IVY League Tournament headed to Hofstra?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyc_laxdad

Re: IVY League Tournament headed to Hofstra?

Post by nyc_laxdad »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am
wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:40 pm ... What's been the headcount at IVY tournaments in the past?
For the two years the ILT was hosted by Columbia U, attendance was somewhat under 3,000 a day, roughly 2,750. Before that, I believe the headcount was well below that when the tourney was hosted by regular-season champ.
Don't know about the year before but the weather was terrible last year for the Ivy Championship at Columbia. That for sure effected attendance. I think Columbia is a good spot for the championship, one day hopefully Columbia can field a varsity men's team and having the Ivy tournament in NYC is a great way to help grow the game in the city.
nyc_laxdad

Post by nyc_laxdad »

notentitled wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 am You can tailgate, but better places exist like the Yale Bowl, Shoelkopf, Palmer/Princeton Stadium, etc. Long Island Traffic is terrible, but for parents of players from the Island, it is good. For parents coming to town, Hempstead is not exactly a tourist destination.
As a LIer who grew up down the road from Hofstra - I wouldn't want to spend too much time in that area if I was an out of towner. Not much to do, limited lodging, traffic, etc. They have been talking for years of some kind of new development by the Coliseum but nothings happened. Why don't they rotate the tournament around the different Ivy schools?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

My impression was that the Columbia location drew hard core fans, and those with both connections and a lot of cash.

The Hofstra location might be more high energy, since three or four Ivy teams might be in the top twenty. My guess is that attendence might increase.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Having it out in the Island should bring a lot of local fans, especially youth players. However, it will isolate out many from MD, NJ, mid-upstate NY, and NE states. The drive and the traffic will result in many league fans choosing not to go. After the (failed?) Columbia experiment, the league seems to be still searching. The answer should be for the Regular Season Champ to be rewarded by once again hosting the Tourney.
Lux et veritas
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

They don't think there is enough time between when the reg season winner is determined and when the ILT starts, and fans can't make plans. Flights, hotels, whatever.

Previous year's ILT champ should be host. Easy.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Or, as nyc_laxdad suggests, rotate it among all conference schools that have men's lacrosse, like the Big 10 does... Hofstra seems like a bizarre and bad choice.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”