Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bananas

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by bananas »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm
bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am How long of a grace period does JHU fanbase afford Millman ? Program with talent , not a corporation with major issues for a new ceo. Potential for quick recovery but some downplaying . Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
Inconceivable that Milliman's leash is as short as a year. This is not SEC football.
Agree with that . I should have been clearer. Was not talking about job security but length of honeymoon period with fanbase. Talent is there to be in games with all but sense that some are tempering expectations and that he gets a mulligan this year. Was trying to gauge . Recent posts painted reasonable scenarios for JHU and B10 though Ill be disappointed if RU is mid pack as my expectations for them are higher than most.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 pm I continue to believe that a lot of the awfulness at SSDM was system related. Glassmyer is a guy who I think can actually be quite good.
To an extent I think this has some merit—too often those guys were left on an island. You have to be able to slide to support your shorties without blowing up the entire integrity of the defense. The last few years it's always seemed like the shorties are either getting roasted without any slide help, or the slide help comes too early and aggressive and leaves someone else wide open. I'm very certain Petro was aware of this and did what he could to fix it but there was clearly a gap between planning and game-day execution.

The flip side to that is the size and athleticism combo at the position has just been sorely lacking the last few years. We've had some decently big strong guys, but they couldn't run. We've had some really quick guys, but they'd get demolished by stronger, physical middies. To really succeed at SSDM you ideally need to have some combo of both unless one of your traits or your lax IQ is so elite that it can mask any athletic deficiencies. I agree that Glassmeyer has some potential, and I'm curious to see if he has made any strides over the offseason.

There are, in theory, some interesting SSDM candidates in the freshman class. Arteaga has good size, speed, and athleticism, but is pretty raw as a player based on what I've seen. Ince is almost the opposite—a bona fide, proven SSDM in one of the toughest high school conferences in the country but also undersized, at least on paper. Brett Martin, who is blazing fast, might also be an option, though I heard he's improved his offensive game, and might be better suited for offensive middie. (Similar story for Ryan Evans—Joe Cowan's grandson.)

Also, who knows, it's entirely possible Milliman pulls a reverse Kuhn and turns one of the poles into a shortie. In fact I'd half expect that to happen, given the glut of unproven poles on the roster and the clear need for some more SSDM depth. If I were an end-of-bench pole with no path to playing time on this roster I'd pick up a shorter stick and do whatever it took to crack that rotation.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am How long of a grace period does JHU fanbase afford Millman ? Program with talent , not a corporation with major issues for a new ceo. Potential for quick recovery but some downplaying . Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
500 or better this year
ncaa tournament win next year
perennial final 4 caliber program by year 4
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Inconceivable that Milliman's leash is as short as a year. This is not SEC football.
Agree with that . I should have been clearer. Was not talking about job security but length of honeymoon period with fanbase. Talent is there to be in games with all but sense that some are tempering expectations and that he gets a mulligan this year. Was trying to gauge . Recent posts painted reasonable scenarios for JHU and B10 though Ill be disappointed if RU is mid pack as my expectations for them are higher than most.
Got it. I think there are too many unkowns and too many oddities about this particular season to make too much of the W-L record. Not only having the realities of COVID butting up against a new staff/ new style of play/ etc, but this is also a year that some teams (Duke, Maryland, etc) have been able to assemble PLL-like rosters (I mean Sowers and Adler at Duke? Are you kidding me?). I'm looking more at energy, playing style, and competitiveness rather than W-L.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jays are back, start of a new era:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7841983488

I'm digging the striped helmets.

Hopefully a schedule soon
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:30 pm Jays are back, start of a new era:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7841983488

I'm digging the striped helmets.

Hopefully a schedule soon
This is good stuff! They have it up on their instagram as well. Love seeing this!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Is Hopkins on Parler?

(ducks)
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I am very hopeful for the upcoming season.

Support for the JHU program? There was a "limited" window opened to support the JHU program (maybe a week). 330 plus lacrosse alumni made financial contributions. Not bad. The new coaches and the current players are supported and backed. Nobody is second-guessing them.

The video posted here? If it doesn't make you anxious for the season to begin, then you are not a JHU or lacrosse fan. It made me laugh in a good way. As it says in the video, "We are back" and "We want more". :)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

school announced busboys and poets is coming to charles village-great spot. I know the pjs building is becoming a swank hotel, is there going to be no college dive bar around campus now?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Anything left in Remington? Igor's was great back in the day, and because they weren't in CV, they didn't really card. Maybe Hop students should make the trek south to the Club Chuck or MR Tavern (assuming they don't get killed on the way).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I didn't even realize there's a Towson Hot Bagels in CV now as well. The food options near campus are already so much better today than they were when I was there not all that long ago. St. Paul St with all those new complexes and shops is a lot more attractive. And there seems to be tons more higher end off-campus apartments.

Maxie's was a decent non-PJ's spot and a go-to destination for Loyola coeds when I was there but that closed last year. The owner was a complete psychopath but I had some good times there. Is CVP (Charles Village Pub) still around? Not a bad place either and it was always fun to see the Hopkins students attempting to interact with the strange CV locals.

I've yet to go to the pizza joint that replaced PJ's but I've heard the food is good and they serve alcohol, so how bad could it possibly be. At the very least it probably smells better in there now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 am I didn't even realize there's a Towson Hot Bagels in CV now as well. The food options near campus are already so much better today than they were when I was there not all that long ago. St. Paul St with all those new complexes and shops is a lot more attractive. And there seems to be tons more higher end off-campus apartments.

Maxie's was a decent non-PJ's spot and a go-to destination for Loyola coeds when I was there but that closed last year. The owner was a complete psychopath but I had some good times there. Is CVP (Charles Village Pub) still around? Not a bad place either and it was always fun to see the Hopkins students attempting to interact with the strange CV locals.

I've yet to go to the pizza joint that replaced PJ's but I've heard the food is good and they serve alcohol, so how bad could it possibly be. At the very least it probably smells better in there now.
Brody spent a lot of time on this. It drove him nuts that we weren't getting the faculty and number of kids applying or accepting because they told recruiters and admissions counselors that charles village was run down.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 30?slide=2

IL lists Hopkins as one of five bounce back teams who will turn things around from a "slow" start in 2020.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

They also say they understand why someone could think Hopkins does not belong on the list

So what's the true state of the Hopkins midfield?
That's by far the biggest questionmark of the offensive side of the ball
19 Names on the roster with "Midfield" next to their name (counting the 3 with Attack/Midfield on the roster)
4 Seniors (Junior eligibles) - Baskin/DeSimone/DiPietro/Keogh
4 Juniors (Sophomore eligibles) - Hawley/Mabbett/Zinn/Degnon
3 Sophomores (Freshmen eligibles) - Krampf/Brunner/Handsor
8 Freshmen - Ladrido/Martin/Raposo/Ince/Arteaga/Evans/Peshko/Tallino

In addition you may want to find time for Angelus/McDermott/Bauer - using a hypothetical Epstein/Williams and Grimes as your attack mainstay

I guess Ince is actually slated - under Petro's plan - for defensive mdifield - somewhat ironic and worrisome to the degree he may be no bigger than Danny Jones and I am sorry 5'9" 155 lbs is too small at the collegiate D1 level but that's a story for another day.

So the first observation - of course - is that an approximate number of 20 people for 6 constant spots and maybe a couple of put another guy in there for switch 'em up runs once or twice a half - is ridiculous - and that metronome like sound you hear must be Milliman hitting his head on the desk

So offensive experience for Hopkins is clearly limited to Baskin/DeSimone/Keogh/Zinn/Degnon and Angelus if you think midfield is the place he will be - - Half of those are 5'9" and under - 4 of those are converted attackmen and a 5th (Degnon) has played some hybrid attack/midfield last year for Hopkins.

I think for Hopkins to have some success this year - an obviously with a new coaching staff and limited practice this is wishful thinking - the following probably has to happen:
- Zinn has to improve his shooting percentage and decision making (Zero ground balls in 6 games?)
- Degnon - the lone pleasant surprise of 2020 - needs to continue - a 1.8 gpg clip at 38% shooting will likely not run at that pace but it has to be something
- Keogh - people forget - because he has been injury prone - that Keogh could play - of course that was at attack - but he led Long Island in assists as a junior at Manhasset and he was named All County by the coaches as a senior despite the fact he didn't play - word on the street was he was poised for some bigger things in 2020 before wrecking his knee - and he is probably well over 15-16 months post injury - A stronger more confident Keogh might work well in Junior's schemes
-Setting aside Baskin and DeSimone for the moment - looking at the remaining names from the Senior/Junior and Sophomore list - I think it is fair to say that offensive stats from DiPietro/Hawley/Mabbett/Krampf/Brunner or Handsor would be a significant surprise to many - therefore I think some freshmen are going to have to play and play well
- Baskin - 19 goals in last 22 games - I think it is again fair to say many of those goals have come from X where he is either guarded by a SSDM or maybe a defensmen he has a quickness advantage - doesn't turn the ball over a ton - 9 gbs in 6 games last year is a good stat - he is not anything close to being a midfielder however and in actuality stronger/quicker SSDMs can push him off his spot rather effectively - his shooting percentage went from almost 40 in '19 to 26 in the aborted '20 games
- DeSimone - Ahhh Here We Go as Homer would say - probably should sue Petro for malfeasance or something like that - as one of the country's top incoming X attackmen was turned into a mid-fielder - played well as a freshman when the team had some weapons in '18 - but then was likely encouraged to gain weight to deal with the pounding of being the #1 guy and was running around with nothing but converted attackmen and the midfield production plummeted and his confidence certainly appeared to be in the dumpster. It will be very interesting IMO - to see what this staff does with Connor. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if DeSimone had been allowed to run the offense and Epstein was asked to play the wing - something he could do fairly effectively at Landon - and put Marr to shoot from the mid-field for '18. I've posted this before but here's what Hopkins had coming in as a freshman and I would love someone to explain how putting this kid at midfield to alley dodge and then getting to somewhere near 195-200 lbs was a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNT5VtqE9k0
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Good analysis 51, too long to quote but I will my thoughts on a couple things in no particular order:

- I actually wouldn't mind them experimenting with putting DeSimone back on "attack." I don't think you want to move Epstein from X—he is just too good there, basically unguardable when healthy—but DeSo could float around GLE/the right wing and do some slashing from there, see his dodge-to-goal against Towson last year. He'd still likely see a fair amount of shorties. If you put him at attack however then not only is someone like Angelus bumped out but then you've got to pick between Grimes and Williams for the other side. (They may have to do that anyway.) We know Grimes CAN play midfield and dodge from up top but in a Milliman/Junior offense I suspect they're going to want that kid just glued to that left wing for hands-free 8-yard rips and transition shots. Like when Epstein was coming in we can consider all the possible variations and schemes but at the end of the day he may just prove to be too talented to ever warrant leave the field.

- Agree completely about the need for this freshman class of middies to step up. If the team is going to have any success moving forward at least a couple of those guys need to produce. It's maybe the most athletic group of middies we've had in awhile. There is some size, speed, and agility in that group.

- If Keogh can stay healthy he's going to be a factor

- When I watch McDermott's tape the first comparison that comes to mind is Tom Schreiber—obviously that's high praise and I'm not saying he'll ever be as good but stylistically they are similar. McDermott can 100% play midfield in college as sort of a second QB up top. He's an unreal passer

There are pieces here that give the offense the potential to be very, very interesting under this new regime...defense is another question entirely and I suspect will depend less on existing talent and more on coaching/development.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 am They also say they understand why someone could think Hopkins does not belong on the list

So what's the true state of the Hopkins midfield?
That's by far the biggest questionmark of the offensive side of the ball
19 Names on the roster with "Midfield" next to their name (counting the 3 with Attack/Midfield on the roster)
4 Seniors (Junior eligibles) - Baskin/DeSimone/DiPietro/Keogh
4 Juniors (Sophomore eligibles) - Hawley/Mabbett/Zinn/Degnon
3 Sophomores (Freshmen eligibles) - Krampf/Brunner/Handsor
8 Freshmen - Ladrido/Martin/Raposo/Ince/Arteaga/Evans/Peshko/Tallino

In addition you may want to find time for Angelus/McDermott/Bauer - using a hypothetical Epstein/Williams and Grimes as your attack mainstay

I guess Ince is actually slated - under Petro's plan - for defensive mdifield - somewhat ironic and worrisome to the degree he may be no bigger than Danny Jones and I am sorry 5'9" 155 lbs is too small at the collegiate D1 level but that's a story for another day.

So the first observation - of course - is that an approximate number of 20 people for 6 constant spots and maybe a couple of put another guy in there for switch 'em up runs once or twice a half - is ridiculous - and that metronome like sound you hear must be Milliman hitting his head on the desk

So offensive experience for Hopkins is clearly limited to Baskin/DeSimone/Keogh/Zinn/Degnon and Angelus if you think midfield is the place he will be - - Half of those are 5'9" and under - 4 of those are converted attackmen and a 5th (Degnon) has played some hybrid attack/midfield last year for Hopkins.

I think for Hopkins to have some success this year - an obviously with a new coaching staff and limited practice this is wishful thinking - the following probably has to happen:
- Zinn has to improve his shooting percentage and decision making (Zero ground balls in 6 games?)
- Degnon - the lone pleasant surprise of 2020 - needs to continue - a 1.8 gpg clip at 38% shooting will likely not run at that pace but it has to be something
- Keogh - people forget - because he has been injury prone - that Keogh could play - of course that was at attack - but he led Long Island in assists as a junior at Manhasset and he was named All County by the coaches as a senior despite the fact he didn't play - word on the street was he was poised for some bigger things in 2020 before wrecking his knee - and he is probably well over 15-16 months post injury - A stronger more confident Keogh might work well in Junior's schemes
-Setting aside Baskin and DeSimone for the moment - looking at the remaining names from the Senior/Junior and Sophomore list - I think it is fair to say that offensive stats from DiPietro/Hawley/Mabbett/Krampf/Brunner or Handsor would be a significant surprise to many - therefore I think some freshmen are going to have to play and play well
- Baskin - 19 goals in last 22 games - I think it is again fair to say many of those goals have come from X where he is either guarded by a SSDM or maybe a defensmen he has a quickness advantage - doesn't turn the ball over a ton - 9 gbs in 6 games last year is a good stat - he is not anything close to being a midfielder however and in actuality stronger/quicker SSDMs can push him off his spot rather effectively - his shooting percentage went from almost 40 in '19 to 26 in the aborted '20 games
- DeSimone - Ahhh Here We Go as Homer would say - probably should sue Petro for malfeasance or something like that - as one of the country's top incoming X attackmen was turned into a mid-fielder - played well as a freshman when the team had some weapons in '18 - but then was likely encouraged to gain weight to deal with the pounding of being the #1 guy and was running around with nothing but converted attackmen and the midfield production plummeted and his confidence certainly appeared to be in the dumpster. It will be very interesting IMO - to see what this staff does with Connor. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if DeSimone had been allowed to run the offense and Epstein was asked to play the wing - something he could do fairly effectively at Landon - and put Marr to shoot from the mid-field for '18. I've posted this before but here's what Hopkins had coming in as a freshman and I would love someone to explain how putting this kid at midfield to alley dodge and then getting to somewhere near 195-200 lbs was a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNT5VtqE9k0
Good post. Watching Deso in HS is like watching a completely different person. Just hope that his confidence can come back. If so, he should be a good fit with this offense, which (if Cornell is any indication) will be more about ball movement and motion.At a minimum, Deso will be thrilled that he won't be asked to pointlessly carry the ball for 30 seconds a possession, only to give it up to Epstein or Zinn with 10 seconds left on the shotclock.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Understand RU and JHU will be playing home and aways. One poll has teams closely ranked toward bottom of top twenty .I do believe that both teams are improved but will only speak of RU ranking , think it should be higher relative to field and that they can make tourney . JHU thread is the most active read so gonna lightly ponder matchup with your team without any trash.

Attack, initially thought push because RU attack is a very good unit but gave slight edge to JHU due to Epstein. Remember him scoring 5 agaisnt us in 19". RU would appear to have a huge advantage at MF as they now field one of the best first lines with Kirst and also have greater depth. Think RU also has the advantage at ssdm. Defense has been consider average for both , initially gave edge to RU but say push since there are new faces ,new d coordinators and likely a new JHU goalie . Fogo and G are advantages for Hop which can negate advantages elsewhere. Looking forward to the games. Should be exciting and competitive games .Good luck on season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

^Seems fair...if they play twice my money would be on the teams splitting the two games.

Alumni email from Milliman today:

- everyone is on campus and they're in the second week of small group practice
- schedule is not finalized, might include a few non-conference opponents but as expected it is a majority Big Ten schedule, more details expected late Jan/early Feb
- very likely no fans allowed at games but left the door open for that policy to change at some point during the season
- every game will either be broadcast or live streamed
- raised $18k from alums in most recent campaign
- reiterated he expects to compete for a national championship each season
mocking jay

Post by mocking jay »

DeSimone was a midfielder in HS but was moved to attack his senior year. His natural position is midfield though he had a great senior year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:52 pm ^Seems fair...if they play twice my money would be on the teams splitting the two games.

Alumni email from Milliman today:

- everyone is on campus and they're in the second week of small group practice
- schedule is not finalized, might include a few non-conference opponents but as expected it is a majority Big Ten schedule, more details expected late Jan/early Feb
- very likely no fans allowed at games but left the door open for that policy to change at some point during the season
- every game will either be broadcast or live streamed
- raised $18k from alums in most recent campaign
- reiterated he expects to compete for a national championship each season
if we were still an independent what would the schedule/season look like and how would this have been different?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”