Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

Offensively things look bright for the Terps with All-Americans Bernhardt, Wisnauskas, Fairman, and A.DeMaio returning. Kyle Long showed some nice ability towards the end of the season as a 3rd midfielder. If a top freshman like Jack Sawyer, could step into Dubick's spot and have an impactful season, the Terps could have one of the very top offenses in D1. The Terps also add 2 top left-handed attackmen in N.DeMaio and Dylan Pallonetti.

The other end of the field is a little more questionable, and was the Terps achilles heel towards the end of the season. With Corley gone, no All-Americans return on the defense, although Brett Makar is certainly a burgeoning star. Freshman Conor Calderone replaces Henningsen to go with Justin Shockey on face-offs. Drew Morris will probably step into Danny Dolan's shoes in goal.

The Terps should be a contender next Spring again, but to really move close to the top of the list, they need to be more consistent on face-offs and their defense needs to be more of a shutdown defense - that can also take the ball away.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Wheels »

Umbriaco headed to CP as a LSM.

FOGO flip from Fairfield to Maryland. Luke Wierman from West Chester Henderson (PA).
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm Umbriaco headed to CP as a LSM.

FOGO flip from Fairfield to Maryland. Luke Wierman from West Chester Henderson (PA).
Those pick-ups sound pretty good.
Terps could definitely use an experienced LSM, and getting a 3rd FO-man to go with Shockey and Calderone is good. 8-)
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Wierman's IL page:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/44266

Bigger than Calderone but smaller than Shockey. I've seen him play. Scrappy. Plays hard. Doesn't quit after he loses the draw.

Here's his Hudl. Looks like it's up to date from his senior year. Wasn't just a FOGO for Henderson.

http://www.g4t.hudl.com/profile/7354274/Luke-Wierman
Slim

Post by Slim »

Michael Ubriaco, LSM/BL '18 made his decision to transfer from Nova to Md! Great pick up by Coach Tillman! Go Terps!
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 pm Wierman's IL page:

Bigger than Calderone but smaller than Shockey. I've seen him play. Scrappy. Plays hard. Doesn't quit after he loses the draw.

Here's his Hudl. Looks like it's up to date from his senior year. Wasn't just a FOGO for Henderson.

OMG whatever happened to the Hawgpen !
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Realguy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am
Wheels wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 pm Wierman's IL page:

OMG whatever happened to the Hawgpen !
Definitely looks like they're going to have 3 different styles to work with. That can only be a positive.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The offense for my $ should be phenomenal, bringing back top 4 scorers like 12, 1, 16, and 2, all of who have improved every year of their careers, bodes extremely well. Have never returned Top 4 scorers under Tillman and this may be the best Top 4 we've had. Throw in Long likely making a jump into 30+ point range and that's dynamite. Last 3 years have featured elite offenses and I think next year's could be the best yet.

Defense hasn't quite been there the last 2 years, 2018 Young was elite at close and Corley was a really good #2, but there were no shorties. 2019 solved the shorties issue but Corley just wasn't an elite defenseman, with all due respect to him probably the worst #1 we've had in a long time. Ubriaco coming in at LSM helps things quite a bit and if Makar can take the next step that should/could button things up. Morris should be good in goal.

I don't know if inconsistency on FO's has been the problem as much as we've just played a lot of great FOGO's. Inacio, Arceri, Woodall, Lasalla. Unfortunately 3 of those 4 are back on the schedule next year. The defense is the biggest issue though, we were just fine on FO's in '17, the key is getting enough stops.

Anyhow, I'm very optimistic about '20, I expect we'll be back in the Final Four and you never know from there.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 am with all due respect to him probably the worst #1 we've had in a long time.
That may be the least respectful 'due respect' in the history of disrespect! Hopefully Makar will be that guy next year.

Not so sure about your best top-4 optimism quite yet. This group was good a lot of the time and pretty bad times as well, and the 2nd line did almost nothing to help out. The 2016 team is the most talented offense in my mind. The one with Pat Young running on the 2nd line for some reason. Rambo, Heacock, Kelly, Cole, Maltz, Rotanz, West & Young- not sure next year's team will be better than that.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wow, if Terps get Ubriaco and Gray, that would be a major-major plus. Wisnaukas, Gray, and Bernhardt holding down attack, freeing others to focus on being up top middies (especially Fairman), you'd have to put UMD in the top-3.

So far as goalie, Drew Morris who has been sitting for two years is legit and will be very strong.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 am Defense hasn't quite been there the last 2 years, 2018 Young was elite at close and Corley was a really good #2, but there were no shorties. 2019 solved the shorties issue but Corley just wasn't an elite defenseman, with all due respect to him probably the worst #1 we've had in a long time. Ubriaco coming
I thought the Terps defense really started to struggle when Jack Welding's play started being limited.
The Terps went with Thomas O'Connell at the 3rd close D spot, and I thought he was rather subpar and a weak spot on the defense. O'Connell was a solid ssdm, and taking him out of the ssdm group actually weakened the overall ssdm play.

The unnerving thing now about this is that it makes one wonder about the quality of other Terp defensemen waiting their turn on the bench.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 am with all due respect to him probably the worst #1 we've had in a long time.
That may be the least respectful 'due respect' in the history of disrespect! Hopefully Makar will be that guy next year.

Not so sure about your best top-4 optimism quite yet. This group was good a lot of the time and pretty bad times as well, and the 2nd line did almost nothing to help out. The 2016 team is the most talented offense in my mind. The one with Pat Young running on the 2nd line for some reason. Rambo, Heacock, Kelly, Cole, Maltz, Rotanz, West & Young- not sure next year's team will be better than that.
He certainly wasn't a bad player by any means, he was a good player, but after a run of Brian Farrell (2nd Team AA), Jesse Bernhardt (LSM but functionally guarded the teams best attackmen; 2nd Team and then 1st Team AA), Goran Murray (1st Team AA), Casey Ikeda (1st Team AA), Matt Dunn (2nd Team AA), Tim Muller (1st Team AA, MOP Tournament, Top 3 defenseman of the decade), and Young (2nd Team AA)....being merely good means you don't quite measure up to that lineage.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm

He certainly wasn't a bad player by any means, he was a good player, but after a run of Brian Farrell (2nd Team AA), Jesse Bernhardt (LSM but functionally guarded the teams best attackmen; 2nd Team and then 1st Team AA), Goran Murray (1st Team AA), Casey Ikeda (1st Team AA), Matt Dunn (2nd Team AA), Tim Muller (1st Team AA, MOP Tournament, Top 3 defenseman of the decade), and Young (2nd Team AA)....being merely good means you don't quite measure up to that lineage.
Makar is that guy. He excelled at Yorktown HS. His skill as a freshman was phenomenal and he will be a star defenseman for the Terps for the next three years.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Curtis Corley was 3rd team AA, maybe a bit more than just good.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:34 pm

I think that was a reputation pick more than anything frankly, he wasn't a 3rd Team AA for me.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 pm

I think that was a reputation pick more than anything frankly, he wasn't a 3rd Team AA for me.
First team All Big Ten.

In the end, I think your placing the blame on Corley seems a little ridiculous. You have 5 other starters along with the goalie on the defense, you put the blame on the only one to make the All-American team. Corley was getting the job done, so obviously, the problem was among the other 6 players, or perhaps the back-up defensive midfielders.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

See Terp commits Conor Whalen and Gabe Goforth play in the PA state playoffs:

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/sports/lacr ... mM4lyTwzW4

This is a subscription service. Just passing it along if anyone is interested.
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

Cooter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 pm

First team All Big Ten.

In the end, I think your placing the blame on Corley seems a little ridiculous. You have 5 other starters along with the goalie on the defense, you put the blame on the only one to make the All-American team. Corley was getting the job done, so obviously, the problem was among the other 6 players, or perhaps the back-up defensive midfielders.
Gotta love the loyalty Cooter but Figures don't lie and liars don't figure Tim Meuller #'s 2017 20 Caused TO's and 36 GB's in 19 games , Bryce Young's #'s 2018 11 CTO and 21 GB's in 14 games and the games missed may have resulted in some big digits between the cold weather and start of the season. Curtis Corley 2019 #'s 8 CTO and 19 GB's in 17 games. Curtis is a great kid but AA maybe or maybe not.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Our close defense just wasn't up to snuff this year.

I hate to blame Corley - I have a soft spot for Corley because he grew up playing lacrosse for a town not far from where I live now and my son plays long pole. Not many south New Jersey players in D1 and two years ago the Terps had two on defense (Corley from Medford, NJ and Young from Egg Harbor Township).

That all being said, he was a solid defenseman for us. His biggest issue is he just wasn't a takeaway guy. He would play solid defense but wasn't someone who would press out and disrupt. Our team really missed that this year - we had that previously with Young and Matt Neufeldt, but no one on this team did it with a long pole. And if you let the offense just dictate, they will kill you (which is what would happen). If you have that defender who would press out a bit and gamble, Corley could be the one who stayed back and played consistent crease D.

Love to see Makar take a massive jump forward as the #1 this year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Realguy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Gotta love the loyalty Cooter but Figures don't lie and liars don't figure Tim Meuller #'s 2017 20 Caused TO's and 36 GB's in 19 games , Bryce Young's #'s 2018 11 CTO and 21 GB's in 14 games and the games missed may have resulted in some big digits between the cold weather and start of the season. Curtis Corley 2019 #'s 8 CTO and 19 GB's in 17 games. Curtis is a great kid but AA maybe or maybe not.
Defensive numbers like GB and CT are not a very complete story on a defenseman's ability. For example, neither relate to a defenseman's ability at keeping the attackman he is guarding away from the goal.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”