Patriot League 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Patriot League 2020

Post by houndace1 »

League will seem more open in 2020 than years past, given the offseason transfer request of Gray, as well as graduation of key seniors at nearly all the schools
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Re: Patriot League 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:58 pm League will seem more open in 2020 than years past, given the offseason transfer request of Gray, as well as graduation of key seniors at nearly all the schools

Houndace, you know my thoughts, but I have the top three like this:

Loyola
Bucknell
Holy Cross

I think it falls off from there. Losing Gray really hurts BU (duh!); but they also lose Burr. Colgate came unglued at the end, not sure what happened; in theory they have a stellar squad. Lafayette has a ways to go. Army will not be like they have been, even with Nichtern back. Navy will have a new coach, so they are a potential wild card on the upside. Lehigh loses too much.

Loyola and Bucknell will be solid. I don't love the fact that Loyola plays UVA, HOP, Towson, Rutgers and Duke for the OOC...not one cupcake to get the team humming. I understand the theory, but next year would be the year to perhaps start with some team where you can get your plays rolling. Bucknell does Bryant, OSU, UMD, UNC, and Richmond, so they don't exactly take it easy either...
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Can't argue with above
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Congrats to the Loyola University Maryland men's and women's lacrosse teams.

They combined to place 51 student-athletes on the 2019 Patriot League Academic Honor Rolls following the spring semester.

To be eligible for the Patriot League Winter/Spring Academic Honor Roll, a student-athlete must earn a 3.20 GPA in the spring semester and participate in one of the Patriot League's winter or spring championship sports.

The men's team saw a whopping 28 players make the list, while 23 from the women's side earned the honor.

Additionally, Two Greyhounds finished with perfect 4.0 grade-point averages - John Railey and Freeman Whitaker.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lucas Spence named assistant at national champion Cabrini.

https://phillylacrosse.com/2019/spence- ... t-cabrini/
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

I hear Craig Chick, Lehigh, is on the staff at UMBC. That's a great addition for that program.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lafayette posts their 2020 roster.
24 incoming freshmen.
Included is 4 star top 100 face off man James Turco, from Hill Academy, had been recruited by Villanova, Drexel, Rutgers.

http://www.goleopards.com/roster.aspx?p ... sort=class
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Looking at the inside lacrosse top 100 recruits, looks like Lehigh has some excellent recruiting going on--at least if you believe the rankings. Seems like most PL teams, save Loyola, have a difficult time keeping positive momentum. Unlike the bigger schools that are able to capitalize on successful seasons. Bucknell had a run, Lehigh, Army, Navy also got it going, but never any follow through. I suppose this will continue?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

24 kids in one class? Will interesting to see which kids make it through all 4 years.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re coming around, Lafayette, which that’s good for the League.
They picked up yet another Bogorowski family lacrosse player.
They’ve got the son of Penn State football alum in this class, he’s huge.
And next year is shaping up to be another large class, with a top Canadian box/field player committed (and possibly his brother).
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:34 am Looking at the inside lacrosse top 100 recruits, looks like Lehigh has some excellent recruiting going on--at least if you believe the rankings. Seems like most PL teams, save Loyola, have a difficult time keeping positive momentum. Unlike the bigger schools that are able to capitalize on successful seasons. Bucknell had a run, Lehigh, Army, Navy also got it going, but never any follow through. I suppose this will continue?
Lehigh had a run for i believe 3 years from 2011-2013... i think? Lehigh really mines good talent its impressive.

Navy had an excellent run in the early 2000's.

Hopefully Loyola gets good momentum given the short sighted rankings IL released just recently
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm They’re coming around, Lafayette, which that’s good for the League.
They picked up yet another Bogorowski family lacrosse player.
They’ve got the son of Penn State football alum in this class, he’s huge.
And next year is shaping up to be another large class, with a top Canadian box/field player committed (and possibly his brother).

Pat Meyers is a good dude. Kids like to play for him. Assuming he can hold on to a nucleus of those frosh, they will be a tough out in two years' time.

And yes, we need Lafayette to get better and play a stronger schedule while at it. Their SOS ranking is almost always as low in D1 as it gets. I'd love to see Coach step that up some this year.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 pm
Pat Meyers is a good dude. Kids like to play for him. Assuming he can hold on to a nucleus of those frosh, they will be a tough out in two years' time.

And yes, we need Lafayette to get better and play a stronger schedule while at it. Their SOS ranking is almost always as low in D1 as it gets. I'd love to see Coach step that up some this year.
Looks like they strengthened their schedule for this spring. Haven't seen Lafayette's full schedule, but looking at some other teams schedules and they have Lafayette listed.

Penn State https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/11/05/2 ... any-lions/
UNC https://goheels.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
Georgetown https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/11/28/2 ... own-hoyas/

That's a pretty strong start!
calourie

Post by calourie »

RumorMill wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Looks like they strengthened their schedule for this spring. Haven't seen Lafayette's full schedule, but looking at some other teams schedules and they have Lafayette listed.

It appears P. Myers is taking his toughen up the schedule cue from Mike Murphy, the head coach of Penn where Myers was an assistant for 4 years. Regardless of the ding a brutal schedule brought to Penn's won-loss percentage over the years, Murphy insisted on maintaining one of the top SOS schedules in the country year in year out. That approach finally seems to be paying off in spades with a #5 ranking for the Quakers last year and a preseason top ten prognostication for this one. It took some time to fully pan out, but such an approach would appear to be one method for attracting top tier talent to a program. Good luck to Pat in pursuing what looks like it might be the beginning of a duplicate strategy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

calourie wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:30 pm
RumorMill wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm

It appears P. Myers is taking his toughen up the schedule cue from Mike Murphy, the head coach of Penn where Myers was an assistant for 4 years. Regardless of the ding a brutal schedule brought to Penn's won-loss percentage over the years, Murphy insisted on maintaining one of the top SOS schedules in the country year in year out. That approach finally seems to be paying off in spades with a #5 ranking for the Quakers last year and a preseason top ten prognostication for this one. It took some time to fully pan out, but such an approach would appear to be one method for attracting top tier talent to a program. Good luck to Pat in pursuing what looks like it might be the beginning of a duplicate strategy.
Carving out a tough schedule in the Patriot League is something that often ends up biting you in the rear. With a 9 team league, AQ, and a locked in
bye schedule for I believe 3 years, it really makes scheduling your OOC games challenging. I have always hoped that American U would add Mens Lax, plit the league into a Red/Blue type league, which would provide for more OOC games and still have a PL playoff format. In the end, playing tough(er) OOC only adds to dings and bruises, when all that really matters is the AQ to get into the Tourney.

Sure, backing in the tourney as a wildcard is nice, like Navy in 2016, but the PL teams body of work with 8 in-conference games sure makes it hard to say "he look at me" come selection Sunday.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:58 pm League will seem more open in 2020 than years past, given the offseason transfer request of Gray, as well as graduation of key seniors at nearly all the schools

Houndace, you know my thoughts, but I have the top three like this:

Loyola
Bucknell
Holy Cross

I think it falls off from there. Losing Gray really hurts BU (duh!); but they also lose Burr. Colgate came unglued at the end, not sure what happened; in theory they have a stellar squad. Lafayette has a ways to go. Army will not be like they have been, even with Nichtern back. Navy will have a new coach, so they are a potential wild card on the upside. Lehigh loses too much.

Loyola and Bucknell will be solid. I don't love the fact that Loyola plays UVA, HOP, Towson, Rutgers and Duke for the OOC...not one cupcake to get the team humming. I understand the theory, but next year would be the year to perhaps start with some team where you can get your plays rolling. Bucknell does Bryant, OSU, UMD, UNC, and Richmond, so they don't exactly take it easy either...
Geez , think Lehigh is being vastly underrated, will surprise with how competitive they are. Going to pick them to win the Patriot league. Know they lost many productive seniors but no one is irreplaceable ie Spencer .
Petit is back and Mule is a real talent. Schelling, Kirst, Klose will step up and several others will step in . Two top fogos in the game with Gaffney and Sisselberger . Solid D fundamentally sound with Douglas, McIlroy, Tangredi , Legget , Hicks in place and Hangenburger returns along with several other candidates. Spence is a fine goalie .Well coached and a solid recruiting class to boot.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am

get the others, but Why are you complaining or worried about having to play Virginia since you have repeatedly expressed with great confidence that will be a definite Loyola victory?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”