Haudenosaunee 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Haudenosaunee 2022

Post by faircornell »

The Iroquois petition just topped 50,000 signatures.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

I would love to see the Haudenosaunee lax team at the Olympics, as most lacrosse fans would. They are the creators of the game, and deserve special recognition as a sovereign nation, with their own passports and autonomy, too. And with increased sensitivity to racial issues around the world, it's time for other nations to further loosen the historical chokeholds that majorities have put onto racial minorities all around the world.

That said, I also fully understand the IOC's position. If they start making exceptions for every tribal, clan, religious or ethnic group/nation as an IOC nation, there could be some dramatic shifts in how IOC nationhood is allocated, and it would rock the sponsorship and TV rights discussion. For example, what if Black athletes around the world wanted their own Olympic team? (That would be one helluva Olympic team, by the way...) What about the Kurds, who are spread across multiple countries? What if Islam, or just Sunni Islam or Presbyterians or Eastern Orthodox athletes decided to have their own team? What if ethnic Chinese around the world wanted to compete as a team? It's quite a slippery-slope scenario for the IOC...

The IOC has made previous exceptions for geographically-based political anomalies such as Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) and Puerto Rico, as well as for sudden political shifts -- such as when the Soviet Union broke apart in the early 1990s and the remaining former Soviet countries played under the Olympic Flag as the "Commonwealth of Independent States" (CIS) designation. The IOC has also made exceptions for doping fallout recently when Russia was stripped of official participation in 2018 and the remaining Russian delegation was suddenly termed "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (OAR) in Pyongchang.

All in all, I don't see the IOC buckling on this issue, as their whole organization runs on broadcast and sponsor revenues that are primarily tied to geographic nationhoods, rather than tribal, clan, racial or ethnic nationhood. The IOC is most interested in maintaining control of its operations and ensuring that the money flows in. Tday, the geographic model, fueled by nationalis broadcast and sponsor interests in each country, provides that money, and I don't see the IOC wanting to jeopardize it...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Given the fact that it’s their game by creation it seems like the exception can be made in a singular fashion.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm Given the fact that it’s their game by creation it seems like the exception can be made in a singular fashion.
The game the IOC made them create in order to just be considered is not the Creator's Game. Its unisex pinball of some sort.

Previous thoughts on the IOC granting exceptions are also well founded. It about the $$$$ and not who created the game in any event.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well then why would purists care at all if they participate?
See Martin, Malcolm
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:44 pm Well then why would purists care at all if they participate?
It's not even about lacrosse, though lacrosse is the catalyst. They should be able to field a swimming and diving team if they want. That there is a game called "lacrosse" and that they cannot represent themselves in said game is an extra kick to the crotch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sure but if the IOC is just about money and that’s the response one gets in this discussion then what is This thread about? Either we care about the IOC or we think they’re a cynical, money oriented operation that doesn’t reflect culture in the world. To me the Olympics have been a TV show my whole life, since we and Russia started boycotting summer games anyways.
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

Onondaga Nation welcomes the world for the World Indoor Lacrosse Tournament. Went all out, spiffed the town up. Planted trees and flowers, paved roads, picked everything up, cleaned, policed and made everything nice, nice. Including a new super cool and really nice new arena (in which I threw a ball into the cage before a game was ever played. Fun stuff, couple of guys playing catch, had my stick with me, asked if I could go on the floor and toss it around with them. I was welcomed.). Said at the time, the Medicine Game brought its medicine to the town. Needed some spiffing up, was a little ratty.
Reciprosity.
The IOC can go phukk themselves, and the US and Canada should tell them the same.
The Natives don't play, we don't play...and you can put a little asterix on the gold medals....silver and bronze too.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That makes some sense to me. Forget the IOC
See Martin, Malcolm
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Remind me again, just when did the IOC come begging for lacrosse to be part of the olympics?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Who cares they’re balls deep in it now and this is a lacrosse specific fan board.

I don’t know why folks want the game to spread then get upset by the Homogenization and bastardization, but in this specific universe that’s what you get. Like wanting everyone to know you were an early fan of that band but upset when they go triple platinum and “sell out” (second album produced by Rick Rubin).

But if one is going to adopt this game and then reject native Americans as a separate group, whom we have carved out out so generously a sliver of the country we took from them then an Olympic committee that more or less would be worthless without our country (tv money and generally lead in gold medals) then the committee should too.
See Martin, Malcolm
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:14 am Who cares they’re balls deep in it now ...
Really?

Your first 2 words were plenty, especially from an IOC perspective. If lax wants in on the glory that is the Olympics, then the IOC gets to name the tune. As far as they're concerned, lax could dry up and blow away with absolutely loss in revenue to them. It's not like the networks are stamping their feet for the game either.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Kismet wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm Given the fact that it’s their game by creation it seems like the exception can be made in a singular fashion.
The game the IOC made them create in order to just be considered is not the Creator's Game. Its unisex pinball of some sort.

Previous thoughts on the IOC granting exceptions are also well founded. It about the $$$$ and not who created the game in any event.
Silly you. Perhaps we should move the goal posts miles apart, like the old days. The way the creator intended.

It's still about throwing and catching, is it not?

If this event happens, and they are not invited, and US lacrosse says "oh well". like they did when Clinton ignored the passport requests.....for shame.

Sid Jamieson in the US Lax Hall of Fame yet? exactly such hypocrties, you baltimore types. Does Hopkins own the Sparks facility too :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:06 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:14 am Who cares they’re balls deep in it now ...
Really?

Your first 2 words were plenty, especially from an IOC perspective. If lax wants in on the glory that is the Olympics, then the IOC gets to name the tune. As far as they're concerned, lax could dry up and blow away with absolutely loss in revenue to them. It's not like the networks are stamping their feet for the game either.
Well the rest of my post that was cut out of the quote indicated my position that the Olympics have been so degraded the last 20-30yrs that the “glory” of it is massively reduced. US/Russia in the 80s, us using pros then the pros skipping it or mailing it in, China trying to game the medals count, serious fraud and grift, etc.

IOC is on almost as thin of ice as the NCAA is these days. I wouldn’t hold them or the olympics up as anything special anymore. The networks are hanging on for dear life themselves these days.

I also stated earlier I don’t understand the whole “we need to spread and/or increase the relevance of the sport” mentality, especially combined with the demand that the legacy participants hold the same status they did no matter how deep or wide the growth goes.
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:06 am
Really?

It's not only the IOC and networks who don't give a schidt about lacrosse in the Olympics, it's the rest of the world too. The world is not ready for lacrosse in the Olympics (care to venture a guess as to who would win the Gold, Silver, and Bronze?), never has been. I did say lacrosse, not this lafaux they're proposing which even fewer people care about, and it's about principle and balls, both of which the IOC lacks. This is easy, "Yes, the Natives can play"....and everyone in the world knows why. Done deal, simple.
The World Games is the Olympics of lacrosse, this other stuff is just garbage.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Haudenosaunee Dehontsigwaehs
@IrqLax
· 5h
Must read statement from World Lacrosse @worldlaxsport https://twitter.com/worldlaxsport/statu ... 9070984192
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great to read. Thank you. These organizers take themselves extremely seriously.

Frankly, if they took nine teams and gave the first seed a bye, they wouldn't need to persuade one team to drop out.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Nice article in the LA TImes (of all places). I came here to post the link but Fannolax beat me to it.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I haven't been following all of this, but Dom Starsia tweeted that Team Ireland has withdrawn from the 2020 World Games in Birmingham AL in order to make room for the Iroquois Nationals. I also read that the USA and Canada are supporting this.

If anyone is more current, any updates are welcome.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”