Re: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 2021

Post by Henpecked »

New topic. 2021 - After Memorial Day seems appropriate.

A couple weeks ago we talked about the transfer of Demetrius Stevenson (Rutgers) who, at 6' 3" 235 gives the Hens some size and power at offensive midfield. He has a BIG outside shot which could open things up with the Hens inside. Hens haven't had a true outside threat at middie since Will Hirschmann graduated two years ago.

Since that last post, the Hens have brought in another transfer. Drew Lenkaitis (Vermont) actually played at my local high school a couple years back. Only saw him play twice but he accumulated a ton of points against decent competition. His junior year he had 38 goals and 54 assists. He is a big kid (6' 3" 195) who plays the lefty attack spot, so Coach DeLuca will need to find a new position for him to play since star frosh Michael Robinson is expected to occupy that space for the next 3-4 years.

Lenkaitis is not the fastest kid but is pretty athletic and has a nice shot. I would think they might find a spot for him on a second midfield or on the man-up unit (crease). He is a big lefty target similar to sophomore Jake Govett who has had opportunities on man up unit the past two years.

Some other good news, Jake Hervada will be returning to Newark this fall. Hens have struggled mightily over the last two years after Jake went down with injuries. He is a lifetime .500 fogo. Without him, the Hens were in the low 40% to high 30% (some individual games much worse). Freshman FOGO also coming in this year from North Jersey. Hoping for the best.

I would not expect any more news till the fall. The roster is actually pretty manageable compared to other teams. If every underclassman returns and you include the three fifth year guys (Shaw, Kitchen and Hervada), two transfers and 12 in-coming freshman you have a roster of 49 guys. Wouldn't be totally surprised to see someone new show up on campus by fall ball (if that even happens). I think some "local" kids may see UD as a good option in these uncertain times. We shall see.

Edit: The Hens will actually have 13 freshman coming this fall. Just noticed that they added McDonogh attackman J.P. Ward who originally committed to Furman. Looks like a big goal scorer with nice size. He had 5 goals in the opener against Gonzaga this year before the season was brought to a halt.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”