D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:17 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 am
houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am
Thanks! I haven't even seen his highlights til now. Joey Kamish is the real deal. Great first step, dodge, stutter move, and excellent lefty crank with a very capable righty to boot.

Who can not wait to beat UVA in our first game?!?!? And then to think I get to enjoy my crab and beer feast from those two fanlax jokers I bet!

I haven't been so optimistic about a squad in forever. “We came in like lambs and will rule like wolves.” - Francesco Borgia, Third Jesuit Superior General. Rock on.
Not to play devil's advocate, but what if the 2020 team doesn't achieve the success you predict they will have?

What if they don't:
a). Win the PL
OR
B). Make it to the PL tournament/NCAA tournament
OR
c). Beat UVA, or have a winning record
not that it has to be as bad as above, but the short answer is... i eat like a king.

Might i also suggest Petes Grill for some food? its near the hopkins campus... OR good ole Miss Shirleys for some quality breakfast.

Houndace1: look, leave the Hopkins squad to deal with methadone clinic shootings like happened yesterday about 4 blocks from the Hopkins campus; we here at Loyola focus on school and lacrosse. Incidentally, neither Alonso's nor Miss Shirley's accepts money from Hopkins students...their money is no good in our 'hood.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm Houndace1: look, leave the Hopkins squad to deal with methadone clinic shootings like happened yesterday about 4 blocks from the Hopkins campus; we here at Loyola focus on school and lacrosse. Incidentally, neither Alonso's nor Miss Shirley's accepts money from Hopkins students...their money is no good in our 'hood.
shade applied roughly.... :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:30 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm Houndace1: look, leave the Hopkins squad to deal with methadone clinic shootings like happened yesterday about 4 blocks from the Hopkins campus; we here at Loyola focus on school and lacrosse. Incidentally, neither Alonso's nor Miss Shirley's accepts money from Hopkins students...their money is no good in our 'hood.
Wow. I shut down the thread for a whole day..... :oops:

BTW I am partial to Union Craft or Five and Dime....As a parent of a hound, they take my $$$
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 pm

BTW I am partial to Union Craft or Five and Dime....As a parent of a hound, they take my $$$

This is the most brutal part of lacrosse calendar. After the season, before school even starts, no Fall ball yet on the horizon. Just summer crickets. The only story we are waiting on is Barndau's selection. I don't think he'll choose Loyola (and it might even prove problematic since we have two good goalies waiting with Shafer and Teitlebaum), but I have no inside info here.

Just bored out of my lacrosse skull.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:50 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 pm

This is the most brutal part of lacrosse calendar. After the season, before school even starts, no Fall ball yet on the horizon. Just summer crickets. The only story we are waiting on is Barndau's selection. I don't think he'll choose Loyola (and it might even prove problematic since we have two good goalies waiting with Shafer and Teitlebaum), but I have no inside info here.

Just bored out of my lacrosse skull.
i seem to remember you calling for the end of scanlan's public quest.
you made your bed.
Olddog

Post by Olddog »

Food for thought, I think we might see Olmstead move to the midfield. I can see him coming out of the box an be the "4th attackman," He can play a similar style game to Scanlan, dodge off the wings, etc. In my view, I think he's way underrated. He was injured for a few games last year. He could break out this year in a big way.

Lindley with Pridemore on attack could be lethal. If Olmstead moves to midfield, this might leave space for a right-handed shooter to step up on attack. I saw a clip of Joey Kamish (new freshman). He reminds me of Mike Sawyer. He's can dodge and has got a cannon. If not Kamish, who steps up?

Is this a crazy view?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

crazy? have you been reading this thread?
one guy changing spots, you're the voice of reason around here.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:54 pm crazy? have you been reading this thread?

Pay no mind to this poster above, folks; like many 'Hoos fan, he realizes they made off with an NC like a bandit in the night. The Terps rightfully deserved the win over UVA, our eyes do not lie.

Look at the 'Hoos thread here at fanlax; two sad and lonely pages of acknowledging original sin. I feel like I'm at confession reading their posts; forgive me father, for I have stolen an NC from a more athletic and talented team, the Maryland Terrapins, and hey can you blame us anyway it's the ref that stole it. Hail Mary full of Grace...

On behalf of the entire lacrosse community, it will be the Hounds' distinct honor to thrash the 'Hoos in February at Klockner to reset normalcy in our world.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Olddog wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 pm Food for thought, I think we might see Olmstead move to the midfield. I can see him coming out of the box an be the "4th attackman," He can play a similar style game to Scanlan, dodge off the wings, etc. In my view, I think he's way underrated. He was injured for a few games last year. He could break out this year in a big way.

Lindley with Pridemore on attack could be lethal. If Olmstead moves to midfield, this might leave space for a right-handed shooter to step up on attack. I saw a clip of Joey Kamish (new freshman). He reminds me of Mike Sawyer. He's can dodge and has got a cannon. If not Kamish, who steps up?

Is this a crazy view?

Not a crazy view at all.

Olmstead is set to break out. So far as how the offense is structured, I don't know what Charley will do; he has many weapons to choose from; he just needs to find the right mix to execute.

Lindley and Olsmtead are very dangerous players and I believe in spite of their numbers, playing in Pat's shadow limited some folks' impression of what they can do (without such a superstar alongside them). Olmstead has perhaps the better dodge and Lindley perhaps the better field sense. If the Hounds can find that one other piece on attack to complement these two's games, watch the eff out for our offense.

Btw, we will get the ball on offense next year considerably more than we did this year because not only did Bailey finish on a decided upswing (against the best FO opponents in the country mind you), but we now have several other FOGO options this year with both Cottone and Pacheco. Bailey literally took 100% of the FO's this past season.

The RAC will be rocking folks.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:54 pm crazy? have you been reading this thread?

Pay no mind to this poster above, folks; like many 'Hoos fan, he realizes they made off with an NC like a bandit in the night. The Terps rightfully deserved the win over UVA, our eyes do not lie.

Look at the 'Hoos thread here at fanlax; two sad and lonely pages of acknowledging original sin. I feel like I'm at confession reading their posts; forgive me father, for I have stolen an NC from a more athletic and talented team, the Maryland Terrapins, and hey can you blame us anyway it's the ref that stole it. Hail Mary full of Grace...

On behalf of the entire lacrosse community, it will be the Hounds' distinct honor to thrash the 'Hoos in February at Klockner to reset normalcy in our world.
I haven’t seen anything on this thread but complete respect for Loyola’s team and staff from Virginia fans and the same from most Loyola fans except maybe a couple.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

blue angels wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 am

I haven’t seen anything on this thread but complete respect for Loyola’s team and staff from Virginia fans and the same from most Loyola fans except maybe a couple.
you guys always give us a good opening game for the season. Annually, its a very competitive, fierce game where many of the guys probably played each other in HS, club or even youth. Both good schools (IMO UVA has the better campus due to the massive land the school has, academics are better, campus is absolutely gorgeous in the spring time), have great lacrosse programs.

Though i do wish Loyola is able to consistently recruit blue chips like the way how UVA, Duke, and the other power schools recruit.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Actually the only ACC school i don't like during lacrosse season is Duke due to our poor results historically. Since the 2012 championship season, Loyola has gone 3 wins, 6 losses with 4 of those L's with an average goal differential of 7+ smh. Nothing against Danowski and how he runs the program, i just dont understand why every year the team has a horrible regular season game against the Blue Devils
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Last post before i go shelter away for CPA review, but regarding 2020 and the schedule.

The home games Loyola has at Ridley will be prime time, though sadly the non conference games will be streamed on PLN and not on TV.

But the teams coming to Ridley for 2020 are:

Hopkins
Rutgers
Towson
Duke
Bucknell
BU
Army
Lafayette

I hope, maybe even suspect that fan support will be huge for these games despite probably a low preseason ranking
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 am Btw, we will get the ball on offense next year considerably more than we did this year because not only did Bailey finish on a decided upswing (against the best FO opponents in the country mind you)
Did he?

His final 6 games:

12/32 (37%) vs. BU
18/26 (69%) vs. Army
15/20 (75%) vs. Lafayette
11/16 (68%) vs. Army
18/31 (58%) vs. Syracuse
16/38 (42%) vs. PSU

Army was a miserable faceoff team last year, finishing at 32% as a team. Their best guy on the season was below 40%.

Lafayette was even worse at 28%.

Savio had a good game against Syracuse, no doubt about that. But in the other two games against good competition (BU and PSU), Savio decidedly lost the faceoff battle to guys ranked #16 and #23 in the country in FO%.

So I see a grand total of one good game against a quality FOGO (Phaup, #21). His other games above 50% at the dot were against some of the worst faceoff teams in the country. When he actually faced some of "the best FO opponents in the country" (PSU's Arceri and BU's Christman—both top 30, but neither even in the top 15), he didn't fare as well.

In fact his faceoff percentage decreased each of the final four games of the season, as the competition got incrementally tougher. This fits absolutely no definition of the word "upswing," especially if you're using it in the context of having bested "the best FO opponents in the country."
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Savio is a good young athletic fogo who is just going to get better. PB's optimism for him is warranted imo
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

There is something to be said for getting in a rhythm BUT it will be nice to actually have someone to spell Savio next year.
And what's often lost in FO stats is the matchup. Regardless of any kid's overall win percent, some guys simply match up well against another's style.
We literally had no one else taking faceoffs last year. When Savio had a matchup that was unfavorable, we couldn't even throw another style at it. Savio was often seeing 2-3 different, FOGOs per game. Savio always had to keep going and figure it out. I think that will help him in the future, but it wasn't an ideal situation last season.
Last edited by thatsmell on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 am Btw, we will get the ball on offense next year considerably more than we did this year because not only did Bailey finish on a decided upswing (against the best FO opponents in the country mind you)
Did he?

His final 6 games:

12/32 (37%) vs. BU
18/26 (69%) vs. Army
11/16 (68%) vs. Army
18/31 (58%) vs. Syracuse
16/38 (42%) vs. PSU

Army was a miserable faceoff team last year, finishing at 32% as a team. Their best guy on the season was below 40%.

Savio had a good game against Syracuse, no doubt about that. But in the other two games against good competition (BU and PSU), Savio decidedly lost the faceoff battle to guys ranked #16 and #23 in the country in FO%.

So I see a grand total of one good game against a quality FOGO (Phaup, #21). His other games above 50% at the dot were against some of the worst faceoff teams in the country. When he actually faced some of "the best FO opponents in the country" (PSU's Arceri and BU's Christman—both top 30, but neither even in the top 15), he didn't fare as well.

In fact his faceoff percentage decreased each of the final four games of the season, as the competition got incrementally tougher. This fits absolutely no definition of the word "upswing," especially if you're using it in the context of having bested "the best FO opponents in the country."
don't bother. i went through all of this with him already after his umpteenth post re: 3 games where he crushed dreadful faceoff crews. they will have the best players in the country at every position next year, with the possible exception of goalie. which is just a question mark for now.

i will say his optimism in the face of their personnel losses is refreshing. all hail pb!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 am Actually the only ACC school i don't like during lacrosse season is Duke due to our poor results historically. Since the 2012 championship season, Loyola has gone 3 wins, 6 losses with 4 of those L's with an average goal differential of 7+ smh. Nothing against Danowski and how he runs the program, i just dont understand why every year the team has a horrible regular season game against the Blue Devils

I have to say, I kind of hate Duke too. Not Coach D, who is a phenomenal guy, or the players, but the school and its entire New jersey vibe. When they play UVA, it's such a dilemma for the normies of this country.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Did he?

His final 6 games:

12/32 (37%) vs. BU
18/26 (69%) vs. Army
11/16 (68%) vs. Army
18/31 (58%) vs. Syracuse
16/38 (42%) vs. PSU

Ahhh, but you forget that starting the season, Bailey was not even in the top-50 of the country; regardless how he got there, trust me Bailey was a significantly better technical FOGO by season end; now that he is a junior, I'm looking for 60% just from him alone. More importantly, he tied up some very good FOGO's (Arceri being the prime example) but his wings let him down.

thatsmell is also correct; the kid literally took every single FO. Pacheco and Cottone are ballers, and will contribute Day 1.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Did he?

His final 6 games:

12/32 (37%) vs. BU
18/26 (69%) vs. Army
11/16 (68%) vs. Army
18/31 (58%) vs. Syracuse
16/38 (42%) vs. PSU

don't bother. i went through all of this with him already after his umpteenth post re: 3 games where he crushed dreadful faceoff crews. they will have the best players in the country at every position next year, with the possible exception of goalie. which is just a question mark for now.

i will say his optimism in the face of their personnel losses is refreshing. all hail pb!!!

All I know is, and we didn't specify this but let's be honest, I prefer my Maryland crabs "jumbo"; no welching!!! (also, Bailey Savio will clear 60% in '20)

:lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”