Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Yale 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:18 am Comments section is brutal, rich white boy elitist lax boys getting their way again as usual. Tough crowd.
Hey, maybe this'll motivate Cornell to call the Menonites and have them throw up a pole barn for an indoor practice facility right quick.
Generally I stay away from comments sections. I went back and took a look. Yale has carried much of New Haven on its back. This is good for Yale and good for the area. I hope with the new facilities, new restrictions aren’t put on field use. That old armory and stable (I believe) were eye sores. I love the current field house. I like the fact that it looks abandoned on the outside but is very nice on the inside.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, I've sure got no problem with it, am happy the Bulldogs got a new dog house, good for them.

Welcome to the playground, Kismet.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Had to laugh at the comment the roster was all guys and except for one Latino all white. All guys???

In the event the upgrade is long overdue. My daughter played on the last NCAA tourney team. We know.

The funding has a very deep pocket. Coincidentally sk does another push in lacrosse.

The New Haven Yale situation has been less that it could be. Wealth in close proximity with poverty brings conflict just as in the case of JHU and Baltimore. I haven’t followed it for many years so don’t know it’s status now
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

David Anderson, Culver Academy class of 2020 signed National Letter of Intent to play lacrosse at Yale. A Canadian who has played for Team Iroquois, David looks like a promising attackman/midfielder.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/01/15/p ... -anderson/
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I thought the Ivies did not participate in NLIs as they don't offer athletic scholarships???? Not limited to 12.5 schollies either.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:44 am I thought the Ivies did not participate in NLIs as they don't offer athletic scholarships???? Not limited to 12.5 schollies either.
It’s a ceremonial signing.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am David Anderson, Culver Academy class of 2020 signed National Letter of Intent to play lacrosse at Yale. A Canadian who has played for Team Iroquois, David looks like a promising attackman/midfielder.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/01/15/p ... -anderson/
Is he the first Culver kid at Yale? I wish him luck and hope he does well. I am partial to their players.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Colin Courtney, who missed last season through injury, is a Culver grad on Yale's roster.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:33 am Colin Courtney, who missed last season through injury, is a Culver grad on Yale's roster.
Thanks.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm
Voyuer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:14 pm BJ Burlace will make an immediate impact at Yale. I am happy he is going to a team I like to watch, so I can continue to watch him play. My guess is that the Yale coaching staff will figure out he is a serious weapon by the end of fall.
Watching Yale these past few years, it would appear that Andy Shay has a pretty good eye and intuition for recognizing/developing skilled players, and inserting them effectively into his system regardless of the make-up of his assistants. Mooney impressed me from day one with his stick handling as a longpole, and developed into Yale's best long pole threat over his career, but there was always a defense first mentality about his game that I think goes hand in glove with the Shay philosophy. Whether Burlace gets unleashed offensively will likely depend on how well as he does as a defender first. Poles like Farrare at Penn and Paparo at UMass who are tremendously exiting to watch, operate or operated in systems a bit less buttoned down, and perhaps Shay and Williams will allow Burlace the same freedom. We shall see.
It will be interesting to see how Burlace is utilized. The idea of unleashing him offensively prompts me to mention that Luke Eschbach had four goals and an assist last season as SSDM (including a goal against Penn State in the NCAA semi-final), so there would seem to be the potential to play a bit like Brown circa 2016, with fast transitions out of defense allowing D middies to go for goal. We shall see.

Speaking of midfielders, Tevlin is statistically Yale's top returning offensive midfielder, having scored 14 goals and 20 assists in a season in which he missed several games because of donating bone marrow. I also think he has a terrific lacrosse IQ, doing things that don't show up on the stat sheet (i.e., jumping back into the defensive half of the field so a long pole could carry the clear without a penalty). Yes, I'm biased, but I think Tev, a junior now, has the potential to be, say, a 3rd Team All American. Cotler had 16 goals and ten assists in 2019, and would a likely candidate to join Tev in a new-look 1st-line O midfield. Cropp had eight goals and three assist last year, and I expect he'll be one of a big pack of Bulldogs vying for the third starting O midfield job. Kuttin, a Chaminade graduate (like Tigh) saw some meaningful playing time last year, while incoming first-years Hackler and Monfort played for the USA Under-19 team and could well vie for playing time. Finally, I'll mention two young men who were injured last year: junior Cabrera (who looked terrific on fall-ball day his first year, but hasn't yet had the chance to showcase his talent in the spring) and senior Courtney. There may be more strong middie candidates (Selati? Wilson? Wornow? etc, etc.), and I think that in spite of Sessa, Tigh and Danigellis having graduated, the Elis' midfield could be very strong in 2020.
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insid ... 26-players

Five Bulldogs FYs on the final US U19 Lacrosse rosteer: D men Alexander and Burlace, Middies Hackler and Monfort, as well as Goalie Paquette. Congrats to all five. I'm not sure when the team gets together again to get ready for next summer's world tourney, but I'm looking forward to see if any of these or any other of Yale's FYs make some noise this coming spring.

Lots of unknowns about how the Bulldog midfield situation shakes out this coming season, but I will put out a note here that I expect the position to be extremely well manned when considering the experience of many of the returnees as well as the considerable potential of many of the lesser used veterans and FYs. Middies who have seen plenty of front line action include standouts Tevlin and Cotler at the offensive end, SSDMs Renz, Eschbach, Ocken, and LSDM Ward. Christian Cropp has also seen some significant minutes on O as well. Miguel Cabrera looked like he was going to see some meaningful minutes last year before he blew out his knee in game one. It can be assumed 2018 Nassau POY Kuttin has some noteworthy skills and lacrosse I.Q., as can likely be inferred about the talents of Hackler and Monfort by virtue of their inclusion on the final US U19 roster. Burlace has great potential as a LSDM along those lines as well. I suppose I could include the entire roster of other, unnamed middies as also having the potential to become significant contributors in that I think Shay and staffs' recruiting appears to have reached the point where anyone they land has enough skill to make an impression given a strong enough desire to do the work required to fit into the system. 10 weeks until practice starts.
Last edited by calourie on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insid ... 26-players

Five Bulldogs FYs on the final US U19 Lacrosse rosteer: D men Alexander and Burlace, Middies Hackler and Monfort, as well as Goalie Paquette. Congrats to all five. I'm not sure when the team gets together again to get ready for next summer's world tourney, but I'm looking forward to see if any of these or any other of Yale's FYs make some noise this coming spring.

Lots of unknowns about how the Bulldog midfield situation shakes out this coming season, but I will put out a note here that I expect the position to be extremely well manned when considering the experience of many of the returnees as well as the considerable potential of many of the lesser used veterans and FYs. Middies who have seen plenty of front line action include standouts Tevlin and Cotler at the offensive end, SSDMs Renz, Eschbach, Ocken, and LSDM Ward. Christian Cropp has also seen some significant minutes on O as well. Miguel Cabrera looked like he was going to see some significant minutes last year before he blew out his knee in game one. It can be assumed 2018 Nassau POY Kuttin has some significant skills and lacrosse I.Q., as can likely be inferred about the talents of Hackler and Monfort by virtue of their inclusion on the final US U19 roster. Burlace has great potential as a LSDM along those lines as well. I suppose I could include the entire roster of other, unnamed middies as also having the potential to become significant contributors in that I think Shay and staffs' recruiting appears to have reached the point where anyone they land has enough skill to make an impression given a strong enough desire to do the work required to fit into the system. 10 weeks until practice starts.
Congratulations to those young men. It’s a great experience for them.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

calourie wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insid ... 26-players

Lots of unknowns about how the Bulldog midfield situation shakes out this coming season, but I will put out a note here that I expect the position to be extremely well manned when considering the experience of many of the returnees as well as the considerable potential of many of the lesser used veterans and FYs. Middies who have seen plenty of front line action include standouts Tevlin and Cotler at the offensive end, SSDMs Renz, Eschbach, Ocken, and LSDM Ward. Christian Cropp has also seen some significant minutes on O as well. Miguel Cabrera looked like he was going to see some significant minutes last year before he blew out his knee in game one. It can be assumed 2018 Nassau POY Kuttin has some significant skills and lacrosse I.Q., as can likely be inferred about the talents of Hackler and Monfort by virtue of their inclusion on the final US U19 roster. Burlace has great potential as a LSDM along those lines as well. I suppose I could include the entire roster of other, unnamed middies as also having the potential to become significant contributors in that I think Shay and staffs' recruiting appears to have reached the point where anyone they land has enough skill to make an impression given a strong enough desire to do the work required to fit into the system. 10 weeks until practice starts.
Roster is not final
calourie

Post by calourie »

Thanks for the correction Young Warrior. Read where the final roster of 23 requires 3 more cuts. Congrats nonetheless to the Bulldogs who made it this far.
Typical Lax Dad

Young Warrior wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Roster is not final
That’s the team. They may not all dress. I don’t believe there will be anymore cuts. Also injuries occur so there is some insurance.
calourie

Post by calourie »

According to the USlaxmagazine article I cited, international rules only allow a roster of 23.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm According to the USlaxmagazine article I cited, international rules only allow a roster of 23.
Yes. I saw that. The game tournament roster is 23. I don’t believe there will be another “cut”. I have not looked back at the last cycle. Nevertheless, it’s quite an achievement for these guys.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Re: the US U19 squad, the articles I read did reference the coaches having to “pare down” the final roster to 23 from 26 and included a quotation about how it would be difficult and that it would mainly be about choosing the positions they needed. Here’s the Inside Lacrosse take: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/u-s- ... ssion=true

As TLD suggests, it may well be that injuries will make the decision for the coaches. Regardless, it’s a great accomplishment for the 5 Yale first-years to have made it this far in the process, and fingers crossed they will be competing for the USA in the tourney itself. The recent game experience (including Paquette coming into the second half of a game with the U.S. down and needing to make some key saves) seems like a great maturing opportunity for all five.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 am Re: the US U19 squad, the articles I read did reference the coaches having to “pare down” the final roster to 23 from 26 and included a quotation about how it would be difficult and that it would mainly be about choosing the positions they needed. Here’s the Inside Lacrosse take: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/u-s- ... ssion=true

As TLD suggests, it may well be that injuries will make the decision for the coaches. Regardless, it’s a great accomplishment for the 5 Yale first-years to have made it this far in the process, and fingers crossed they will be competing for the USA in the tourney itself. The recent game experience (including Paquette coming into the second half of a game with the U.S. down and needing to make some key saves) seems like a great maturing opportunity for all five.
The majority of the kids that played last cycle went on to do big things in college. I am surprised the kid from Navy is still in the mix as he will have a conflict. May open a spot for defender to be rostered. I really don’t remember there being one last cut.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:04 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 am Re: the US U19 squad, the articles I read did reference the coaches having to “pare down” the final roster to 23 from 26 and included a quotation about how it would be difficult and that it would mainly be about choosing the positions they needed. Here’s the Inside Lacrosse take: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/u-s- ... ssion=true

The majority of the kids that played last cycle went on to do big things in college. I am surprised the kid from Navy is still in the mix as he will have a conflict. May open a spot for defender to be rostered. I really don’t remember there being one last cut.
That's right about the success of the prior U19 squad -- here's hoping that trend continues. Re: the Navy commit, Bonitz (who is fantastic - have seen him play), if he goes first to NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School) I don't believe there would be a conflict. Induction Day at NAPS (when the new class reports) usually comes in the last full week of July and I believe the Worlds ends July 18.

In the meantime, let's go Elis football, fighting at the Yale Bowl for a share of the Ivy title today if they can win The Game. (Game is on ESPNU)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”