Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

that would make sense given his relationship with US Lax . . .
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 pm that would make sense given his relationship with US Lax . . .
And the fact he recruited Grimes to Ohio State, so he probably thinks very highly of him.

Glad that piece confirmed what I've been hearing which is that Epstein is fully healthy again. Fingers crossed he stays that way this year—and for the rest of his time at Homewood.

Offensive optimism is warranted, but that story makes no mention whatsoever of the defense, apart from acknowledging the Kirson transfer. Coach K has his work cut out for him, but there are guys on the roster who came into college with some upside. I would expect to see Szuluk out there somewhere. Not a lot of experience, but more than most on the roster, and he was hand-picked by the new staff.

Whatever happens it is just nice to be talking about lacrosse again. Hopefully that is not immediately ruined by a fattylax appearance or more uninformed complaints about career development programs.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 am US Lax magazine has their preview on the Jays up. Primarily focused on Epstein and his injury/recovery. Conclusion from another coach is probably the most interesting part:

“They’re a bit of a wild card, right? They didn’t come to campus this fall. Milliman is going to inject a bunch of energy into that program. The talent is there. You get the young man back through there, Joey Epstein, and you add in a Brendan Grimes, who will be the best freshman in the conference. Add that with Cole Williams and I just think, offensively, they’re loaded.”
the 5 names we know. isn't the purpose of a reporter to tell us things we don't know via reporting and sources. "Based on what Milliman did at cornell, the kind of defense I saw jameson run, and these kids we recruited I expect x y z you don't know much about but will soon break through at the ssdm position and look out for abc".

59 kids (I'm sure admissions was thrilled), 33 underclassmen who've never played a b1g match, 6 transfers, 1 sr who has never played college lacrosse, 1 pandemic, 0 fall practices, 0 days on campus, 1 new staff, 1 legendary staff to replace. quite a story.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm the 5 names we know. isn't the purpose of a reporter to tell us things we don't know via reporting and sources. "Based on what Milliman did at cornell, the kind of defense I saw jameson run, and these kids we recruited I expect x y z you don't know much about but will soon break through at the ssdm position and look out for abc".
Getting those answers is virtually impossible because A) there was no fall ball to watch this year and B) lacrosse coaches are notoriously resistant to giving away information of that kind even when they know the answers. He's not gonna tell US Lax Mag who he's starting at SSDM. We might care in this thread but the general lax population very likely does not. They want to know about Epstein's injury and the new staff, both of which this limited preview at least addresses.

People in this thread have more intimate knowledge of the team than most (not all) reporters do. If you'd pay attention instead of complaining about the career center then you might have noticed the many posts over the last several months that discuss players you should probably look out for. But even that, given the nonexistence of fall ball, is mostly just guesswork, albeit fairly informed guesswork.

FYI, the team is on campus and practice starts this week.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:47 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm the 5 names we know. isn't the purpose of a reporter to tell us things we don't know via reporting and sources. "Based on what Milliman did at cornell, the kind of defense I saw jameson run, and these kids we recruited I expect x y z you don't know much about but will soon break through at the ssdm position and look out for abc".
Getting those answers is virtually impossible because A) there was no fall ball to watch this year and B) lacrosse coaches are notoriously resistant to giving away information of that kind even when they know the answers. He's not gonna tell US Lax Mag who he's starting at SSDM. We might care in this thread but the general lax population very likely does not. They want to know about Epstein's injury and the new staff, both of which this limited preview at least addresses.

People in this thread have more intimate knowledge of the team than most (not all) reporters do. If you'd pay attention instead of complaining about the career center then you might have noticed the many posts over the last several months that discuss players you should probably look out for. But even that, given the nonexistence of fall ball, is mostly just guesswork, albeit fairly informed guesswork.

FYI, the team is on campus and practice starts this week.
where did you read there was no fall ball?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:41 pm where did you read there was no fall ball?
I'm sorry but what are you talking about? Haven't you been leading the charge about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor and the need for the team and the school to figure out how to come together and practice? Haven't we been watching screenshots of zoom calls and instagram posts of 10 players shooting on a net because they had nothing else they could do? If you need to read something how about this here is a snippet from the US Lax magazine article

"Milliman, who in accordance with the school’s COVID-19 protocol did not coach a single team workout in the fall, is eager to see his 59-man roster drilling and scrimmaging on the practice field."

So if that post was supposed to be sarcastic or humorous - it was lost on me.

I am sure when they run into each other it is cordial but when Milliman sees an NFL roster size come out on the practice field - he mut ask himeslf what the hell Petro was thinking
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Jamie Munro interviewed Bobby Benson on his podcast phi-lacrosse-ophy recently. I think Benson is teaming up with Munro on one of the products that Munro offers.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.ncsasports.org/best-college ... e-colleges

Princeton lacrosse retweeted this study. I don't know much about it. Contra to the whole Hopkins is financially accessible because of bloomberg now and no one wanted to play for Hopkins anymore, we were one of the most expensive schools after aid and the 2nd most popular-tied w/penn state and just after duke for prospective recruits.

again I don't know much about it, but princeton jumped all over the study.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well if you click on any of the schools NCSA 'pages" - you don't see much. Hopkins' page is out of date too. It does not identify the BIG10 conference affiiliation and it still lists a conference affiliation for the now defunct womn's ALC. The tuition figures are a year or two old as well - Hop is north of $55 K now not 53. SO any impact of MB's philanthropy is probably not in the ledger yet. Yeah - Princeton would jump - they're #1. Mildly interesting - the column labled NCSA favorites? You get numbers in that column by visiting the team page on that website and clicking on add to favorites - Duke Hopkins Maryland appear to be 1/2/3 in that category.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Heard that we're down to three goalies: Kirson, Darby, and Marcille.

Remember when people here were freaking out that there would be 6 on the roster?

I believe that Schreiber may have also bid the program adieu, so that would put us at 57 total. Hey, that's fewer than a lot of teams this year.
laxrat55

Post by laxrat55 »

I'm new to the forums and really excited to see what JHU can bring to the table now that Tony Soprano is out as the head coach.
He/Him/His
CW Post 91'
Long Island vs. the world
laxrat55

Post by laxrat55 »

I'm new to the forums and really excited to see what JHU can bring to the table now that Tony Soprano is out as the head coach.
He/Him/His
CW Post 91'
cornfed44

Post by cornfed44 »

laxrat55 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 am I'm new to the forums and really excited to see what JHU can bring to the table now that Tony Soprano is out as the head coach.
Hearing Tony has moved onto a bigger and better option at a NESCAC School up in Maine
laxrat55

Post by laxrat55 »

I heard he is bringing in a young GA christopher moltisanti to be the director of operations.
He/Him/His
CW Post 91'
bananas

Post by bananas »

How long of a grace period does JHU fanbase afford Millman ? Program with talent , not a corporation with major issues for a new ceo. Potential for quick recovery but some downplaying . Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
Define "underachieves." They didn't have a fall and he is just now meeting many of the players face-to-face for the first time. Expectations need to adjust accordingly. I'll be happy if they just finish the season. We can start talking seriously about goals in 2022-2023 after he's had an actual offseason and starts getting some of his recruits in the door.

Listened to the latest IL podcast with Quint—he had a few things to say about the Jays:

- really likes the staff Milliman put together
- liked what he saw from Szuluk at Lafayette, expects him to start
- thinks a solid season will be finishing 4th in the Big Ten (Terry Foy is much higher on the Jays than Quint)
- not impressed by the midfield, particularly the shorties—again, not surprising
bananas

Post by bananas »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am
bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
Define "underachieves." They didn't have a fall and he is just now meeting many of the players face-to-face for the first time. Expectations need to adjust accordingly. I'll be happy if they just finish the season. We can start talking seriously about goals in 2022-2023 after he's had an actual offseason and starts getting some of his recruits in the door.

Listened to the latest IL podcast with Quint—he had a few things to say about the Jays:

- really likes the staff Milliman put together
- liked what he saw from Szuluk at Lafayette, expects him to start
- thinks a solid season will be finishing 4th in the Big Ten (Terry Foy is much higher on the Jays than Quint)
- not impressed by the midfield, particularly the shorties—again, not surprising
Much is disjointed at present for many .Dont know specifics of jhu schedule but record below .500 might be considered underachieving though better measure might be competitiveness and clear progress regardless of whether they finish 3rd , 4th or 5th. Talent at most spots. Epstein being back to full health is huge plus and goaltending and defense should be improved. I expect jhu to be more competitive
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:01 am Heard that we're down to three goalies: Kirson, Darby, and Marcille.

Remember when people here were freaking out that there would be 6 on the roster?

I believe that Schreiber may have also bid the program adieu, so that would put us at 57 total. Hey, that's fewer than a lot of teams this year.
Yes Giacalone and Schreiber are no longer on the roster - the thinning of the herd has started - 6 goalies would have been absurd but at the same time the two names behind Kirson leave a huge questionmark at that position - one has never played and is 5'7" the other is 5'9" and has a career Save Percentage hovering around 45%. Assuming you can keep Kirson around for his two years of eligibility than in 2023 you are theoretically looking at Marcille (senior but junior eligible), Sgt. Friday (sophomore) and the Hill goalie as a freshman - this would seem to be the position of concern for the next couple years - especially if Kirson gets hurt or gets a job/sick of school after this year.

I think '16 is right once again - no one should be thinking titles or tournaments this year. If they make the NCAA tournament somehow - Milliman is probably in the running for COY. The schedule - again assuming a 2 x each BIG Opponent and 2 OOC - is going to be brutal. Not that Hopkins was playing at a level to consider very many programs to be edibles - but that schedule (assuming something like a Loyola and Towson are the OOCs) would have zero cupcakes. The assessment should be more qualitative - do they look better at the end of the year? are they playing hard? are they starting to get what the coaches are selling?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I tend to expect around a .500 record, probably slightly above depending on the non-conference schedule. The Terps are obviously the favorite in the conference and a top 5 team nationally. Figure PSU will be very good (top 8-12 nationally, I don't think they're a top 5 type team anymore without Ament, but I could be wrong on that). I'm not sure all that much separates OSU, Hop and Rutgers (who are all top 12 - 20 kinds of teams in my eyes). Michigan isn't very far behind and one of these years is going to see some conference success. The early part of the season will likely be rough (new staff, no fall ball, limited practice, etc), but I think they'll finish strong.

There's talent on this roster and I'm certain they'll be some guys who make us say, huh, wonder why Petro never played him? I also firmly believe that a new D system will bring out more in the guys. It's not really much of an exaggeration to say that we really can't be much worse defensively than we've been. I continue to believe that a lot of the awfulness at SSDM was system related. Glassmyer is a guy who I think can actually be quite good.

So, so, very happy that they're practicing and that (fingers crossed, knock on wood) that we're going to have a season.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

bananas wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am How long of a grace period does JHU fanbase afford Millman ? Program with talent , not a corporation with major issues for a new ceo. Potential for quick recovery but some downplaying . Does Millman get a mulligan this year if team underachieves?
Inconceivable that Milliman's leash is as short as a year. This is not SEC football.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”