SimSeason 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU88

Re: SimSeason 2020

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

One game on the docket this evening, but it's a really exciting (fake) game. Duke vs UNC. 8 miles and a shade of blue. A chance for UNC to really establish themselves as one of the sim-favorites in the sim-ACC along-side sim-Cuse and maybe sim-UVA. sim-Duke needs this one or their sim-NCAA probability will drop down to around 40%. That's the danger zone on the wrong-side of the bubble.

Opening faceoff is at 7 PM (you knew this game would be moved to primetime; no TV contracts to worry about!)

Duke vs Carolina
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

I added a new "feature" to the SimSeason. The Standings tab has been updated to show the standings in each conference as well as the probability that each team will finish in each position. (If you are on mobile, it's just the most likely seed for each team.)

This should give a sense of where each team is likely to end up as far as seeding for the simulated league tournaments.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

2 games on the slate today:

VMI vs UMBC - 2:00 PM
Manhattan vs Monmouth - 3:45 PM

Thinking about shifting some games around to different days so that we don't have as many empty days.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

lr, question: going in to a particular game, I can get a rough idea of who is favored by comparing ELOs.

And after a game, I can see what the winning percentage is before or at the first whistle.

Is there a way to see the projected winning percentage before the game, before you start populating the live real time winning percentage graph?

Keep up the great work!
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm lr, question: going in to a particular game, I can get a rough idea of who is favored by comparing ELOs.

And after a game, I can see what the winning percentage is before or at the first whistle.

Is there a way to see the projected winning percentage before the game, before you start populating the live real time winning percentage graph?

Keep up the great work!
I'll try and carve out some time to add that to the preview page. Thanks for the suggestion.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

laxreference wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 pm lr, question: going in to a particular game, I can get a rough idea of who is favored by comparing ELOs.

Keep up the great work!
I'll try and carve out some time to add that to the preview page. Thanks for the suggestion.
If this site had a like/thumbs up, I would give you ELEVEN.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Ok, the game pages have been updated with an extra section for Win Probability. I have also made it so that that "Upcoming Games" on the SimSeason page have active links that take you to the preview pages for that game. Of course, those links switch over to the live win probabilities as soon as the simulation of the game starts.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Super! Thanks!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

laxreference wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 pm Ok, the game pages have been updated with an extra section for Win Probability. I have also made it so that that "Upcoming Games" on the SimSeason page have active links that take you to the preview pages for that game. Of course, those links switch over to the live win probabilities as soon as the simulation of the game starts.
I couldn’t see it on mobile, but when I sent the Hopkins-Michigan page to my phone as a pdf file, I saw it’s 52%-48% Hopkins.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Fixed. The WP is visible on mobile too now.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Just a reminder. We've got 4 primetime simulations running this evening...

Denver vs Georgetown - 6:45 PM
Johns Hopkins vs Michigan - 7:00 PM
Penn vs Yale - 7:45 PM
Notre Dame vs Syracuse - 8:00 PM
SMK_GB33

Post by SMK_GB33 »

Another sim of Michigan vs. Hopkins!

https://grabyo.com/g/v/ekptOzQJHtG
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse coming out of the gate a little slow, down 3-2 in the 1st.
Field is wet, drizzling on and off all day here. Nice crowd despite that.
No worries, Cuse boys'll come back.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 pm Cuse coming out of the gate a little slow, down 3-2 in the 1st.
So far, the ND possession margin and shot advantage is the difference. 2 failed clears by Cuse too...

I'll be surprised if ND is able to maintain the FO split too. 50% for both teams so far.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

laxreference wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 pm Cuse coming out of the gate a little slow, down 3-2 in the 1st.
So far, the ND possession margin and shot advantage is the difference. 2 failed clears by Cuse too...

I'll be surprised if ND is able to maintain the FO split too. 50% for both teams so far.
Cuse clears at a high 92% but seems the 2 sims so far have them around 70%.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:41 pm
laxreference wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Cuse clears at a high 92% but seems the 2 sims so far have them around 70%.
Lazy answer is "small sample-size, anything can happen." But I also wanted to share a little bit of under-the-hood stuff too. Whenever there is a clear attempt, the simulator averages the clearing team's success rate with the average clearing success rate of the defense's opponents. Then the random-number generator picks a number. If it's below the average of those two success rates, the clear is "good". If it's higher, the clear fails.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse comes back to go up 1 heading into the 4th.
Failed clears? Dearth's leg must've been giving him a little trouble early on. Looks good now though, no more failed clears. Buttermore good for a couple in the 4th. Couple of bounce shots on the wet turf from out front...good as gold.
GO CUSE!!!!!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxreference wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:50 pm Just a reminder. We've got 4 primetime simulations running this evening...

Denver vs Georgetown - 6:45 PM
Johns Hopkins vs Michigan - 7:00 PM
Penn vs Yale - 7:45 PM
Notre Dame vs Syracuse - 8:00 PM
Look we all know Hopkins stunk this year but why do they keep getting killed on faceoffs in your simulation?

The Jays were 59% in faceoffs before the season ended.

Their three sim oppontents were all significantly worse on faceoffs: Navy 51%, Delaware 40%, Michigan 54%.

And yet all three won the simulated faceoff battle against the Jays by pretty big margins. Navy won 65%, Delaware won 54%, Michigan won 61%. None of that seems terribly realistic.

Kyle Prouty was a combined 35/46 (76%) facing off against Delaware and Michigan last year.

I think this is cool and all but something isn't adding up in the way the FOs are playing out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”