Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Yale 2020

Post by pcowlax »

5 Yale commits in the final 30 for U-19, remarkable.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that OSU and Yale have 9/30 on the squad, fwiw.
pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm 5 Yale commits in the final 30 for U-19, remarkable.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm Don’t think it’s a coincidence that OSU and Yale have 9/30 on the squad, fwiw.
pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm 5 Yale commits in the final 30 for U-19, remarkable.
It seems obvious that Yale's inordinate number of initial U-19 prospects on the list of 100 was due to the presence of coach Stimmel as one of coach Meyers assistants. Now that Andrew has accepted the position of head coach at Marquette along with his position as a U-19 assistant, the inclusion of 5 Elis on the remaining pared down list of 32 prospects has more of the feel of legitimacy than it would have were Stimmel still connected with Yale, but the apparent coziness of the outcome still can't be denied. Whiff of nepotism notwithstanding, congratulations to the five Bulldog recruits still with a chance to represent the US which include 2019s Burlace, Hackler, Alexander, Paquette, and Monfort. Any of them who survive the final cut will make watching the U-19 tournament considerably more of a draw for me. In addition from a Yale lacrosse perspective I have a feeling that any further work the 5 selected Bulldogs do with Stimmel will have nothing but upside in terms of those players getting more acclimated to what will be expected of them in trying to integrate with the Shay/Yale way of doing things.
Last edited by calourie on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

calourie wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:00 am
Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm Don’t think it’s a coincidence that OSU and Yale have 9/30 on the squad, fwiw.
It seems obvious that Yale's inordinate number of initial U-19 prospects on the list of 100 was due to the presence of coach Stimmel as one of coach Meyers assistants. Now that Andrew has accepted the position of head coach at Marquette along with his position as a U-19 assistant, the inclusion of 5 Elis on the remaining pared down list of 32 prospects has more of the feel of legitimacy than it would have were Stimmel still connected with Yale, but the apparent coziness of the outcome still can't be denied. Whiff of nepotism notwithstanding, congratulations to the five Bulldog recruits still with a chance to represent the US which include 2019s Burlace, Hackler, Alexander and Paquette, and well as 2020 Monfort. Any of them who survive the final cut will make watching the U-19 tournament considerably more of a draw for me. In addition from a Yale lacrosse perspective I have a feeling that any further work the 5 selected Bulldogs do with Stimmel will have nothing but upside in terms of those players getting more acclimated to what will be expected of them in trying to integrate with the Shay/Yale way of doing things.
The US Lacrosse site and Inside Lacrosse say Monfort is HS class of 2019. Is he doing a PG year?
calourie

Post by calourie »

The US Lacrosse site and Inside Lacrosse say Monfort is HS class of 2019. Is he doing a PG year?
[/quote]

My bad. I've been following Monfort for the past couple of years and lost track of his class. I'm editing my initial post to reflect your correction.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There is an article about Burlace in the Annapolis Capital.

www.capitalgazette.com. On my cell and can’t do the link right now. Good article
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:08 am There is an article about Burlace in the Annapolis Capital.

www.capitalgazette.com. On my cell and can’t do the link right now. Good article
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/h ... story.html

The article certainly paints a picture of a player who would fit in perfectly with the Yale lacrosse culture.
Nereo12

Post by Nereo12 »

I think it will be in Quarterfinals at least
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Incoming first-year Pat Hackler: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4665710/5b ... 0d1c417c07

He is one of the Yale commits who is in the US U19 training team... but when I looked for videos of him, many were of him playing quarterback for his upstate NY high school.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:20 am Incoming first-year Pat Hackler: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4665710/5b ... 0d1c417c07

He is one of the Yale commits who is in the US U19 training team... but when I looked for videos of him, many were of him playing quarterback for his upstate NY high school.
:shock: :shock:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

It’s been a while for me, but good to be back and catching up with the good analysis on this forum. (I’m glad I was absent from the wider FanLax forum when everyone apparently thought that Yale was becoming the transfer destination for every big time transfer prospect).

What I think we’ll see in 2019 - 2020:
1. A continued good year for the offense: Yale is losing some a LOT in the midfield but has some great returning offensive midfielders, both in talent and depth, and the close in attack will continue to be the envy of many. I will be savoring another season of watching Brandau and Morrill, in particular, work together.

2. Defensive midfield: The Warner/Alessi combo was as good as it ever gets and is a hard standard to measure up against, even a another year later! But interesting to see how the unit pulls together. Renz got good experience and is returning, which is a plus. Robert Mooney is a major loss at LSM but maybe, as another poster opined, Burlace will make an impact there.

3. Close defense: They’ll be better with all three starters returning as well as DeMuth, who saw a fair amount of time last year. Still, a lot will depend on whether the defensive midefield can gel — no defense looks all that good if they have to slide constantly.

4. Goal: I believe we may see a full-on competition in goal. While all the attention might focus on incoming freshman Jared Paquette, who made the U19 Training Team, I would not be surprised to see sophomore Miles Leniw, who played for Delbarton, a top program, in HS, make a case for himself. Leniw did not get much time last year, but made some nice-looking saves against Harvard. Yale has a 2-year veteran in the goal in #23, but a fairly low save percentage over the two years suggests to me that a real competition could happen.

We will miss Coach Stimmel and Coach Baxter — wishing both of them all the luck in the world — but I have confidence that Coach Shay has put together another excellent staff. Bottom line: this is the Golden Age of Yale lacrosse and I’m grateful for the opportunity to cheer on the team.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 pm It’s been a while for me, but good to be back and catching up with the good analysis on this forum. (I’m glad I was absent from the wider FanLax forum when everyone apparently thought that Yale was becoming the transfer destination for every big time transfer prospect).

What I think we’ll see in 2019 - 2020:
1. A continued good year for the offense: Yale is losing some a LOT in the midfield but has some great returning offensive midfielders, both in talent and depth, and the close in attack will continue to be the envy of many. I will be savoring another season of watching Brandau and Morrill, in particular, work together.

2. Defensive midfield: The Warner/Alessi combo was as good as it ever gets and is a hard standard to measure up against, even a another year later! But interesting to see how the unit pulls together. Renz got good experience and is returning, which is a plus. Robert Mooney is a major loss at LSM but maybe, as another poster opined, Burlace will make an impact there.

3. Close defense: They’ll be better with all three starters returning as well as DeMuth, who saw a fair amount of time last year. Still, a lot will depend on whether the defensive midfield can gel — no defense looks all that good if they have to slide constantly.

4. Goal: I believe we may see a full-on competition in goal. While all the attention might focus on incoming freshman Jared Paquette, who made the U19 Training Team, I would not be surprised to see sophomore Miles Leniw, who played for Delbarton, a top program, in HS, make a case for himself. Leniw did not get much time last year, but made some nice-looking saves against Harvard. Yale has a 2-year veteran in the goal in #23, but a fairly low save percentage over the two years suggests to me that a real competition could happen.

We will miss Coach Stimmel and Coach Baxter — wishing both of them all the luck in the world — but I have confidence that Coach Shay has put together another excellent staff. Bottom line: this is the Golden Age of Yale lacrosse and I’m grateful for the opportunity to cheer on the team.
Great to see your input, Orfling. Very interesting point about competition in goal. #23 was a big step up for Yale, replacing someone who had started (although not every game) the previous two years; but of course a Shay hallmark is always looking for someone better. Since Morrill and Gaudet arrived to start in 2017, Yale has always had at least one frosh make an immediate impact. With five incoming first-years in the US U19 set-up, fall ball should be especially interesting this year... I really hope to make it to the October scrimmages(s) this year. Yes, Warner/Alessi set a very high standard; but then, so did the whole of that 2018 team. Eschbach looked good in 2019 at SSDM, but as I've mentioned in a previous post, I could see him becoming more of a two-way or offensive middie. This is indeed the golden age of Yale lacrosse, and I also see the potential for improving Ivy competition getting three League teams into the 2020 NCAA dance.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

FannOLax, Orfling, OCanada, others, really appreciate the updates. Can't wait for the Fall Lax updates then short time to the 2020 season. Keep 'em coming.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Jack Monfort, middie on US U19 training team, from Syosset LI (same high school as Cotler):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ozSILmyVc
He can definitely score (including two with a long pole, although most with a short stick) and assist...
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice to see more of Monfort's potential. Given his inclusion through the cut down to 32 on the U-19 squad I would say he has been running a bit under the radar.

From afar (timewise) I see tremendous potential in Yale's 2020 edition. I anticipate a more cohesive defensive effort with all of the returnees, which will hopefully lead to a higher save percentage from whoever gets selected to man the cage. I like both Ocken and Eschbach as SSDMs as well as Ward with a longstick, and hope they will be even better this year. I look forward with interest to see who are the replacements on the various line on the offensive side of the midfield. There's enough returning experience and talent there to not cause undo consternation. Barring injury I imagine the attack will be one of the strongest units in the country.

Maintaining intensity among a group of young men who have experienced a high level of success, and passing on the ehtic that got them there will be the task of this year's staff which doesn't have a long history of working together, but then again Andy Shay is no stranger to turnover and has managed to work with a number of different assistants with very little turmoil. I'll assume that will be the case again until proven otherwise.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

[url]https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... le_fields/[/url

I thought Yale always bragged about how it wasn't about the locker rooms but the team culture.
Guessing that might change.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

seriously? wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am [url]https://www.newhavenindependent.org/ind ... le_fields/[/url

I thought Yale always bragged about how it wasn't about the locker rooms but the team culture.
Guessing that might change.
I think it’s a great development — a new field house that’s dedicated to two sports and four teams (men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s lacrosse). I recall the days when the field house contained, from what I remember, both soccer teams, both lacrosse teams, tennis, field hockey, and football (and maybe softaball too?). We had a lot of fun getting to know the athletes in the various sports but that was a crowded training room.

This announcement follows up on the successful completion of a dedicated field house shared by the Yale Field Hockey and Yale Softball programs, as well as on the massive multi-year renovation/expansion of the Payne Whitney Gym (aka “the Cathedral of Sweat”) which has given a boost to the facilities used by the non-field sports teams as well as student rec athletic spaces. Anybody remember that weird little room with the sloping floors and the wood and leather “horse” in the middle in which a chap could practice a chukker of polo in the winter months?

Yale teams made do on a shoestring for a long time when it came to facilities — happy to hear that this generation of athletes are getting some great upgrades. Boola boola!
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I think that wood and leather "horse" is still there---4th floor?
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Yes, the field house is a good development. As many of us know, the cold wet snowy weather during New Haven winters can sometimes result in unplayable conditions. In those cases, having an indoor venue will allow practices to take place. Will they similarly use it for bad weather games here and there? However, for the most part, 'seriously?', I anticipate no change to continued outdoor practices, games, and, certainly, culture (Shay would never allow it).
Lux et veritas

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”