Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Yale 2020

Post by FannOLax »

And yes, the 2018 Yale was a complete team, with Third Team All American FOGO Conor Mackie neutralizing TD the two times Yale beat Albany. Sorry, couldn't help but mention Mackie with all this FOGO talk.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:36 pm And yes, the 2018 Yale was a complete team, with Third Team All American FOGO Conor Mackie neutralizing TD the two times Yale beat Albany. Sorry, couldn't help but mention Mackie with all this FOGO talk.
Yes! He was a tremendous faceoff guy. It clicked for him a few games into his second year. He just got better and better.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Watched the game on Saturday and I am more convinced than ever that this team will go as far as Shay can develop a midfield on both ends of the field. Goalie - okay, not great but fine. Defense - experienced, strong. Faceoff - best in country. Attack - as good as it gets in NCAA lacrosse. What a year Gaudet is having! But they are getting very little out of the offensive midfield and that has to change if they are going anywhere this year. Tevlin - what a wonderful young man for what he did with the bone marrow transplant last year - appears lost as "the man" on that line. My guess is that Bragg will start to see a lot of first line time as he is the most aggressive of the lot and has the best outside shot. We saw a little bit of that against Michigan on Saturday. Shay indicated earlier this year that this midfield was "very different" from last year's midfield in terms of how they attack the goal. So lots of work to do there if they want to make a run in May. I also believe that the defensive midfield and LSM positions are, at this point, a weakness. We all know that strengths and weaknesses are relative, but that is my view of this team as the Ivy League starts.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Watched some of the You Tube replay video as well as the game against Michigan. Plenty to like and plenty to get better at this week leading up to Saturday's game vs. Cornell up in Ithica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gjEN4YJ-8

Video speaks for itself in terms of performances. I will point out there were a number of defensive midfield reps taken by a #20, a number for which there is no person named on the roster. I would assume someone on the original roster simply switched numbers, but even the box score doesn't have a #20 participating, nor does it account for anyone being #20, even though #20 sscooped up a decent grounder and had bettter footwork out front than some of the more seasoned players Yale has had playing shortstick. Just WHO is that mystery man? As a more general observation there are still too many middies blowing by or getting their hands open against the Bulldog shorties so I wouldn't be surprised if our mystery man sees more playing time against Cornell, who happens to have a whole stable of talented offensive middies. I imagine Shay will have the team properly fired up for this weeks encounter, and that may make a difference in a whole lot of areas as well as with the performances of a number of players. You never know year to year how quickly and well a team is going to learn from its' mistakes and maximize its' potential. No better way to begin to find out than against the #2 team in the country in their own house, just two weeks after getting waylaid by a then unranked UMass, only a week after taking down the then #1 team in the country in yet another away contest.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

With all the hysteria out there, lets hope they have a game on Saturday up at Cornell.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:45 pm Watched the game on Saturday and I am more convinced than ever that this team will go as far as Shay can develop a midfield on both ends of the field. Goalie - okay, not great but fine. Defense - experienced, strong. Faceoff - best in country. Attack - as good as it gets in NCAA lacrosse. What a year Gaudet is having! But they are getting very little out of the offensive midfield and that has to change if they are going anywhere this year. Tevlin - what a wonderful young man for what he did with the bone marrow transplant last year - appears lost as "the man" on that line. My guess is that Bragg will start to see a lot of first line time as he is the most aggressive of the lot and has the best outside shot. We saw a little bit of that against Michigan on Saturday. Shay indicated earlier this year that this midfield was "very different" from last year's midfield in terms of how they attack the goal. So lots of work to do there if they want to make a run in May. I also believe that the defensive midfield and LSM positions are, at this point, a weakness. We all know that strengths and weaknesses are relative, but that is my view of this team as the Ivy League starts.
Looks like Saturday's game is still on, even if severely restricted in terms of attendance. Hope that still allows for ESPN streaming. Agree with the thrust of Lax3's evaluation. Bulldog midfields still have to find their way at both ends of the field. Bragg has been a nice surprise. I also like Soelberg's intensity and skills even though his numbers at this point don't do justice to his potential. It does seem Tevlin has yet to find his comfort level at either end of the field, perhaps pressing or perhaps being called on to do too much. A late thought that I'm adding with an edit is that he was very effective last year with sudden bursts of speed, an asset that he has seldom employed this one. He has shown himself to be a very skilled player who I expect will find an effective role soon enough. Would love to see Cotler be more assertive. I imagine we will see a number of different mixes until the middie production becomes more reliable. Cornell should provide a real test as well as some significant insight vis a vis the Bulldogs capabilities in the middle of the field, which as Lax points out is a critical area in developing a complete team
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

And so Yale's season ends without having played a home game. Here's wishing everyone good health, good luck and a safe return to normality. This April, May, the rest of March will just not be the same....
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm And so Yale's season ends without having played a home game. Here's wishing everyone good health, good luck and a safe return to normality. This April, May, the rest of March will just not be the same....
Ditto
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Same. It is the right decision but I empathize fir all the hard work everyone not just athletes is having to sacrifice
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Really feeling for the Ivy athletes on all spring sports -- seniors in particular -- and of course for these wonderful Yale lax players who have given so much in their time at Yale. I also understand and support how hard this decision must have been for the university administrators. Wishing the best to all in this online community as well. As much as I love lacrosse and mourn the end of Ivy lacrosse this season, this global pandemic will bring grief, loss and hardship to so many. I'm keeping that in mind, always.

I leave my fellow Yalies (and Yale fans) with Bart Giamatti's essay "The Green Fields of the Mind" -- written about baseball and the Red Sox (yes, I'm a fan) but captures the emotional hold that sports can have on us: https://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm And so Yale's season ends without having played a home game. Here's wishing everyone good health, good luck and a safe return to normality. This April, May, the rest of March will just not be the same....
Felt a need to add a note of thanks to all associated with the program ( players and staff) for helping to provide for at least me and I assume most of us in here with such a rich source of entertainment and interest. Be well, everyone.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Was taking a shower and thought, What about all of TD's records? He still did what he did and... For so players/legends, this is awful.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
calourie

Post by calourie »

A loud shout out to Yale lacrosse's 2020 senior class: Ierlan, Wilson, Cotler, Weitzel, Morrill, Renz, Courtney, Ward, Gaudet, Hynes and Selati.
It may well be that most if not all of you have played your last games as Bulldogs. Each and every one of you played a meaningful role in the two most decorated seasons Yale lacrosse has had to date in its 137 (?) year history (TD included though for one of those years he was a member of the worthy opposition). With your incredible work effort and perseverance you furthered a process that elevated the Yale program to the pinnacle of college lacrosse, and had the season continued gave reason for us fans to believe you had a good chance of keeping it there. Memorable achievements to say the least. Thanks for making us all so proud, and good luck with whatever the future brings.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 pm A loud shout out to Yale lacrosse's 2020 senior class: Ierlan, Wilson, Cotler, Weitzel, Morrill, Renz, Courtney, Ward, Gaudet, Hynes and Selati.
It may well be that most if not all of you have played your last games as Bulldogs. Each and every one of you played a meaningful role in the two most decorated seasons Yale lacrosse has had to date in its 137 (?) year history (TD included though for one of those years he was a member of the worthy opposition). With your incredible work effort and perseverance you furthered a process that elevated the Yale program to the pinnacle of college lacrosse, and had the season continued gave reason for us fans to believe you had a good chance of keeping it there. Memorable achievements to say the least. Thanks for making us all so proud, and good luck with whatever the future brings.
Yes. Calourie said it well. These young men: national champions as sophomores, except TD whose transfer in was so instrumental in getting the Elis back to the NCAA final. These student-athletes gave me so many wonderful memories (Selati's goal against Colgate in October 2017 as the team began to take shape for the run to the national title, etc, etc.). Sadly, I didn't get to attend any game with these young men playing as seniors, but I suppose that is fitting. Thank you, thank you to this class of young men whose senior year has been changed so dramatically by the vagaries of a world pandemic. Best of luck to all.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:23 am
calourie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 pm A loud shout out to Yale lacrosse's 2020 senior class: Ierlan, Wilson, Cotler, Weitzel, Morrill, Renz, Courtney, Ward, Gaudet, Hynes and Selati.
Yes. Calourie said it well. These young men: national champions as sophomores, except TD whose transfer in was so instrumental in getting the Elis back to the NCAA final. These student-athletes gave me so many wonderful memories (Selati's goal against Colgate in October 2017 as the team began to take shape for the run to the national title, etc, etc.). Sadly, I didn't get to attend any game with these young men playing as seniors, but I suppose that is fitting. Thank you, thank you to this class of young men whose senior year has been changed so dramatically by the vagaries of a world pandemic. Best of luck to all.
Joining in both of your well-expressed sentiments. Bravo, 2020. Thanks for all you gave to Yale lacrosse.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

calourie, nice post. I'm really hoping this isn't the last we've seen of these seniors at Yale.

Overall, I'm too bummed to comment on the magnitude of everything that is happening around us (but, as silly as it seems to write, I miss lacrosse, Yale lacrosse).
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hard to believe now, but today is the day Yale was scheduled to play its 2020 home opener, at 12 noon against a resurgent Princeton.

Here's something fairly recently added to the official Yale website:
https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2020/3/19 ... rosse.aspx
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Sowers at Yale. Today was supposed to be a big day. A fun day.
Every day I feel disappointed with the Ivy League. I applaud their courage to lead the way with cancelling the spring season. I just keep thinking that although Yale's Seniors (not to mention PU's Sowers & CU's Teat) have been granted another year by the NCAA none of them will be coming to the IVY back due to the Ivy's ridiculous rules. This year is different than anything I have seen in my lifetime and hopefully this is a once in a lifetime event. The Ivy needs to give these kids another year. Could you imagine if the Yale seniors all took grad classes at Fairfield with Bax or at Marquette with Stim? This is possibly the best class ever to come through Yale, no disrespect to Reeves & Co.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

JAFO wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:36 pm Sowers at Yale. Today was supposed to be a big day. A fun day.
Every day I feel disappointed with the Ivy League. I applaud their courage to lead the way with cancelling the spring season. I just keep thinking that although Yale's Seniors (not to mention PU's Sowers & CU's Teat) have been granted another year by the NCAA none of them will be coming to the IVY back due to the Ivy's ridiculous rules. This year is different than anything I have seen in my lifetime and hopefully this is a once in a lifetime event. The Ivy needs to give these kids another year. Could you imagine if the Yale seniors all took grad classes at Fairfield with Bax or at Marquette with Stim? This is possibly the best class ever to come through Yale, no disrespect to Reeves & Co.
I am not sure that I understand your point. Are you upset that the Ivy League started with the shutdown of athletic contests? I think that ship sailed a long time ago and was proven to be prescient. Or are you concerned that they will not allow players to repeat? I think they will but I also think that very, very few kids will do it. It is too costly - there is no money to be made from lacrosse after graduation - and if the kids have a good job they should take it while it is there. Not sure if folks saw that Grant Ament has opted not to come back. Finally, if you are just bummed out about this, join the party! It is crushing to not have lacrosse season. Crushing!!!
calourie

Post by calourie »

The absence of it makes me appreciate how much I enjoy this sport. The level of D1 play overall along with the parity has blossomed over the past ten years with the doubling of the high school talent pool. The shot clock has also been a game changer for the good, and again seemingly without tipping the scales toward the more historically successful programs. I would submit that more than ever the ability to coach 'em up will come into play in these unsettled times and going forward, and it appears Yale is in good hands in that regard with Shay. Let's get this coronavirus thing behind us so that college lacrosse can get back up and running ASAP. Maybe someone can get Trump to use that line to motivate the nation in one of his pressers.

PS. Not referring to this season in case anyone was wondering

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”