Site Admin

Re: Utah 2020

Post by admin »

Carson Moyer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Utah's game vs. FURMAN on Feb. 22 will be televised on the Pac12 Network.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Snowbird. Utah.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Utah doing yoga after practice. I dunno. Utah seems to be, in a good way, a unique program.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Utah took on Providence in a scrimmage this past Saturday. Utah dominated the 1st Quarter and partway into the 2nd Period was leading 8-1. Providence closed the gap and the score at half was 9-5. The 3rd Q both teams came out with their starters, though Utah changed goalies. The Utah goalie was on fire, turning away 6 of the 7 shots he faced. Final was 14-7. The Utes offense could be explosive this season, they are deep on that side of the field. Josh Stout on the Utes is the real deal and I heard he lit it up against the Friars.

The D might be the question mark going into the season, but apparently a few of the guys who were freshmen last year really looked strong on Saturday. After watching this team play several times last year, and in my opinion, I thought their starting goalie was ok and the Sr on the roster who transferred in from St John's had the edge on him. My assumption is they were looking ahead and giving him D1 experience since he still has a few years left with the program. They had some strong LSM's last season who are still on the roster, poles were ok.

My friends son is on the team and I'm looking forward to seeing them play this season.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

fastgame wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 amJosh Stout on the Utes is the real deal and I heard he lit it up against the Friars.
and I believe that he's only a Junior.
Caddy Day
COMMISH

Post by COMMISH »

Does Utah have a conference affiliation, or are they independent for now?
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Independent
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
calourie

Post by calourie »

Interesting to see Fairfield transfer Colin Burke with 6 points leading the Utes in their 16-10 opening game win over Bellarmine. Burke was regarded along with Ben Reeves by IL as one of the next superstars in the college game early in his career.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Yes Burke did put on a show after a year layoff. I was fortunate to see this young man play numerous times while he was at Fairfield. Solid player with excellent field vision.

But what I thought was even better, Bellarmine is coached by one of his former coaches at Fairfield, Andy Whitley. I do follow Fairfield, and felt that they needed a coaching change, and was extremely happy to see it made. I saw Whitley's comments he made after getting torched in his head coaching debut:

Whitley said the Knights can take away some positives from today's game. "That's just part of the learning process with an inexperienced team, he said. "We have to put ourselves in a 50,000-seat stadium against a quality opponent and make plays under pressure. We will learn from this and be better for it."

The Knights will have another chance to prove themselves next week. "We have another quality opponent in Marquette next Saturday," Whitley said, "and I expect to more comfortable executing in adverse situations as a result of today's experience."

He has an inexperienced team? His roster breakdown is 10 frosh, 9 Soph, 12 Jr's, 9 Sr's and one Graduate player, so 22 upper classmen. Utah's roster has a total of 8 Jr's and Sr's (a few redshirts (approx. 3-4 players) from when they were a club team are sophomores). Bellarmine has been a D1 Lax program since 2005, Utah is in it's 2nd year. Also I'm not sure what playing in a near empty 50,000 seat stadium has to do with the way a team plays? Then Whitley goes on to say:

"We have another quality opponent in Marquette next Saturday, and I expect to more comfortable executing in adverse situations as a result of today's experience."

I guess Andy when you don't have the home field advantage it's considered an adverse situation,....you really said this? I honestly hope the players on Bellarmine have a good year and that his influence on them is much better than it was on the guys at Fairfield.

I'm planning on attending the Utah/Lehigh game this Saturday. Streamed the Utah game this past Saturday and think they could be up for the task offensively, still not sure how their D will stack up against the Mountain Hawks.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m looking to see what happened to Jake Cantlon.
I’ve been tracking this kid for three years.
Had a productive 1st year and thought this was a good fit, a large Canadian lefty.
Not listed on the roster.
Did he head back north ?
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

What I heard is he left the team and the school. I agree, he did look good, had tremendous upside.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

I did attend the game on Saturday. Though the final score might not indicate it, the Utes matched up pretty well against Lehigh. You could tell by the Lehigh sidelines they were surprised, not expecting this type of game. The Utes played a very physical game and caused 17 turnovers. Lehigh was hitting pretty hard themselves, I saw about 4 of their broken sticks coming off the field. The young man Schelling for Lehigh was excellent, lighting it up with 7 goals and 2 assists. I thought the Utes D was a step behind at times, they need to tighten it up a little on that end. I was impressed with goalie play on both teams, solid efforts.

Utah basically did themselves in, providing the Hawks with 7 man up opportunities and Lehigh cashing in on 5 of them. Lehigh took no time in scoring these goals, maybe for the 5, less than 2 minutes. Burke on Utah had an decent game with 5 points, but was holding onto the ball too long at times, turned it over several times, and took some questionable shots. Just trying to do too much on his own. Utah has a few freshman that really stood out, but in particular, #15 Costin a Middie has a cannon of a shot.

The biggest difference I saw from last years Utes to this team is their overall athleticism. Another test coming their way on Saturday with a home game against Air Force who will be out to revenge last years upset loss. Lehigh will have their hands full on Saturday in Charlottesville.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

The Utes will turn some heads this year. Very athletic and if they clean some things up they'll have some success.
I saw that unfortunate hit on Sexton late in the game by his teammate and it didn't look good. Hope he's able to return- they'll need him going forward.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

I agree completely with you about the Utes, and in my opinion, they may be a top 30 team.

I was very surprised to see Sexton go back in after the trainer examined him. That was a hard hit, and was concerned it was a serious knee injury. He's an excellent player.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

fastgame wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:10 pm I agree completely with you about the Utes, and in my opinion, they may be a top 30 team.

I was very surprised to see Sexton go back in after the trainer examined him. That was a hard hit, and was concerned it was a serious knee injury. He's an excellent player.
Awesome I didn’t see him come back in- that’s good news. For some reason it always hurts more when you get hit by your own teammate.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

The Utah-UMass game for Saturday has been moved from Farmingdale College on Long Island to Amherst. Apparently no fans allowed. But with the IVY just closing down their season, in my opinion, this will have a domino effect and may potentially end the regular Lax season for all.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Here's an update on game. I apologize for saying the game would be played this Saturday (it's original date), it's been moved to this Friday:

https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/3/ ... ation.aspx

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”