Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Yale 2020

Post by The Orfling »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:52 am TD Ierlan: 'If I Play Again, It’ll Be at Yale'
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ale-/56247
What a great kid. To be clear, I wouldn't blame Ierlan if he played elsewhere as a grad student -- not a bit. IBut this just seems to speak to how much he embraced his time at Yale.
calourie

Post by calourie »

If the Ivies and Yale don't give him an option TD will have plenty of opportunity to ply his trade against the best in the world in either of the US pro leagues. His allegiance to Yale and Shay's program is reassuring to say the least to this Bulldog fan, not so much because I would hate to see him in an opposing uniform, but because it indicates such a devotion to Andy's way of doing things on the part of an undeniable superstar.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Wonder if the fifth year exclusion will help the Ivies in terms of current recruiting because they do not have the "fifth year" issue to deal with?
calourie

Post by calourie »

As I posted on the Ivy League thread, I think not being able to hold on to the departing seniors hurts all the Ivy's next year vis a vis the ACC and BIG, but should give their younger players the advantage of coming back with more meaningful experience than those in those other leagues the following one. I expect Shay's methods and emphasis on team building will result in a very capable squad next spring. One caveat: the country needs to up its' testing game, and someone needs to come up with an effective vaccine for next year's season to become a reasonable probability. As of now the existence of fall ball looks unrealistic.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

calourie wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 pm As I posted on the Ivy League thread, I think not being able to hold on to the departing seniors hurts all the Ivy's next year vis a vis the ACC and BIG, but should give their younger players the advantage of coming back with more meaningful experience than those in those other leagues the following one. I expect Shay's methods and emphasis on team building will result in a very capable squad next spring. One caveat: the country needs to up its' testing game, and someone needs to come up with an effective vaccine for next year's season to become a reasonable probability. As of now the existence of fall ball looks unrealistic.
Looks like Penn will let players come back. Not sure about Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

calourie wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 pm As I posted on the Ivy League thread, I think not being able to hold on to the departing seniors hurts all the Ivy's next year vis a vis the ACC and BIG, but should give their younger players the advantage of coming back with more meaningful experience than those in those other leagues the following one. I expect Shay's methods and emphasis on team building will result in a very capable squad next spring. One caveat: the country needs to up its' testing game, and someone needs to come up with an effective vaccine for next year's season to become a reasonable probability. As of now the existence of fall ball looks unrealistic.
Five months away , much can happen till then but doubt having a proven vaccine is one. As such, bigger question is whether colleges will start on time in fall and what will happen when some cases reemerge. As someone posted, availibilty of widespread testing is likely needed before many activities can return
calourie

Post by calourie »

Found it interesting to see FY BJ Burlace name included in the list of those in the "transfer portal" on the Tranfer Portal thread here on Laxpower. BJ saw very limited action in Yale's first four games (I believe I saw him very briefly on the Man Down D in game one against Villanova). He was a very highly regarded recruit who was almost a certainty to make the USA under 19 final roster. A long stick out of St. Mary's in Maryland with a flair for transition offense, perhaps he felt he wasn't suited for what I suspect is Shay's and the Bulldog's more conservative deployment of their long sticks. Pure supposition on my part, and I wish him well if he does indeed transfer
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

calourie wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm Found it interesting to see FY BJ Burlace name included in the list of those in the "transfer portal" on the Tranfer Portal thread here on Laxpower. BJ saw very limited action in Yale's first four games (I believe I saw him very briefly on the Man Down D in game one against Villanova). He was a very highly regarded recruit who was almost a certainty to make the USA under 19 final roster. A long stick out of St. Mary's in Maryland with a flair for transition offense, perhaps he felt he wasn't suited for what I suspect is Shay's and the Bulldog's more conservative deployment of their long sticks. Pure supposition on my part, and I wish him well if he does indeed transfer
His younger brother also switched his commitment (from Yale to MD, according to Ty Xanders), so that suggests the intention to transfer is fairly firm. If so, I join you in wishing this talented young man all the best wherever he lands.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

stupefied wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 pm
Five months away , much can happen till then but doubt having a proven vaccine is one. As such, bigger question is whether colleges will start on time in fall and what will happen when some cases reemerge. As someone posted, availibilty of widespread testing is likely needed before many activities can return
I agree that fallball is in doubt. I'm wondering if we will see a re-opening of high schools and colleges under a fairly strict social distancing regime: everyone in masks; daily testing (will depend on ubiquity of fast response tests) with provisions for quarantine and contract tracing; no sports or other extracurriculars involving risk (such as choirs/singing). This could work better for local high schools (students could bring a bag lunch from home, they aren't clustered in dorms) than for colleges and boarding schools.

At least a couple smaller colleges, I understand, are looking at contingency plans for October start with an accelerated class schedule to fit in the full semester (longer class days, Saturday classes). I heard this about a couple of smaller West Coast schools but one would assume other colleges are considering as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the spring 2021 lacrosse season will go forward mostly as normal.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:33 am
calourie wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm Found it interesting to see FY BJ Burlace name included in the list of those in the "transfer portal" on the Tranfer Portal thread here on Laxpower. BJ saw very limited action in Yale's first four games (I believe I saw him very briefly on the Man Down D in game one against Villanova). He was a very highly regarded recruit who was almost a certainty to make the USA under 19 final roster. A long stick out of St. Mary's in Maryland with a flair for transition offense, perhaps he felt he wasn't suited for what I suspect is Shay's and the Bulldog's more conservative deployment of their long sticks. Pure supposition on my part, and I wish him well if he does indeed transfer
His younger brother also switched his commitment (from Yale to MD, according to Ty Xanders), so that suggests the intention to transfer is fairly firm. If so, I join you in wishing this talented young man all the best wherever he lands.
Those of us observing from afar on this board had emphasized the five Yale first-years on the US U-19 squad; in the all-too-short 2020 season, Michael Alexander --a straight-up defenseman-- was the only one of those to see much action. First-year Logan Soelberg from Los Angeles, California also saw considerable playing time. This coming Saturday would have been Albany in New Haven; seems like a dream now (sigh).
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Following up on the last post, I think Burlace realized that he wasn't going to see much time at Yale so he moved on. It happens.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am
stupefied wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 pm
I agree that fallball is in doubt. I'm wondering if we will see a re-opening of high schools and colleges under a fairly strict social distancing regime: everyone in masks; daily testing (will depend on ubiquity of fast response tests) with provisions for quarantine and contract tracing; no sports or other extracurriculars involving risk (such as choirs/singing). This could work better for local high schools (students could bring a bag lunch from home, they aren't clustered in dorms) than for colleges and boarding schools.

At least a couple smaller colleges, I understand, are looking at contingency plans for October start with an accelerated class schedule to fit in the full semester (longer class days, Saturday classes). I heard this about a couple of smaller West Coast schools but one would assume other colleges are considering as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the spring 2021 lacrosse season will go forward mostly as normal.
Updating re: next year -- now seeing some media accounts that some colleges are contemplating a January 2021 start for in-person learning. On the one hand, most of the student population of colleges statistically would have a low mortality rate if they contract COVID-19 (although faculty/staff could fall into higher risk categories); on the other hand, the college dorm environment has been compared to cruise ships in terms of tight living quarters, communal dining, etc. So we'll see. Still hoping life is much closer to "normal" -- including spring semester college sports -- in 2021.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A lot of unknowns right now: regarding how the 2020 season might have been, regarding the existence of 2020/21 fall ball and regarding the 2021 regular season. What is known: Yale 2018 National Champions and 2019 National Runners Up; even without 2020 seniors playing for the Bulldogs next year, a high standard has been set and there are reasons for optimism. Given the eligibility rules that Yale, Princeton and some other Ivies have chosen for next year (I believe it remains to be seen how the entire league might go), Yale can get definitely get back to that "chip on the shoulder" outlook. While it is easy enough to focus on TD, Gaudet, Morrill, Hynes, Reeves and others who won't be back next time around, with any luck next year will feature the likes of Fake, Eschbach, Brandau, Tevlin, Starr, Bragg etc., meaning some extremely talented young men. I'm also looking forward to seeing FOGO Neuman step out of TD's shadow and into the spotlight. Also Shay: no matter what head coaching opportunities open up in addition to the JHU job, I'm thinking that Andy will stay. Really though, I'm just hoping we have college lacrosse next spring, as part of a return to normality; the rest would be icing on the cake, and I'll definitely be there at Reese...
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Curious that not one Yale senior has entered the portal yet. I thought that Gaudet would want another year - not sure about the others. TD has obviously said that he is done with collegiate lacrosse.
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 pm Curious that not one Yale senior has entered the portal yet. I thought that Gaudet would want another year - not sure about the others. TD has obviously said that he is done with collegiate lacrosse.
Isn’t Gaudet a STEM major? He may be headed to graduate school?
calourie

Post by calourie »

Dan Artesia at USlaxmagazine has a tweet announcing Matt Gaudet is going pro, entering both indoor and outdoor league drafts. Chris Cloutier skills around the cage. Will be fun to see how he does as a pro. I project huge success. I will miss him as much as I will miss TD. Heck, I'll miss all the seniors but still expect big things from the Bulldogs next spring.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Good for Matt. He was great to watch these last three and a half years and that was a memorable showing in the Elis National Championship run. Surely he will be missed as will the seniors. They contributed greatly.

This has been a terrible lacrosse Spring (excluding here the obviously bigger health and social issues): no Yale lacrosse to root for, no sendoff for a great senior class, Ivy League decision to not allow the players to take Spring semester off or come back as graduate students (double gut punch is souring me on the IL), no seeing another match vs Princeton and Sowers, no great 1 goal games vs Penn including TD vs Gallagher, no seeing Yale vs Cornell and Teat, no Ivy League Tournament, no Cole Porter 'Bulldog' song, no final four, no Handsome Dan parading the field, no Coach Shay and Staff calmly managing the games, no high fives after scores and wins, no tailgates, no road trips on Saturdays. Terrible. Is it just me? Never mind. I know.
Lux et veritas
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Ivy regular season would have been an epic slugfest...
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

I agree that this year was going to be a slugfest because of the parity at the top. Even though I am a Yale fan, I was excited to see Princeton re-emerge under the leadership of Sowers. While it was gratifying to see Princeton as a doormat for so many years, it would've been fun to see if Yale could've slowed down Sowers the way they slowed down Ament. Also an epic year for attackmen in the Ivy League with Sowers, Teat, Morrill and the criminally underrated Gaudet.
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 am I agree that this year was going to be a slugfest because of the parity at the top. Even though I am a Yale fan, I was excited to see Princeton re-emerge under the leadership of Sowers. While it was gratifying to see Princeton as a doormat for so many years, it would've been fun to see if Yale could've slowed down Sowers the way they slowed down Ament. Also an epic year for attackmen in the Ivy League with Sowers, Teat, Morrill and the criminally underrated Gaudet.
Doormat?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”