Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Re: Hopkins and Loyola, an article in IL today says Big Ten play could start on Feb. 20. Just piecing together that info with Loyola's reported game against UVA on Feb. 13, and it seems unlikely to me Hop and Loyola will find a date to play unless it's even earlier than Feb. 13 (Feb. 6??) or is played as a midweek game at some point after both teams have started their conference schedules. If the Big Ten schedule starts Feb. 20 and is 10 games per team as IL speculates then that doesn't allow for any open weeks that can be filled by non-con games. So it would seem for Big Ten teams hoping to play out of the conference, they'd have to do so before Feb. 20 or take on a midweek game, which many coaches are loath to do.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm Re: Hopkins and Loyola, an article in IL today says Big Ten play could start on Feb. 20. Just piecing together that info with Loyola's reported game against UVA on Feb. 13, and it seems unlikely to me Hop and Loyola will find a date to play unless it's even earlier than Feb. 13 (Feb. 6??) or is played as a midweek game at some point after both teams have started their conference schedules. If the Big Ten schedule starts Feb. 20 and is 10 games per team as IL speculates then that doesn't allow for any open weeks that can be filled by non-con games. So it would seem for Big Ten teams hoping to play out of the conference, they'd have to do so before Feb. 20 or take on a midweek game, which many coaches are loath to do.
16, do you know any other news about Hopkins? i haven't kept up with the Hop thread lately but i'd at least hope there is a game somewhere in the schedule for the two programs.

10 games for big ten in the round robin for each team. I would have to assume Hopkins plays a team in its close proximity to campus like Towson or Loyola whether they both be midweek games, or very very early february contests before the start of supposed Big 10 play
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm Re: Hopkins and Loyola, an article in IL today says Big Ten play could start on Feb. 20. Just piecing together that info with Loyola's reported game against UVA on Feb. 13, and it seems unlikely to me Hop and Loyola will find a date to play unless it's even earlier than Feb. 13 (Feb. 6??) or is played as a midweek game at some point after both teams have started their conference schedules. If the Big Ten schedule starts Feb. 20 and is 10 games per team as IL speculates then that doesn't allow for any open weeks that can be filled by non-con games. So it would seem for Big Ten teams hoping to play out of the conference, they'd have to do so before Feb. 20 or take on a midweek game, which many coaches are loath to do.
It's also rumored Loyola will scrimmage on the 6th...just a rumor with an opening date with UVA on the 13th...so what your seeing / reading / hearing is in line with the little info on the street as it relates to schedules...

The Big Ten info is spot on from what I'm being told...Feb 20 start, 10 games, and the big ten teams CAN schedule other OOC games earlier or mid week...which they will try to do...and they're having a conference tourney...all 6 teams are in this year (from what I'm hearing)...while we all know this pandemic can cause issues with scheduling and starts and stops...the B1G is very committed to a season and seems well prepared to deal with this odd year...they want their kids/teams getting at least 11 games...

As far as Loyola v Hop...I hope they figure it out...even if it's mid week here in this odd year...I've got no more news than others, but it's starting to look clear that Loyola will get at least it's 7 reg season PL games, and OOC games vs UVA, Towson, and Gtown...that makes 10...and I'd guess they figure out how to schedule Hop and maybe 1 other game...but who knows...that's just my educated guess...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I’m hearing news that there’s a supposed non-conference game on february 20th

Could be big 10 or CAA
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Evening everyone,

Today is a very important day, becauseeeeeeee

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... loyola-men

Ta-DA! USLAX came out with their preview of the mens team today.

Here's the entire write up:

"There weren’t many silver linings to take out of 2020, though there are some exceptions.

Take Loyola’s offense, which was reminded at nearly every turn how Tewaaraton winner Pat Spencer was no longer spearheading the Greyhounds’ attack. The likes of Kevin Lindley and Aidan Olmstead were back, but in expanded roles, and there were questions about who would make up the midfield.

Charley Toomey’s team more than acquitted itself against an early schedule that included Duke, Johns Hopkins, Rutgers and Virginia, averaging 11.5 goals over six games. It was the latest benefit of Toomey’s nonconference scheduling philosophy, but it also demonstrated the Greyhounds should be in good shape moving forward.

“When you open and you’re still able to play at a level you’re hopeful of against Hopkins and Rutgers — and having that learning curve in game one of, ‘Who’s going to carry the ball? What’s it going to look like? Are we going to be able to run by a matchup and create shot opportunities?’” Toomey said. “We were able to learn an awful lot from the schedule that we play.”

Olmstead, it turns out, is perfectly capable of quarterbacking the offense after effectively occupying a secondary role for two seasons. Lindley, the owner of a 60-goal season in 2019, showed the ability to dodge and develop into a guy who could create his own shot.

The next step for the Greyhounds? Seeing how far players who began blossoming last season will fare with some extra experience. That included midfielder Peter Swindell (nine goals, seven assists), who is back for his fifth year.

Plenty of attention will also go to sophomores Adam Poitras (five goals, seven assists) and Joey Kamish (eight goals, three assists), who both produced in their first college seasons.

“Joey Kamish is a stretch shooter that when you’re looking across, you were wondering who were the guys who could shoot from outside 10 yards and have a green light,” Toomey said. “Well, he’s certainly one of those guys. We’re hopeful there might be a couple other guys who develop.”

Some of them are familiar names — Liam Bateman, Matt Houston and Riley Seay, who all played regularly a year ago. Perhaps a Jack Decker, who got into two games after transferring from Marist, or freshman Davis Lindsey, who had 68 goals and 56 assists as a high school junior in North Carolina in 2019.

But for Loyola to jump from simply contending in the Patriot League to being a threat again to win a game (or more) in the NCAA tournament, it will need a few more steady complements to its two proven seniors to emerge.

If last season is any indication, it will probably happen.

“I’m pretty sure somebody’s going to step up and be that next guy for us,” Toomey said. “We need the knowns to be known. We need Kamish and Poitras to be guys we can rely on, along with [Lindley and Olmstead].”

TOP RETURNERS

Aidan Olmstead, A, Sr.

The Greyhounds’ table-setter on offense, Olmstead had 11 goals and 11 assists in just a half-dozen games last season. He’s recorded a point in all but three of his 38 career games.

Sam Shafer, G, Jr.

After starting his career as a backup to Jacob Stover, Shafer deftly slid into a starting role and posted a 57.1 save percentage in a six-game stretch that included two ACC opponents and two Big Ten foes.

Cam Wyers, D, Jr.

A couple years ago, Loyola fielded a young close defense — with Wyers quickly establishing himself as a vital piece. Now, he’s a tested, All-American caliber veteran leading an older group. “We really feel good that between he, Kyle LeBlanc, Matt Hughes and John Railey, we’ve got some guys that can show up on game day and win matchups,” Toomey said.

KEY ADDITION
Seth Higgins, M, Fr.

He’s hardly the only potential impact freshman, but was one of only two (along with long pole Gunnar Cheuvront) who practiced with the Greyhounds in the fall. Higgins had 38 goals and 15 assists for Baltimore’s St. Paul’s School in 2019.

ENEMY LINES
“So well-coached, so well-prepared. I’m always amazed at how far along they are with their team [early in the season] with their clears and their rides. They crush it. It’ll be interesting to see what they’re like having dealt with COVID and having only half their team in practice. There’s some good individuals there. The new No. 7 (Lindley) is floating around scoring every time he touches the ball and No. 19 (Olmstead) is back there feeding everybody. Without Pat Spencer and (Jacob) Stover there, it’s more of the system, and boy they have really good systems. Marc Van Arsdale, he will pick apart what we’re doing defensively and put his guys in the best position possible.”

“They were off to a good start having had to replace a lot of people, which becomes a little scary. They were off to a good start and they replaced one of the best attackmen in the last 20 years and a first team All-American goalie (Stover). Now they have everybody coming back with a good freshman class. I expect them to be amongst the elite again in the country.”

“They’re going to have a team that’s very similar to last year. They didn’t lose much. They’re a pretty young team. They’re getting used to life without Pat Spencer, and I feel like last year when you watched them play, you saw a lot of guys who were doing a little more. They’re very well-coached. They have good talent throughout their roster, so I think they’re going to be great and at the top of the league.”

“They have one of the best coaching staffs. Charley and coach Van and Matty Dwan, those guys are awesome coaches and they will be prepared.”

NUMBERS GAME

Senior attackman Kevin Lindley has 116 career goals, which ranks sixth in Loyola history despite the abbreviated 2020 season. Lindley, who had 19 goals in six games last spring, needs 35 more goals to match Gary Hanley for the school record."

On every preview, i noticed the enemy lines section usually only included a brief quote, maybe 1 paragraph..

this has 3, and a lot of opposing coaches speak highly of the team. If there is a schedule coming out soon, PLEASE hurry! we all miss the team and the games.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Towson posted their schedule and we have a date of March 27th of the two schools playing.

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

2/6 Scrimmage against Richmond
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:07 pm Towson posted their schedule and we have a date of March 27th of the two schools playing.

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

I’m feeling very pessimistic about our game now that it’s official that Hop/Towson is not happening. Charles Street Massacre/Rivalry is probably my second favorite Hopkins rivalry, and I will seriously miss playing you guys this year if it is the case.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

jhu08 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:09 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:07 pm Towson posted their schedule and we have a date of March 27th of the two schools playing.

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

I’m feeling very pessimistic about our game now that it’s official that Hop/Towson is not happening. Charles Street Massacre/Rivalry is probably my second favorite Hopkins rivalry, and I will seriously miss playing you guys this year if it is the case.
Have faith sir! Loyola-hopkins is a big game in my family household so i'll be holding onto any hope the schools could possibly play, until its confirmed whenever the team's release their schedule.

Until then, i'll be praying for a game between the two.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:23 pm
jhu08 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Have faith sir! Loyola-hopkins is a big game in my family household so i'll be holding onto any hope the schools could possibly play, until its confirmed whenever the team's release their schedule.

Until then, i'll be praying for a game between the two.
It seems incredibly unlikely. There have been like 20 schedules posted so far and none of them include games against Big Ten teams. I suppose some could have spots reserved for "soft," unofficial dates with those teams pending testing capacity, but that's wishful thinking. We'll see the Charles Street rivalry resume in 2022.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Heard Utah 2/27
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:20 pm

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Heard Utah 2/27
Utah???? they're coming here or Loyola going there??

I assumed that date would be Rutgers but i guess it wont be the case because of Big 10 protocols
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm Utah???? they're coming here or Loyola going there??
I'm assuming in B'more. Utah has put the word out that they'll fly anywhere.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Heard Utah 2/27

I assumed that date would be Rutgers but i guess it wont be the case because of Big 10 protocols
Utah at Loyola...no Rutgers this year

Probably no Hopkins

Yes on Towson as noted above and probably yes on Georgetown as well...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 pm

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Heard Utah 2/27

Probably no Hopkins

okay so no Hopkins, no rutgers. The replacements would be Utah... and Duke? perhaps
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 am
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 pm

Games confirmed so far-

2/13- UVA
3/27 - Towson

Heard Utah 2/27

Probably no Hopkins

okay so no Hopkins, no rutgers. The replacements would be Utah... and Duke? perhaps
Replacing Utah with Hopkins is a push. Both of those teams had 1 goal games with Mount St Mary's last year.
Duke is likely a schedule upgrade over Rutgers.
Good for Loyola to get two quality programs on the schedule in a trying year.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Hounds will play Utah at Ridley. Georgetown is set for 01 May. I'm hearing Albany is a possibility at Ridley too. But that all depends on how scheduling works out with Hopkins and UVA. Of course Toomey wants to play both but as it stands now there is uncertainty scheduling Hopkins.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Has anyone else heard that the first game might be Albany? I have heard that team was in the scheduling mix... 2 weeks until the team hits the field for a scrimmage. Just have to make sure Hounds have 28 players ready to play. Apparently that is the magic number.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 am Has anyone else heard that the first game might be Albany? I have heard that team was in the scheduling mix... 2 weeks until the team hits the field for a scrimmage. Just have to make sure Hounds have 28 players ready to play. Apparently that is the magic number.
I have heard that Albany is potentially in the mix...but nothing confirmed.

I think putting the puzzle pieces together, you get non conference games of - Utah, Towson, UVA, Georgetown as locks (as much as you can have a lock in this crazy year)...that's 4 OOC games...That final OOC game is the question mark and how to shift the schedule to make it work potentially with Hop...but knowing Hop seems unlikely, that is how/when Albany seems to have come into play...of course trying to get 5 OOC games on the schedule....

Then you have the 7 Patriot League games and the PL Tourney....

Hopefully we can get in the games, stay away from positive tests...which will be hard. Kids will do everything right, stay mostly bubbled up, and will still potentially draw a positive test...even if they are feeling great...it's just always gonna be a possibility...

But on the bright side, we have to be excited about this team and the possibility of getting in some games this year...we return a lot of guys, our entire starting attacks unit, tons of options at the midfield, and a really good back end and special teams....fingers crossed that we get some lacrosse this year...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 am Has anyone else heard that the first game might be Albany? I have heard that team was in the scheduling mix... 2 weeks until the team hits the field for a scrimmage. Just have to make sure Hounds have 28 players ready to play. Apparently that is the magic number.
Isn’t 28 the max number of players allowed to dress/travel during ncaa tourney play? Or am I just Making that up in my hollow head?
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:55 pm
Isn’t 28 the max number of players allowed to dress/travel during ncaa tourney play? Or am I just Making that up in my hollow head?
It's all good. The 28 man minimum is for COVID protocols, not NCAA's, unless I am badly mistaken about NCAA player rosters. Team will also take two buses to away games. No fans allowed at Ridley and TBD if/when Maryland and then Baltimore County ok fans. The bellweather on this is fans being allowed to attend Orioles games at Camden Yards. Guess my next question will be is when does baseball season start?? Other factor for fans is whether or not Pennsylvania allows fans to attend games - several away games in that state.

Hounds are doing all of the right things to stay in their bubble and this will also include parents abiding by the rules. Players are self policing and this also falls in line with overall Loyola student policy and COVID guidelines. Hear that practices are spirited and hard as team works itself into shape.

It's been a long time since players played full field. They don't get to do that until 04 Feb and first scrimmage is 06 Feb. Doesn't matter, most teams have been in same boat. Hounds will be ready but play may be a little sloppy during first few games. I don't care. Please just be able to play and be smart and safe about all of this. And make sure you have 28 players ready to go. I don't care if you're on crutches or or in a cast, be ready to warm up. :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”