D1 Mens Lacrosse
NElaxtalent

Re: Notre Dame 2020

Post by NElaxtalent »

Any feedback on the ND-AF scrimmage? TIA
Laxdoc31

Post by Laxdoc31 »

Based on watching the first 3 quarters, I would say you are in for a different looking ND team. Much more aggressive on defense in extending out. More ball pressure. Still crease sliding, but they really play physically on the ball carrier. They are athletic and experienced. They gave AF fits on the ride. Nothing spectacular on offence, pairs will be used a lot. FOGOS may struggle. Score by quarter was 3-2 ND in the first, 2-1 ND in the second, and 6-2 ND in the third. Had to head out and missed the 4th.

AF has some kids that can play. They slid too early a few times and created offense for ND more times than they should. Some nice individual efforts on offense. Goalie really struggled outletting the ball and gave way too many opportunities back to ND.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I know I'll know better on Saturday but... Anyone now anything about starters, PT, etc. for ND?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm I know I'll know better on Saturday but... Anyone now anything about starters, PT, etc. for ND?
Best guess..

A: Morin/Willetts/Westlin
M1: Costabile/McCahon/Jackoboice
M2: McNamara/Mirer/Kavanagh/Taylor
FO: Leonard
DM: Aslanian/Hallenbeck/Cassidy
LSM: Boyer/Trense
D: Kielty/Cohen/Blommer
G: Entenman
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Any guesses on Emmett Barger?
Caddy Day
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Not sure - would love to see him and Gray get minutes. But think Taylor/Kav are going to be instant impact and those guys may come along later in the season
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm Any guesses on Emmett Barger?
He might get a little PT but it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t get much at all either. I think he got more hype during high school than probably deserved. He’s a decent player. But not someone that was going to come in and make a difference right away.
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Very excited to see this 2020 ND team. This forum is quiet, lets drum up the interest! Anyone else interested in seeing what, if any, changes have come with 2 new veteran assistants.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Agreed - glad to finally see some ND fans on here. Seems like Corrigan will continue to run his offense while Wojcik takes D. Wellner has the recruiting background. Also Garnsey was around in the fall while finishing up classes as a volunteer, curious if hes around for spring.

Feel like they reloaded last years regular season team with some talented frosh. Curious who is in cage this weekend as that was a struggle last year. Also think post grad DM Aslanian from GTown is going to be a huge addition
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Can not wait! But I think you might be mistaken on the Coaches based on what I have heard and read.
https://www.18stripes.com/lacrosse-notr ... son-recap/
https://www.18stripes.com/notre-dame-la ... n-wellner/

Aslanian is a big addition to a loaded and veteran team. Wonder what young bucks crack the line up.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Always thought Wojcik was D guy... excited to see a fresh offense in SB!
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

hens62 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:57 pm Agreed - glad to finally see some ND fans on here. Seems like Corrigan will continue to run his offense while Wojcik takes D. Wellner has the recruiting background. Also Garnsey was around in the fall while finishing up classes as a volunteer, curious if hes around for spring.

Feel like they reloaded last years regular season team with some talented frosh. Curious who is in cage this weekend as that was a struggle last year. Also think post grad DM Aslanian from GTown is going to be a huge addition
Garnsey said on Paul Rabil's podcast Unbuckled Chinstrap that he is finishing his degree in the spring and will be a volunteer/grad assistant during the season. Curious to see if he'll have an impact on the young attackmen
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

I agree that Entenman will get the start in goal. He seemed like the real deal in High School and I think will have a very good college career for ND.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Last year's ND squad went 9-7. As with every team, the new season means a quarter (roughly) of the roster turned over. ND also lost it's defensive coordinator to Harvard, so it's fair to say that the 2020 vintage will look and feel different than the '19 team.

That said, I think there is still value in looking at the 2019 stats to get a feel for what this year's team will be looking to improve/build on.

So for starters, we can compare those 9 victories against the 7 losses. And that helps to really show where ND won/lost games. For example, in the 9 victories, the defense allowed goals on 24% of opposing possessions, vs 29.4% in the 7 losses. So the defense was a bit less effective in losses...not surprising. But on the offensive side, the story is more stark: in 9 victories, the offense scored on 32.4% of their possessions, where in 7 losses, they scored on just 22%. You could make the argument, based on this, that ND losses were more about the offense getting stymied than the defense getting torched.

Similarly, the FO and GB game were virtually the same in wins vs losses: ND won 57.7% of FOs and 49.7% of GBs in wins vs 58.3% at the faceoff x and 48.4% on GBs in losses. This aspect of the game doesn't seem to be a distinguishing factor between good ND and bad ND. As far as goal-keeping: ND stopped 74% of the shots on net in their wins vs 69% in losses. This is consistent with a small defensive drop-off in losses relative to wins.

Digging into the offensive side of the ball a bit more, there doesn't seem to be a stylistic difference between wins and losses. Notre Dame had possession for roughly 30.7 mins per game in their wins and 29.7 mins in their losses. Their average possession lasted 43.5 seconds in wins and 43.1 seconds in losses. There was some variation game to game, but the wins and losses don't show a pattern.

Even when you break down the performance of the offense by pacing categories, they were remarkably consistent.

Possessions lasting less than 30 seconds: 34th in the country
30-60 seconds: 39th
60 seconds+: 40th

They were very balanced last year in terms of how many possessions fell into each bucket, so you could argue that since they were better in shorter possessions (34th vs 39/40th), they should have tried to push the pace a bit, but that's a tenuous assumption and probably wouldn't have moved the needle much.

The Irish have never been an especially deep team, and that was especially true last year. We rank teams based on how much depth they display overall and the Irish ranked 54th in 2019 (after 39th in '18 and 45th in '17). On average, the Irish got contributions from 22 players (High Point led D1 with an average of 24).

The net net of it all is that, as has been custom for ND, the defense was consistent, and the Irish' hopes were pinned on how the offense performed. With the changes in the program this year, it will be interested to see if that remains the case. For the Irish to get back to championship weekend, both units will probably need to improve.

If you want to play around with the stats, the ND team page has been revamped with a new stats panel that shows all of this information and splits.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
whaley

Post by whaley »

great job laxreference! Very striking gap between offensice efficiencies W vs L last year. Allowing me some liberal rounding....in wins we scored every 3 possessions...in losses we scored every 5. It mostly comes down to a numbers game, making the most of your limited number of possessions...

Watched the game on streaming yesterday. It looked like garnsey was supervising the box...is that right? And KA was not on the sidlines?
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Fun to watch the new era yesterday. I saw KA standing next to Coach Corrigan. Looked like Ryder was running the box. 12-1 at half and 16-3 after 3. By all accounts it looked like ND went to the bench early in the 3rd qtr.

Pat Kav is the real deal and it appears the freshman goalie is as well. He looked poised.

Excited to see where this year goes. Very physical defense and AGGRESSIVE!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

richmond up 2-1 in the 2nd Q.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

And Notre Dame runs away.

Morin didn't start. Seems like he isn't playing. Is he hurt?
Caddy Day
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Great win today. Excited by what i’am seeing. Strong play up the middle (FO-Goalie) and a balanced offense and physical defense. Big test next weekend w/a rested Terp team
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Connor Morin injured?
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”