Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Voyuer

Re: Yale 2020

Post by Voyuer »

I always love when Non-athlete parents try to tell me Who SHOULD be admitted to a certain prestigious school. Most schools want and need a variety of talented students in various different fields. They do NOT NEED or WANT a student body comprised of kids with PERFECT SAT or ACT scores who built homes for the needy in Rawanda in the summer. There is a box for a few of these students. Yes the students need to be Smart, in order to compete in highly competitive academic settings, but there are a lot of boxes to be filled at well rounded, multi faceted. great academic institutions. And YES that includes a large percentage of athletes.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Voyuer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 am I always love when Non-athlete parents try to tell me Who SHOULD be admitted to a certain prestigious school. Most schools want and need a variety of talented students in various different fields. They do NOT NEED or WANT a student body comprised of kids with PERFECT SAT or ACT scores who built homes for the needy in Rawanda in the summer. There is a box for a few of these students. Yes the students need to be Smart, in order to compete in highly competitive academic settings, but there are a lot of boxes to be filled at well rounded, multi faceted. great academic institutions. And YES that includes a large percentage of athletes.
+1 This is a good post. In 2017, the top 5% of Yale's graduating class (summa cum laude) had a GPA of 3.95 or higher while the top 30% of Yale's graduating class (cum laude) had a GPA of 3.81 or higher. There are a lot of really smart kids at Yale and you need a well rounded community. Yale has done a great job at this in recent years.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 am I think the point some were making is that academic admission standards for recruited athletes are more “forgiving” or “flexible” than for non-athlete applicants. That is unquestionably and undeniably true. That’s true at Yale, Johns Hopkins, Alabama, Michigan ... just about every college that plays intercollegiate sports.

That doesn’t mean some lacrosse players wouldn’t have been admitted if they weren’t recruited lacrosse players. Some would have been admitted. Most probably would not have been admitted to a school like Yale. That’s just the way it is.

Same is true at Hopkins. Chris Watson (Class of 2005) probably had a good chance of getting into most top tier colleges even if he never played lacrosse. Other members of the Hopkins lacrosse team would probably have had a challenging time getting into their own state universities or a competitive regional school like Loyola if it were not for their lacrosse. That’s just the way it is.

As one recent news article reported, the impact of “recruited athlete” admissions is probably even larger at smaller elite schools like Yale, Brown, and Johns Hopkins compared to much larger universities like Michigan. As the article noted, both Michigan and Brown had 910 varsity athletes, but that was a much smaller percentage of students at Michigan than at Brown. Arguably, recruited athlete admissions impacted Brown applicants more than Michigan applicants.

Fair to non-athlete applicants? Depends on your perspective, values, and priorities.

DocBarrister 8-)
Most applicants.... full stop..... probably would not be admitted to Yale, Hopkins, Duke etc.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

At most of the highly competitive schools, you could accept the class randomly and probably have a class that equals the admitted class; except you might not have a quarterback or a first violin or the chemist the dean was dying for because of the published paper she wrote when she was 12. You might also have some pissed-off development officers whose target parents are disappointed that little Johnny wasn't accepted to Old Alma Mater. The day of the well-rounded student has passed to the day of the well-rounded class, and there are lots of constituencies lobbying for a spot at the table, including the AD.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

^ This.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

This x 2
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Wow- looks like Stimmel moving on as well. Wish great luck to both he and Bax. Tough for Shay and the team for sure to lose both at the same time though.
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 pm At most of the highly competitive schools, you could accept the class randomly and probably have a class that equals the admitted class; except you might not have a quarterback or a first violin or the chemist the dean was dying for because of the published paper she wrote when she was 12. You might also have some pissed-off development officers whose target parents are disappointed that little Johnny wasn't accepted to Old Alma Mater. The day of the well-rounded student has passed to the day of the well-rounded class, and there are lots of constituencies lobbying for a spot at the table, including the AD.
A couple of years ago there was Princeton kid who was a starting LSM. He was a high school star at a top prep school, of course - captain of both lacrosse and football. He had also gotten great grades, high board scores, and was active in a number of clubs and organizations.

Not enough? Okay, his mom happened to be an actress on Broadway and in LA. So this kid could also sing and dance. As matter of fact, he had a game at Hopkins one Saturday afternoon, and his mom had to drive him back to Princeton on the hustle because he had the lead in a campus musical that evening!

So, these are the kinds of kids you're up against if you want to get in to places like Yale, Princeton, etc. 90% or whatever it is don't make the cut.
random observer

Post by random observer »

GBMan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 pm At most of the highly competitive schools, you could accept the class randomly and probably have a class that equals the admitted class; except you might not have a quarterback or a first violin or the chemist the dean was dying for because of the published paper she wrote when she was 12. You might also have some pissed-off development officers whose target parents are disappointed that little Johnny wasn't accepted to Old Alma Mater. The day of the well-rounded student has passed to the day of the well-rounded class, and there are lots of constituencies lobbying for a spot at the table, including the AD.
A couple of years ago there was Princeton kid who was a starting LSM. He was a high school star at a top prep school, of course - captain of both lacrosse and football. He had also gotten great grades, high board scores, and was active in a number of clubs and organizations.

Not enough? Okay, his mom happened to be an actress on Broadway and in LA. So this kid could also sing and dance. As matter of fact, he had a game at Hopkins one Saturday afternoon, and his mom had to drive him back to Princeton on the hustle because he had the lead in a campus musical that evening!

So, these are the kinds of kids you're up against if you want to get in to places like Yale, Princeton, etc. 90% or whatever it is don't make the cut.
Not that it changes your point, but the kid in question went to a public school not a prep school. Granted Ridgefield High School is a quality public school.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Congratulations to coach Andrew Stimmel on his hiring by Marquette as their head coach. He did some amazing things for both the offense and defense as an assistant to coach Shay. Here's wishing him well at his new post. Looking forward with great interest to see who Andy Shay signs up to assist with the program going forward now that Baxter and Stimmel have moved on. Yale certainly has an experienced core of players to help with the transition, and Shay seems to have a knack for picking quality assistants, so I'm optimistic that very little turmoil will be created by the turnover.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Yes, congrats to Coach Stimmel, in addition to Coach Baxter!

The Shay coaching tree grows.

That's quite a lot of change in one off-season, So, who will replace them?
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

While we're waiting on news about the coaching situation, I will say that the Yale Long Island pipeline to Smithtown East appears to be continuing in the person of Justin Carroll, class of 2020. Like Smithtown E grads John Danigellis and Luke Eschbach, Carroll looks like a two-way midfielder, capable of playing defense, clearing and scoring... also looks like he'll probably want to add some muscle. Oh, and he appears to be very capable academically.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Volunteer Coach Ed Williams is an excellent coach who knows how things work in New Haven. Hope he gets a shot at a coordinator position.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 pm ...On a side note it was pointed out on championship weekend that Matt Brandau was indeed valedictorian at Boys Latin last year, so Yale has at least one valedictorian that we know of.
Still a great accomplishment, but Matt was salutatorian. http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-la ... h?view=bio A little research found that the valedictorian was not his twin brother, who has thrown his hat into the transfer ring.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 pm Volunteer Coach Ed Williams is an excellent coach who knows how things work in New Haven. Hope he gets a shot at a coordinator position.
Inside Lacrosse is saying he's defensive coordinator, with Tom Compitello also expected to be hired. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... vard/54913
calourie

Post by calourie »

Speed watched the UA AA game replay and liked what I saw from the three Yale participants. Hackler and Burlace stood out with lefty attackman S. Wilson playing a lesser but effective role. I bring up the lefty aspect as I think that having a couple of lefties available for EMO is a real asset. Burlace looks to be as offensive minded as I've seen in a Yale LSDM over the past few glory years. I"ll be interested to see how Shay and new DC Ed Williams work him in. Quint appears to be quite taken by this year's recruiting class. Looking forward to seeing what all the newcomers can do.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

BJ Burlace will make an immediate impact at Yale. I am happy he is going to a team I like to watch, so I can continue to watch him play. My guess is that the Yale coaching staff will figure out he is a serious weapon by the end of fall.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

And with 4-year starting LSDM Robert Mooney having just graduated, BJ Burlace would appear to be arriving at an opportune time.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Voyuer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:14 pm BJ Burlace will make an immediate impact at Yale. I am happy he is going to a team I like to watch, so I can continue to watch him play. My guess is that the Yale coaching staff will figure out he is a serious weapon by the end of fall.
Watching Yale these past few years, it would appear that Andy Shay has a pretty good eye and intuition for recognizing/developing skilled players, and inserting them effectively into his system regardless of the make-up of his assistants. Mooney impressed me from day one with his stick handling as a longpole, and developed into Yale's best long pole threat over his career, but there was always a defense first mentality about his game that I think goes hand in glove with the Shay philosophy. Whether Burlace gets unleashed offensively will likely depend on how well as he does as a defender first. Poles like Farrare at Penn and Paparo at UMass who are tremendously exiting to watch, operate or operated in systems a bit less buttoned down, and perhaps Shay and Williams will allow Burlace the same freedom. We shall see.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

It would certainly be great if Burlace is as good as Voyuer says (and I have no reason to doubt it) and can step into a big LSM role as a first-year. At the same time, the recent graduations of Sessa, Tigh, Danigellis and Forst mean that we'll be seeing plenty of change at offensive midfield. Tevlin and Cotler are the clearest options to step into first-line middie duties, while Kuttin saw playing time as a frosh and could contend. Eschbach did well at SSDM this past season, contributing a few key goals; he went to the same LI high school as Danigellis and might have a similar ability to function as a two-way middie. In fall ball 2017/18, Cabrera impressed, but for a variety of reasons (including injury in 2019) has seen precious little playing time; I wonder if he'll play a role in 2020. Of course, there might be an incoming first-year or two capable of seeing short-stick middie playing time in 2020, but I won't be ready to name names until I've seen some fall ball and/or February lacrosse.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”