Denver 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Re: Denver 2020

Post by ohmilax34 »

cherrylax wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:13 pm
cherrylax wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm Warning Will Robinson. What is going on here? IN a matter of two weeks we lose two top 50 recruits? Not to mention Hiltz committed to Denver the first week he was able to and decommits a month before signing day?? Something stinks.
DU has Sillstrop to fill the lefty spot for 3 years after Walker graduates. They didn't need Hiltz. Syracuse had two good lefty attack commits in the 2020 class that both decommitted (Maher and Hay), so they really needed a lefty.

Hiltz has played a lot of midfield as well, and from what I've seen of Sillstrop he looks to be a bit more of an X attackmen than lefty wing. Too say that they didn't need Hiltz seems asinine, Brownie would have found a way to get him on the field Day 1. When Berg first came to Denver he started at midfield too..
Sure DU could USE Hiltz. Everyone could. But looking at it from the player's perspective, there is a big hole there for Syracuse. Like it or not, this is something players look at. See the QB carousel in college football which happens every offseason now.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

It should be an exciting scrimmage against Michigan on Sunday at Denver @ 11:00 AM. Game is free.

Michigan returning top scorers:

# Player Pos Yr G A Pts
42 Buckanavage, Alex A JR 25 23 48
12 Mack, Kevin A JR 19 18 37
1 Myers, Avery M SR 24 10 34
3 Clay, Bryce A SO 22 6 28
44 Johnson, Javon M SO 6 1 7
16 Brown, Jason A SR 5 0 5

Incoming freshman:
Name Pos Class High School
Ryan Schriber D 2019 Wilton High School
Josh Zawada A 2019 The Hill Academy
Walt Alexander D 2019 Austin High School
Jake Bonomi A 2019 St Anthony's High School
Mac Fotiades G 2019 St Sebastians School
Dylan Gardner LSM 2019 Xaverian Brothers High School
Jacob Jackson M 2019 Jesuit College Prep School
Alex Bamford A 2019 The Taft School
Miles Bollman D 2019 Salisbury School
Joey Corbett M 2019 Don Bosco Prep High School
Michael Cosgrove M 2019 Brother Rice High School
Peter Davies A 2019 The Taft School
Matt Kelly M 2019 The Bullis School
Oliver Mirer M 2019 Cathedral Catholic High School
Kevin Pimental A 2019 Chaminade High School
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Went to today's fall ball scrimmage, won by Michigan, 11-9. DU fell behind big early in the game, 6-1, and climbed back in in the second quarter behind the the better players to come within 1 goal at the half at 8-7 UM. DU second half roster was played mostly by reserves getting vital minutes to impress the coaches to see who will figure in DU's field plans this year. DU's second half was blah - many freshmen making freshman mistakes. Not really a lot to learn today - DU played basically everyone on the roster, including all 5 goalies. There were multiple combinations of players, so it's hard to see how everyone will actually gel. DU was also missing at least four guys who I hope get to play decent minutes this year -- Danny Logan, Ellis Geis, Riley Curtis and Alec Stathakis, presumably to injuries that will hopefully heal by February.

Here's who stood out for me today:
-Jack Hanna and Johnny Marrocco were quite good making offensive plays in traffic with big and strong bodies. DU's offense will have an Ohio flavor with these two getting sold minutes.
- Ethan Walker was invisible early, but made his presence felt in the second quarter with some nice goals. Didn't see much second half action. DU needs a lot more from him this year.
- Alex Simmons has some nice moves at speed and an accurate shot.
-Other extended looks for Charles DeMuth at SSDM (looked experienced and solid) and freshman Malik Sparrow as a LSM. Sparrow is athletic, but made the usual freshman mistakes now that's he playing against D-I players.
-Oliver Dina got some time at the pole, and did okay. He's not big, but he knows where to be and is crafty.
-Brett Boos handled all the face-offs. He did pretty well, but didn't get much support on the wings without Logan there to clean up.
-Aaron Boyd also played decently well in the minutes he got.

Here's who didn't stand out:
- Looked like DU was taking a long look at Chris Sullivan and Mac Tezak for the open spots on defense with Colin Squires. DU's defense got carved up pretty good early in the game by Michigan, so this might take some time for Tierney and Gallant to fix.
-JJ Sillstrop - He was pretty invisible despite starter's minutes. Hope to see more confidence from him this year.
-Goalies: Cole French started Q1 and got shelled by Michigan. Josh Matte was ok in Q2, but DU's second half goalies did not impress me (Wright, Stroeman, Thompson). None of these five guys looked better than Alex Ready, and Alex Ready was a 50% svs. goalie in his DU career.
-Teddy Sullivan - Love his physical dodging game normally, but not today - didn't seem in synch.
-Sam Dwinnell - Again, a player who has a lot of potential but had kind of a rough go of it today.
-Drew Erickson - He got some late minutes today, but played not as confidently as I expected him to play

All in all, this was a day of tastes, but a long way from a complete meal.

The coaches look like they need a lot of work on defensive rotation and slides, shot selection, clock management, clearing and open-field ground balls.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Puck Swami,

I appreciate the in depth player analysis, but I think you are being over critical on a few fronts.

Denver started a number of freshman and as you would expect there is a lot of room for learning and improving.
Michigan's defense looked very good. They also hustled on ground balls more than Denver in the first half.

Denver struggled to find open players on offense and did not get quality shots on goal. Michigan's defense gets some of the credit.

Goalies are impacted by their defense and the amount of time the team is playing defense. Goals allowed by goalie: French 4, Matte 3, Wright 2, Stroeman 1, Thompson 1.

4 Goals in the second half for Michigan is decent goalie play. The number of saves was definitely higher than 4 in the second half. It is hard for goalies to come in without warm ups and play short periods of time. I'm not sure why you are so critical.

3 Goals in the second half for Denver was an issue. There was bad shot selection with a couple shots right into the goalie's crosse. Michigan's defense again deserves a lot of the credit. Denver also hit pipe 2-3 times so who knows.

Overall Denver needed to pass the ball more and break down the Michigan defense. They dodged into doubles too much and need to play more as a team.

All the players you listed on offense that did not stand out had very good games at Syracuse so I don't think they got as much time.

Lots of good things to learn from. Denver definitely has the talent to have a good season.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

My concerns and thoughts: Geis does not return. It was only 7 months ago he tore his ACL.
Defense better get better quickly. It might not. Luckily offense will have ball 60-65%
of the time.
Last year a lot of offensive players shot without picking their target areas. Got to do better
than that.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh. My player evaluations are based on the very high standards of watching DU's high levels of talent play here over the last 10 years. We've been so spoiled by the incredible levels of lax excellence here at DU since Tierney's arrival in 2010, that perhaps it's hard for some to see the reality of where DU is right now in lacrosse - DU is no longer a top 5 program, and I didn't see anything last week that made me feel optimistic that DU would be better than last year.

Tierney got to Denver in 2010, and took the Pios to the Final Four in year two, and brought DU a national title in 2015. He is the greatest coach in the history of the sport, and I am eternally grateful for all he has done, not only for DU but for the sport of lacrosse in general.

That said, I've also noticed that DU has entered a period of decline from that lofty pinnacle year of 2015. Since the National title year, there has been a slight, but noticeable slide in DU's overall talent and compete levels. While DU continues to be good enough win the Big East regular season top seed, the hunger of DU's 2011-2015 ascending years seems to be missing at the end of the year. Call it complacency or just talent decline, DU hasn't won the Big East Tourney since 2015, losing the title game in three of the last four seasons and also missing the BE title game once in that time span. But that's not the only decline. Last year, DU failed to win an NCAA tournament berth for the first time since 2010. These are facts, and they cannot be disputed. DU once dominated the Big East conference, and today, DU is much closer to the Big East pack than far above it.

Why is DU lax in decline? Let's ask those questions...

Great coaches are still great coaches, but I do wonder about the level of fire left inside them. I am hearing from former well-respected DU players that Denver is getting outworked on the national recruiting trail, and that perhaps much of the coaching staff's extensive local attention on the development of programs like Denver Elite and Colorado Box Lacrosse may be great for lax in Colorado generally, but is causing the Pioneers to miss out on some recruiting events around the country and some the great players who come from those events. DU just isn't there as much as it used to be. Those may be just some player opinions, but there seem to be more de-commitments now than in other years, too. And then there is the eye test. This new class of freshmen (Stathakis excepted, since he's hurt and didn't play last week) make virtually no impression at home against a very mediocre Michigan program that was 4-9 last year, the alarm bells ring.

Frankly, I also worry about talented DU players already not playing to their potential. Last year, both of DU's big shooters, Ethan Walker and Colton Jackson, seemed to plateau in their performance levels. DU's once-feared pinpoint shooting accuracy seemed to vanish into a record number of hit pipes, the man-up unit sputtered into dysfunction and the goaltending struggled to get to .500, the threshold that the coaches have always said is the minimum requirement. The program was not elite last year, and it showed in the results - not good enough to make it to the dance.

I know that Tierney and Brown are very competitive guys and they can't be very happy about what happened last year. All programs have 'down' years, most of them worse than 10-5. But I'm hoping they can right the DU ship and make this program elite again...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

One issue Pios have.
The Big East.
A one bid league again this year ?

You’ve got the ACC with what, 5 bids.
The Big Ten ?
3, maybe 4 bids.
The Ivy’s ?
3 at a minimum.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

I agree with most of Puck's and 10"s points. Last year's team was a mess. If every player was
around and healthy, the 2019 team was constructed to win a NC. (best defense in the Tierney era) Same goes for 2018.
De-committing is a major issue. Pretty tough to keep kids from going Ivy. 2 Canadian kids who would be frosh this year are now at Yale. One 2020 changed to Harvard. The Syracuse kid switching is low for he was recruited strongly after saying yes to Denver.
We simply don't have the depth of top tier recruits to withstand de-commits and injuries. Add to that the kids in the loaded 2017 frosh class who aren't around anymore because of their behavior or loss of desire to play D1 lax.
Big East can get 2 teams in tourney most years or at least every other year. Last year we screwed that formula up. Nova, Gtown, and DU, can all challenge for NCAA spots. Marquette in my eyes will drop a little.
Walker is a stud who should have a big senior year. He was over guarded last season because his surrounding cast couldn't shoot straight.
We need to learn once again how to beat a zone and get lay-ups like the old days. That's on Brownie who couldn't get his players to do that last season. We have enough box players on the team to get this done.
The health of Geis is vital. It was only 7 months ago he tore his ACL. I see Dylan Johnson hasn't recovered yet from similar injury. He's a coach in this year's lax reunion game.
Most bets off if our defense sucks. We have no idea how good new DC is and if new players are any good.

Go Pios
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I watched the alumni game on Saturday. Denver looked much crisper on offense going out to a big lead at half time. It was nice to see the team rebound and finish fall ball on a high note.

Hopefully, everyone stays healthy and we start in January with a full squad. I don't know how the 2020 season will be. We do have lots of areas that need improvement.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

I saw the game as well, and didn't read much into it. Once again, DU played everyone to see who might be a field player this year and I don't think these guys on either team really go full-tilt in alumni games either, especially the alumni, who seemed mostly to be freelancing and having a good time.

Let's see where they are on February 1, where we'll see an exhibition against Delaware.
Wheeler199

Post by Wheeler199 »

I've noticed that the rich are getting richer on the recruiting trail. Top recruits see loaded classes and want to be a part of what they think looks like a championship team on paper. The problem is a lot of this top talent wont get playing time until Jr or Sr year. I think we need to go after committed players with much more vigor.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Wheeler, the committed players think they know what's ahead of them, but they don't. Lots will be putting their names in the transfer portal mid-fall so they can be somewhere else for the 2nd semester.. If the new recruits turn out to be great, then the upperclassmen can transfer.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Bill Tierney signs contract extension until 2024: 8-)

https://denverpioneers.com/news/2019/12 ... eason.aspx
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Hopefully some of you are DU hockey fans. If so, you must read Puck's 70 Year History of DU hockey at letsgodu.com. It's a four part series. with tons of information and also very entertaining. It's amazing work and award worthy stuff.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Puck Swami - Great job on both articles. And great to see Coach Tierney here through 2024.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

US Lax Magazine ranks Denver 9 in their Preseason ranking
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... son-top-20
NIKE/US LACROSSE
DIVISION I MEN’S PRESEASON TOP 10
1 Penn State
2 Virginia
3 Yale
4 Maryland
5 Duke
6 Notre Dame
7 Syracuse
8 Johns Hopkins
9 Denver
10 Penn

Inside Lacrosse 2020 Face-Off Yearbook: Men's Division I Top 20 ranks Denver 10 in their preseason ranking
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all
1 Virginia
2 Penn State
3 Yale
4 Maryland
5 Penn
6 Duke
7 Notre Dame
8 Syracuse
9 Ohio State
10 Denver

Nice to see DU opponents (Duke, ND, and Ohio State) in the top 10.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

We also have 3 opponents in the 11-20 spots: UNC, Towson, Gtown. Nova close to inclusion in 2nd 10 grouping.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

I think those 9th or 10th poll predictions for DU are likely pretty accurate. The Pioneers should have the offense to hang with most, as well as plenty of ball possession via face-offs. Question marks are on defense with a new coordinator, new close-d starters and a new starting goalie.

With DU not making the post season last year, I would expect a lot more urgency in DU's play this year. I hope the Pioneers can figure out how to work Matt Brown's offense to better fit the shot clock.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Less than a month before the first scrimmage at home against Delaware. Jan 31 (Fri) 3 P.M. MT (the preview has the wrong date)

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/9/12 ... os-tierney

Previewing Denver’s 2020 men’s college lacrosse schedule
Denver looks to return to the NCAA Tournament after missing out in 2019.
By Chris Jastrzembski @CFJastrzembski Sep 12, 2019, 2:19pm EDT

The Denver Pioneers are the 1st team in our 2020 men’s college lacrosse schedule preview series and the first team from the Big East. The Pioneers finished 10-5 in 2019 and 4-1 in Big East play. Denver lost to Georgetown in the Big East Championship for the second consecutive year and missed out on the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009.

Here’s their entire 2020 schedule:

Denver’s 2020 Schedule
Date Road Team Home Team Special Notes
2/1 Delaware Denver Scrimmage
2/8 Denver Air Force
2/15 Duke Denver
2/22 St. Bonaventure Denver Faceoff Classic, First ever meeting
2/23 Cleveland State Denver Faceoff Classic
3/1 North Carolina Denver
3/7 Denver Notre Dame
3/15 Denver Ohio State First meeting since 2018 (last year's game was cancelled)
3/21 Towson Denver
3/28 Denver Georgetown Big East
4/4 Denver Villanova Big East
4/11 St. John's Denver Big East
4/18 Denver Providence Big East
4/24 Marquette Denver Big East

Who’s In?
St. Bonaventure Bonnies (2/22)
Ohio State Buckeyes (3/15)

Who’s Out?
Utah Utes (15-6 W)
Princeton Tigers (14-13 L)

Denver’s Opponent’s 2019 Average Win Percentage & RPI
Avg. overall win pct. Avg. nonconference win pct. Avg. conference win pct. Avg. overall RPI Avg. nonconference RPI Avg. conference RPI
.522 .547 .482 27.77 23.25 35

Circle These Dates
  • 2/15 vs. Duke: One of the more marquee early season matchups, the series returns to Denver after spending the last two seasons in Durham. Both of those games saw Duke come out with a victory, including last season’s last second thriller. Denver won the last time the game was held at Peter Barton Stadium back in 2017.
  • 3/7 at Notre Dame: If Johns Hopkins and Maryland is the lacrosse rivalry of the east, Denver and Notre Dame make up the lacrosse rivalry of the west. This will be the 25th time the two teams meet with the Fighting Irish holding a four-game edge. But the Pioneers have won seven of the last nine meetings, including three NCAA Tournament matchups.
  • 3/15 at Ohio State: Last year’s meeting with the Buckeyes was cancelled due to the Bomb Cyclone that hit the Denver area. That game may have hurt both teams and their at-large chances in the NCAA Tournament. Both teams have split the all-time series with 12 wins each, but the Buckeyes hold a 6-3 advantage in games played in Columbus including a nine-goal win back in 2017. Denver last defeated the Buckeyes on the road in 2013.
  • 3/21 vs. Towson: Each of their last four meetings have been decided by a goal. Denver lost the first matchup back in the 2016 NCAA Tournament at home. The Tigers have become a very difficult team to face, especially with their defense with Shawn Nadelen as head coach. But Towson does lose a number of key contributors such as Brendan Sunday and Alex Woodall.
  • 3/28 at Georgetown: The Big East conference matchup to watch for Denver is against Georgetown. Denver has had their number in the regular season, as well as every team in the conference. But the Hoyas have defeated the Pioneers in the conference title game the last two seasons. Georgetown won’t have Daniel Bucaro or Lucas Wittenberg on offense, but Jake Carraway, Robert Clark, and potentially Colin Munro, the son of former DU head coach Jamie Munro, could give some trouble to the Pios.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”