Off-Topic- Will PLL Make It Big And Draw Great Crowds For Years?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
palaxoff

Re: Off-Topic- Will PLL Make It Big And Draw Great Crowds For Years?

Post by palaxoff »

I'd like to see it succeed, but I am on the fence whether it has the fan base to. The article while positive seems to gloss over the real numbers.

Is exceeding 10,000 to probably less then 30,000 subscribers a huge number or they had 420,000 viewers for a game across multiple platforms vs 600,000 in 2005 on one.

I think next year is the real test when the New Car Smell is gone. The novelty and gizmos are common.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Off to a good start but the real test will be how many of those household name brands renew sponsorship contracts. Did they get their expected return on their investment, even if good will?
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

I love lacrosse but its just never going to be a big time pro sport. MLL was a failure an PPL will not grow to be anywhere close to the NHL etc This isnt a slam on the sport its just the way it is !! Enjoy lacrosse for what it is not for what you want it to be
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

MLL is in its 19th year, not sure how that is classified as a "failure". Financially the MLL doesn't appear to be making any money, and plenty of teams have disbanded; however, 19 years is nothing to sneeze at--heck, the new football league folded mid-season and they had REAL TV coverage!!

As someone else pointed out, the Pro season has to be played in the spring...granted several guys play in the NLL and the seasons would conflict a bit..oh well. Players can decide if they want to play NLL or PLL/MLL. Pro lax in the summertime will never work, IMHO. Maybe that's why the PLL is paying these guys better $$$'s; perhaps that will lure guys to play just outdoor and the season can start in March...
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:43 pm MLL is in its 19th year, not sure how that is classified as a "failure". Financially the MLL doesn't appear to be making any money, and plenty of teams have disbanded; however, 19 years is nothing to sneeze at--heck, the new football league folded mid-season and they had REAL TV coverage!!

As someone else pointed out, the Pro season has to be played in the spring...granted several guys play in the NLL and the seasons would conflict a bit..oh well. Players can decide if they want to play NLL or PLL/MLL. Pro lax in the summertime will never work, IMHO. Maybe that's why the PLL is paying these guys better $$$'s; perhaps that will lure guys to play just outdoor and the season can start in March...
The NLL looks like it's in better shape than either the MLL or PLL, at least from an attendance perspective (NLL drew 760K fans last season). If I'm looking to strengthen the outdoor league, I'd be looking to draw a closer partnership with the NLL. Harmonize the schedules, co-branding opportunities, and the like. What the NLL doesn't have is good TV distribution. Perhaps that's where the PLL could be useful in a partnership.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

The NLL just doesn't do it for me. I really prefer the outdoor game and the classic lacrosse game. I can't see 2 leagues surviving. There just isn't the brand, and fan base to make it happen.

I would prefer to see colleges expand more than watch pro to be honest. Get more colleges in D1. Get the big time schoools, get them all on tv. Then you start building a fan base for future pros. Its just too east coast nitchey right now.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Surfsup, and it's always been this way. I think the MLL and PLL are trying to be the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, and... It's not who we are. For many, many years, lacrosse was high school, college, and then tourneys where you played for your college's team. I'd much rather watch an SU vs. UVA or whomever alumni team game over an MLL or PLL game. But, for some reason, we feel a need to be like them. Granted, the PLL is more innovative than the MLL in how the league operates but... It still hasn't caught my ear. I think the model for the MLL and PLL should be the Vail Tournament, not the NFL.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Feel pretty much the same, Surfs. The world box tournament was held right down the road from me a few years back and I went to see quite a number of games and thoroughly enjoyed them. The world tounament just has a different flavor though, there's some kind of special element there. While I can enjoy box I much prefer the college field game, that's by far the best one as far as I'm concerned. Just can't get into the pro leagues for some reason.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Drinking on the field after the Championship game is really stupid, not a good look
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:55 pm Drinking on the field after the Championship game is really stupid, not a good look
It really is stupid.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:59 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:55 pm Drinking on the field after the Championship game is really stupid, not a good look
It really is stupid.
It was a good game to watch too, just don't see how these guys think that helps lacrosse. Do it in the locker room
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

It was a great game for NBC on national level, smart to put the people on one side for tv. Excellent camera angles, replays and the announcers are so much better than ESPN. It is a fast paced lacrosse game for TV, made the Auburn v Texas AM football, opposite it on CBS, look slow.

All in all it was a great start for PLL, lots to build on. Fact is more and more people are playing lacrosse, leaving the contact of football behind. The growth is on the side of lacrosse as football participation continues to dwindle, especially in California. Will make the game of lacrosse an easier sell with sponsors, be interesting to see the demo breakdown for television.

While I agree there is not enough room for two pro leagues, there will be a shake out and some kind of merger in time. PLL has the business advantage, as of now, with the NBC deal. Lots of broadcast outlets need programming. There are plenty of quality players to form a very competitive pro league. All the momentum is on lacrosse's side for growth on the professional side, be fun to see how it works out.

As for the celebration on the sidelines, I would have had a beer too after winning.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

It aint over yet wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 pm I love lacrosse but its just never going to be a big time pro sport. MLL was a failure an PPL will not grow to be anywhere close to the NHL etc This isnt a slam on the sport its just the way it is !! Enjoy lacrosse for what it is not for what you want it to be
and what too many people want it to be is a source of income.
and just one of the reasons why lacrosse will never be the NBA or NHL. THESE are the types who want to "professionalize" the game... :roll:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HooDat wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am
It aint over yet wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 pm I love lacrosse but its just never going to be a big time pro sport. MLL was a failure an PPL will not grow to be anywhere close to the NHL etc This isnt a slam on the sport its just the way it is !! Enjoy lacrosse for what it is not for what you want it to be
and just one of the reasons why lacrosse will never be the NBA or NHL. THESE are the types who want to "professionalize" the game... :roll:
YEah......drink on TV......in the locker room :roll: :roll: Or......it's for the kids....my funsucker pretends rant :ugeek: :ugeek: :roll:

Everyones problem with this (drinking out of the championship cup)....IS what, exactly?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The game was a really good game. I don't get the hate. The first quarter was a bit sloppy, but once the game got going, it was played at a real high level. IMO, the PLL is better than the MLL. Think it will only continue to separate itself in the coming years.
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 am
YEah......drink on TV......in the locker room :roll: :roll: Or......it's for the kids....my funsucker pretends rant :ugeek: :ugeek: :roll:

Everyones problem with this (drinking out of the championship cup)....IS what, exactly?
It just perpetuates the lacrosse stereotype. I saw someone hawking some silly lacrosse Tee-shirts that were so bad that I sent an email asking if they really thought about what those tee shirts represented. The PLL has done a very good job in year one. Some elements I like and some I don’t but I am supportive of both leagues.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:47 am

It just perpetuates the lacrosse stereotype. I saw someone hawking some silly lacrosse Tee-shirts that were so bad that I sent an email asking if they really thought about what those tee shirts represented. The PLL has done a very good job in year one. Some elements I like and some I don’t but I am supportive of both leagues.
I focus on the success lacrosse (college) players have after graduation. You must be the other guy.

Celebrating a championship, how horrible.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I focus on the success lacrosse (college) players have after graduation. You must be the other guy.

Personally they played the game, they earned the right to a few beers, I could care less, good for them. Hopefully they have moved up from Natty Light.

As a businessman I can see where this could be a bad optic for the league. Unfortunately lacrosse is stuck with the Lax Bro moniker which correlates to White Privilege add the drinking of a few beers you have a recipe for something to go vira,l not is a positive way.

We live is an age of social media, where things from long ago pop up and go viral in a completely different context. What was fine yesterday is a sin today.

I am not saying it fair or right I just saying that is the time we are living in. I am glad I didn't have to deal with this at their age.
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:47 am

Given this sport’s image, I just thought it was a bad look. I know this for certain. I am closer to the MLL and PLL than you are....Btw, ran into a buddy of the Lyne’s last night. Had good things to say about the player.
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

Yup, pro lacrosse will never be what most people on this board hope for, which is general population acceptance - which it will NEVER be. Not in 10 years, not in 20...Maybe in 50 LOL. I been at this sport for over a decade now and it has grown a little since I started getting involved. Some growth at the college level and grade school/hs travel teams but that is it. Overall, all I see is a bunch of rich, white kids flying around to expensive tournaments, and (mostly ignorant) parents shelling out tons of cash to feed their egos. While travel team owners dangle "the dream" of playing D1 lacrosse or getting recruited to players LOL. Pretty much everyone invovled with lacrosse now is trying to make a fast, easy buck off of parents and kids. The game is great by itself, but horible once you factor in the money grubbers and the bs politics that go with the game.
Last edited by Fanlax999 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”