Recruiting Timeline

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Surfs_Up

Recruiting Timeline

Post by Surfs_Up »

I am noticing a lot of 2020's making their commitments this summer prior to senior year. Is that the new norm, now as an effect of the rule change?
WHat percentage of kids got offers prior to the summer, immediately after September 1, of 2019, vs all the commits I am seeing this summer?

Is the most important season of playing prior to junior year, or prior to senior year?

Thoughts?
10stone5

Re: Recruiting Timeline

Post by 10stone5 »

You mean 2021s prior to their Junior years, yes ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Surfs_Up wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:33 pm I am noticing a lot of 2020's making their commitments this summer prior to senior year. Is that the new norm, now as an effect of the rule change?
WHat percentage of kids got offers prior to the summer, immediately after September 1, of 2019, vs all the commits I am seeing this summer?

Is the most important season of playing prior to junior year, or prior to senior year?

Thoughts?
The 2020's making their announcements now, just before the head into their final HS year, is not uncommon at all.....and actually quite a breath of fresh(er) air. You will likely see many more during the Fall Contact Period.

To your last question. IMO, the most important season(s) are your HS years in general. Don't get caught up in worrying about when a child must perform....that'll only make matters worse and add undue stress for you and child. Just bust your arse doing "the next right thing" each time they strap up and let the cards fall where they do. And be a salesman...never assume you coaches will be at an event and on the sideline during your game and while you hit the field. Reach out...make their lives easier.

Enjoy the ride...and when or if your kid gets into college and plays, wherever that may be, just enjoy it. And who cares if it's Club or D1. I have a D1 and D3 and both are equally as enjoyable....actually the D3 games are more fun to watch IMO.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 pm
Surfs_Up wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:33 pm I am noticing a lot of 2020's making their commitments this summer prior to senior year. Is that the new norm, now as an effect of the rule change?

Thoughts?
The 2020's making their announcements now, just before the head into their final HS year, is not uncommon at all.....and actually quite a breath of fresh(er) air. You will likely see many more during the Fall Contact Period.

To your last question. IMO, the most important season(s) are your HS years in general. Don't get caught up in worrying about when a child must perform....that'll only make matters worse and add undue stress for you and child. Just bust your arse doing "the next right thing" each time they strap up and let the cards fall where they do. And be a salesman...never assume you coaches will be at an event and on the sideline during your game and while you hit the field. Reach out...make their lives easier.

Enjoy the ride...and when or if your kid gets into college and plays, wherever that may be, just enjoy it. And who cares if it's Club or D1. I have a D1 and D3 and both are equally as enjoyable....actually the D3 games are more fun to watch IMO.
+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

For the most part if a kid does not have a D1 spot for the 2020 class by Octoberish chances are they won’t get one. Maybe a few stragglers here and there and left behinds to lower tier programs - but coaches are largely looking to close out the 20s and move on to the 21s.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:02 pm You mean 2021s prior to their Junior years, yes ?
That should not be happening, as contact can't be made until Sept 1 of junior year. Right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am
10stone5 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:02 pm You mean 2021s prior to their Junior years, yes ?
That should not be happening, as D1 contact can't be made until Sept 1 of junior year. Right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Thoughts?

+1
Good advice!
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am
That should not be happening, as contact can't be made until Sept 1 of junior year. Right?
I'm wondering if they were referring to the summer prior to Junior year being the most important? Not that they were expecting commitments from the 2021s prior to 9/1.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Yes that is the intent of question. If the 2020’s are committing their summer prior to senior year, does that mean that summer is MORE important than rising Junior year?

Which summer is most important for recruiting?
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Surfs_Up wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:18 pm Yes that is the intent of question. If the 2020’s are committing their summer prior to senior year, does that mean that summer is MORE important than rising Junior year?

Which summer is most important for recruiting?
Since the 2021s are the first class that had very few early recruits prior to the rule change, I'm guessing this will have been the most important summer for them. I guess we will know for sure come September, but I would imagine you will see many more D1 commits for this class during the fall of their Junior year than in the fall of their Senior year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

IL didn't give us a rising sophomore list last fall, so with the recruiting of 2021's opening up, who are some of the top players in the class?
Live Free or Die!
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Under Armour was short on 2021's this year as it was a 2020-2021 group.

There is a FOGO out of DC that won the National Showcase last year and was an UA attendee. He is getting a lot of attention. There were about 4 2021 FOGO's at UA.

The 2021 Middie Michigan commit on Igloo looked great playing.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

The 2021 Michigan midfielder commit would be Aidan Mulholland out of Manhasset i’d imagIne.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

In terms of defensemen, I was noticing that Keith Boyer at Yorktown was named a US HS All American for section 1 in NY, which sounds pretty good. I.L. seemed to give him a outstanding evaluation at the Maverick Showtime event.

From the same Maverick showtime event, I.L. gave high evaluations to
Jimmy Freehill, D, St.Sebastians MA
Griffin Schultz, A, Deerfield MA (already committed to BU)
Live Free or Die!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:22 pm In terms of defensemen, I was noticing that Keith Boyer at Yorktown was named a US HS All American for section 1 in NY, which sounds pretty good. I.L. seemed to give him a outstanding evaluation at the Maverick Showtime event.

From the same Maverick showtime event, I.L. gave high evaluations to
Jimmy Freehill, D, St.Sebastians MA
Griffin Schultz, A, Deerfield MA (already committed to BU)
How does IL not have evaluations up from the Committed Academy yet? It was their own event and it ended almost two weeks ago. What are their writers doing all day?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Ty Xanders and IL have released their Rising Junior rankings:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/55265
Live Free or Die!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

That is an....interesting list. One player from MIAA and 3 from SWR? That is a good team but, hmmm. Strange though as Xander’s typical bias is towards his home MIAA/IAC.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:02 pm Ty Xanders and IL have released their Rising Junior rankings:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/55265
i know recruiting rules changed not too long ago but didn't some of these kids already had verbals to some colleges when early recruiting was a huge thing
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:36 pm That is an....interesting list. One player from MIAA and 3 from SWR? That is a good team but, hmmm. Strange though as Xander’s typical bias is towards his home MIAA/IAC.
National Lacrosse Federation had the three SWR kids in their top 25 of 2021s as well, so it's not like Ty's on an island by himself. Sometimes schools have the good fortune of having a few outstanding players in the same class.

https://nationallacrossefederation.com/ ... -rankings/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”