HopFan16

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by HopFan16 »

Lipka to Notre Dame, per Xanders

Another Cuse player goes directly to a rival. :D
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Of course, everybody considers 'Cuse a rival.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

With the dominos falling for fall sports in the Ivies and Patriot, based on the decisions being made by these college administrations, we are in no way guaranteed a spring season. Covid cases are indeed rising. Spread will continue. Second wave is inevitable, most likely in winter. I hate to play Joe Downer, but my question is what will the likes of fifth years like Sowers, Gallagher, Carraway, etc who graduated and probably already have deferred job offers do if four months from now 2021 doesn’t look promising? Do they not pay their one year grad school tuition and take those jobs (if indeed those jobs are still there)? I doubt they wait around for 2022. What about the current rising seniors? Will they just graduate and move on, with the good ones perhaps drafted into the pro leagues, or do they enter the portal to give it one more try in 2022? Tough decisions have to be made. I feel bad for these guys.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Comeonman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:13 pm With the dominos falling for fall sports in the Ivies and Patriot, based on the decisions being made by these college administrations, we are in no way guaranteed a spring season. Covid cases are indeed rising. Spread will continue. Second wave is inevitable, most likely in winter. I hate to play Joe Downer, but my question is what will the likes of fifth years like Sowers, Gallagher, Carraway, etc who graduated and probably already have deferred job offers do if four months from now 2021 doesn’t look promising? Do they not pay their one year grad school tuition and take those jobs (if indeed those jobs are still there)? I doubt they wait around for 2022. What about the current rising seniors? Will they just graduate and move on, with the good ones perhaps drafted into the pro leagues, or do they enter the portal to give it one more try in 2022? Tough decisions have to be made. I feel bad for these guys.
Comeonman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:13 pm With the dominos falling for fall sports in the Ivies and Patriot, based on the decisions being made by these college administrations, we are in no way guaranteed a spring season. Covid cases are indeed rising. Spread will continue. Second wave is inevitable, most likely in winter. I hate to play Joe Downer, but my question is what will the likes of fifth years like Sowers, Gallagher, Carraway, etc who graduated and probably already have deferred job offers do if four months from now 2021 doesn’t look promising? Do they not pay their one year grad school tuition and take those jobs (if indeed those jobs are still there)? I doubt they wait around for 2022. What about the current rising seniors? Will they just graduate and move on, with the good ones perhaps drafted into the pro leagues, or do they enter the portal to give it one more try in 2022? Tough decisions have to be made. I feel bad for these guys.
I feel bad for the academy kids, there is no options.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I agree 100% ... there is no easy decision right now and there is still too much uncertainty...... and let’s face it college is expensive even with academic grants and athletic scholarships. Some do have full rides I am sure, but my guess is those are very few given the 12.5 cap on teams with 45 plus players. Definitely feel for older players and graduate student athletes looking for one more season.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm Lipka to Notre Dame, per Xanders

Another Cuse player goes directly to a rival. :D
ND does not even crack the top 10 of teams I would consider to be "a rival" of Cuse.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

With fall ball essentially cancelled, will the fifth year lottery winners like Duke, ND, Denver, UVA which seem to have established “dream teams” be as effective as they might have been? I think not. As good as Sowers and Morrill and the Merrimac kid are, in the end I’d go with those teams who have a lot of their own returning, like Cuse, Penn State and perhaps Ohio State or Georgetown as the favorites (if there is a season). Chemistry With the returning players and coaching the same guys means a lot.
blue angels

Re: Transfer Por

Post by blue angels »

Comeonman wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 pm With fall ball essentially cancelled, will the fifth year lottery winners like Duke, ND, Denver, UVA which seem to have established “dream teams” be as effective as they might have been? I think not. As good as Sowers and Morrill and the Merrimac kid are, in the end I’d go with those teams who have a lot of their own returning, like Cuse, Penn State and perhaps Ohio State or Georgetown as the favorites (if there is a season). Chemistry With the returning players and coaching the same guys means a lot.
This is the 1st time I have seen Virginia projected as 1 of the winners in the transfer sweepstakes despite getting a former Teewarton candidate. All American, Michael Kraus, moved onto the job market on Wall Street which makes perfect sense so opens a spot. Virginia took Bertrand as a replacement but he may play either attack or midfield. I don’t think 1 transfer player is likely to upend an entire team’s chemistry, especially with the talent already on the roster. Bertrand will have to find a place to fit in as a complimentary player. Now, trying to integrate multiple players onto a new team and culture is entirely something else Like at Duke or Notre Dame. Time will tell how all that works or not.
Last edited by blue angels on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

The NCAA extension to 5 yrs of playing eligibility along with this virus sticking longer than expected may be resulting in a cluster fock if no 2021 season.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Valid point on UVA. I should have put them in the latter group.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am The NCAA extension to 5 yrs of playing eligibility along with this virus sticking longer than expected may be resulting in a cluster fock if no 2021 season.
Cluster, yes, but the Added Bonus?

You will see a lot of younger, underclass talent trickle down to other, lesser, developing programs and to D2/D3/Juco so they actually have an opportunity to make a roster, play and touch the field.

This will mean some good parity in the next few years and some developing programs getting the talent boost they need. I think it will ultimately be good for the overall development of the game and many programs.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Notre Dame bringing in several transfers was a bit out of character. Their offseason was only 2nd to Duke.

Yorke, Gallagher, Thornton, Fahey, Lipka will all likely start
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:53 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am The NCAA extension to 5 yrs of playing eligibility along with this virus sticking longer than expected may be resulting in a cluster fock if no 2021 season.
Cluster, yes, but the Added Bonus?

You will see a lot of younger, underclass talent trickle down to other, lesser, developing programs and to D2/D3/Juco so they actually have an opportunity to make a roster, play and touch the field.

This will mean some good parity in the next few years and some developing programs getting the talent boost they need. I think it will ultimately be good for the overall development of the game and many programs.
Perhaps. Flip is that some programs could drop sport or relegate to club . The ones most likely to benefit from larger than normal defections from major d1's would seem to be the middle group of d1's but right now the strong are getting reinforced in the short run. Be interesting to see how this all unfolds in the intermediate pic
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:00 am Notre Dame bringing in several transfers was a bit out of character. Their offseason was only 2nd to Duke.

Yorke, Gallagher, Thornton, Fahey, Lipka will all likely start
The first 3 are big additions, but the fact a Syracuse 2nd line middie is gonna walk into a starting spot ain’t a great look.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SU 2nd middy line was Lipka, quinn and buttermore, no? and, arguably, the 2nd middy line performed better than the 1st.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lipka would start on a lot of teams—Cuse's first line midfield was their strength. Don't really think it's a bad look for ND, if anything Cuse is losing a proven, productive player, while ND is gaining one. He might not be an All-American but I struggle to see how the transfer does anything other than make Cuse (slightly) worse and ND (slightly) better—at least on paper. Obviously not game-changing Sowers-level stuff but in a conference where every team is not that far apart from the others in terms of talent, every little bit helps.

That said, I've found Corrigan's aggressiveness in the transfer market a little strange—almost an admission that his team wasn't very good—though I guess it makes some sense given how aggressive he is in poaching recruits. For a long time he's been about acquiring the most talent possible with little regard for team chemistry and scheme and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's probably been the least successful of the current ACC head coaches. That was a team whose identity was based on its defense—led by an assistant coach. Without Byrne I have no idea what Notre Dame lacrosse is, and I don't really think Corrigan knows either. These transfers don't seem to reveal to any coherent strategy, at least to an outsider, other than "accumulate as many new toys as possible, sort it all out later."
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Comeonman wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 pm With fall ball essentially cancelled, will the fifth year lottery winners like Duke, ND, Denver, UVA which seem to have established “dream teams” be as effective as they might have been? I think not. As good as Sowers and Morrill and the Merrimac kid are, in the end I’d go with those teams who have a lot of their own returning, like Cuse, Penn State and perhaps Ohio State or Georgetown as the favorites (if there is a season). Chemistry With the returning players and coaching the same guys means a lot.

I agree! I think it speaks volumes to the players that apply, get accepted, and then decide to use their eligibility that’s left and tryout for the teams. That way coaches don’t upset the existing chemistry and incoming potential players can prove their worth and fit. Coaches should be looking more at those types of players..... but few coaches are brave enough to.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:05 pm Lipka would start on a lot of teams—Cuse's first line midfield was their strength. Don't really think it's a bad look for ND, if anything Cuse is losing a proven, productive player, while ND is gaining one. He might not be an All-American but I struggle to see how the transfer does anything other than make Cuse (slightly) worse and ND (slightly) better—at least on paper. Obviously not game-changing Sowers-level stuff but in a conference where every team is not that far apart from the others in terms of talent, every little bit helps.

That said, I've found Corrigan's aggressiveness in the transfer market a little strange—almost an admission that his team wasn't very good—though I guess it makes some sense given how aggressive he is in poaching recruits. For a long time he's been about acquiring the most talent possible with little regard for team chemistry and scheme and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's probably been the least successful of the current ACC head coaches. That was a team whose identity was based on its defense—led by an assistant coach. Without Byrne I have no idea what Notre Dame lacrosse is, and I don't really think Corrigan knows either. These transfers don't seem to reveal to any coherent strategy, at least to an outsider, other than "accumulate as many new toys as possible, sort it all out later."
[/quote

Agree on all pts made
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Peter Pittroff from DIII Denison to Providence. Great grab.
2x AA. 86 goals 175 assists (Program assist leader)
Last edited by DeepPocket on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Updating HopFan16's list

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Boston University - Max Tetreault (FOGO) —> Trinity
Bryant - David DeMartino (defense)—>Trinity
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack)—>Notre Dame, Connor Shears (defense) —> Jacksonville, Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack)
Canisius - Cade Talbert (goalie)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield) —> Maryland, Nicky Petkevich (attack)—>Georgetown, Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Duke - CJ Carpenter (attack)—>Bryant
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)—>OSU, Luke Muter (defense), Jack Rooney(midfield)—> Merrimack, Cole Horan (defense)—>Syracuse, Brett Tenagila (attack) —>Syracuse
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)*, Nigel Andrews (midfield)
Hobart - PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)—>Maryland, Justin Scott (A/M)
Hampton - Ian Groom(FO)—>Hartford
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)—>OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack) --> Hofstra, Sean Mullaney (midfield), Dan O'Connell(FO)—>Duke
Hopkins - Alex Gainey (goalie), Alex Concannon (midfield) --> Hofstra, Matt Stagnitta (midfield) --> Jacksonville, Michael Gomez (defense)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense) Hopkins, Greg Wells —>Tuffs
Lehigh - Colin Kirst(goalie)—> Rutgers
Loyola - Jack Raba (Attack)—>Wesleyan
Maryland - Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)—>Stony Brook, Jack DeSantis (defense)—>OSU
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO)—>Denison, Charlie Bertrand (attack)—>Virginia
Michigan - Matt Trowbridge (goalie), Finn Goonan (LSM)
Mount St. Mary's - Evan Falkowski (midfield)
Notre Dame - Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie)—>Hopkins, Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO)---> Notre Dame, Kyle Thornton (defense)--->Notre Dame
Penn State - Collin Almeida (Midfield)-->Bryant, Brad Santore (Midfield)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack)—>Duke, Connor McCarthy (midfield)—>UNC, Phil Robertson (attack)—>Duke
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)—> Notre Dame
Richmond - Mick Burden (FO)
Rutgers - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack), Edward Beyer (midfield)—>D2 Florida Southern
St. John’s - Kyle McBride(LSM), Jon Dugenio(FO)—>Rutgers, Colin Bosak (FO)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)—>Duke
Sienna- Jack Drillock (defense)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)—> Hopkins, Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack)—> Drexel, Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield)—> Rutgers, Justin Kim (midfield) —> Rutgers, David Lipka(midfield) —> Notre Dame
Towson - Casey Wasserman(midfield)**
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield), Logan Danenza (defense) --> Hofstra
UMass Lowell - Matt Murakami (goalie)
UMBC - Steven Cornwell (LSM)—> Christopher Newport
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield)—>PSU. Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany, Jimmy Perkins (A/M)—>RMU, Nick Hapney (defense)—> Syracuse
Villanova - Connor Kirst (offense)—> Rutgers
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack)—>Delaware, Ben French (attack)—> D2 Tampa
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)—>SHU
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack)—>Denver, Lucas Cotler (midfield)—> Denver, Brian Ward (LSM)—> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** in the portal for 2022

Div 2/3
Gettysburg - Mitch Wykoff(Defense) —> Syracuse
Lynchburg - Kevin Rogers --> High Point
Saint Leo - Ethan Ticehurst (defense) —> Towson
Saint Leo - Philip Buque(offense) —> Wagner
Saint Leo - CJ Stowell (attack) —> Mount St. Mary’s
St. Lawrence - Tyler Burns --> Fairfield
Bentley - Matt Brooks (Midfield) —> Merrimack
Bates - Matthew Chlastawa (attack) —>Fairfield
Middlebury - Michael McCormack —> UVM