Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:25 am
Wheels wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm
Explains why the portal crashed the other day. The Ivy students must have gotten word early and flooded the portal.

Going to be interesting to see how many go the Gallagher (UPenn) route and head to the portal or go the Sowers route and withdraw from classes.

Sowers said he didn't withdraw yet. Either way, don't know whether it's possible for all of them to do that, the Ivy probably isn't going to just let them withdraw and come back
Yeah, there's been that back and forth and the clarification tweet from Sowers last night. Some of the Ivies allow for the withdraw a lot easier than others. 4 straight years of Ivy (and PL) grad transfers...will be interesting to see how coaches in other conferences adapt to that if at all.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:15 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 am Ohio State’s Christian Tomei has announced that he has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/03/31/o ... er-portal/
The bio that was attached to the above post included the following:

He also earned first-team all-state and all-region honors all four years in high school.

As a senior, Tomei made 235 saves in 21 Games (11.1 per game) and was named Mr. Florida Lacrosse.

Christian is a good goalie no doubt (I have seen him play many times), but my son was also a 2019 goalie in Florida (same year as Tomei) and in Florida there is no such thing as "all-state" (admittedly, Florida is weird), nor is there such thing as "Mr. Florida Lacrosse," and I don't think there is such a thing as "all-region." All-Region and All-State honors are reserved for individual sports (as far as I know, and all of my three kids were HS athletes). FL sports awards for lacrosse are much more localized, basically All-District and All- Area teams (determined by local media). I am a big fan of Florida lacrosse despite moving back to NE almost as soon as my youngest graduated from HS. I am proud of the success that Bernhardt and Salcido have had, and I root for all FL players.
Yes there is bro. The FSCLA started the Mr. Lacrosse award in 2019. They did a 1A and 2A Mr. Lacrosse even though the classes just started this year. The All-State was from US Lacrosse who sponsors an All-State team in each state that coaches vote on. And yeah there is All-Region teams, as well.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Tdemling6 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am
Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 am Ohio State’s Christian Tomei has announced that he has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

He also earned first-team all-state and all-region honors all four years in high school.

As a senior, Tomei made 235 saves in 21 Games (11.1 per game) and was named Mr. Florida Lacrosse.

Christian is a good goalie no doubt (I have seen him play many times), but my son was also a 2019 goalie in Florida (same year as Tomei) and in Florida there is no such thing as "all-state" (admittedly, Florida is weird), nor is there such thing as "Mr. Florida Lacrosse," and I don't think there is such a thing as "all-region." All-Region and All-State honors are reserved for individual sports (as far as I know, and all of my three kids were HS athletes). FL sports awards for lacrosse are much more localized, basically All-District and All- Area teams (determined by local media). I am a big fan of Florida lacrosse despite moving back to NE almost as soon as my youngest graduated from HS. I am proud of the success that Bernhardt and Salcido have had, and I root for all FL players.
Yes there is bro. The FSCLA started the Mr. Lacrosse award in 2019. They did a 1A and 2A Mr. Lacrosse even though the classes just started this year. The All-State was from US Lacrosse who sponsors an All-State team in each state that coaches vote on. And yeah there is All-Region teams, as well.
I am going to guess that what unknown poster was getting at was that Tomei was thought of as overrated too many people that were in that class and either played against him, with him, or saw him play a bunch against good competition. I have no idea about the Mr Florida, all region, all state, all county, all legend, or whatever different awards there are out there. :-) He was decent, but not near the accolades that he seemed to get throughout high school. I know he didn't make the South region under Armour team the summer before his senior year and then I think he went to the Midwest one and made that. With that said, he is good enough that some team will want him. I just don't think it will be at a top lacrosse school if he is looking for a decent scholarship. If he is not looking for much of a scholarship because his family can afford to send him anywhere, then a top school might pick him up for free and see if he improves. I would if I didn't have to give him any money, but wouldn't if he was wanting an athletic scholarship.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

No there are not, no such thing as all-state or all-region on the west coast ... maybe they are just limited to SE FL IDK
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

.Expect the portal to keep expanding. Some really good players already on. In normal times, this would be THE thread
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Justafan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 pm

I am going to guess that what unknown poster was getting at was that Tomei was thought of as overrated too many people that were in that class and either played against him, with him, or saw him play a bunch against good competition. I have no idea about the Mr Florida, all region, all state, all county, all legend, or whatever different awards there are out there. :-) He was decent, but not near the accolades that he seemed to get throughout high school. I know he didn't make the South region under Armour team the summer before his senior year and then I think he went to the Midwest one and made that. With that said, he is good enough that some team will want him. I just don't think it will be at a top lacrosse school if he is looking for a decent scholarship. If he is not looking for much of a scholarship because his family can afford to send him anywhere, then a top school might pick him up for free and see if he improves. I would if I didn't have to give him any money, but wouldn't if he was wanting an athletic scholarship.
Tomei was good in 2019 and before, when I saw him play against my teams and my kids teams, no doubt ... and, altho it is not MD, NY, NJ, etc., there are some really good players in FL. But the kid, as a rising HS senior looked like the Rock, the kid was just jacked. We had some great HS football players at my school and county that went to big time programs (ND, UF, etc.) that were nowhere near as jacked as that kid. It always made me wonder about him. He's like 6'2" 280 and with a low BMI FFS.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Portal has some good players .Would think some are being contacted

So how does it work now with transfers especially those using the additional 5th year of eligibility.

Under the new rules, can they be given partial athletic scholarship out of the preexisting 12.6 ?
WhiteShark

Post by WhiteShark »

For clarification trying to understand the 12.6 fully funded D1 program. Am I correct with 12.6 scholarships say at a school that tuition and room board runs say $65,000 12.6 X 65,000 = $819,000 that can be divided by coaching staff with a roster of 40. Every player received an equal amount
$20,475 for that school. I realize the coach uses the funds at his discretion to build a competitive team and some players don't receive any funds and he can increase the amount to recruit more top tiered recruits.
wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

WhiteShark wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:39 pm For clarification trying to understand the 12.6 fully funded D1 program. Am I correct with 12.6 scholarships say at a school that tuition and room board runs say $65,000 12.6 X 65,000 = $819,000 that can be divided by coaching staff with a roster of 40. Every player received an equal amount
$20,475 for that school. I realize the coach uses the funds at his discretion to build a competitive team and some players don't receive any funds and he can increase the amount to recruit more top tiered recruits.
Yes this is correct.

My estimation is out of the 77ish Div 1 M Lax programs, only 40 are fully funded 12.6.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Aren't 12.6 scholarships based on tuition only and not room and board?

If seniors transfer under the new rules they have to fit under the existing 12.6 limit. Seniors staying at the same school can keep their scholarships (up to each school to allow that $) and teams are allowed to go over the 12.6 limit next year only.

It's complicated adding a transfer and fitting under the 12.6 with a full class of 2020 HS players. Coaches would have had to preplan it and some clearly do based on the transfers that happen each year in D1.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

wrhuradio wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:46 pm
WhiteShark wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:39 pm For clarification trying to understand the 12.6 fully funded D1 program. Am I correct with 12.6 scholarships say at a school that tuition and room board runs say $65,000 12.6 X 65,000 = $819,000 that can be divided by coaching staff with a roster of 40. Every player received an equal amount
Yes this is correct.

My estimation is out of the 77ish Div 1 M Lax programs, only 40 are fully funded 12.6.
Are the dollars based on in state or out of state tuition? Would make a big difference for ability of schools like PSU or MD to keep in state kids home.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes. By no means is the total amount split 40 ways. Many players get nothing, a very few, if any, get a full ride. The rest is divided at coach’s discretion, based both on need and, more so, what it took as a promise to convince a kid to come to your school. Schools juggle this and compete as to who will offer more to a given kid.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Good question. Athetic $ will be tight at most, if numbers increase in portal than supply may be greater than demand .
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

I believe you are correct...Scholarship $$ is for tuition and not room and board
Laxrules10 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:52 am Aren't 12.6 scholarships based on tuition only and not room and board?

If seniors transfer under the new rules they have to fit under the existing 12.6 limit. Seniors staying at the same school can keep their scholarships (up to each school to allow that $) and teams are allowed to go over the 12.6 limit next year only.

It's complicated adding a transfer and fitting under the 12.6 with a full class of 2020 HS players. Coaches would have had to preplan it and some clearly do based on the transfers that happen each year in D1.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

no an equivalency covers everything (tuition, board, room, fees, books) and is equivalent to the "cost of attendance" Lacrosse has 12.6 equivalencies that would cover everything, but is usually split between the 40-50 players.

Football has 85, at that number they do not split any equivalencies up (NCAA Rules) and have 85 guys paying $0 to the school. The preferred walk on or recruited walk on is the player they want in the program, but doesn't receive one of the 85 equivalences.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 am Good question. Athetic $ will be tight at most, if numbers increase in portal than supply may be greater than demand .
I think supply will be greater than demand even if the amount of guys in the portal stays pretty small. The number of schools that offer a mix of a high-level playing opportunity plus attractive grad school opportunities is pretty small. The ones that do include some of D1's most talent laden programs, all with their own seniors contemplating a return plus talented freshmen arriving in the fall. It's going to be tough to crack those rosters for all but the best guys in the portal or those who can fill a specific team need for 2021(goalie, fogo, lefty finisher, etc).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:03 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 am Good question. Athetic $ will be tight at most, if numbers increase in portal than supply may be greater than demand .
I think supply will be greater than demand even if the amount of guys in the portal stays pretty small. The number of schools that offer a mix of a high-level playing opportunity plus attractive grad school opportunities is pretty small. The ones that do include some of D1's most talent laden programs, all with their own seniors contemplating a return plus talented freshmen arriving in the fall. It's going to be tough to crack those rosters for all but the best guys in the portal or those who can fill a specific team need for 2021(goalie, fogo, lefty finisher, etc).
Or a senior 1st/2nd team AA with eligibility left.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Right. AA and all conference type players are who I meant by "best guys" and they'll definitely be in demand. But with 4.5-5 classes worth of guys one these teams they'll have plenty of depth. That's why I don't see the solid but not spectacular guys in the portal getting many offers.
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Is there a link to access the Transfer Portal? or can someone post a current full list please
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:46 pm Right. AA and all conference type players are who I meant by "best guys" and they'll definitely be in demand. But with 4.5-5 classes worth of guys one these teams they'll have plenty of depth. That's why I don't see the solid but not spectacular guys in the portal getting many offers.
Yep.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”