Georgetown 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Comeonman

Re: Georgetown 2020

Post by Comeonman »

I think a very good chance and a very good fit. Might depend on 1) what Sowers does and 2) who Hopkins hires as HC.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HGK25 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:53 pm Within Jackson Morill in transfer portal due to Ivy League rules, anyone have a thought on Hoyas chances of possibly landing him. His Brother Zeke played for the Hoyas. Realize a lot of family history at Hopkins and many other schools will be trying to sign him but Would be an incredible addition if Hoyas were to get him to come to the Hilltop.
Morrill would be perfect fit. Puts Gtown in preseason top 10 for sure, maybe top 5? Him and Carraway would be quite the duo...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Might need a little more in back half of field to be top 5 but it’d be a nice offense.

Now if you could get a Brodie Merrill clone too...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm Might need a little more in back half of field to be top 5 but it’d be a nice offense.

Now if you could get a Brodie Merrill clone too...
I know their schedule wasn’t great in 2020 before the season was cancelled, but that “back half of the field” was ranked #1 in the country
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was a function of the schedule. Would Hobart have had the #1 offense by seasons end?
See Martin, Malcolm
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm Was a function of the schedule. Would Hobart have had the #1 offense by seasons end?
No argument there. Just felt like maybe would raise expectations to give them a high ranking preseason
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Would still put them up there no doubt.
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm Was a function of the schedule. Would Hobart have had the #1 offense by seasons end?
Gibson Smith, Owen McElroy. They got some pretty darn good dudes back there
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Agree that Morrill makes them a Top 5 team. Cuse and PSU, with all their seniors coming back, will be 1 and 2. Then perhaps Carolina and Maryland. GTown should be next with Morrill. On D, they lose one guy to graduation. They return IL fist teamers Smith and McElroy, College Crosse’s all freshman SSDM Godine, excellent freshman Donaldson who CC whiffed on, and a few other very talented but unheralded guys like Mazzone, LiCalzi, Geddes, Walker. And a Top 5 recruiting class. And a defensive minded head coach. And the sixth ranked face off duo in the nation. Morrill completes the cocktail.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Need to push it to #6 now that Duke has landed Sowers.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Was holding out hope to be the dark horse choice for Sowers, but Jackson Morrill would be a very interesting addition indeed.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Possible starting line up next year (without factoring in any boy from a top recruiting class -

Attack - Carraway, Morrill, Watson. Two all Americans and a kid who may be on his way there.

Midfield - Bundy (#1 incoming middie this year in country), Mcdermott and Thompson. Not Syracuse but pretty darn good.

Defense - Smith, Donaldson and Mazzone (maybe pole). All american, top 3 freshman D man in country and two year starter who has been fantastic.

Goalie - McElroy all american

Poles - mazzone, Laclazi and Walker combination. Very strong.

SSD - Geddes two year starter and Godine. Both made all freshman teams at short stick.

FOGO - Reilly/Milburn 60+% win percentage.

Rest of roster is deep and incoming class very strong.

That would be a formidable team. No question.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

That’s a legit lineup. I have seen one of your incoming freshman in the 2020 class Jack Leary play here in the Philly area at Haverford. He is a stud SS, would be shocked if he doesn’t see a lot of burn.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Morrill is one of the few non-Hoya 5th years I'd be thrilled with on the team. I like the guys we have and I wouldn't want to disrupt their chemistry or growth. Morrill is team-first and an unselfish player. I think he could fit in really well with our attack and the team as a whole.

With Morrill we could be a top-5 team and importantly still have a good culture and positive locker room.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

question and am not trying to stir up a hornet's nest.
full disclosure...
i might not have lurked a g'town thread in 2-4 years more than a half dozen times. i highly doubt i've posted on one since fanlax started.

over the decades i haven't given g'town much credit to compete with top 5 teams. but have been impressed with their ability to rise out of club status many moons ago and compete with others. these recent posts intrigue me. as did their look and competitveness in nc$$ tourney. your melville att was a stud and fun to watch and now g'town sustaining without him. other guys could play, too of course.

the question... there was a vocal group of those not believing in warne's process when i was here before. has he changed or is it that results have changed some of that skepticism (with some time to come to pass)?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:41 pm the question... there was a vocal group of those not believing in warne's process when i was here before. has he changed or is it that results have changed some of that skepticism (with some time to come to pass)?
I won't speak for GTown fans but as a neutral observer one gigantic differentiator IMO was the addition of Phipps as offensive coordinator.

From 2013-2017, under Warne but before Phipps was hired, the Hoyas were 26-47, had just one winning season, 0 NCAA tournament berths, finished better than 4th in the Big East only once.

Phipps was hired going into 2018 season. From 2018-2020: 31-10, two NCAA berths, was looking like a third this year. It was night and day and started the moment he joined the staff, and has not let up. Goals per game:

2017: 10.1
2018 (Phipps hired, pre-shot clock): 11.3
2019: 14.1
2020: 16.5

Shot clock accounts for some of that but it's still a huge jump and was getting better each year. That's why Phipps is very high on my wish list for Hop's open offensive assistant job though I doubt he'd take it, obviously he's got a good thing going already.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

I agree with the analysis regarding Phipps. And about 4-5 years ago the team seems to have jelled and developed a more solid culture. Perhaps it was the hangover of Warne having to replace a legend, as well, which is always hard to do.

In any event, with the school finally finishing the modest stadium that was promised for over a decade, and the opening of the Thompson Center, the facilities have improved. While they will never be on a par with the top state schools and top private programs like ND, the competitive disadvantage has shrunk.

And with the growth of lacrosse nationally, GU is in a place where it can attract top guys who do not wish to run the risk of sitting at programs like MD and top ACC schools/being recruited over.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Warne adjusted, Phipps and Shriver huge as mentioned. Buy in from the kids changed with the 2018 senior class leading that change. Last two classes on campus and next two incoming highly rated. Things can change quickly if coaching, culture and talent are all in one place. Hoyas have all three currently.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm Warne adjusted, Phipps and Shriver huge as mentioned. Buy in from the kids changed with the 2018 senior class leading that change. Last two classes on campus and next two incoming highly rated. Things can change quickly if coaching, culture and talent are all in one place. Hoyas have all three currently.
This. Warne changed the team's play style to reflect the team they had. You go from a defense-driven Nick Marrocco team to an offense-driven Dan Bucaro and Jake Carraway team. That type of adjustment takes a head coach that is willing to be flexible and assistants that are good enough to adjust.

It won't take much to make next year's Hoyas a national championship contender.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:41 pm the question... there was a vocal group of those not believing in warne's process when i was here before. has he changed or is it that results have changed some of that skepticism (with some time to come to pass)?
I won't speak for GTown fans but as a neutral observer one gigantic differentiator IMO was the addition of Phipps as offensive coordinator.

From 2013-2017, under Warne but before Phipps was hired, the Hoyas were 26-47, had just one winning season, 0 NCAA tournament berths, finished better than 4th in the Big East only once.

Phipps was hired going into 2018 season. From 2018-2020: 31-10, two NCAA berths, was looking like a third this year. It was night and day and started the moment he joined the staff, and has not let up. Goals per game:

2017: 10.1
2018 (Phipps hired, pre-shot clock): 11.3
2019: 14.1
2020: 16.5

Shot clock accounts for some of that but it's still a huge jump and was getting better each year. That's why Phipps is very high on my wish list for Hop's open offensive assistant job though I doubt he'd take it, obviously he's got a good thing going already.
This x 100! Random, but I was talking to another Big East assistant during the lax convention this past December, and they pretty much echoed the same thing about the Gtown offense.

I would also say it’s always nice to have alum on staff. And I would assume Shriver has helped smooth over the connection from the alums to Coach Warne. Seems like they do have something good in DC.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”