Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bauer4429

Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by bauer4429 »

Anyone feeling a lacrosse season will happen this spring?
steel_hop

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by steel_hop »

No. Too much liability and too much fear that isn't based in reality.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Been keeping track of events in school districts trying to reopen in-school classes? See where some colleges are asking athletes to sign liability waivers? See the countries who got covid response right early on (EU, Oz, SKorea, Vietnam) now having issues? (To be honest, their current 'hot spot' numbers would look like major success in most of the US.)
If this were a game Vegas might take it off the board 😖😬 I wouldn't bet the house on a season. Even a successful vaccine would take 12+ months to produce & distribute to 330M people...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It may not be a typical type season, but would expect something to in play by then. We have 5 more months to work through all this...putting us close to a year to date with more data, knowledge, therapeutics, etc...
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
viper

Post by viper »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:32 pm Been keeping track of events in school districts trying to reopen in-school classes? See where some colleges are asking athletes to sign liability waivers? See the countries who got covid response right early on (EU, Oz, SKorea, Vietnam) now having issues? (To be honest, their current 'hot spot' numbers would look like major success in most of the US.)
The last sentence is key. With numbers down like in other countries - when those numbers increase - they have contact tracing and testing on their side to put out small fires. Not an option here with the cases off the charts and the flames engulfing the house.

With things changing on a daily basis I am trying to not even look forward to the spring to avoid potential disappointment.
molo

Post by molo »

As much as I would like things to return to normal, I don't think that is happening soon. I do not expect to see college lax played in 2021.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I don’t see young healthy people being prioritized for a vaccine so I don’t think an athletes only on campus model will work. Very pessimistic about lax in 2021 absent a major change in personal behavior ie masks social distancing which is driving hot spots. That said, let’s see if football and basketball can be even partially successful.
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 pm I don’t see young healthy people being prioritized for a vaccine so I don’t think an athletes only on campus model will work. Very pessimistic about lax in 2021 absent a major change in personal behavior ie masks social distancing which is driving hot spots. That said, let’s see if football and basketball can be even partially successful.
Masks and social distancing are not the issue or the answer. The failure to accept or follow science and data is the problem. Young people should not even be a candidate for the vaccine.
The vid has relatively no impact on them. The virus is seasonal and reaches resistance at approximately 20 percent. closing schools and isolating the young is the opposite of what we should be doing. If there is no lax, it will be due to fear and loathing not because of the Vid.

Having said that, I put the odds of a 2021 lax season at 60-40.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Very optimistic there will be a season. There is a testing strategy that can get us out of this mess. Saliva or nasal secretion testing that requires no equipment, cost=$1, and results in 10 minutes. it detects those who are infectious, the only ones that matter frankly. Testing can be done daily and those who test positive isolate until their f/u test a few days later. As soon as they test negative they are no longer infectious and can return to normal activities. FDA needs a pathway to approval and mass production can ramp up quickly.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Reddogg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 pm
Seahawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 pm I don’t see young healthy people being prioritized for a vaccine so I don’t think an athletes only on campus model will work. Very pessimistic about lax in 2021 absent a major change in personal behavior ie masks social distancing which is driving hot spots. That said, let’s see if football and basketball can be even partially successful.
Masks and social distancing are not the issue or the answer. The failure to accept or follow science and data is the problem. Young people should not even be a candidate for the vaccine.
The vid has relatively no impact on them. The virus is seasonal and reaches resistance at approximately 20 percent. closing schools and isolating the young is the opposite of what we should be doing. If there is no lax, it will be due to fear and loathing not because of the Vid.

Your degrees and/or extensive experiences in medicine, epidemiology, infectious disease and virology are???
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxbuck wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm Very optimistic there will be a season. There is a testing strategy that can get us out of this mess. Saliva or nasal secretion testing that requires no equipment, cost=$1, and results in 10 minutes. it detects those who are infectious, the only ones that matter frankly. Testing can be done daily and those who test positive isolate until their f/u test a few days later. As soon as they test negative they are no longer infectious and can return to normal activities. FDA needs a pathway to approval and mass production can ramp up quickly.
That is not coming anytime soon.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They're not going to be the first people who it will be given too - it'll be first responders and then the elderly and most at-risk groups - but college kids will absolutely be ones prioritized for it. There will be a big need and push to get kids back to school and in classrooms; not learning virtually, and a vaccine will be critical to that
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Your degrees and/or extensive experiences in medicine, epidemiology, infectious disease and virology are???
Obviously none.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

If there is a 2021 season, it will be without spectators in the stands.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Is there an argument that this virus is going nowhere, and our young healthy people should be getting exposure now (while their personal impacts would be muted) for herd immunity later?

Waiting for a vaccine strikes me as wishful thinking.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:18 pm
They're not going to be the first people who it will be given too - it'll be first responders and then the elderly and most at-risk groups - but college kids will absolutely be ones prioritized for it. There will be a big need and push to get kids back to school and in classrooms; not learning virtually, and a vaccine will be critical to that
College kids will absolutely not be prioritized especially since virtual learning while not ideal can work for college kids. Maybe elderly professors will be higher on the list. But, the virus has shown to be not statistically detrimental to anyone under the age of 45 when compared to other life/morbidity statistics.

If and when a vaccine is rolled out (it has already been pushed back to at least January), it will be given to those people living in current hot spots with an emphasis on front line medical workers and other essential workers like fire fighters and LEO. Then it will be given to the elderly in that hot spot area. Then it might go to those under 50 or so. After that it will then be distributed in non-hot spot areas in the same order as a hot spot area. The chances of college kids or any kids getting a vaccination anywhere in the next 365 days is almost nil baring some type of Marshall plan to vaccinate everyone in the country. My guess is most students and kids will start being vaccinated late summer of 2021 as everyone gears up for school in the fall of 2021. The fact we, as a society, will wait that long is what is mind boggling.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

HooDat wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:19 am Is there an argument that this virus is going nowhere, and our young healthy people should be getting exposure now (while their personal impacts would be muted) for herd immunity later?

Waiting for a vaccine strikes me as wishful thinking.
There is at least an argument for that
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The vaccine will not be the panacea that many are assuming.

The truth is we won't return to "normal" until we have better therapeutics. The good news is that we are heading in that direction. Remdesivir, proning, less of a reliance on ventilators, dozens of anti-virals/therapeutic drugs in trials.

Short of having 2-3 more proven therapeutics come next February, I don't think you will see spring sports next year. It is my understanding that the NCAA was prepping to announce cancellation of Division 1 fall sports yesterday. And given the start time of "winter" sports, I can't see them happening either.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am The vaccine will not be the panacea that many are assuming.

The truth is we won't return to "normal" until we have better therapeutics. The good news is that we are heading in that direction. Remdesivir, proning, less of a reliance on ventilators, dozens of anti-virals/therapeutic drugs in trials.

Short of having 2-3 more proven therapeutics come next February, I don't think you will see spring sports next year. It is my understanding that the NCAA was prepping to announce cancellation of Division 1 fall sports yesterday. And given the start time of "winter" sports, I can't see them happening either.
Also worth noting that I don't agree with any of this. However, I believe it is the reality of the situation given liability concerns, etc.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:14 pm

You don't need any degree whatsoever to understand the basic data about this virus that is readily available. And, which absolutely and obviously supports what Reddogg has said above. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have a vested interest in perpetuating that fear, and trying to shout down those who speak out against it. It is especially obnoxious when that effort to drown out dissent comes in the form of questions about medical degrees and whether one is "qualified" to speak on the subject. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”