Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxjuris

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by laxjuris »

Cornell's announcement does say that for events that participants will be strictly limited to 3 guests, so while maybe I'm grasping as straws, perhaps the athletic teams will continue to be able to participate.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Our resume just got stronger as did our SOS with Ohio State beating ND.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxjuris wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:36 pm Cornell's announcement does say that for events that participants will be strictly limited to 3 guests, so while maybe I'm grasping as straws, perhaps the athletic teams will continue to be able to participate.
It's one way to keep spirits up for students. Also, on an empty campus, the risks to the student athletes is low.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

From the President's statement:
We will be asking all undergraduate students and many professional degree students to leave campus at the start of spring break and to remain at their permanent home residence, completing their semesters remotely. (When essential, we will honor requests for exemptions.)
Are athletics "essential"? My guess is no.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm
laxjuris wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:36 pm Cornell's announcement does say that for events that participants will be strictly limited to 3 guests, so while maybe I'm grasping as straws, perhaps the athletic teams will continue to be able to participate.
It's one way to keep spirits up for students. Also, on an empty campus, the risks to the student athletes is low.
I'm guessing it will be an Ivy League decision whether to cancel the spring athletic season. Are other leagues curtailing attendance at games?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Trumansburger wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm
I'm guessing it will be an Ivy League decision whether to cancel the spring athletic season. Are other leagues curtailing attendance at games?
I've been thinking about it based on CU77's recent post. My guess is that at some level, the university's biggest concern needs to be regarding legal liability. While the odds of a healthy 20ish male athlete dying from COVID-19 are extremely low, perhaps the risk is too great in case something goes wrong. With all recognition of the public health crisis that everyone is trying to prevent, it is unfortunate that the year Men's and Women's Ice Hockey are ranked #1 and Men's Lacrosse is close, that these seasons might end prematurely.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Per President Pollacks Communique

Attendance at athletic events will be severely restricted to three guests per team member. More details on specific events will be forthcoming.

I believe Brown has a similar policy.
At this point I think Penn and Dartmouth are the only members who haven't announced going to online instruction.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 pm From the President's statement:
We will be asking all undergraduate students and many professional degree students to leave campus at the start of spring break and to remain at their permanent home residence, completing their semesters remotely. (When essential, we will honor requests for exemptions.)
Are athletics "essential"? My guess is no.
In the statement, the President discusses athletics after talking about essential and non-essential activities, so I think for now athletic contests are still on.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I sent Admin a message on Monday informing him/her that the time indicator wasn't advanced an hour after the time change. So add an hour to each post until Admin corrects.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Such a sad state of affairs. I don't want to criticize the people who have to make these difficult decisions, but I feel so bad for the players and their families. What a team we have this year, and to see it come to an abrupt end is heartbreaking.

Good health to everyone.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Linked to Ithaca Journal story Ivy League cancelling all Spring Sports.

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/spo ... 023796002/
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I waited a long time for Cornell to have a team like this. Heartbreaking, but I understand the reasoning. Best of health to all.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxjuris wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 pm Such a sad state of affairs. I don't want to criticize the people who have to make these difficult decisions, but I feel so bad for the players and their families. What a team we have this year, and to see it come to an abrupt end is heartbreaking.

Good health to everyone.
Agreed. A terrible situation.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The proper decision.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

dp68 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm I waited a long time for Cornell to have a team like this. Heartbreaking, but I understand the reasoning. Best of health to all.
Ivy League should adjust rules for players to pick up their year of elagibility at their undergrad school as graduate student or even just additional credits as an undergraduate post graduation.

Need some type of option for the players.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

If this indeed is the last year for the seniors (assuming the NCAA doesn't give some type of exemption next year), then let me just say that the past 4 years have been awesome and you have clearly made Cornell an elite lacrosse program again. It's little solace but you finished your career 5-0 , and ranked 2nd in the nation.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

well said. very sad.

perhaps a good lesson though for the young adults- sometimes, it just sucks, life isnt fair, and timing is never optimal.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Best of luck to all players, and especially the seniors. You gave us lots of joy and made us proud of your accomplishments on and off the field.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Over on the Yale thread, someone said, the Ivy League plans to request a blanket waiver/extra year for all spring sport athletes. So seniors may have the option of playing next year, but they'd have to be either independently wealthy and not needing to work, or they'd be in grad school.

How would that work out?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”