Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

Anthony DeMaio is a left-hand shooter, so the Terps would have to move Bernhardt over to the right-hand finisher spot to fit A.DeMaio on attack. I tend to feel Bernhardt will stay behind the goal, with Wisnauskas playing the left-hand spot next year
Live Free or Die!
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Maybe someone or three players should take the example set by Rambo and now Bernhardt and learn to use their offhand effectively. An inside crease attackman or any offensive player that could use both hands would be invaluable at any offensive position.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:40 pm Maybe someone or three players should take the example set by Rambo and now Bernhardt and learn to use their offhand effectively. An inside crease attackman or any offensive player that could use both hands would be invaluable at any offensive position.
Brennan does show an ability to go with his left (off) hand in his highlights. He scores 3 goals in his highlights out in front of the goal left handed.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terps' incoming freshmen Dylan Pallonetti and Conor Calderone made 1st team on Newday's All Long Island team.
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:40 pm Maybe someone or three players should take the example set by Rambo and now Bernhardt and learn to use their offhand effectively. An inside crease attackman or any offensive player that could use both hands would be invaluable at any offensive position.
Brennan does show an ability to go with his left (off) hand in his highlights. He scores 3 goals in his highlights out in front of the goal left handed.
Looks like he scores a lot more than 3 goals with his left. His lacrosse highlights certainly seem as impressive as any Maryland recruit since Rambo's. I say lacrosse highlights because Jared's football highlights will rule forever.
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Looks like he scores a lot more than 3 goals with his left. His lacrosse highlights certainly seem as impressive as any Maryland recruit since Rambo's. I say lacrosse highlights because Jared's football highlights will rule forever.
Thats a pretty bold statement considering Bubba and the Demaio's
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

Brennan's senior highlights show a huge step from junior highlights. He is much more athletic.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Paterp wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm
keno in reno wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Thats a pretty bold statement considering Bubba and the Demaio's
I have no idea if Brennan is anywhere as good as those guys, but I honestly don't recall many impressive Bubba highlight videos. Many other videos of top attackmen sort of blend in together. Rambo obviously stood out. The overall skills stand out in this one, but who knows until they face D1 defenses.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terp incoming freshman Justin Sherrer, LSM, from Etowah Hs in Georgia has some senior highlights up on his hudl account:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/6462291/Justin-Sherrer
(2nd video down)
He looks pretty fast and has some impressive stick skills. It seems a shame that UA didn't pick him for the AA game, as he certainly looks like the sort of LSM who could really make some big plays in such a game. :D

He lists himself as 6'3", 180 with 4.5 40 yard dash.
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am Terp incoming freshman Justin Sherrer, LSM, from Etowah Hs in Georgia has some senior highlights up on his hudl account:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/6462291/Justin-Sherrer
(2nd video down)
He looks pretty fast and has some impressive stick skills. It seems a shame that UA didn't pick him for the AA game, as he certainly looks like the sort of LSM who could really make some big plays in such a game. :D

He lists himself as 6'3", 180 with 4.5 40 yard dash.
Looks like he has a lot of potential- long, athletic and skilled. So hard to tell with highlight tapes from non-traditional areas because the competition looked like new middle schoolers.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 pm Looks like he has a lot of potential- long, athletic and skilled. So hard to tell with highlight tapes from non-traditional areas because the competition looked like new middle schoolers.
Perhaps the players he is checking the ball from aren't too talented, but he is still pretty fast, has good size, and one-times quite a few ground balls.
He gets pretty good scores in these things in his Inside Lacrosse evaluation last summer:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... 43449/5521

I think the Terps main LSM will probably be transfer Michael Ubriaco, but if Sherrer could step up as the #2 man, it would allow Rahill to move to close d. Hard to know if Sherrer will be ready, but as they say "you can't teach speed", and that will be a plus for him.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I was thinking that about the third attack position and kind of hard to see a freshman getting that spot. Tillman has started very few freshman at Attack with the exception of the class of ‘17. I think Bubba or Long are more likely. Bubba could be the Midfielder that rarely leaves the field similar to Kelly. Think Long might have a better shot. Towards the end of the season his passing skill were starting to take excel at key moments.

Think you will have bubba and A. DeMaio on 1st string but who will join them?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:32 pm I was thinking that about the third attack position and kind of hard to see a freshman getting that spot. Tillman has started very few freshman at Attack with the exception of the class of ‘17. I think Bubba or Long are more likely. Bubba could be the Midfielder that rarely leaves the field similar to Kelly. Think Long might have a better shot. Towards the end of the season his passing skill were starting to take excel at key moments.

Think you will have bubba and A. DeMaio on 1st string but who will join them?
You could play Kyle Brickerd if you wanted to avoid playing a freshman at attack.

While I don't see Long playing in a spot that is normally for a finisher, but following your logic. The Terps have senior Russell Masci (7 pts) and Josh Coffman, who got his feet wet in 7 games as the next 2 experienced offensive midfielders. Puglise did have 10 pts as a transition midfielder. After that you have the freshmen. In the past, Tillman has always chosen a fast player when he has started a freshman on the first midfield (Cannizzaro, Bernhardt, Fairman), so this would favor Dylan Pallonetti.
Live Free or Die!
terp talk

Re: Maryland 2020--Brennan

Post by terp talk »

Just watched a video on Jack Brennan. His physicality and action around the net seem terrific to me. With all the options Tillman now has, I think we can say bring on 2020. By the way Chase Scanlon from Loyola has entered the transfer portal. That would be interesting.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I haven’t seen much mention of N. DeMaio who enrolled early and has a full redshirt year in the system. He would seem to be in the mix as one of the top nine offensive players given his resume and “seasoning” on the scout squad.
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:39 am I haven’t seen much mention of N. DeMaio who enrolled early and has a full redshirt year in the system. He would seem to be in the mix as one of the top nine offensive players given his resume and “seasoning” on the scout squad.
Agreed. He looks better on film than his brother. Im excited to see him play. He is all left handed hope he worked on his off hand this past year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:39 am I haven’t seen much mention of N. DeMaio who enrolled early and has a full redshirt year in the system. He would seem to be in the mix as one of the top nine offensive players given his resume and “seasoning” on the scout squad.
I think he was only at Maryland this Spring.
The question with N.DeMaio playing midfield might be his overall speed. He looks like he would be outstanding at the lefthand attack spot, but Wisnauskas is there for the next 2 seasons. He could show up on the first or 2nd midfield, or the man-up unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3HTWnRYh4

In the end, it might not be a question of the top 6 starting and the top 9 playing. You have 5 starters returning: Bernhardt and Wisnauskus at attack with Fairman, A. DeMaio, and Long at midfield, so it might be who fits well with those 5. I tend to prefer adding a right handed finisher and keeping Long at the midfield. For the 2nd midfield, Tillman will be thinking a lot about balance. I think that Masci will probably continue there and perhaps Coffman will step up there, which might leave room for one of the freshmen offensive attackman (Pallonetti, N.DeMaio, Sawyer, Brennan).
Live Free or Die!
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

And only Bernhardt graduates in 2020. I hope Tillman gives out a lot of playing time, if deserved, so everyone returns for 2021. I also keep hoping a second midfield steps up and gets more runs because they are scoring not just giving the first line a breather.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I'm going to guess that the first midfield that we saw in the NCAA tournament will stay in tact with Fairman, DeMaio, and Long. The Terps offense has really thrived when they have that interior crease attackman playing well (Maltz). Playing that spot has so much to do with feel for the game...finding those seams, making small cuts to get open. Like Maltz, Dubick had that feel for finding space in close quarters. Brickerd is physically so different from Maltz or Dubick, and I haven't seen enough of him to know if he has that feel for space. Perhaps Nick DeMaio does, regardless of how strong his off hand is.

I like Masci's game, and he's going to take a good step forward this coming year. Last season, he often beat his defender but was reluctant to shoot. He's a big dude and just overpowers SSDMs and even LSMs. I really like how he dodges with his head up. If the Terps tracked hockey assists, he would have accumulated quite a few. Coffman is also going to play on that second line. He's a real dodging threat from up top, and the kid has some moxie. I'm not going to be surprised to see another late bloomer take that final midfield spot on the second line. Tills has spoken highly in the past, in particular last fall, of Kyle Berkeley. He fits that Zawadzki/Snider/Masci mold of the program guy who just keeps at it and makes an impact later in his career.

Last fall, Brickerd played some up top, too.

In keeping with some of the comments above, I think we'll see more of Bubba at the attack spot, too. I won't be surprised to see him with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas at attack for portions of games all playing at GLE or below with 3 midfielders (even Long) playing up top. Long's passing abilities are high level. Having an assist guy up top (like Cole a few years ago) puts so much pressure on a defense.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”