Denver 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dunker

Re: Denver 2020

Post by Dunker »

DU-Fan great info and summaries. Thanks for posting. Should be an exciting year with so many NCAA tournament caliber teams on our schedule.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Dunker - Thanks.

The boys get back to school this Sunday. The first practice should be next week.

Hopefully, the new defense comes together quickly. There are a lot of good things to build on from the fall and lots of opportunities to improve.

I am especially hopeful that we have great weather for our excellent home games this year against Duke and UNC. There are 8 D1 games at DU or involving DU in February + the days before and after:
  • DU vs. University of Delaware JAN 31 (FRI) 3 P.M. MT EXHIBITION @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • DU @ Air Force FEB 8 (SAT) 1 P.M. MT @ COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.
  • DU vs. Duke University FEB 15 (SAT) 12 P.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • AIR FORCE VS. CLEVELAND STATE FEB 22 (SAT) 11 A.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • DU vs. St. Bonaventure University FEB 22 (SAT) 1:30 P.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • AIR FORCE VS. ST. BONAVENTURE FEB 23 (SUN) 1:30 P.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • DU vs. Cleveland State University FEB 23 (SUN) 4:30 P.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
  • DU vs. University of North Carolina MAR 1 (SUN) 12 P.M. MT @ PETER BARTON LACROSSE STADIUM
Air Force is also playing at Utah on FEB 15th. Cansius plays at Air Force on MAR 14. Furman plays at Air Force on MAR 14.

I cannot wait for the season to start.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Good to see Denver ranked #1 again in the preseason. I guess actually winning the Big East is a lot more important.

Good video from Coach T talking about the team.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/55793

IL's Preseason Big East Player of the Year
Ethan Walker, Denver
The leading scorer for the Pioneers the past two seasons. The physical lefty will be the focal point for opposing teams’ defenses with a relatively young group surrounding him at attack. Still, that’s never stopped Walker from taking over games as he scored six hat tricks in his junior season.

IL's Preseason Big East Rankings
1 Denver
2 Georgetown
3 Villanova
4 Providence
5 Marquette
6 St. John’s

IL's Preseason All-Conference
A Ethan Walker, Denver
A Jake Carraway, Georgetown
A Keegan Khan, Villanova
M Connor Kirst, Villanova
M Jack Hannah, Denver
M Tim Hinrichs, Providence
FO Brett Boos, Denver
SSDM Danny Logan, Denver
D Colin Squires, Denver
D Gibson Smith, Georgetown
D Patrick Kennedy, Villanova
G Will Vitton, Villanova
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

US Lacrosse Magazine Preview
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... denver-men

NCAA LACROSSE PREVIEW: NO. 9 DENVER (MEN)
TUE 21 JAN 2020 | PATRICK STEVENS | COLLEGE

Ethan Walker had 39 goals and 13 assists last year.

US Lacrosse Magazine released the Nike/US Lacrosse Division I Men’s Preseason Top 20 on Dec. 17. Team-by-team previews will be unveiled on uslaxmagazine.com through the end of the month and will also appear as part of the magazine’s NCAA preview edition in February.

NO. 9 DENVER
2019 RECORD: 10-5 (4-1, BIG EAST)
COACH: BILL TIERNEY (11TH YEAR)
ASSISTANTS: MATT BROWN, JOHN GALLANT, ERIK ADAMSON
ALL-TIME RECORD: 428-290-2
NCAA APPEARANCES: 11
FINAL FOURS: 5
CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1
2020 SCHEDULE
DATE
OPPONENT
Feb. 8 @ Air Force
Feb. 15 Duke
Feb. 22 St. Bonaventure
Feb. 23 Cleveland State
March 1 North Carolina
March 7 @ Notre Dame
March 15 @ Ohio State
March 21 Towson
March 28 @ Georgetown
April 4 @ Villanova
April 11 St. John's
April 18 @ Providence
April 24 Marquette

SAVE THE DATE
MARCH 28
It was Georgetown, which upended Denver in the Big East semifinals, that ended the Pioneers’ streak of nine consecutive NCAA tournament appearances last spring. Denver gets a rematch on March 28 in its Big East opener in Washington. Denver is 6-0 in the regular season against the Hoyas since joining the Big East, but 1-2 in the league tournament.

TIERNEY SEES FRESHMAN CLASS BRIMMING WITH POTENTIAL
Only two teams in Division I lost a larger percentage of its starts to graduation than Denver. And Pioneers coach Bill Tierney knows full well how outsiders might size up his team as he starts his second decade in the Mile High City.

“I do think that’s going to be the big question,” Tierney said. “When they rank us low or lower [than usual], it’s going to be because of the young defense and the question mark in the goal.”

The Pioneers fielded a top-five scoring defense while missing out on the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009 last spring, but even that group had a lot of moving pieces. Senior defenseman Dylan Johnson played only five games before a season-ending injury, and Cole French had a four-game starting stint at goalie.

Yet even with some instability last year, there are few sure things on defense besides senior Colin Squires. It’s possible the likes of senior Chris Sullivan and junior Mac Tezak emerge as steady options in a rebuilt defense.

But Tierney also walked out of the fall impressed with a freshman class brimming with potential contributors.

“We have some long, fast, athletic, tough kids who will be our future when it comes to our defense in the next 3-4 years,” Tierney said. “Do you go with door No. 1 or door No. 2? At some point, somebody is going to win these jobs.”

In truth, it will probably be a hybrid of both options. Buffalo product Jack DiBenedetto would surely be in the mix at this stage, as would both Adam Hangland and AJ Mercurio. The youth movement also extends to long pole, where Malik Sparrow will be in the rotation.

“Malik Sparrow is a freshman people are going to know about this season,” Tierney said. “This guy is going to make an impact. He’s fast, tough and picks up ground balls.”

There isn’t a complete lack of experience in the cage, where both French and senior Josh Matte (nine starts in 2018) have seen meaningful time. They’re part of a five-goalie scrum as the Pioneers try to fortify the position.

“It depends on how you look at it,” Tierney said. “Looking at my positive side, I think they’re very capable goalies. From my negative side, and what I told them in individual meetings is I want one of these guys to explode here.”

Achieve some certainty there — and on close defense — and Denver could have all the answers it needs for a stellar season.

PROJECTED STARTERS
A – Ethan Walker – Sr. – 39 G, 13 A
A – Johnny Marrocco – So. – 4 G, 3 A
A – JJ Sillstrop – Fr. – 65 G, 35 A (high school)
M – Ted Sullivan – Jr. – 17 G, 8 A
M – Jack Hannah – Jr. – 16 G, 18 A
M – Alex Simmons – So. – 12 G, 4 A
FO – Brett Boos – So. – 59.3 FO%, 87 GB
LSM – Oliver Dina – R-So. – 1 GB, 1 CT
SSDM – Danny Logan – Sr. – 55 GB, 16 CT
D – Colin Squires – Sr. – 23 GB, 9 CT
D – Mac Tezak – Jr. – 1 GB, 1 CT
D – Chris Sullivan – Sr. – 2 GB
G – Cole French – So. – 9.63 GAA, 47.1 SV%

TEWAARATON WATCH
ETHAN WALKER, SR., A
After complementing Connor Cannizzaro as a freshman, Walker has drawn much more attention the last two seasons. He enters the year fifth in Pioneer history in points (194), sixth in goals (127) and tied for ninth in assists (67) and again will be a major influence on the course of Denver’s season as a senior.

X FACTOR
DANNY LOGAN, SR., M
Arguably Denver’s most valuable player, Logan is a wing on nearly every faceoff and exceptional ground ball magnet who Tierney believes is the nation’s best defensive midfielder. Plus, he’s fast, an able shooter and a positive leader. “If you can get all his traits in four players, you feel good,” Tierney said. “But with him, it’s all wrapped up into one guy.”

NATIONAL RANKINGS
CATEGORY
RANK
VALUE
Offense 24th 12.07 GPG
Defense 5th 9.33 GAA
Faceoffs 16th 58.6%
Ground Balls 21st 33.13/game
Caused TO 14th 9.8/game
Shooting 38th 28.3%
Man-Up 70th 21.3%
Man-Down 22nd 68.3%
30-1
Denver is 30-1 in Big East regular-season play since joining the conference in 2014. While the Pioneers have dropped games in the Big East tournament the last four years, last season’s 12-11 defeat to Villanova was the program’s first Big East regular-season setback.

ENEMY LINES
“Deeper and stronger on offense. New-look defense could take a while. Two big-time faceoff guys could give DU a possession advantage a la Trevor Baptiste days.”
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Nice write up by Henpecked on the Delaware / Navy scrimmage today:
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=1269&start=40#p103139

It sounds like Delaware starters played well and start the game very strong going up 4-0. It looks like Navy had more success with midi scoring. It should be a fun scrimmage next Friday. I'm glad that Denver is fairly healthy to start the season. I suspect some of the players, like Ellis Geis, may not play as they are still recovering for 100% full action. Hopefully, everyone suits up. The weather looks good for Friday (calling for 56 degrees).

It is exiting to see the season starting with so many scrimmages today.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Hoping we get some locals at the scrimmage today to give us some updates. Wanted to take a look at a few games that pio fans should be paying attention too.

Cleveland State at Marquette - Both teams we play. Both teams with new head coaches
North Carolina vs Colgate - UNC game right around the corner. Interested to see how involved Chris Grey is as well as Colorado Native Lance Tillman
Duke vs Air Force - Our next two upcoming games.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Report back Denver people on tomorrow's scrimmage. It would be much appreciated.

Big sports day on campus tomorrow. Afternoon Lacrosse and Hockey in the evening versus 2 time defending champ University of Minnesota-Duluth.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Delaware played very well. Denver started at least 4 freshman. The Delaware defense was very good. Denver did not move the ball well and hit pipe a number of times on shots in the first quarter. The score was broken down by quarter. Delaware won the first, second, and fourth quarter. Denver only won the third quarter. I think the Denver defense did not play aggressive enough against the Hens and gave up too many easy shots.

Delaware looks to be in very good form. Denver has a lot to work on in practice this week before they open against Air Force.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

cherrylax wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 amInterested to see how involved Chris Grey is as well as Colorado Native Lance Tillman
Tillman got lots of PT and looked pretty darn good.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... otos/55886

A few quick blurbs on scrimmages from this weekend including photos from Denver. Terry Foy does say an unofficial score of 18-7, which seems extremely lopsided from what I was expecting. Anyone have any insight on this scrimmage?
smoova

Post by smoova »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:42 amI think the Denver defense did not play aggressive enough against the Hens and gave up too many easy shots.
This is generally consistent with how Gallant's Rock Canyon teams played defense.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Gotta say with the way Air Force looked, and UNC, that the Pio scehdule is looking pretty tough from game one. Be interesting to see what Dylan has done for the Buckeyes tonight as well. It sure looks possible that if the DU defense isn't ready, we could be digging out of a hole 7 games into the season. Hope not!
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

On one hand, you have an 18-7 loss to Delaware in a home scrimmage, a new defensive coordinator trying to build a basically new DU defense with 1 returning starter and DU is facing a ranked Air Force opponent, who is playing the Pios at the Academy coming off an AFA road win at Duke.

Should I be worried? You're damn right I am. This could be a really ugly opener for us Pio fans.

And yet on the other hand, the Pioneers are led by William G. Tierney, perhaps the greatest defensive mind in the modern history of the sport. I take a little comfort in that, but we've seen nothing yet to indicate this Pio team is ready for primetime. Fall ball saw Michigan run the Pios out of Barton and the lone exhibition last week was worse.

I'm going to call it 13-9 for Air Force.

Hope the Pios prove me wrong, but it may take a half-season to get this DU defense into a good place. This is why WGT gets the big bucks.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Puck Swami wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 am I'm going to call it 13-9 for Air Force.
Air Force looked (especially their goalie in the 2nd half) good vs. Duke but... I simply cannot get myself to say that they'll beat Denver. Yes, I know High Point beat Duke and UVA in their first few games so this is far from unprecedented but... Just hard to say the words. if they do beat Denver, I hope they don't do a High Point and then lost to St. John's in their very next game.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Matnum, I agree with your sentiments. Puck Swami is usually negative to soften the blow of a loss. Hope we find a way.

This is probably the only game I can't watch live this season. Only chance is if Mountain West televises, but doubtful, too much basketball. Thus Piovision Radio it is. Go Pios
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Today will be a big challenge and I don't feel good about our chances.

The defense is very young. I heard Colin Squires may be out for a month with a shoulder injury. So, we will have 2 freshman at close defense (Hangland, DiBenedetto) and 2 freshman at LSM (Sparrow, Mercurio). I am not sure who takes Colin's spot today. Along with JJ Stillstrop on attack and Alec Stathakis taking half the face offs, Denver is starting 4-6 freshman at the beginning of the year. It sounds like the starting goalie is not decided. Denver will be good in the long run with all the youth. But, there are going to be a lot of growing pains and the players learn, mature and get more comfortable at this level.

Denver needs to play more offense than they did last week. They need to reduce the turnovers and score at a much higher percentage of their possessions. The offense needs to be able to move the ball and get good shots when defenses press out on them with lots of pressure. I saw the Denver offense struggle at this against both Michigan and Delaware in scrimmages.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Anyone know the YouTube status of this game? Just saw a link posted.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Sillstrop 4g thru 31 min, welcome to D1
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good day for the San Ramon Valley (CA) crew,
Cole French (Austin’s brother) with a solid effort
in goal, Drew Erickson with a key man up goal,
and of course also, SoCal with a great start by Sillstrop.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Add-in the Fr FO Alex Stathakis dominating possessions going 16-21 (76.1%).

AF hung tough until 5-5 mid Q3 (w/ G Braden Host keeping them in it w/ 21 saves) but Den earned a 6-1 penalty advantage and won 17 of 23 (73.9% ) FOs to grind out the W in the 4th.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”