Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by HopFan16 »

hofpride wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am so if things dont work out in the transfer portal - they will still be eligible to come back unless they officially resigned from school? maybe not into open arms
Would be a pretty weak locker room if they hold it against a graduating senior if he wanted to see what options were out there before ultimately deciding to return to his original teammates.

Now obviously the situation is a bit different for a kid like Chase Scanlan who burned every bridge imaginable after announcing he was transferring. If he decided he wanted to go back to Loyola after that then I can't imagine he'd have received a warm reception. But instances like that are not super common as far as I know.

With McCarthy to UNC, there aren't too many big names left on the market. Lipka, Dickson, Carpenter, and the two Holy Cross guys are some notable ones remaining.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
hofpride wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am so if things dont work out in the transfer portal - they will still be eligible to come back unless they officially resigned from school? maybe not into open arms
Would be a pretty weak locker room if they hold it against a graduating senior if he wanted to see what options were out there before ultimately deciding to return to his original teammates.

Now obviously the situation is a bit different for a kid like Chase Scanlan who burned every bridge imaginable after announcing he was transferring. If he decided he wanted to go back to Loyola after that then I can't imagine he'd have received a warm reception. But instances like that are not super common as far as I know.

With McCarthy to UNC, there aren't too many big names left on the market. Lipka, Dickson, Carpenter, and the two Holy Cross guys are some notable ones remaining.
what about Ryder Garnsey? Do you think he possibly burned some bridges when he first announced he would be leaving ND with the full release, and then decided to come back?

Re: Scanlan. There were some comments going back and forth between him and Stover last summer after all the stuff the former discussed in interviews. Pretty sure every guy on the team unfollowed and disassociated themselves with him once those interviews dropped. As a casual, I'm all for the kid trying to better his future, making friends through lacrosse and feeling welcomed, going to Newhouse which has an excellent program for what he wants to major in - but on a personal note if i was a college teammate who you discussed and burned through interviews i'd be livid after that.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m sure Toomey teaches his kids to let it go, put your head down and focus on what one can control.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Updating HopFan16's list

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Boston University - Max Tetreault (FOGO) —> Trinity
Bryant - David DeMartino (defense)—>Trinity
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack)—>Notre Dame, Connor Shears (defense) —> Jacksonville, Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack)
Canisius - Cade Talbert (goalie)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield) —> Maryland, Nicky Petkevich (attack)—>Georgetown, Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Duke - CJ Carpenter (attack)—>Bryant
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)—>OSU, Luke Muter (defense), Jack Rooney(midfield)—> Merrimack, Cole Horan (defense)—>Syracuse, Brett Tenagila (attack) —>Syracuse
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)*, Nigel Andrews (midfield)
Hobart - PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)—>Maryland, Justin Scott (A/M)
Hampton - Ian Groom(FO)—>Hartford
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)—>OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield), Dan O'Connell(FO)—>Duke
Hopkins - Alex Gainey (goalie), Alex Concannon (midfield) --> Hofstra, Matt Stagnitta (midfield) --> Jacksonville, Michael Gomez (defense)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense) Hopkins, Greg Wells —>Tuffs
Lehigh - Colin Kirst(goalie)—> Rutgers
Loyola - Jack Raba (Attack)—>Wesleyan
Maryland - Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)—>Stony Brook, Jack DeSantis (defense)—>OSU
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO), Charlie Bertrand (attack)—>Virginia
Michigan - Matt Trowbridge (goalie), Finn Goonan (LSM)
Mount St. Mary's - Evan Falkowski (midfield)
Notre Dame - Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie)—>Hopkins, Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO)---> Notre Dame, Kyle Thornton (defense)--->Notre Dame
Penn State - Collin Almeida (Midfield)-->Bryant, Brad Santore (Midfield)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack)—>Duke, Connor McCarthy (midfield)—>UNC, Phil Robertson (attack)—>Duke
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)—> Notre Dame
Richmond - Mick Burden (FO)
Rutgers - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack), Edward Beyer (midfield)—>D2 Florida Southern
St. John’s - Kyle McBride(LSM), Jon Dugenio(FO)—>Rutgers, Colin Bosak (FO)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)—>Duke
Sienna- Jack Drillock (defense)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)—> Hopkins, Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack)—> Drexel, Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield)—> Rutgers, Justin Kim (midfield) —> Rutgers, David Lipka(midfield)
Towson - Casey Wasserman(midfield)**
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield)
UMass Lowell - Matt Murakami (goalie)
UMBC - Steven Cornwell (LSM)—> Christopher Newport
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield)—>PSU. Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany, Jimmy Perkins (A/M)—>RMU, Nick Hapney (defense)—> Syracuse
Villanova - Connor Kirst (offense)—> Rutgers
Virginia - Xander Dickson (attack)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack)—>Delaware, Ben French (attack)—> D2 Tampa
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)—>SHU
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack)—>Denver, Lucas Cotler (midfield)—> Denver, Brian Ward (LSM)—> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** in the portal for 2022

Div 2/3
Gettysburg - Mitch Wykoff(Defense) —> Syracuse
Lynchburg - Kevin Rogers --> High Point
Saint Leo - Ethan Ticehurst (defense) —> Towson
Saint Leo - Philip Buque(offense) —> Wagner
Saint Leo - CJ Stowell (attack) —> Mount St. Mary’s
St. Lawrence - Tyler Burns --> Fairfield
Bentley - Matt Brooks (Midfield) —> Merrimack
Bates - Matthew Chlastawa (attack) —>Fairfield
Middlebury - Michael McCormack —> UVM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

While the focus is on the ACC/Big Ten I’ve noticed Bryant, Jacksonville and Fairfield have been pretty active. Other schools have taken in a kid or two but those three seem very active. Bryant has been on a bit of a downswing so Pressler may be looking to take one two more shots. Fairfield is rebuilding so not sure if plugging one year players makes a ton of sense and Jacksonville just seems to have become a wayward home for dissatisfied kids since Galloway got there.

Surprised that the NEC appears to have been more active than the AE, CAA and MAAC overall though obviously a few CAA schools have managed to bring in some strong kids (I think).
See Martin, Malcolm
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

To add to the ongoing chart, Jake Nelson of Syracuse is going to Le Moyne.
118:24 #HHH
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I know that all of us are really looking forward to the upcoming season. I hate to throw cold water on this discussion about transfers and the 20/21 season, but how can we be sure it will actually take place?

The PGA tour has taken every precaution necessary and today that have announced that they already have one player, Nick Watney infected with COVID-19. A non-contact sport with no fans and they’ve already got one guy infected in week #2 of their return. What happens when football returns and multiple players get infected? How much risk are ADs going to take in this environment? I hope I am wrong. I’d lose my mind with another lost season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cuseman4133 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:54 pm To add to the ongoing chart, Jake Nelson of Syracuse is going to Le Moyne.
Same kid that left Bingo when Tim Nelson got bounced from SUNy then Mercer before Cuse? He’s got to be 24-25 if so.
See Martin, Malcolm
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 pm I know that all of us are really looking forward to the upcoming season. I hate to throw cold water on this discussion about transfers and the 20/21 season, but how can we be sure it will actually take place?

The PGA tour has taken every precaution necessary and today that have announced that they already have one player, Nick Watney infected with COVID-19. A non-contact sport with no fans and they’ve already got one guy infected in week #2 of their return. What happens when football returns and multiple players get infected? How much risk are ADs going to take in this environment? I hope I am wrong. I’d lose my mind with another lost season.
[/quot

I doubt fall ball will be played
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

20+ Clemson football have tested positive for COVID-19
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... st-testing
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 pm I know that all of us are really looking forward to the upcoming season. I hate to throw cold water on this discussion about transfers and the 20/21 season, but how can we be sure it will actually take place?

Because the show must go on,
it’s just the way it is.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:55 pm

it’s just the way it is.
The way it is is that, over the next 12-18 months, at least 50% and likely more of the US will be infected with COVID and the vast, vast majority of them will be fine. A very small percentage will not. The point of all of the lockdowns, distancing, yadayada was and is to slow the spread so that hospitals aren't swamped. It wasn't ever to reduce the number of people who get it, just draw it out. Those Clemson football players will almost certainly all be fine. People are going to come to grips with it or not. If the reaction to a few people involved with an activity testing positive after that activity restarts is to shut it down again, it is legitimately possible we will not have sports for years. I certainly hope that as a society we decide to play through it with extremely low risk populations but we are not exactly in a national period of calm, rational thought.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is there anything that feckless university administrators are more afraid of than litigation risk? That might trump what your saying, whether one agrees or not.
See Martin, Malcolm
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:54 pm To add to the ongoing chart, Jake Nelson of Syracuse is going to Le Moyne.
Same kid that left Bingo when Tim Nelson got bounced from SUNy then Mercer before Cuse? He’s got to be 24-25 if so.
Yep same guy. Went from Binghamton for a year, then Mercer, then Syracuse for 3 (redshirted his 1st), now at Le Moyne.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:56 pm

it’s just the way it is.
The way it is is that, over the next 12-18 months, at least 50% and likely more of the US will be infected with COVID and the vast, vast majority of them will be fine. A very small percentage will not. The point of all of the lockdowns, distancing, yadayada was and is to slow the spread so that hospitals aren't swamped. It wasn't ever to reduce the number of people who get it, just draw it out. Those Clemson football players will almost certainly all be fine. People are going to come to grips with it or not. If the reaction to a few people involved with an activity testing positive after that activity restarts is to shut it down again, it is legitimately possible we will not have sports for years. I certainly hope that as a society we decide to play through it with extremely low risk populations but we are not exactly in a national period of calm, rational thought.
We won't have fall ball, scrimmages at least. I think I can see small individual and group workouts. If Duke can do it, why can't everybody else? Especially with schools trimming budgets for this year, going to affect some travel.

It's too early to say if we'll have the spring sports. There's still a chance all the fall sports except football are pushed back to the spring. As for lax, I started to get a little bit concerned after the Clemson and Texas and Houston news over the past week. I feel like there's a group of people that just want everything back to normal. Their patience is very low. Whether you get the virus and are asymptomatic or not, it's not going away until there's a vaccine. Simple as that. Can see a limited number of fans allowed for lax (preference to student-athlete families and boosters). Let's have this conversation again in September/October.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

cuseman4133 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 pm
pcowlax wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:56 pm

it’s just the way it is.
We won't have fall ball, scrimmages at least. I think I can see small individual and group workouts. If Duke can do it, why can't everybody else? Especially with schools trimming budgets for this year, going to affect some travel.

It's too early to say if we'll have the spring sports. There's still a chance all the fall sports except football are pushed back to the spring. As for lax, I started to get a little bit concerned after the Clemson and Texas and Houston news over the past week. I feel like there's a group of people that just want everything back to normal. Their patience is very low. Whether you get the virus and are asymptomatic or not, it's not going away until there's a vaccine. Simple as that. Can see a limited number of fans allowed for lax (preference to student-athlete families and boosters). Let's have this conversation again in September/October.
Yes, it indeed won't go away until there is, hopefully, a vaccine. Don't want to hijack this thread with COVID talk but tolerance for, and more importantly, understanding of risk is going to be really the deciding factor for what sports we see over the next year. There won't be a widely available vaccine under the best case scenario until likely after next spring.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 pm Is there anything that feckless university administrators are more afraid of than litigation risk? That might trump what your saying, whether one agrees or not.
That’s a factor.
But there are always ways to mitigate litigation.
Waivers would be one way.
No fall ball for spring sports are another, as others above have pointed out.
I’d think universities with decent endowments have already or would set aside some of that endowment for any coronavirus lawsuit defense funds.
Some leagues have already put in place reduced scheduling rules / allowances.
Limit extended travel, air travel.
And any number of other risk reduction ideas.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

How could a player transfer that many times and be able to compete immediately? I am referring to Nelson. I get ale Moyne is probably a graduate transfer but as an undergrad can’t you only transfer once and be immediately eligible?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 pm Is there anything that feckless university administrators are more afraid of than litigation risk? That might trump what your saying, whether one agrees or not.
That’s a factor.
But there are always ways to mitigate litigation.
Waivers would be one way.
No fall ball for spring sports are another, as others above have pointed out.
I’d think universities with decent endowments have already or would set aside some of that endowment for any coronavirus lawsuit defense funds.
Some leagues have already put in place reduced scheduling rules / allowances.
Limit extended travel, air travel.
And any number of other risk reduction ideas.
Of course we are talking about a group that’s generally about risk avoidance rather than risk mitigation. Not to be a downer but think about the group we’re talking about here, really two groups when you have the Gordon Gee types in Major FB/BB and the types at IVYs,PL, NESCAC.

You want to bet the vast majority of college heads are thinking harder about risk mitigation or risk avoidance? I suspect I know where I’d bet the deed to my house. Hopefully I’m wrong but college admin are living in a circle in my mind not far from politicians.
See Martin, Malcolm
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

In this environment, thought schools would look to consolidate wherever possible resulting in fewer programs and smaller rosters for the ones kept. .NCAA ruling was royal screwup imo at a time where monitoring and managing the health of a roster is a priority.

Several programs are quite large and could cut the fringes when it's realized that numbers are unwieldy. Little need to be over 50 lest near 60. Recruiting classes are likely to be smaller going forward as programs work off excesses over the next few years

If reason for returning was simply to play lax rather than pursue higher academics then could see a few reversing their decision to return if spring season is in jeopardy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”