outside of ski teams.
Gonna guess that it means club/travel sports.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

He specifically said in his press conference football at one point but that's over so (shrug)? I had the same question and wasn't answered. They also mentioned specifically hockey:
Dr. Edward Lifshitz, medical director for the state's Communicable Disease Service, said indoor youth sports have been linked to many new cases of COVID-19. He cited youth hockey as being traced to more than 100 cases.
But I use it more as evidence that lacrosse will go forward as the prohibition was specifically as indoor sports. Not all sports, even though as you point out...what else is there?
viper

Post by viper »

molo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:29 pm Even the NFL and major college football are struggling to get through this season. With a new surge on the way, I cannot believe the nonrevenue spring sports will happen in 2021. If--more realistically when--the 2021 season is shelved, what will the NCAA do about extra years for players who will have missed this year? Will players get another extra year?
I don't know if D1 has been decided for spring athletes, but I know D3 has already been granted yet another year of eligibility for all athletes going into next year. I can tell you my son's D3 roster is currently over 60 just from last year's roll-over, transfers, recruits, etc. They don't have the resources to maintain that and there will be cuts going into the spring as a result With another year of eligibility it's going to get worse.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... t-athletes
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

I completely disagree. If an indoor sport like college basketball can happen as cases surge, certainly outdoor sports can take place and by March conditions should be better as vaccine gets rolled out. The players were already denied much of a 2020 season and am sure they will do everything possible to make sure they can safely return to the field.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:01 am
I completely disagree. If an indoor sport like college basketball can happen as cases surge, certainly outdoor sports can take place and by March conditions should be better as vaccine gets rolled out. The players were already denied much of a 2020 season and am sure they will do everything possible to make sure they can safely return to the field.
+1 But don't let common sense get in the way of hysteria!!
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am
hofstrapride1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:01 am
+1 But don't let common sense get in the way of hysteria!!
It's all about money...NCAA Lacrosse doesn't generate it. Wish it wasn't that way...but it is.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

So true, unfortunately..
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Many conferences that produce little or no revenue from basketball are playing or have games coming up soon CAA, MAAC, AMEast, SoCon, Patriot. We really need these to go well even though lacrosse is played outside, these seasons will weigh on the minds of AD's and Administrators for the spring. They are also doing the same with women's basketball that produces even less revenue.

Spoke with a pretty prominent D1 coach yesterday who said based on what we know now and where we are he, and all the other coaches he talks to believe we will have a season of some form. For now he has February games on his schedule. May start later and have less games but he sees it happening. He also said that could change at anytime.

I also think the Ivy league is an entirely different category and would not be as confident about their seasons.

We really need this current surge to slow, and vaccinations to start and hopefully have a big impact by the end of January.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

anyone care to say out loud why the Ivy League would be in a completely different category? Or list a few other leagues that may be in similar categories? ;) :shock:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

HooDat wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:11 pm anyone care to say out loud why the Ivy League would be in a completely different category? Or list a few other leagues that may be in similar categories? ;) :shock:
Ivy has shown they don't care about athletics or their athletes, for that matter. They would probably love to just shut down. Patriot League would be only other DI in a similar spot. NESCAC obviously.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”