Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by kramerica.inc »

houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Hi everyone, hope all is well! just wanted to share some recent recruit news.

IL posted their evaluations on players who just finished the IL Invitational Session 2 Event. One of our 2021 recruits, Joey Annetta was the 2nd highest rated guy out of that event with an 87 as a Close D guy. Just something to keep an eye on!

Here's his breakdown:
"An enormous frame who sits low, runs well laterally, springs off of his step and is excellent at matching feet. He's a really big, strong on-ball defender who's tough to run around and nearly impossible to post up.

Didn't showcase much in support, off the ground or with the ball in his stick in the game I watched, but seemed to routinely pick the opponent's best player to cover."

So he appears to have good footwork and a nice first step to close out. The last part of the write-up is something that can be developed but He seems to be a lockdown D-guy when tasked with one on one matchups
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 am Hi everyone, hope all is well! just wanted to share some recent recruit news.

IL posted their evaluations on players who just finished the IL Invitational Session 2 Event. One of our 2021 recruits, Joey Annetta was the 2nd highest rated guy out of that event with an 87 as a Close D guy. Just something to keep an eye on!

Here's his breakdown:
"An enormous frame who sits low, runs well laterally, springs off of his step and is excellent at matching feet. He's a really big, strong on-ball defender who's tough to run around and nearly impossible to post up.

Didn't showcase much in support, off the ground or with the ball in his stick in the game I watched, but seemed to routinely pick the opponent's best player to cover."

So he appears to have good footwork and a nice first step to close out. The last part of the write-up is something that can be developed but He seems to be a lockdown D-guy when tasked with one on one matchups
Thanks for sharing...and that is good news! This staff is just really good at recruiting guys and guys that might be considered a bit under the radar...just look at a few of the freshman from last year...our staff just gets it...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am
Lenwood117 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am Where does everyone think we fit in regards to the rest of the patriot league (mostly army). Anything below the top 2 is a disappointment, but does Army lose a lot? Lehigh?
Army loses their entire senior class because service academies do not coincide with the extra 5th year the NCAA gave to spring athletes.

That being said for this year's army team- they are losing: Manown, Silva, Dewitt, O'Brien which I believe are their top offensive threats sans Nichtern.
Never count Army out though, they might not get the best recruits but they know how to be a consistent top team with a great defense every single year.

Lehigh's seniors who got playing time i believe this year were: Pettit, Kirst, Klose, Pierce, Gaffney.

Pettit is not returning and neither is Kirst I think. Gaffney i'm not too sure - but Lehigh loses a couple of good contributors but will remain their core for next year.

Loyola will be in the hunt like what Kramerica said with what we have coming back and basing it off of how we did in this shortened season.

DO not sleep on Holy Cross. They have been making great strides in the PL with their new coach
Preseason Rankings IMO 2021
Loyola
Lehigh
Navy
Bucknell
Army
BC
HC
Colgate
Laf
I'd put Navy at #2 solely on how strong their recruiting class is for 2020. They brought in two 5 stars and leapfrogged the top spot ahead of UMD, Duke, Hopkins and the big names. With Amplo as their new coach, i say they can be a preseason favorite to win it as well. I would move army to the 3/4 spot as well. Bucknell lost a lot due to graduation, and their 5th year impact guys transferred to another program for grad school.
That's giving the Navy freshmen a lot of credit, seeing as they haven't played a game yet--at this level. Not convinced Amplo is an upgrade from Sowell, either. I like the Hounds chances next and would love to see them make another deep run in the tourney. Hard to not root for that staff and
team--having a Hobart guy on staff is enough for me!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:45 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am
Lenwood117 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am Where does everyone think we fit in regards to the rest of the patriot league (mostly army). Anything below the top 2 is a disappointment, but does Army lose a lot? Lehigh?
Army loses their entire senior class because service academies do not coincide with the extra 5th year the NCAA gave to spring athletes.

That being said for this year's army team- they are losing: Manown, Silva, Dewitt, O'Brien which I believe are their top offensive threats sans Nichtern.
Never count Army out though, they might not get the best recruits but they know how to be a consistent top team with a great defense every single year.

Lehigh's seniors who got playing time i believe this year were: Pettit, Kirst, Klose, Pierce, Gaffney.

Pettit is not returning and neither is Kirst I think. Gaffney i'm not too sure - but Lehigh loses a couple of good contributors but will remain their core for next year.

Loyola will be in the hunt like what Kramerica said with what we have coming back and basing it off of how we did in this shortened season.

DO not sleep on Holy Cross. They have been making great strides in the PL with their new coach
Preseason Rankings IMO 2021
Loyola
Lehigh
Navy
Bucknell
Army
BC
HC
Colgate
Laf
I'd put Navy at #2 solely on how strong their recruiting class is for 2020. They brought in two 5 stars and leapfrogged the top spot ahead of UMD, Duke, Hopkins and the big names. With Amplo as their new coach, i say they can be a preseason favorite to win it as well. I would move army to the 3/4 spot as well. Bucknell lost a lot due to graduation, and their 5th year impact guys transferred to another program for grad school.
That's giving the Navy freshmen a lot of credit, seeing as they haven't played a game yet--at this level. Not convinced Amplo is an upgrade from Sowell, either. I like the Hounds chances next and would love to see them make another deep run in the tourney. Hard to not root for that staff and
team--having a Hobart guy on staff is enough for me!
Hi Bart! Thanks for the reply! I tend to put stock into recruiting rankings but that's just personally me. Obviously rankings are not the end all be all, its the performance on the field that matters. I just think that Navy will surprise some teams whenever we get another season, that's all. They always play tough.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Whatever the lacrosse talent level of the Army and Navy teams- they will always be a tough out.
When you get 40+ like-minded athletes who are mission and purpose driven like these young men, they will always be tough to stop if they are rowing in unison.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Rayland Baxter? Caught him on a station out of my old haunting grounds, Macon, GA, and liked him enough to start asking question and finding more materials. Laxbro?! YES. Loyola: Yowzwers, this is getting good! Jerry's? Are you kidding!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaXCx6CftFs[/youtube]
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... sse/roster

hey everyone, so i'd like to officially announce here that the men's team updated the roster page for 2021. All the incoming freshmen received their numbers

#3 David Lindsey- A
#21 Luke Staudt - GK
#24 Seth Higgins - M
#26 Danny Scott - M
#31 Alex Bean - D
#36 Brett Daubert - M
#38 Dylan Binney - A
#39 Billy Safin - M
#46 Alex Kristian - D
#49 Max Mcgillicuddy - FO
#59 Gunnar Gheuvront - LSM
#77 Josh Fairey - D

Welcome to all 12 freshmen!

I would also like to announce that *drum roll please* 5 of the 9 seniors from 2020 is back for 2021. That's right- Swindell, Cox, Higgins, Railey, McNulty will all be getting graduate degrees from loyola and get to play one more year in the green and grey.

Johnson, Tabor, Devereaux and Boland all moved on from their college careers and we wish them the best of luck with their future endeavors!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thanks Houndace. Good to see Hounds have a number of returning starters and key players coming back. Fingers crossed we have a lacrosse season this year. Hope a myriad of options are on the table that will enable teams to play somehow (and not create health problems for players, coaches, staff, family members and fans). Be creative. Look forward to any insight you have on the new Frosh. 12 seems to be the number Toomey usually brings in, right?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm Thanks Houndace. Good to see Hounds have a number of returning starters and key players coming back. Fingers crossed we have a lacrosse season this year. Hope a myriad of options are on the table that will enable teams to play somehow (and not create health problems for players, coaches, staff, family members and fans). Be creative. Look forward to any insight you have on the new Frosh. 12 seems to be the number Toomey usually brings in, right?
With the seniors coming back, this team brings back a lot of key guys...looking at guys that started or have key roles, we return a lot...Swindell and Higgy coming back are HUGE in the middle of the field...

Attack - Three starters return - Lindley(skilled finisher), Olmstead (team leader, scorer), Kamish (great athlete, rising star, skilled ball carrier)

O Midfield - stockpile of guys - Swindell, Cox, Poitras...then guys like James, Heuston, Bateman, Wigley, Taylor...and maybe this is an area where one or two of the freshman make an impact like Lindsey or one of the other offensive rookies...TBD

D midfield - I love this group with Higgins coming back...then you have Millhouse and Rezanka...solid unit

Fogo - Savio and Pacheco...Savio is a stud

LSM - McNulty is elite...An All American / Middleton is really solid...this is a great unit...

Defense - Lots to choose from with lots of experience - Leblanc, Wyers, Hughes, Railey...others ready to emerge

Goalie - Shaffer and Colton, not to mention other talent in the pipeline

This team returns tons with lots of experience...and some really young guys that could be elite (see Kamish and Poitras)

Man I'm really excited about next year...our university and political and NCAA leaders better figure out a way to have a season...we can't cancel sports for a full year...just can't do it...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 pm
NovaHound wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm Thanks Houndace. Good to see Hounds have a number of returning starters and key players coming back. Fingers crossed we have a lacrosse season this year. Hope a myriad of options are on the table that will enable teams to play somehow (and not create health problems for players, coaches, staff, family members and fans). Be creative. Look forward to any insight you have on the new Frosh. 12 seems to be the number Toomey usually brings in, right?
With the seniors coming back, this team brings back a lot of key guys...looking at guys that started or have key roles, we return a lot...Swindell and Higgy coming back are HUGE in the middle of the field...

Attack - Three starters return - Lindley(skilled finisher), Olmstead (team leader, scorer), Kamish (great athlete, rising star, skilled ball carrier)

O Midfield - stockpile of guys - Swindell, Cox, Poitras...then guys like James, Heuston, Bateman, Wigley, Taylor...and maybe this is an area where one or two of the freshman make an impact like Lindsey or one of the other offensive rookies...TBD

D midfield - I love this group with Higgins coming back...then you have Millhouse and Rezanka...solid unit

LSM - McNulty is elite...An All American / Middleton is really solid...this is a great unit...

Defense - Lots to choose from with lots of experience - Leblanc, Wyers, Hughes, Railey...others ready to emerge

This team returns tons with lots of experience...and some really young guys that could be elite (see Kamish and Poitras)

Man I'm really excited about next year...our university and political and NCAA leaders better figure out a way to have a season...we can't cancel sports for a full year...just can't do it...
Look for two-three incoming freshman to actually either break into a role here, or outright start. Daubert, and Higgins look to emerge in the midfield. These two can reallly kick into another gear. Davis Lindsey will be a Day 1 starter. Either as a 4th attackmen, or they run him out the box. His change of direction and his side arm feeds is very very good
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

With all that fire power coming back and coming him, its clear everyone else in patriot league playing for second.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:33 pm

With all that fire power coming back and coming him, its clear everyone else in patriot league playing for second.
[
/quote]

Lenwood, army still has Loyola's number. Army was playing very well in the shortened season! You have a lot of your core coming back if i remember correctly
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:51 pm

[
/quote]

Lenwood, army still has Loyola's number. Army was playing very well in the shortened season! You have a lot of your core coming back if i remember correctly
Lost 4 of our starting offense.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Absolutely. "To be the man, you've got to beat the man." And Loyola is a proven, elite program that has been "the man" for many years now. So they always gets their opponent's "A" game. Expect the same in 2021.

The goals at Evergreen are always the same- League title, NCAA birth, Final Four Weekend and NCAA Championship.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 am

Look for two-three incoming freshman to actually either break into a role here, or outright start. Daubert, and Higgins look to emerge in the midfield. These two can reallly kick into another gear. Davis Lindsey will be a Day 1 starter. Either as a 4th attackmen, or they run him out the box. His change of direction and his side arm feeds is very very good
So if Lindsey is already considered a day one starter...who gets bumped? Kamish? Olmstead? Poitras? Someone else?

A few things to consider...all these freshman from last year essentially have 4 years of eligibility...so they're starting from scratch but with experience (Kamish and Poitras especially)...with the challenges of managing the roster next year, you might see a guy leave that you would regret leaving. Portal activity might be something to watch in the next 12 months here...especially with a guy that has proven he can play at the high D1 level already...

One other item of note in talking with some folks...with limited to almost no fall ball, incoming freshman this year will be way way behind normal freshman. If you talk to players about the transition to high D1 from high school...all of them, to a man say fall ball was a big wake up call in adjusting to the speed and intensity of the game...what worked in high school didn't work at the D1 level...point being, without a normal fall ball burn in, the freshman will be behind do to lack of reps and no fall ball games...just something to watch.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm

So if Lindsey is already considered a day one starter...who gets bumped? Kamish? Olmstead? Poitras? Someone else?

A few things to consider...all these freshman from last year essentially have 4 years of eligibility...so they're starting from scratch but with experience (Kamish and Poitras especially)...with the challenges of managing the roster next year, you might see a guy leave that you would regret leaving. Portal activity might be something to watch in the next 12 months here...especially with a guy that has proven he can play at the high D1 level already...

One other item of note in talking with some folks...with limited to almost no fall ball, incoming freshman this year will be way way behind normal freshman. If you talk to players about the transition to high D1 from high school...all of them, to a man say fall ball was a big wake up call in adjusting to the speed and intensity of the game...what worked in high school didn't work at the D1 level...point being, without a normal fall ball burn in, the freshman will be behind do to lack of reps and no fall ball games...just something to watch.
This is all a fair and valid point! I'm just very excited to see what he, and the other incoming freshmen this year could possibly contribute. I was just really amazed with what i saw on his highlight tape. I simply forgot to factor in that there will be limited to no fall ball. i'm hoping we can get sports in the spring.

As of now, the team currently has 51 members on its roster. Is that too big?

Possibly bump one of the upperclassmen if these guys usurp them in practice. who really knows? the team is very good already and it could upset team chemistry.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 pm

This is all a fair and valid point! I'm just very excited to see what he, and the other incoming freshmen this year could possibly contribute. I was just really amazed with what i saw on his highlight tape. I simply forgot to factor in that there will be limited to no fall ball. i'm hoping we can get sports in the spring.

Possibly bump one of the upperclassmen if these guys usurp them in practice. who really knows? the team is very good already and it could upset team chemistry.
Hey, I would always say that you expect between 2-4 kids in a class of 12 to make an impact...as freshman. That is a pretty safe rule...but you always need to factor into what's ahead of them in position already...high school film is great, and I'm not saying the kids won't be studs...not saying that at all...just that if he (Lindsey kid) is gonna start immediately, that's a strong statement considering what we already have at attack. Could he bump someone...sure...but that will be tough...especially with no fall ball...and frankly count me as a guy that thinks our attack could be really really good with Kamish, Olmstead, and Lindley...

No doubt the midfield is a spot you could see some shift...but having Peter back is huge...and takes up a spot...Poitras is very good...so again, it's gonna be tough to crack...not saying someone doesn't...competition is what drives success...we have a lot of depth...and a lot of young talent...I just think after Kamish scored two goals vs Duke, and with his ball carrying ability...he's gonna be a guy that's not looking to give up his spot...his trajectory was on it's way up...IMO

As far as the roster...50 is kind of the norm now...but that's big

Gonna be interesting
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:31 pm
houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 pm

Hey, I would always say that you expect between 2-4 kids in a class of 12 to make an impact...as freshman. That is a pretty safe rule...but you always need to factor into what's ahead of them in position already...high school film is great, and I'm not saying the kids won't be studs...not saying that at all...just that if he (Lindsey kid) is gonna start immediately, that's a strong statement considering what we already have at attack. Could he bump someone...sure...but that will be tough...especially with no fall ball...and frankly count me as a guy that thinks our attack could be really really good with Kamish, Olmstead, and Lindley...

No doubt the midfield is a spot you could see some shift...but having Peter back is huge...and takes up a spot...Poitras is very good...so again, it's gonna be tough to crack...not saying someone doesn't...competition is what drives success...we have a lot of depth...and a lot of young talent...I just think after Kamish scored two goals vs Duke, and with his ball carrying ability...he's gonna be a guy that's not looking to give up his spot...his trajectory was on it's way up...IMO

As far as the roster...50 is kind of the norm now...but that's big

Gonna be interesting
The unit did start to click better as the season went on, especially between Kamish and Lindley. I was thinking maybe Lindsey could possibly get runs at middie, but who knows! I'm optimistic about the team for 2021 i just really want a season to occur like the rest of us on this thread :D
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Really good input from all. It appears that there is a tremendous amount of depth at most, if not all, positions. I see many quality players on the O Middle line - Swindell and Poitras to name two. And I'm hopeful that Wiggley finds his shot again. He can grind for you. The other guys you mention are also all solid. I'll throw this out, have also heard that Middies Seay and Decker, two transfers in from last year, spent a tremendous amount of time at the RAC after practice doing a lot of extra work to improve their game. So I'll be interested into what this translates into. Will all of this depth translate into more competitive practice that benefit all?? I mean the Hounds may "turn it up to "11" during practice to increase their chances of gaining that coveted playing time.

One also has to figure that there might be some injuries or players missing some games due to injury. Toomey may have the luxury of saying "next man up" and not miss a beat. That's what I'm hopeful for if injuries do happen.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a season and if we do have one I believe these Hounds will be very competitive. Right now I'd say that Duke, UVA, Cuse, and UMD/UNC may be a tad better - on paper. Not sold on any Ivy League teams in top 8 due to the departure of some outstanding players like Sowers and TD, but that could change I do believe Hounds belong in Top 8. Georgetown may surprise some folks.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”