SimSeason 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

Re: SimSeason 2020

Post by xxxxxxx »

This exercise is beyond stupid and unfair to players who already had their seasons taken from them, now they have to read about losing a game they never played. I know people are bored but try to think about the heartbroken college kids who don’t deserve this.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Methinks someone is taking it all a titch too seriously, x.
Christalmighty, a bunch of computer generated, this might have happened stuff, is going to fracture the fragile lacrosse boys? C'mon. Maybe SimSeason could hand out imaginary trophies to all the players at season's end and they'd all be okay then?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’m agreeing with DMac on this. (Olive branch, man).

Other sports fans are doing this. D1 Hockey for example.

And men’s basketball - there is simulated bracketology floating around, and many had a big beef with the NC$$ for not issuing a projected bracket a week or so ago. They rightly said no - they couldn’t, because not all of the games had been played, which were conference tournaments that awarded a boatload of AQs.

Anyway, why I understand your sentiment, I’m having trouble with just how heartbroken the players are. Many will get to take advantage of an extra year of eligibility.

I try to look at that as a glass more than half full - these guys are going to get 4.5 years of playing one of the best collegiate sports, instead of just 4. And under far better circumstances than the personal hell Duke went through in 2006, provided they stay safe.

LP’s motto was For The Fan, For The Sport.

This exercise is merely hypothetical and For The Fan (and others) as entertainment only, filling a gap. Which helps, for some, to heal the loss of not having games over the next 2.5 months.

Here’s another interesting angle that I hope lr emphasizes: highlight the upsets that occurred in the sims, especially the very improbable ones. Could be fun.

If I were a player, I would simply scoff. Ain’t real.

I realize this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but for those of us who enjoy it and appreciate lr’s labor of love here, my recommendation is to scroll over it all and ignore it if you don’t like it.

Let others try to extract some theoretical fun out of this mess.

Me? I’m looking forward to Michigan at Hopkins this Saturday.

Peace,
Wombat
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Maybe I am taking it a bit too seriously but I have two college lacrosse players currently living in my house one who was a fifth year grad student, so maybe my perspective is a little different. I’m sorry it’s stupid and a waste of time, nothing good will come from it. If you miss it like a lot of us watch some archived games on lsn or YouTube.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’m watching Hopkins games backwards.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What's stupid and a waste of time is getting your nuts all twisted up about make believe games that never happened and never will.
There's not one person here who isn't missing the season. Yesterday was about as nice a day as you could expect for in March in CNY. Mid/upper 30s, blue sky with sun, light breeze. Duke-Cuse scheduled to play at CNS due to Dome renovations. Pretty nice HS facility, holds about 5K. Place would have been close to capacity, if not at capacity. We all missed out on that, and yup, it sucks.
Am sure the players at your house are bummed but I'll be damned if I can figure how make believe games can be a traumatic experience for them. Yup, plenty of YouTube games to re-watch out there...can pick out only the ones you won, too.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 pm I’m watching Hopkins games backwards.
The good news is they all end in ties!
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

One sim-game in the books; 4 to go today:

Canisius vs Cleveland State - 1:30 PM
Detroit vs Air Force - 3:45 PM
Lehigh vs Wagner - 5:30 PM
Villanova vs Brown - 6:45 PM
Cornell vs Colgate - 7:10 PM

Each link is the game preview until the games starts, when it will flip over to the normal game page.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
DMac

Post by DMac »

Detroit-AF was a heck of a game. AF came out like a jet catapulted off an aircraft carrier (not really, AF pilots aren't really that good, that's Navy pilot stuff). Went up 3-zip in the 1st. Detroit cooled their jets in the 2nd though, holding them to zilch while netting 3 Gs themselves. 3rd was a real dog fight, both teams tallied for 4 strikes while also taking 4 shots to their own nets. 7-7, end of 3. Titans crash AF's W mission with an explosion of 3 Gs in the 4th while only allowing AF to hit twice. 10-9, final.
Detroit dominated the face offs, that's why they won.
(both teams with 45 possessions)
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Just being honest w the sim. Irelan for Cornell is not v good. It’s a malaise of the brother etc. He simply doesn’t see D1 shots very well.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm Just being honest w the sim. Irelan for Cornell is not v good. It’s a malaise of the brother etc. He simply doesn’t see D1 shots very well.
Well I don't know about all that, but Sim-Ierlan is seeing them pretty well tonight. 67% save pct through 2 quarters.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I haven’t been following the simulations that closely, but I do think the whole concept is fascinating. Anyone who is not interested should just blow the whole thing off. No one is forcing you to follow along and there’s no reason to protect anyone either. If it’s a bogus enterprise then they should also not pay any attention and just treat it as bogus, i.e., not real.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I applaud the Irelan family to put 2 kids thru Ivy Schools / lacrosse. But the goalie needs time
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm Just being honest w the sim. Irelan for Cornell is not v good. It’s a malaise of the brother etc. He simply doesn’t see D1 shots very well.
I mean maybe he wasn't having a great start to the year (just over 40%), but he is definitely a solid goalie. Last year as a freshman he won the starting job and finished around 54%. I think that's pretty good in the shot clock era. I'm not saying that all stats for goalies are equal as defenses and opponents do make a difference, but Chayse was at 53.7% last year. In comparison, 2nd Team All American Tim Troutner (High Point) was at 54.1% and 3rd Team All American Reed Junkin (Penn) was at 53.1%. So he was right there from a SV% standpoint.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Ketch wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 pm I haven’t been following the simulations that closely, but I do think the whole concept is fascinating. Anyone who is not interested should just blow the whole thing off. No one is forcing you to follow along and there’s no reason to protect anyone either. If it’s a bogus enterprise then they should also not pay any attention and just treat it as bogus, i.e., not real.
+1
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Just pushed an update to the SimSeason page. Now, under the NCAA tab, I've got the RPI, SOS, and NCAA probability for each team. Records reflect both simulated and actual games to date. SIM-Cornell still has the best NCAA probability.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

laxreference wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 pm Just pushed an update to the SimSeason page. Now, under the NCAA tab, I've got the RPI, SOS, and NCAA probability for each team. Records reflect both simulated and actual games to date. SIM-Cornell still has the best NCAA probability.
Interesting that the sims have Maryland beating UNC and UVA but still have a lower probability than either of those teams to make the NCAA tournament.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just goes to show you all systems have their gliches/flaws.
Cuse is the clear favorite here.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm
Interesting that the sims have Maryland beating UNC and UVA but still have a lower probability than either of those teams to make the NCAA tournament.
I haven't dug into the detailed final projections, but I'll give you my hunch: last year the Big Ten conference got a decent-sized RPI boost because of the overall strength of the conference. So with comparable records, MD might be at a disadvantage relative to the ACC schools from a strict-RPI perspective.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

laxreference wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm
I haven't dug into the detailed final projections, but I'll give you my hunch: last year the Big Ten conference got a decent-sized RPI boost because of the overall strength of the conference. So with comparable records, MD might be at a disadvantage relative to the ACC schools from a strict-RPI perspective.
I'm going to get irrationally angry when the sims exclude the Terps from the tournament! :D :D :D :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”