Georgetown 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Georgetown 2020

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:41 pm the question... there was a vocal group of those not believing in warne's process when i was here before. has he changed or is it that results have changed some of that skepticism (with some time to come to pass)?
I won't speak for GTown fans but as a neutral observer one gigantic differentiator IMO was the addition of Phipps as offensive coordinator.

From 2013-2017, under Warne but before Phipps was hired, the Hoyas were 26-47, had just one winning season, 0 NCAA tournament berths, finished better than 4th in the Big East only once.

Phipps was hired going into 2018 season. From 2018-2020: 31-10, two NCAA berths, was looking like a third this year. It was night and day and started the moment he joined the staff, and has not let up. Goals per game:

2017: 10.1
2018 (Phipps hired, pre-shot clock): 11.3
2019: 14.1
2020: 16.5

Shot clock accounts for some of that but it's still a huge jump and was getting better each year. That's why Phipps is very high on my wish list for Hop's open offensive assistant job though I doubt he'd take it, obviously he's got a good thing going already.
Phipps as a Hopkins coach. :o
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm Warne adjusted, Phipps and Shriver huge as mentioned. Buy in from the kids changed with the 2018 senior class leading that change. Last two classes on campus and next two incoming highly rated. Things can change quickly if coaching, culture and talent are all in one place. Hoyas have all three currently.
Agree it was a combination of things. Also, don’t forget that Warne had no head coaching experience prior to Georgetown. So he was learning on the job. Assistant to head coach is a major jump. I was definitely critical in the past, but have to say they’ve really put something special together over the last few years. Kudos well deserved.

Having said that, while I don’t disagree with the optimism in this thread and the potential the team and program are showing, I’d like to see us back in the top ten and with a playoff win under our belt before I start talking about National Championships. 😉 At the same time, I do believe this staff has that goal in their sights.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:04 pm
HGK25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm Warne adjusted, Phipps and Shriver huge as mentioned. Buy in from the kids changed with the 2018 senior class leading that change. Last two classes on campus and next two incoming highly rated. Things can change quickly if coaching, culture and talent are all in one place. Hoyas have all three currently.
Agree it was a combination of things. Also, don’t forget that Warne had no head coaching experience prior to Georgetown. So he was learning on the job. Assistant to head coach is a major jump. I was definitely critical in the past, but have to say they’ve really put something special together over the last few years. Kudos well deserved.

Having said that, while I don’t disagree with the optimism in this thread and the potential the team and program are showing, I’d like to see us back in the top ten and with a playoff win under our belt before I start talking about National Championships. 😉 At the same time, I do believe this staff has that goal in their sights.

The top 10 will hopefully take care of itself heading into next year. The story of the last few years was the constant "how are they going to replace <insert name>?" I hate to play the we get no respect card but yeah, we really don't - starting this year as an "also receiving votes" in a poll or two was a joke.

Next year people won't have that excuse, though somehow Ethan Walker will be the preaseason Big East player of the year even if he doesn't play.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Hoyas road just got tougher with Morrill and Cotler to Denver and Kirst coming back at Nova. Think Hoyas can clearly still compete for the BEC but the BE may now be the 3rd best conference in country next year as Providence will also be very strong and Marquette no slouch. Hopefully we add a piece or two from transfer group. Either way I still like Hoyas chances and the BE being better is good for the conference and lacrosse.

Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Now that Sowers and Morrill are off the table, who do we speculate would be a good transfer pickup? The third attackman spot is up for grabs this year with Clarke's departure ... or another middie? Would it be better for team chemistry to look for an underclassman rather than a one-and-done grad transfer? Maybe someone from this list? https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/56377
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 pm Now that Sowers and Morrill are off the table, who do we speculate would be a good transfer pickup? The third attackman spot is up for grabs this year with Clarke's departure ... or another middie? Would it be better for team chemistry to look for an underclassman rather than a one-and-done grad transfer? Maybe someone from this list? https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/56377
The attack was working really well in this shortened season with Clark dishing out assists. If we have a guy that can step up in that role great, if not a distributor would be good. There are a bunch of DII/DIII guys that might fill the role of distributor. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yers/56394

Larson Sundown from a talent and teamwork perspective would be a killer for us. He's as happy dishing assists as scoring and he does both at a very high level.

Will Yorke would be interesting as a finisher around the crease and would bring size to the attack. Doesn't bring assists though.

Every team can use a good middie and McCarthy is about as good as they come. LSMs and SSDMs... we have good ones but if we brought in another would it give us more flexibility on the defense? Mazzone back to close D for instance. There are some really good ones available.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

A distributor like Clark is needed, but let’s not forget the current bench (Munro, MacLeod, et al) could step up as could an incoming frosh. GTown has a loaded recruiting class coming in, and some are attackmen. Warne has a willingness and, it seems, a desire to start freshmen. His recent track record in that regard is excellent: Marrocco (all American), Berge (two time AA), Bucaro (two timer), Carraway (two timer and still going), Smith (two timer with potentially two more years), Mazzone, McDermott, Reilly, Bundy. Don’t be surprised if he sticks to home cooking in 2021. The chemistry is already there.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Comeonman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:04 pm A distributor like Clark is needed, but let’s not forget the current bench (Munro, MacLeod, et al) could step up as could an incoming frosh. GTown has a loaded recruiting class coming in, and some are attackmen. Warne has a willingness and, it seems, a desire to start freshmen. His recent track record in that regard is excellent: Marrocco (all American), Berge (two time AA), Bucaro (two timer), Carraway (two timer and still going), Smith (two timer with potentially two more years), Mazzone, McDermott, Reilly, Bundy. Don’t be surprised if he sticks to home cooking in 2021. The chemistry is already there.
I think this is actually the most likely scenario. The team really does seem to click and the answer to any of our needs might be on the roster. I like what we're building and would hate to upset the long term plans for a fantasy lacrosse roster.

We'd have to be careful about bringing in someone for just a year. That person would have to be an exemplary team mate. Bringing in someone for 2+ years would make sense if they would be a good fit personality-wise.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Comeonman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:04 pm A distributor like Clark is needed, but let’s not forget the current bench (Munro, MacLeod, et al) could step up as could an incoming frosh. GTown has a loaded recruiting class coming in, and some are attackmen. Warne has a willingness and, it seems, a desire to start freshmen. His recent track record in that regard is excellent: Marrocco (all American), Berge (two time AA), Bucaro (two timer), Carraway (two timer and still going), Smith (two timer with potentially two more years), Mazzone, McDermott, Reilly, Bundy. Don’t be surprised if he sticks to home cooking in 2021. The chemistry is already there.
I agree that we should develop the current guys as much as possible. I just think this year is a bit of an outlier with the number of highly talented transfers available -- its not something you can just pass up this year, and can have a great impact (think Lucas Wittenberg). Particularly with teams like Denver beefing up their rosters significantly. It would be a shame if we can't get one or two strong players to fit into the existing strong base of players. I don't know much about the DII / DIII players, but would be great to find some diamonds in the rough.
Last edited by rolldodge on Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Roll Dodge, I totally agree. My sense is both coaches and players feel they have the culture and talent to compete at a very high level as is. Look for one attackman to definitely be added and possibly a midfielder. The D2/D3 part is very interesting and don’t know that landscape well enough to comment. But when Warne finds a young man from Mercer who goes 1 and 8 in the BEC, it’s clear he has a feel for talent regardless of conference or Division. I think keeping the coaching staff in place is probably more important than adding any transfers, although both would be nice assuming boys are a fit culturally.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK25 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:19 pm Roll Dodge, I totally agree. My sense is both coaches and players feel they have the culture and talent to compete at a very high level as is. Look for one attackman to definitely be added and possibly a midfielder. The D2/D3 part is very interesting and don’t know that landscape well enough to comment. But when Warne finds a young man from Mercer who goes 1 and 8 in the BEC, it’s clear he has a feel for talent regardless of conference or Division. I think keeping the coaching staff in place is probably more important than adding any transfers, although both would be nice assuming boys are a fit culturally.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Not sure about any of these DII/DIII guys other than highlights/stats but they'd all fit as assist guys:

Larson Sundown
Peter Pittroff
Colin Minicus
Matthew Chlastawa

Sundown and Minicus could wreck defenses with our current attack ready to punish defenses that leave shooters open on a slide.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HGK25 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:19 pm Roll Dodge, I totally agree. My sense is both coaches and players feel they have the culture and talent to compete at a very high level as is. Look for one attackman to definitely be added and possibly a midfielder. The D2/D3 part is very interesting and don’t know that landscape well enough to comment. But when Warne finds a young man from Mercer who goes 1 and 8 in the BEC, it’s clear he has a feel for talent regardless of conference or Division. I think keeping the coaching staff in place is probably more important than adding any transfers, although both would be nice assuming boys are a fit culturally.

Let’s go Hoyas!
I think keeping the coaching staff in place is very important. If you are a Twitter guy, there is a lot of clamoring for Hopkins to try and steal Phipps as OC.

https://twitter.com/college_crosse/stat ... 79110?s=21

You guys got a good one.
I know they have one of the best freshmen QBs coming in that this staff recruited in TJ Haley.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

rolldodge wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:59 pm I don't know much about the DII / DIII players, but would be great to find some diamonds in the rough.
From the start I've thought Colin Minicus (Amherst, Attack) and Brendan Hoffman (Williams, Midfield) would make sense for the Hoyas to target. Both were MLL draft picks the other night and have write ups in this piece that Inside Lacrosse put together.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yers/56394
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Jake Carraway

Carraway is due to graduate this month with a finance degree and had a job lined up with Barclays, an investment banking firm based in New York City. He reached out to the company’s human resources department to determine whether he could defer starting for one year.
“I’m very fortunate the folks with Barclays were understanding of the situation and basically said my job would be there when I’m ready,” said Carraway, who had completed a 10-week internship with the company the previous summer. “I have a lot of great mentors with the bank that are ex-lacrosse players. They actually encouraged me to continue playing lacrosse while I could.”
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Grant to Hopkins as OC. Hopefully that means Phipps and assistants stay in place for 2021. That staff is crucial to the success of the Hoyas.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK25 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 pm Grant to Hopkins as OC. Hopefully that means Phipps and assistants stay in place for 2021. That staff is crucial to the success of the Hoyas.
Continuity is critical right now. I think Georgetown is on the cusp of something great. The last couple of recruiting classes have been terrific and the team has proven it can overcome losing critical players.

If we add a player or two due to this unique transfer situation that's great but more importantly we're keeping our own guys and our coaching staff intact.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

New stadium looks awesome. Nestled in the hole, with a gorgeous new press and fan section. Will make attending games much more pleasant. Although parking and getting in and out is still a PITA.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:17 pm Jake Carraway

Carraway is due to graduate this month with a finance degree and had a job lined up with Barclays, an investment banking firm based in New York City. He reached out to the company’s human resources department to determine whether he could defer starting for one year.
“I’m very fortunate the folks with Barclays were understanding of the situation and basically said my job would be there when I’m ready,” said Carraway, who had completed a 10-week internship with the company the previous summer. “I have a lot of great mentors with the bank that are ex-lacrosse players. They actually encouraged me to continue playing lacrosse while I could.”
Fantastic. Good people there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HC of men’s basketball Patrick Ewing has covid-19.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Two interesting things to point out in regard to the Hoyas and the current situation. 1) Georgetown is one of only a few teams in country with no young man in the transfer portal. I think that speaks volumes for what the boys think of the program. 2) Yes, Georgetown clearly would have welcomed Sowers, Morrill, Cotler etc. But every indication I get is that the Hoyas will add one at attack and maybe one at midfield, but either way this team and staff feel great about what they have as is in terms of talent, culture and chance to compete at the highest level.

Let’s go Hoyas!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”