D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Geez, how many cats?
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Re: Dwan and Benson--Joe Cowan hired Dwan and Benson doesn't need a job.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm I keep seeing other schools running practices on Twitter. Are Hopkins lax players still not allowed to practice or use the locker room and field?
They are not allowed to use Homewood facilities or officially practice as a team, but some are still in Baltimore working out together. Milliman has been in Baltimore for awhile now (Koesterer too of course), and I believe Junior moved in last week. It's obviously no one's idea of an ideal situation but it is what it is. Far from the only program without an official fall ball but expectations for the winter/spring need to be tempered given the circumstances. Last I heard the goal was still to bring everyone back officially in January.
Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pmI am having trouble finding the Ernie interview that was mentioned on Monday does anyone have the link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIQngxRphA
Men's lacrosse section is from about 1hr19 to 1hr49
Spoiler alert: Cole's hair is returning
After 2-6 and getting their coach fired, veterans should've organized a return to campus, training and playing effort for the fall/spring. They know their rivals at other schools are out there and for many of them next spring is their last season anyway. They already get preferred admission and in many cases $. This was a gut check about pride and leadership.
Man, and I was thinking that I've been in my home for the last 6 months for a reason! Should just been organizing a return to my campus and regular life like there's nothing going on!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hopfan wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 pm Re: Dwan and Benson--Joe Cowan hired Dwan and Benson doesn't need a job.
That’s great news for Dwan. He’s a great guy.

I’ve always thought Benson might coach for McDonogh in some role eventually.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:41 am
Hopfan wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 pm Re: Dwan and Benson--Joe Cowan hired Dwan and Benson doesn't need a job.

What about volunteer coach, HOF er Larry Quin ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
viper

Post by viper »

Used to chat with Dwan all the time when I ran into him at recruiting tournaments. He really is a great guy. Not many coaches are really social at tournaments. We used to chat about a lot of things, except my son who was not a Ty 4-5 star candidate!! LOL
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Dom Petro is headed to UNC with his brother. That's better for us than PSU or Cuse I guess. Wish them both the best and hope they have awesome careers, except when they face the Blue Jays.

Dwan's kid should be committing soon as well. Wouldn't be too shocked to see him end up at Chapel Hill either.

Benson definitely deserves another D1 offensive coordinator gig if a suitable one opens up in the next year or two. Still relatively young, has a championship under his belt. A lot of you complained about his offenses but the efficiency numbers speak for themselves. They were rarely bad (except for this past season), and often, they were quite good (many years of top 15 in a row). I had my quibbles but he would be a quality hire for a lot of programs.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:08 pm Dom Petro is headed to UNC with his brother. That's better for us than PSU or Cuse I guess. Wish them both the best and hope they have awesome careers, except when they face the Blue Jays.

Dwan's kid should be committing soon as well. Wouldn't be too shocked to see him end up at Chapel Hill either.

Benson definitely deserves another D1 offensive coordinator gig if a suitable one opens up in the next year or two. Still relatively young, has a championship under his belt. A lot of you complained about his offenses but the efficiency numbers speak for themselves. They were rarely bad (except for this past season), and often, they were quite good (many years of top 15 in a row). I had my quibbles but he would be a quality hire for a lot of programs.
I heard Bobby was stuffing his face with Lemon Pepper wings at Magic City. Something about following his wife’s career to the south.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

He has his day job.

https://www.tydingslaw.com/directory/at ... ce-j-quinn

Did not previously know that Benson’s wife is a Director at BlackRock. Is their home 15,000 square feet, or did they choose something more practical, like 10,000 square feet?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

He has his day job.

https://www.tydingslaw.com/directory/at ... ce-j-quinn

Did not previously know that Benson’s wife is a Director at BlackRock. Is their home 15,000 square feet, or did they choose something more practical, like 10,000 square feet?

DocBarrister
I’m guessing the 15,000 square feet home. That company has served my retirement plans very well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If you can ignore the typos this is a decent piece about Junior coming to Homewood. Quotes from Epstein, Williams, and Quint Kessenich, who, I'm sure you were all dying to know, approves of the hire.

https://majorleaguelacrosse.com/news/20 ... pkins.aspx
“I was surprised when I heard [about the hire],” said Hopkins alum and ESPN broadcaster Quint Kessnich, who has been calling MLL games since 2001. “I felt that it was a refreshing hire from outside the pool of typical candidates. I liked it.”

“What I’ve seen from him at the professional level and at Air Force as a coach is the willingness to share ideas, to listen to players, to discuss, to assess their abilities and then try to put them in a position to have success,” Kessnich said. “He’s inquisitive, he’s always looking for new ideas, he’s always watching other games and trying to see what works and what doesn’t work.”

“I think the fact that he really loves lacrosse is a good fit for Hopkins,” said Kessnich. “Because he’s going to be around people that take lacrosse seriously and they care about it. I think he’s going to be energized because of that.”
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:23 am If you can ignore the typos this is a decent piece about Junior coming to Homewood. Quotes from Epstein, Williams, and Quint Kessenich, who, I'm sure you were all dying to know, approves of the hire.

https://majorleaguelacrosse.com/news/20 ... pkins.aspx
“I was surprised when I heard [about the hire],” said Hopkins alum and ESPN broadcaster Quint Kessnich, who has been calling MLL games since 2001. “I felt that it was a refreshing hire from outside the pool of typical candidates. I liked it.”

“What I’ve seen from him at the professional level and at Air Force as a coach is the willingness to share ideas, to listen to players, to discuss, to assess their abilities and then try to put them in a position to have success,” Kessnich said. “He’s inquisitive, he’s always looking for new ideas, he’s always watching other games and trying to see what works and what doesn’t work.”

“I think the fact that he really loves lacrosse is a good fit for Hopkins,” said Kessnich. “Because he’s going to be around people that take lacrosse seriously and they care about it. I think he’s going to be energized because of that.”
I was shocked they let Dwan and Benson go.
I mean, it was obvious we needed a new DOLO, what with the 2-4 record, but Dwan and Benson?
I was equally surprised that they didn't instantly get picked up to coach at a top college program. I would have thought they would have gotten scooped up right away. Maybe the pandemic played a role.

I really hope Junior and Coach K work out!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:04 pm
I was shocked they let Dwan and Benson go.
I mean, it was obvious we needed a new DOLO, what with the 2-4 record, but Dwan and Benson?
I was equally surprised that they didn't instantly get picked up to coach at a top college program. I would have thought they would have gotten scooped up right away. Maybe the pandemic played a role.

I really hope Junior and Coach K work out!
Without facial expressions, vocal intonations, it's hard to tell... but this must be dead-pan humor.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:49 pm After 2-6 and getting their coach fired, veterans should've organized a return to campus, training and playing effort for the fall/spring. They know their rivals at other schools are out there and for many of them next spring is their last season anyway. They already get preferred admission and in many cases $. This was a gut check about pride and leadership.
LOL. This is the exact type of comment that gives our fan base such a bad reputation.

200,000 people in this country have died. Not everyone's priority is to have a regular fall ball program in the middle of a pandemic. Players are training in small groups and meeting with the coaches every day on Zoom.

Also how do you know veteran players haven't tried doing the exact thing you demand? You don't actually know anyone associated with the program. For all you know they have organized team sessions in Baltimore. But forcing a non-Baltimore kid, especially an underclassman, to relocate under these circumstances for the express purpose of...having fall ball? That isn't leadership. That's lunacy.

Have you informed Kyle Harrison that you named him Ron Daniels' assistant yet?
How many college athletes have died, exactly?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I'm not taking the bait on Harrison as WOMBAT said, we're staying out of the political world, but if you need help understanding why he'd be a good fit for the university, that role and the moment we're in you need a refresher and I don't think you do.

-you're right I don't hang out with 18-22 year old boys.

-I don't know jr and I love Millimans story overcoming adversity but with whom they're replacing every bit of gravitas, experience, credentials helps.

-I posted in one of the other forums that ohio state is facing a 105 million dollar athletic department loss because of corona and its affect on football. I'm not smart enough to know the difference between the lacrosse budget hits facing the 7 schools we play (b1g/acc) with major football, the towsons/navies that maybe don't have the flush kinds of major tv deals and then the princetons, loyolas and our guys that are not reliant on that kind of revenue.

-Expecting in the next few weeks those of you on the inside of the athletic department to get some sort of outline of what the school is thinking on reopening campus and if we're going to potentially have a season. I'm expecting no on both fronts, but you never know.

-Petro never released a formal schedule until december if memory serves and I'm sure if we get a season that won't be finalized for awhile. But was curious what changes or flexibility PM might have added.

-hard for dwan/benson to find new roles in the game right now. Would imagine when games start, budgets reopen and we see attrition we'll see them back with whistles on sidelines.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm -I'm not taking the bait on Harrison as WOMBAT said, we're staying out of the political world, but if you need help understanding why he'd be a good fit for the university, that role and the moment we're in you need a refresher and I don't think you do.
You've been railing against the university's push for diversity and inclusion for years, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't think your suggestion that "Kyle Harrison be made Ron Daniels' assistant" was made in good faith.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:26 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm -I'm not taking the bait on Harrison as WOMBAT said, we're staying out of the political world, but if you need help understanding why he'd be a good fit for the university, that role and the moment we're in you need a refresher and I don't think you do.
You've been railing against the university's push for diversity and inclusion for years, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't think your suggestion that "Kyle Harrison be made Ron Daniels' assistant" was made in good faith.
I'm not against diversity and inclusion in fact I'd love to see the school diversify the student body by including more high school cheerleaders to its class next year and broadening the dance offerings. campus of 5,000 feels like we should have more than 10 cheerleaders at games.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:26 pm
I'm not against diversity and inclusion in fact I'd love to see the school diversify the student body by including more high school cheerleaders to its class next year and broadening the dance offerings. campus of 5,000 feels like we should have more than 10 cheerleaders at games.
And a MARCHING Band.

And THE CANNON.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Billy Dwan the younger to Syracuse. While the staff turnover was absolutely necessary, we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors on the recruiting front with the timing.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I can’t see a scenario where it would have been a good thing to have anyone named Pietramala or Dwan on the team. Conversation would always stretch back to their parents for four more years. For the new staff, you don’t need that distraction. You need to close that chapter and move on. That’s unfortunate, but if I were Millman, I wouldn’t want that as a potentially weekly conversation topic.

I’m sure they are great young men. But, this is another aspect of Hopkins Legacy admissions just not working out anymore.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”