Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by another fan »

2020 captains are Salvatore, Teat, Fletcher and Donville.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Cornell held its Alumni Weekend that included an intrasquad game followed by a scrimmage vs Hill Academy that included primarily sophomore and freshman players. I believe it was the first organized practice session of the fall season. The teams for the intrasquad looked to be evenly split. Some observations on offensive players below. Hard to focus on defense, FOGO and goalies. Will report on those groups after Maryland scrimmage.

* the returning 2019 contributors were predictably strong. Teat stayed on perimeter mostly and let others create. Fletcher, Donville, Piatelli, Telesco, Licciardi, Duggan and Wolf were getting space and quality shots with several dropping. Ball movement was pretty crisp with nearly all looking to make the next pass for a better look.

*. Chase I and Caelehn B in goal to start. Both looked good to very good. Will be interesting to see them vs Maryland in a month.

*. For my money, the most compelling emerging player was easily Billy Coyle. He looked great. Had 5-6 goals in intrasquad game from all different spots in different ways. Lefty, righty, dodging, finishing, etc. He looked game ready. Also excelled in Hill scrimmage. He should be an excellent fit as the third attackman in the spring.

*. Henry Follows had the first two goals of the game on slick finishes. He was coming out of the box. Lombardi and Chabot also had nice goals. Both mids and Attack were creating from the top of the box all night in both games.

*. Several frosh did not play - most notably Blake and Petrakis. Recovering from some summer maintenance type procedures I think. Unlikely to play in the fall season. Of the remaining frosh, Mikey Long was impressive in intrasquad. Three goals in total with one from a nice dodge from X and another in a tight finish on the crease in traffic. He looked like he can compete for time at attack. Brian Piatelli also impressive - but mostly in Hill scrimmage. Had 4-5 goals and several good passes. Looked physically much bigger and stronger than in spring high school games. He’s a promising player.

*. The score in the Hill scrimmage was lopsided - approx 16-3 in favor of Red. Hill just not as strong as in recent years. But still a very talented HS team.

All in - the team looked good. Of course they were playing against each other in a fall event, so we should be careful not to get too excited. Maryland scrimmage will be a great test for the young players that look to see meaningful PT this spring.

Hopefully others can provide additional thoughts. LGR!

VF
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

VF --- any additional feedback on Lombardi?
Did he play at attack or as a middie?
If attack, did he go to the net?; he was a real x-dodging threat at Salisbury.
Playing time?
Also, Duggan played as an offensive middie? I've assumed he would be the second or third short stick in the rotation.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Sorry but I don’t have anything more insightful on Lombardi from Friday night. He should get a good chance to shine in Maryland scrimmage. He was definitely on the field a lot - but most of his dodging was from the midfield. There was almost no inverting of middies to attack on the offensive end - but plenty of attackers were dodging from the midfield. I think this was by design at the early stages of fall practice, maybe just as a way for the coaches to see if any of the attackers might be well suited for offensive midfield. I wouldn’t read too much into anything at this point.

VF
another fan

Post by another fan »

Nice campus views. From these limited shots, our big guys do well running up the slope.

https://twitter.com/CornellLacrosse/sta ... 2494090240
rmredlax

Post by rmredlax »

Extremely moving and inspirational...

https://twitter.com/CornellLacrosse/sta ... 1923301377
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

rmredlax wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:40 am Extremely moving and inspirational...

https://twitter.com/CornellLacrosse/sta ... 1923301377
Incredible. What a brave man and what an inspiring showing of team love and support from Big Red athletes and coaches alike.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Update from Ryan Maloney's family:

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryan ... 14/journal

Here's hoping for continued progress!
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Four Cornellians inlcuded in IL's list of top 100 freshmen: www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/3
another fan

Post by another fan »

Frank Ciniglio is an interesting pick at 74. No doubt he has been an excellent player and leader at Ward Melville. However, he tore his acl last fall and tore it again in his first game back this past spring.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Four Cornell recruits in the IL top 100 for next year: Kirst and Follows are "5 star" recruits, while Dalton and Newman also make the top 100 list. Nice to see two poles (Follows and Newman) in there. The other two Canadians, Graham and Cook, and Psyllos could easily be on the list, as well. Sheehan was previously ranked, and the rest of the class (Kephart, Kelleher, and Wallace) also have nice upside. This is an outstanding recruiting class-- hopefully all will make it to Ithaca.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Boys getting at it on the Kopf.

Looks like clips mostly from unsettled drills that favor the Offense - probably even a 4 v 3 design. But good to see them slinging it around. VF

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2kwGeEJP7y ... lfe2vtx2nb
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The PLL has awarded a "George Biordi Hard Hat Award" in its end of season honors. Dominique Alexander won the award.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

OFF-TOPIC: Just watched Dake take his 2nd world rasslin' title. He gave up 2 points. When he won his first Gold,he racked up 37 points and gave up ZERO.

Sorry to intrude.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Duke Reeder, D, St. Ignatius (Calif.) /
@ADVNCLacrosse
@WestCoastStarz
has committed to
@CornellLacrosse
. A promising 6'3, 200-pound cover man who helps make up a strong class of 2021 defenders from Cali:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/49699
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Reeder has a nice combination of size and athleticism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJE3gVSuF0

Given his performance as a sophomore as well as his physical attributes, he has the look of a future starter on the D1 level.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

OOPS.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Hindsight is 20/20 but... Not based on formulas, not based on conjecture, but based on each D1 Mens Team's 3 Best Wins and 3 Worst Losses, Cornell was the #8 team in the NCAAs last season. And they didn't get a play-off bid...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Beginning to peek at upcoming season.

Honestly I’m very encouraged by our Freshman Class with top 10 recruits at attack (#3) midfield (#7) and Face off (#2) with others who could be off the radar and surprise. Hoping a few upperclassmen step up on defense and Ward Melville recruit is under rated. Irelan should be more comfortable leading the defense as well. This team should have solid contributors from all classes. I like what seems to be solid recruiting year over year.... credit to Coach Milliman.

Looking forward to attending the fall game at St. Anthony’s on Oct 13.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

New recruit: Chris Wong, class of ‘21 Att/Mid from the Salesianum School in Delaware.

His highlight package: https://youtu.be/xg0XeYfSEng

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”