Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxman23

Transfer Portal

Post by Laxman23 »

Do people think this shortened season will result in a significant uptick in the numbers of lax players entering the transfer portal?
PSU’s Ament graciously thanked everyone but stated he would not return for what would have been a sixth year at PSU. I Imagine shortly some big name seniors will announce their intentions. Some will likely announce their plans to stay.
If I was a second or third line inderclassman just waiting for the super star senior to graduate I might be tempted to move on particularly if an “all world freshman” at my position was joining the team next year. Also, if I was a successful senior with another year of eligibility and could grab a partial scholarship and a graduate degree at say a U Mich I would be tempted. particularly if my fifth year at my home institution could not lead to a graduate degree or at least graduate course work.

Also if I just completed a third of my soph season yet seemed buried on the depth chart I might more strongly consider a fresh start at a new program?
Laxman23

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Laxman23 »

Sorry for duplicate post
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Bearfan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 pm Do people think this shortened season will result in a significant uptick in the numbers of lax players entering the transfer portal?
PSU’s Ament graciously thanked everyone but stated he would not return for what would have been a sixth year at PSU. I Imagine shortly some big name seniors will announce their intentions. Some will likely announce their plans to stay.
If I was a second or third line inderclassman just waiting for the super star senior to graduate I might be tempted to move on particularly if an “all world freshman” at my position was joining the team next year. Also, if I was a successful senior with another year of eligibility and could grab a partial scholarship and a graduate degree at say a U Mich I would be tempted. particularly if my fifth year at my home institution could not lead to a graduate degree or at least graduate course work.

Also if I just completed a third of my soph season yet seemed buried on the depth chart I might more strongly consider a fresh start at a new program?
Some will transfer. It will depend on so many factors... firstly and most importantly, is the player academically committed to the school and program they have chosen?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Unfortunately there will probably be more financially driven transfer decisions this year as that 10% scholarship to an expensive private or out of state school doesn't seem so important during this economy. I bet there will also be more college athletes who just quit their sports altogether after many weeks or months sitting idle, especially some of the non-rev sports with rigorous training schedules.

Whatever the reasons for transferring, it's their own personal decision and there is no wrong reason (well maybe one--the one about chasing tail). It also should not be that important to anyone other than the kid and his family.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

One of the resent stories in IL said some players have entered the portal but has not named names. On the Michigan thread they said UPenn FO guy is looking at Michigan grad school.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

NCAA problably should have just let well enough alone, life is gonna present extenuating circumstances and gotta cope. Most players in 4th year on field still had final campaigns that actually started in September and lasted through early March.My vantage is its just as much about length of time spent bonding and working with teammates than just the number of regular season games played.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Coach Tillman touched on this. He didn't think there'd be a ton of seniors deciding to come back. He did think it would create more transfers, though. Not from the possible returning 5th/extra year players but from younger players who would lose playing time to those possible returnees or from current and incoming freshman who would now see the full freshman class double.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 am Coach Tillman touched on this. He didn't think there'd be a ton of seniors deciding to come back. He did think it would create more transfers, though. Not from the possible returning 5th/extra year players but from younger players who would lose playing time to those possible returnees or from current and incoming freshman who would now see the full freshman class double.
+1 (see Law of Unintended Consequences)
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 am Coach Tillman touched on this. He didn't think there'd be a ton of seniors deciding to come back. He did think it would create more transfers, though. Not from the possible returning 5th/extra year players but from younger players who would lose playing time to those possible returnees or from current and incoming freshman who would now see the full freshman class double.
It sounds like the back end with the double freshmen class will be the real problem, and it could hang around for 4 seasons. Of course, we might see a fair amount of PGing and red-shirting among the incoming freshmen to spread this thing out. I assume most high schools are going with online learning so kids will graduate on time.

We could see some really strong teams emerging over the next few seasons.
Live Free or Die!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

No one taking into account players' parents' income hits from a cratering economy? All these young men (postgrad at college or HS level) going to get full scholarships for their postgrad experiences? Nnnnnnoooooooo. In general the sport has strong income demographics but $$$ will be an increasing factor for the next... 18 months? More? Less?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not just income, but assets also. As parents of college-age students grow older, assets become a bigger part of the mix.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Income/Assets/ability to pay is one of the many issues in the complex equation of coming back for a 5th year.

In the best of times, the cost associated with an extra year, both what you pay to do it, and what you give up by not entering the work force, is big.

What is going on right now will have long term financial implications across the board. And the job market for college graduates will be disrupted/impacted for the next several years. All these factors warrant consideration.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ty Xanders did a podcast with Jamie Munro discuss impact. No players named.
PHI-Lacrosse-OPHY. #76 episodes
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm Ty Xanders did a podcast with Jamie Munro discuss impact. No players named.
PHI-Lacrosse-OPHY. #76 episodes
Both think chaos is headed to D1 lacrosse for next few years due to extra eligibility years. Lot of good points made.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I agree with Stuptified. The players missed about 6 -7 weeks of playing time, not a full year. Yes it’s unfortunate but there are bigger things we are contending with. Time to move on.
socalref

Post by socalref »

for seniors coming back, there will be interesting choices. i know some schools are already putting together contingency plans for remote learning for the fall 2020 semester.

will folks pay that much to come back for that? no college football? interesting times.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

bauer4429 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 pm I agree with Stuptified. The players missed about 6 -7 weeks of playing time, not a full year. Yes it’s unfortunate but there are bigger things we are contending with. Time to move on.
"6-7 weeks of playing time"

Teams who would have made the NCAA Tournament missed more like 10 weeks of playing time. Average team got to play like 6 games, which for even the worst teams is like 1/3rd of their season. They basically did lose a full year. The Ivy League didn't even play a month.

What more important things is the NCAA contending with? The NCAA can't do anything to stop the virus. I can't think of anything better for the NCAA to do right now than to act in the best interest of the student athletes, which is to let them actually play something remotely close to the full season they were owed.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

They aint "owed "sheet. Its a privilege not a right . They had 3 2/3 of seasons with their teams that starts from September through May each year . No athletic monies granted was taken away for not playing a full season. Do senior hs players get do overs? People are getting sick, losing jobs and savings , small businesses are folding , nothing is 'owed" to the select families and programs that can afford another year. The inherent inequities and difficulties that this would create are clear . Not worth opening Pandora box to appease some . Deal and cope .Time for NCAA to backtrack and move on.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nd-impact/

Then what? Don't they also get another season?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

njfanlax wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nd-impact/

Then what? Don't they also get another season?
There is an article in Wall Street Journal discussing the budgetary damage that this is doing to all college sport programs .D1 NCAA schools are getting just 37.5% of anticipated financial distributions mainly due to loss of March Madness . Some schools that dont have revenue football programs are going to be hurt even more, some non revenue sport programs could be exited especially women that would likely have to be matched by cuts in mens non revenue sports.

Yeh, lets be concerned with the minority group of lead players and affluent families ,who are 'owed' another year .

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”