Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by calourie »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm
calourie wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:42 am
FMUBart wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 am
Drcthru wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm Mortality rates are dropping significantly--even those with co-morbidities. Vitamin D and Zinc are stopping covid in its tracks... it's a virus(#19 btw) and there'll be a new one next year.
Believe vitamin D and zinc work if it helps you to sleep. You've been listening to Rush too much. It isn't #19. It was isolated in 2019!
Maybe it's not the 19th Covid virus: "This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003"--yes, it started in 2019, so Covid-19, but there have been a plethora of coronaviruses. Point being, viruses come and go--granted, this one is nasty for those that are elderly or other co-morbidities. For young people, it's a non-factor, ditto for most others. Also, 85% of those testing positive in July said they were adamant/diligent about wearing a mask when around others...
I like RUSH, and several other Canadian rock groups.
Those 85% were adamant until they went to bars and restaurants. It was in the detail. 84% of those wearing masks but didn’t frequent bars and restaurants tested negative. Nobody paid attention to that detail.
:roll: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! If you're at risk, take precautions, if not, just be smart--I guess a mask is the end-all-be-all... Then why not mandatory goggles, too? Last I checked, eyes are also membranes..
It's not a the sky is falling issue, but rather a question of how many people you are comfortable with putting at risk for a shorter life span and uncomfortable death. I'm comorbid as all get out and take total responsibility for myself without being particularly critical of those who don't seem to take me and others in my condition into account while at the same time applauding those who seem to. Better leadership and example at the top filtering down to everyone would clearly increase my chances of making it through long enough to see an effective vaccine approved and implemented. I'm not talking about shutting down the economy, but rather effective testing, tracing and isolating and wearing masks when and where appropriate. This thing is unlikely to miraculously disappear and a 2021 lacrosse season is probably dependent on how effective we are as a country in turning around the direction this scourge is currently headed.
I guess you shouldn't drive a car, or cross the street...unless the government tells you how!
What in the world are you talking about ?
TAV

Post by TAV »

calourie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:01 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm Mortality rates are dropping significantly--even those with co-morbidities. Vitamin D and Zinc are stopping covid in its tracks... it's a virus(#19 btw) and there'll be a new one next year.
Believe vitamin D and zinc work if it helps you to sleep. You've been listening to Rush too much. It isn't #19. It was isolated in 2019!
Maybe it's not the 19th Covid virus: "This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003"--yes, it started in 2019, so Covid-19, but there have been a plethora of coronaviruses. Point being, viruses come and go--granted, this one is nasty for those that are elderly or other co-morbidities. For young people, it's a non-factor, ditto for most others. Also, 85% of those testing positive in July said they were adamant/diligent about wearing a mask when around others...
Those 85% were adamant until they went to bars and restaurants. It was in the detail. 84% of those wearing masks but didn’t frequent bars and restaurants tested negative. Nobody paid attention to that detail.
:roll: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! If you're at risk, take precautions, if not, just be smart--I guess a mask is the end-all-be-all... Then why not mandatory goggles, too? Last I checked, eyes are also membranes..
It's not a the sky is falling issue, but rather a question of how many people you are comfortable with putting at risk for a shorter life span and uncomfortable death. I'm comorbid as all get out and take total responsibility for myself without being particularly critical of those who don't seem to take me and others in my condition into account while at the same time applauding those who seem to. Better leadership and example at the top filtering down to everyone would clearly increase my chances of making it through long enough to see an effective vaccine approved and implemented. I'm not talking about shutting down the economy, but rather effective testing, tracing and isolating and wearing masks when and where appropriate. This thing is unlikely to miraculously disappear and a 2021 lacrosse season is probably dependent on how effective we are as a country in turning around the direction this scourge is currently headed.
I guess you shouldn't drive a car, or cross the street...unless the government tells you how!
What he’s talking about is people needing government or some “expert” telling everyone how to think and act vs. individual responsibility to take in information from all sources, applying simple common sense and moving forward with one’s life.

It’s about living in the basement in fear or being positive and cautious. I choose the later.

It’s really not that complicated. The liberals and media have a vested interest in stirring up FEAR. I simply refuse to live my life afraid - life is too short for that.

Hopefully, the lax season can proceed - it’s the best sport on the planet.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

If you are painting your interior and tiling your floor, I will give you a good deal on lead paint and asbestos tiles....PM me..Thanks!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

TAV wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:30 pm
What he’s talking about is people needing government or some “expert” telling everyone how to think and act vs. individual responsibility to take in information from all sources, applying simple common sense and moving forward with one’s life.

It’s about living in the basement in fear or being positive and cautious. I choose the later.

It’s really not that complicated. The liberals and media have a vested interest in stirring up FEAR. I simply refuse to live my life afraid - life is too short for that.

Tav, from your post I at first assumed that you might be a HS student or immature college student or even recent grad. But I see you are an '83 Hobart alum.

So, I'll address this as if you're an adult, about 60 years old, so been around the block a few times.
I, too, am over 60, a lifelong Republican.

No one is asking you to be "afraid" or to not take "individual responsibility" for your own actions, quite the opposite. We want people to take the virus seriously, not just for their own health but for that of the people they love if they are fortunate to have such in their life, and for the community as a whole, including those who have to care for the sick and dying, even the taxpayers who pay for that medical care.

We create rules in society, not because we love telling others what to do, removing them from personal responsibility, but rather because without rules too many people make poor decisions, decisions they may think is in their individual interest, but which hurt many around them far more.

We ask, and if necessary demand, respect for the 'fences' we erect in our society, that enable us all to prosper.

In the drive a car analogy, yes, we (citizens through our government) license drivers, making sure they're trained and capable of doing it well, we require that they have adequate vision, etc...is this because we like controlling people? or is it because we know that bad drivers, those who aren't well trained, who can't see the road, cause danger to all the rest of us.? Do we have laws against speeding, against reckless driving, against driving under the influence? Is that because we want people to be 'afraid' of cars? Do we want them not to take 'personal responsibility'?

Or do we realize that without rules, society suffers, we all suffer collectively?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Tav, from your post I at first assumed that you might be a HS student or immature college student or even recent grad. But I see you are an '83 Hobart alum.

So, I'll address this as if you're an adult, about 60 years old, so been around the block a few times.

No one is asking you to be "afraid" or to not take "individual responsibility" for your own actions, quite the opposite. We want people to take the virus seriously, not just for their own health but for that of the people they love if they are fortunate to have such in their life, and for the community as a whole, including those who have to care for the sick and dying, even the taxpayers who pay for that medical care.

We create rules in society, not because we love telling others what to do, removing them from personal responsibility, but rather because without rules too many people make poor decisions, decisions they may think is in their individual interest, but which hurt many around them far more.

We ask, and if necessary demand, respect for the 'fences' we erect in our society, that enable us all to prosper.

In the drive a car analogy, yes, we (citizens through our government) license drivers, making sure they're trained and capable of doing it well, we require that they have adequate vision, etc...is this because we like controlling people? or is it because we know that bad drivers, those who aren't well trained, who can't see the road, cause danger to all the rest of us.? Do we have laws against speeding, against reckless driving, against driving under the influence? Is that because we want people to be 'afraid' of cars? Do we want them not to take 'personal responsibility'?

Or do we realize that without rules, society suffers, we all suffer collectively?
Many times the rules hurt the people following the rules, not the people breaking the rules. The drunk driver is not following the rule, so the rule isn't working and the drunk driver may kill an innocent victim. Many feel the government is over reaching and over reacting.
Typical Lax Dad

TNLAX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Many times the rules hurt the people following the rules, not the people breaking the rules. The drunk driver is not following the rule, so the rule isn't working and the drunk driver may kill an innocent victim. Many feel the government is over reaching and over reacting.
“Many” feel the “government” isn’t doing enough.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The "rules hurt the people following the rules"???
Seriously, the person hit by the drunk driver was killed because they weren't drunk too???

TNlax, you need a refresher on logic.

It's not the rule.
The rule breaker. The person who decides to ignore the rule, putting others in danger.

The rule does reduce the # of people who choose to drive drunk, its punishment ramifications do discourage many.
But not all.

We have laws against all sorts of crimes.
We don't expect to eliminate criminality, but we sure as heck have them because they do work to reduce crime.

You might think of this as a chemical plant dumping chemicals into your stream, washing into your ground water supply. Sure, some chemical plants will ignore the regulation and try and get away with it, not caring about the damage they're doing, just their 'freedom' to make a profit. But most will avoid the fines and civil litigation damage awards, (IMO, their executives should do time in egregious cases).

In this case, we're asking for national mask mandates and social distancing, enforced at the local level on a reasonable basis, warnings etc, escalating to fines, ala speeding when driving, and for repeated egregious offenses, possible loss of other privileges ala DUI penalties.

National because it gives cover to state Governors and local officials and brings everyone into the effort to crush this thing.

But mostly we're simply saying wear a mask, don't drive drunk, don't drive recklessly, don't put everyone around you in danger.

Take some personal responsibility to do your part for others.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:52 pm

The "rules hurt the people following the rules"???
Seriously, the person hit by the drunk driver was killed because they weren't drunk too???

TNlax, you need a refresher on logic.

It's not the rule.
The rule breaker. The person who decides to ignore the rule, putting others in danger.

The rule does reduce the # of people who choose to drive drunk, its punishment ramifications do discourage many.
But not all.

We have laws against all sorts of crimes.
We don't expect to eliminate criminality, but we sure as heck have them because they do work to reduce crime.

You might think of this as a chemical plant dumping chemicals into your stream, washing into your ground water supply. Sure, some chemical plants will ignore the regulation and try and get away with it, not caring about the damage they're doing, just their 'freedom' to make a profit. But most will avoid the fines and civil litigation damage awards, (IMO, their executives should do time in egregious cases).

In this case, we're asking for national mask mandates and social distancing, enforced at the local level on a reasonable basis, warnings etc, escalating to fines, ala speeding when driving, and for repeated egregious offenses, possible loss of other privileges ala DUI penalties.

But mostly we're simply saying wear a mask, don't drive drunk, don't drive recklessly, don't put everyone around you in danger.

Take some personal responsibility to do your part for others.
I don't drink and drive because I know it is wrong, and others could be hurt if I did drink and drive. It has nothing to do with a random government law.
viper

Post by viper »

So just as a curiosity where do you stand on things like......

Mandatory seat belts
Air bags in motor vehicles
The drinking age at 21 instead of 18

I am not being fasecious with this either. Each of these issues were initially opposed by the "individual rights" argument. Protections of individuals rights end at the boundary (ill defined though it may be) where those rights impact the rights of other individuals. Should others be subject to lung cancer through second hand smoke of others executing their right to smoke? Should others be subject to infection because of another individuals right to not wear a mask?

I think we can all agree on the concept. The disagreement lies in where the line is drawn for that ill defined boundary.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm glad you make that choice, TN, and I certainly didn't suggest you personally would do otherwise.

Nor am I suggesting that you would pollute etc.

But the law and the penalties attached definitely do reduce the amount of people who do, thankfully.

And the rule sure as heck isn't hurting people, it's the rule breakers.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MD,

No disrespect, but stop with these posts like you are the moral "authority" You do this in EVERY single thread when you find somebody that doesn't agree with your stance/position. They are intelligent enough to have their own opinion and you are not their father with these long drawn-out posts There are plenty of people who have different opinions than you, ACCEPT it. And for somebody who is 60 years old, show the ability to be mature and not let emotions cloud your judgement. Its tiring, you are stubborn, and simply will not let somebody have an opinion on this site in which you think is "wrong" It happens on a daily basis, you come in with these extremely long posts shaming and acting like you have a solution and only you to get out of this pandemic. You are wasting your time, man

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:21 pm

MD,

No disrespect, but stop with these posts like you are the moral "authority" You do this in EVERY single thread when you find somebody that doesn't agree with your stance/position. They are intelligent enough to have their own opinion and you are not their father with these long drawn-out posts There are plenty of people who have different opinions than you, ACCEPT it. And for somebody who is 60 years old, show the ability to be mature and not let emotions cloud your judgement. Its tiring, you are stubborn, and simply will not let somebody have an opinion on this site in which you think is "wrong" It happens on a daily basis, you come in with these extremely long posts shaming and acting like you have a solution and only you to get out of this pandemic. You are wasting your time, man

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
You stuttered there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 pmNo one is asking you to be "afraid" or to not take "individual responsibility" for your own actions, quite the opposite. We want people to take the virus seriously, not just for their own health but for that of the people they love if they are fortunate to have such in their life, and for the community as a whole, including those who have to care for the sick and dying, even the taxpayers who pay for that medical care.

Hear, hear.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:42 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 pmNo one is asking you to be "afraid" or to not take "individual responsibility" for your own actions, quite the opposite. We want people to take the virus seriously, not just for their own health but for that of the people they love if they are fortunate to have such in their life, and for the community as a whole, including those who have to care for the sick and dying, even the taxpayers who pay for that medical care.

Hear, hear.
Hear, hear for another condescending post from Team Panic Porn? I don't agree.

The more apt analogy relates to colon cancer. While up to 10% of the victims of colon cancer in 2020 will be people under the age of 50, your doctor won't send you for a colonoscopy before 50 unless you have a history of that kind of cancer in your family, or you are having health issues which may indicate a problem. Why? Because the 4,000 Americans under 50 who will die of colon cancer in 2020 are expendable? Because we don't care about them? Of course not, it's because we as a society have made a judgment about the odds, the cost, and what kind of risk we are willing to live with as it relates to colon cancer. Which we do in so many facets of our society.

We have not yet properly calibrated the risk that we are willing to live with as it relates to Covid. Not only are we counting every death, we're counting cases. Cases!!!! It's really hard to believe.

If we are going to count cases of Covid, we should be counting cases of colon cancer, and heart attacks, breast cancer and prostate cancer, and every other affliction that is diagnosed in the course of a week in our country, every night on the news. Let's count every death, let's mourn every loss. That's where this situation is totally out of whack. We are focused on a single problem to the exclusion of every other problem. And those other problems are proliferating at a breakneck speed because of our singular focus on Covid.

However you view the situation, there is absolutely no reason that collegiate sports should not go forward. There is almost no risk to college age people - you can't even argue with those statistics if you want to - and no evidence that college athletes are putting others at significant risk by participating in athletics. When you go out of your way to argue against that very clear and obvious point on a board like this, you reveal yourself to be a person with an agenda of some kind.

It will be a tragedy if our college lacrosse athletes are forced to miss another season. Let the kids play.
calourie

Post by calourie »

What I'm talking about is that unless enough people take the individual responsibility to take in factual information and apply simple common sense actions in moving forward with their lives relative to Covid and it's spread and mortality rate the prospects for a 2021 lacrosse season diminish considerably. As of this moment it doesn't look to me like the trends show that that is happening. A rising Covid case and death rate on into February isn't going to help. I doubt many people out there want to see a 2021 lacrosse season happen more than I do in that watching college lacrosse is my favorite streaming activity and one of my favorite activities period. At least we agree that lacrosse is the best sport on the planet.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Don't know bout any of Y'all, but down here in Kentucky and throughout the South we playing High School and college football, as well as other fall sports and things going just fine. Had a few cases, but most of the disruptions have been kids getting caught in contract tracing. Obviously need to take precautions and all of that, but I'm 100% certain we will have a full college season that starts in February and ends in May, and been 100% certain since last March. Might there be some differences, at least in the beginning? Yes. But I give it around a 98-100 percent chance the stands are full on Memorial Day weekend just like normal and as they should be!

No need to feel any less confident than 100% for a season that is FOUR MONTHS away. A lot can change.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:14 am

Hear, hear.

The more apt analogy relates to colon cancer. While up to 10% of the victims of colon cancer in 2020 will be people under the age of 50, your doctor won't send you for a colonoscopy before 50 unless you have a history of that kind of cancer in your family, or you are having health issues which may indicate a problem. Why? Because the 4,000 Americans under 50 who will die of colon cancer in 2020 are expendable? Because we don't care about them? Of course not, it's because we as a society have made a judgment about the odds, the cost, and what kind of risk we are willing to live with as it relates to colon cancer. Which we do in so many facets of our society.

We have not yet properly calibrated the risk that we are willing to live with as it relates to Covid. Not only are we counting every death, we're counting cases. Cases!!!! It's really hard to believe.

If we are going to count cases of Covid, we should be counting cases of colon cancer, and heart attacks, breast cancer and prostate cancer, and every other affliction that is diagnosed in the course of a week in our country, every night on the news. Let's count every death, let's mourn every loss. That's where this situation is totally out of whack. We are focused on a single problem to the exclusion of every other problem. And those other problems are proliferating at a breakneck speed because of our singular focus on Covid.

However you view the situation, there is absolutely no reason that collegiate sports should not go forward. There is almost no risk to college age people - you can't even argue with those statistics if you want to - and no evidence that college athletes are putting others at significant risk by participating in athletics. When you go out of your way to argue against that very clear and obvious point on a board like this, you reveal yourself to be a person with an agenda of some kind.

It will be a tragedy if our college lacrosse athletes are forced to miss another season. Let the kids play.
Great post.
TAV

Post by TAV »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:47 am

Hear, hear.

Great post.
Agreed.

There’s simply no sense arguing with those who’ve already drank the Kool-Aid.

It’s amazes me that these liberals with condescending attitudes have such difficulty reading and understanding a simple, yet profound document: The United States Constitution. I would also add The Federalist Papers as supplemental require reading.

Believe it or not, there’s a lot of good stuff in there. It takes a little effort, but well worth the time.

Ahh, forget it! A steady diet of CNN, MSNBC, the NYT...that’s the ticket!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:21 pm

MD,

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
:roll: :lol:
This is a discussion board.
You choose your position, your moral choice, and I'll choose mine.
And I'll actually explain mine...if you disagree, you are free to explain your position.

I may be "wasting my time", and yours, but if so, you are wasting mine as well with your posts, especially when you choose to simply attack on a personal basis rather than respond to the actual logic of the discussion.

But yeah, it is quite true that my explanations may fail to persuade those who are determined not to care about others, only for themselves.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

TAV wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:13 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:47 am

Hear, hear.

Great post.
Agreed.

There’s simply no sense arguing with those who’ve already drank the Kool-Aid.

It’s amazes me that these liberals with condescending attitudes have such difficulty reading and understanding a simple, yet profound document: The United States Constitution. I would also add The Federalist Papers as supplemental require reading.

Believe it or not, there’s a lot of good stuff in there. It takes a little effort, but well worth the time.

Ahh, forget it! A steady diet of CNN, MSNBC, the NYT...that’s the ticket!
now this is one of the worst posts I've read.
Can't respond logically to my post TAV?

What exactly do you disagree with? "liberals"???
What aspect of my post would you call "liberal"?
I'm a lifelong Republican who believes in personal responsibility and accountability, as well as the rule of law.
Has that become what is called "liberal" in TrumpWorld?

Condescending? My hunch is that a lot of posters on here are far more familiar with the Constitution and it's various underlying principles, as well as its implications, than are you, but that's quite a separate topic. But go back to watching Levin and pretending you actually care about these principles. :roll:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”