US Lacrosse U15 and U17 Teams

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

US Lacrosse U15 and U17 Teams

Post by xxxxxxx »

Wondering what the followers here think about this? Super uber select U15 and U17 teams for US Lacrosse, who want the game to be played 7 v 7 at the International level?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... osse/55199
youthathletics

Re: US Lacrosse U15 and U17 Teams

Post by youthathletics »

Small sided games have always been a benefactor in more touches and players development...I like it. It may very well be the lacrosse version of academy soccer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

I like this topic but propose it gets moved to the "High School" thread... but not too concerned about it.

Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I've done limited research/reading, so am looking forward to other posters input. My understanding is that US Lax just launched the U15 and U17 programs this year and have labeled them more as National Team Development Program (NTDP) models. Not exactly like USA Hockey, which is serious business, but at least taking some steps toward it, which I like. This currently seems to me more of a tryout all star team that will get together for some practices and then play in a showcase? Again, still like the effort and movement forward for development!

Regarding the 7v7 format, for the youth level (i.e. below U12) I think it definitely has benefit for the points mentioned (more touches, etc). However I also feel, that unless the overall game at the high school and college level change, it gets detrimental to only focus on this at the youth level. Going back to USA hockey, the ADM model gets beaten to death and IMO, those that follow it to a "T" are hurting the kids in not starting to teach them the complete game at an early age.

Anyhow, back to lacrosse. Looking forward to watching the progress of both the U15 and U17 teams. Was interesting to see the diversity in geography on the U17 team.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Under Redfern’s leadership, World Lacrosse is undergoing significant growth and change, including an increased emphasis on membership support and development, the introduction of new international disciplines for lacrosse, the recruitment of a full-time professional staff, and the introduction of a new name and brand framework. In November 2018, World Lacrosse achieved a significant milestone when the International Olympic Committee granted Provisional Recognition to the international federation.
Don't like it, and I've got a name for your new international discipline, Suzie, call it Lafaux. See no need to bastardize the game, I see it as pretty damn fine just the way it is. So you're gonna have 6v6 or 7v7 playing against pretty much nothing but shorties, then they're going to meet Mr. Long Pole when they play a real game of lacrosse. Let me know how that works out for ya.
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 am
Under Redfern’s leadership, World Lacrosse is undergoing significant growth and change, including an increased emphasis on membership support and development, the introduction of new international disciplines for lacrosse, the recruitment of a full-time professional staff, and the introduction of a new name and brand framework. In November 2018, World Lacrosse achieved a significant milestone when the International Olympic Committee granted Provisional Recognition to the international federation.
Don't like it, and I've got a name for your new international discipline, Suzie, call it Lafaux. See no need to bastardize the game, I see it as pretty damn fine just the way it is. So you're gonna have 6v6 or 7v7 playing against pretty much nothing but shorties, then they're going to meet Mr. Long Pole when they play a real game of lacrosse. Let me know how that works out for ya.
Agree. Just play the real version of the game. The small-sided format makes sense in areas where that's the best you can get in terms of numbers of players for the time being, however the goal should still be to grow towards eventual standard format. Even on the international stage, if your country of tens of thousands and in many cases millions of people can't put together a team of at least 10 players, maybe it wasn't meant to be. I think it is a reasonable expectation for most countries to be able to do so, though.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

How long before Paul Rabil is named National Director of Coaching for the US Development Program?

And the PLL clubs will form “club teams” across the country....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:06 am How long before Paul Rabil is named National Director of Coaching for the US Development Program?

And the PLL clubs will form “club teams” across the country....
The Pop Warner of lacrosse...could be.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

A lot of money to be made. Clubs raking it in in soccer. Rabil is following a soccer model in many ways. This won’t surprise me if it happens. It’s logical. I thought about that about 6 years ago. Wondered why we didn’t see that kind of structure, including YNT, for lacrosse. It’s not as systematic but it’s still early.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

PeteStreet wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:41 am
DMac wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 am
Agree. Just play the real version of the game. The small-sided format makes sense in areas where that's the best you can get in terms of numbers of players for the time being, however the goal should still be to grow towards eventual standard format. Even on the international stage, if your country of tens of thousands and in many cases millions of people can't put together a team of at least 10 players, maybe it wasn't meant to be. I think it is a reasonable expectation for most countries to be able to do so, though.
Absolutely no need to change the field size, team size or game length for the Olympics. Soccer didn't change a thing - the game played in the Olympics is exactly the same game played around the world in the top leagues. They have 11 on the field and it hasn't prevented every country from fielding a team.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I have yet to see US Lacrosse do anything worth while.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Had two kids play 7 v 7 fairly often. Seemed to be mostly used as a “filler” in the Fall between major tournaments. Always had trouble getting elite players to play 7 v 7 as they got older. They seemed to want to go to a showcase between major tournaments instead. 7 v 7 also seemed to be marketed as the best way to show off your skills but I never, ever saw a talent evaluator there. Certainly would pick a normal sized team/game over a 7 v 7 event if given the chance.

Ultimately, I see two conflicting forces in my mind (A) stick in the hand time (Good) (B) Spending yet more money

Thoughts/observations on 7 v 7:

Good for goalies. See lots of shots. Usually an emphasis on goalie starting the fast break which I like.

D-poles: lots of chances to practice in space man-to-man defense. As with goalies, heavy emphasis on fast breaks so d-pole stick skills are developed. Correct sliding practice is hit or miss. Lots of man-to-man events, some two man drills, and limited full offense plays. I have seen many 7 v 7 games have the less talented team start playing a version of a defensive zone after they get beaten repeatedly in space. This was not by design or even called for by the coach. You can see this in 10 v 10 too but not as often.

LSM: either the forgotten player if they don’t have stick skills or lots of playing time as a two way long pole if they have good stick skills.

SSDM: See LSM

Offensive middies: lots of running, lots of touches, as with D-poles but on the other side, lots of chances to practice in space man-to-man offense or two man drills. Good conditioning. I think 7 v 7 best serves offensive middies.

Attack: maybe a bit of a downer as my experience has been middies drive the offense in 7 v 7. Attack takes advantages of improper slides on breaks and unsettled situations. Obviously, you can run the offense through them but 7 v 7 has more fast breaks (thus more middie play) then 10 v 10.
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

HooDat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am I have yet to see US Lacrosse do anything worth while.
Serious question: Is the player insurance they provide even a good deal? That’s about the only worth while thing I could possibly see. All their stick/gear grants seemed to targeted at areas other than my area, and although I can’t say I keep up with the success rates of these programs, I’d think giving a boost to a lower middle class area would be more effective than trying to pour resources into inner city areas to develop lacrosse. I understand the latter makes everyone feel better about where money is going but I am skeptical that their target demographics for these grants are the best for growth of the sport.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:35 pm I like this topic but propose it gets moved to the "High School" thread... but not too concerned about it.

Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I've done limited research/reading, so am looking forward to other posters input. My understanding is that US Lax just launched the U15 and U17 programs this year and have labeled them more as National Team Development Program (NTDP) models. Not exactly like USA Hockey, which is serious business, but at least taking some steps toward it, which I like. This currently seems to me more of a tryout all star team that will get together for some practices and then play in a showcase? Again, still like the effort and movement forward for development!

Regarding the 7v7 format, for the youth level (i.e. below U12) I think it definitely has benefit for the points mentioned (more touches, etc). However I also feel, that unless the overall game at the high school and college level change, it gets detrimental to only focus on this at the youth level. Going back to USA hockey, the ADM model gets beaten to death and IMO, those that follow it to a "T" are hurting the kids in not starting to teach them the complete game at an early age.

Anyhow, back to lacrosse. Looking forward to watching the progress of both the U15 and U17 teams. Was interesting to see the diversity in geography on the U17 team.
Can kids from Eastern Massachusettes "tryout" for these teams. MBYLL, which oddly enough, is advertising on local sports radio, left US lacrosse a few years ago. Will these kids be punished? Doubt it, they can afford to do this nonsense. Even the ones that will move into the Weston Wopper.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

PeteStreet wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 am
HooDat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am I have yet to see US Lacrosse do anything worth while.
Serious question: Is the player insurance they provide even a good deal? That’s about the only worth while thing I could possibly see. All their stick/gear grants seemed to targeted at areas other than my area, and although I can’t say I keep up with the success rates of these programs, I’d think giving a boost to a lower middle class area would be more effective than trying to pour resources into inner city areas to develop lacrosse. I understand the latter makes everyone feel better about where money is going but I am skeptical that their target demographics for these grants are the best for growth of the sport.
I don't know. I think it's a pretty good deal for USL. I have never ever heard of anyone ever making a claim OR getting a benefit from USL. But I've only been around lax in MD for 40 years. The benefits I've heard of them providing are useful things like grants to provide the training to coaches. Of course USL require and mandate those certs in order to play in some leagues and tournaments.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Here's an example of USL helping establish lacrosse where it wouldn't have happened otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKQ0yrgNZ8
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

And the USL hq was built in a location that made it easy for USL to do more good.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm And the USL hq was built in a location that made it easy for USL to do more good.
Isn't it the same location and field that Millon shot his excellent video on 15 years back? :arrow: :arrow:
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”