Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 am Sure. No mention of that in announcement though and that would be a very tough sell. Why does the sophomore soccer player get to come back and live on campus and play a group sport while the sophomore theater major cannot live in dorm AND all theater performances are cancelled so they can't even live off campus and participate?
One is an inter-collegiate sport and the other is a club. I am not sure the Ivy League schools would do that but they could make the distinction.....I don’t know what to expect. I have seen a fall ball schedule and I thought it might be pre mature.
I don't understand this comment. For theater/dance majors, this is their program of study, arguably much more important to their professional development than inter-collegiate athletics is for a college athlete, the vast majority of whom will go on to professional careers having little-to-nothing to do with their sport(s).

Not trying to be confrontational; just trying to understand your comment and use of the term "club."

If Dance and Theatre are courses or study, then they won’t be shut down like sports. The poster made the equivalency. I was thinking more of clubs or other extra-curricular activities. If I lumped a course of study in there, I was mistaken. A distinction could be made between inter-collegiate sports and clubs and extra curricular activities.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

But it seems they are. “No performances” means no theater performances for theater majors or concerts for music majors. Some of this can be virtual but a lot cannot. And these are actually part of their field of study, things they are graded on and are an integral part of their major. Despite how it looks at times, even at Ohio St. no one is majoring in football, let alone lacrosse. I hope I am wrong but this feels like the same conversation that was had in March regarding all sorts of ways lax might carry on when all of the schools were clearly gearing up to shut down. I don’t see how they can have sports this fall. I emphasize that I don’t agree with this, I would put kids back at school and let them play, it’s just how it looks like it will
shake out. It will be fascinating to see what happens to big time D1 football where there is so much money pushing it to happen but huge rosters and close contact guarantee many teams will be hit hard.
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:54 pm But it seems they are. “No performances” means no theater performances for theater majors or concerts for music majors. Some of this can be virtual but a lot cannot. And these are actually part of their field of study, things they are graded on and are an integral part of their major. Despite how it looks at times, even at Ohio St. no one is majoring in football, let alone lacrosse. I hope I am wrong but this feels like the same conversation that was had in March regarding all sorts of ways lax might carry on when all of the schools were clearly gearing up to shut down. I don’t see how they can have sports this fall. I emphasize that I don’t agree with this, I would put kids back at school and let them play, it’s just how it looks like it will
shake out. It will be fascinating to see what happens to big time D1 football where there is so much money pushing it to happen but huge rosters and close contact guarantee many teams will be hit hard.
I am not saying it will happen. I was giving a rationale someone COULD use versus WILL use. In the case of HP and Y (most of the time), the athlete won’t get any special dispensation. Like you, I believe it makes more sense to get students back on campus. Maybe if a class of student is impacted by distance learning, maybe the coach will have to live without them.

And yes, you can major in football at The Ohio State University. Cardell Jones said he didn’t go to OSU to play School!
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

If Yale keeping sophomores away from campus in the fall, and freshman away in the spring, it’s hard to see a path forward for sports for the entire year, absent a vaccine and/or unless they are considering playing sports minus those students. I imagine this is not a good omen for the rest of the Ivys (and NESCACs) as they tend to follow suit.
calourie

Post by calourie »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am Yale announced their school plans. Most undergrad courses will be remote. Some classes will be allowed back on campus. By that they mean freshman, juniors and seniors in the fall and sophomores, juniors and seniors in the spring. There will be a special summer session in 2021 with some waived course tuition for freshman and sophomores to take classes they are forced to miss so as to stay on track for graduation in 4 years. There will be an announcement from the Ivy league July 8 regarding sports. However, Yale also notes, "In-person classes, meetings, and social gatherings in the fall will be limited. Performances will not be held, and meal service will be substantially modified to eliminate crowded dining rooms.". Given that, there seems to be no way to have sports. Putting aside that the whole sophomore class will be missing, if you can't have any performances or eat together in a dining room, how can you possibly play football? Some sports are more distant than others but the hypocrisy of having sports while canceling everything else would seem too bad an optic to overcome. Unfortunately this seems likely to apply in the spring as well. Missing a class of students, no vaccine, rank hysteria over the risks for college age kids; spring 21 season seems extremely iffy. Sorry to be the bearer of gloom.
I guess we have to wait until the 8th for confirmation, but the guidelines pcow illuminates don't leave me with much hope for Ivy sports this coming year.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 am Sure. No mention of that in announcement though and that would be a very tough sell. Why does the sophomore soccer player get to come back and live on campus and play a group sport while the sophomore theater major cannot live in dorm AND all theater performances are cancelled so they can't even live off campus and participate?
One is an inter-collegiate sport and the other is a club. I am not sure the Ivy League schools would do that but they could make the distinction.....I don’t know what to expect. I have seen a fall ball schedule and I thought it might be pre mature.
I don't understand this comment. For theater/dance majors, this is their program of study, arguably much more important to their professional development than inter-collegiate athletics is for a college athlete, the vast majority of whom will go on to professional careers having little-to-nothing to do with their sport(s).

Not trying to be confrontational; just trying to understand your comment and use of the term "club."

If Dance and Theatre are courses or study, then they won’t be shut down like sports. The poster made the equivalency. I was thinking more of clubs or other extra-curricular activities. If I lumped a course of study in there, I was mistaken. A distinction could be made between inter-collegiate sports and clubs and extra curricular activities.
Yeah, I guess I was reading it as theater/dance/music performances associated with those programs. Shutting those down has a huge impact on people in those areas of studies; not just the performers, but (students studying to become) directors/choreographers, lighting and stage workers, set designers, etc. I mean, if I was in a theater department and I knew a school was shuttering all performances for a year, I would take a year off.

I don't see how a school can shut down a critical component of academic programs like this, and yet work to continue something even riskier that has no direct academic benefit. I mean, maybe at THE Ohio State University, but not the Ivies.
Typical Lax Dad

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah, I guess I was reading it as theater/dance/music performances associated with those programs. Shutting those down has a huge impact on people in those areas of studies; not just the performers, but (students studying to become) directors/choreographers, lighting and stage workers, set designers, etc. I mean, if I was in a theater department and I knew a school was shuttering all performances for a year, I would take a year off.

I don't see how a school can shut down a critical component of academic programs like this, and yet work to continue something even riskier that has no direct academic benefit. I mean, maybe at THE Ohio State University, but not the Ivies.
Man anything goes at The Ohio State University for the first couple of years. It gets better as you move into a major. Graduated programs and STEM stuff is excellent. I when the football fans turned on a player because he wanted to study for a chemistry exam but the football coach said it was lights out. The player was vilified!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I hate to speculate, and have no idea if sports will come back this year, however, the biggest risk is opening and needing to close again.

The biggest challenge there will be the behavior of students off campus, with bars and large outdoor gatherings (block parties) being risky. Students will need to show restraint. This might be a larger problem at Cornell than some other campuses. It was an issue before students went home in March.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I guess you can base policy on wishful thinking and talk of miracles, but the way things are going I'm not optimistic about an Ivy League lacrosse season happening in the first half of 2021. I hope I'm wrong.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 am I guess you can base policy on wishful thinking and talk of miracles, but the way things are going I'm not optimistic about an Ivy League lacrosse season happening in the first half of 2021. I hope I'm wrong.
I don't disagree. We don't have the will power in this country to taken the measures we need to take to get and keep the virus under control.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 am I guess you can base policy on wishful thinking and talk of miracles, but the way things are going I'm not optimistic about an Ivy League lacrosse season happening in the first half of 2021. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm hopeful only in that we'll learn more about this virus as more people get it. We'll mess up but we'll learn from it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I suggest we don’t get to far ahead of ourselves speculating on spring 2021 lacrosse being cancelled. A lot happening both positive and negative including very positive progress on vaccines. I’m choosing to focus more on the positive even if just for self preservation..... Fall sports is a different story...... however I do like the 7 game Ivy schedule and pull it back if needed based on how everything plays out. With Ivy only competition threre is in much more control of detection and practice conditions and at least for football no loss in any post season championships, just the league title.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Now looking for the Ivy to move autumn 2020 sports to spring 2021...
Gorilla Fan

Harvard

Post by Gorilla Fan »

"We anticipate that the Ivy League will issue a decision on July 8 about fall sports competitions and training. Even in the absence of this guidance, we acknowledge that our medium density plan will necessarily place limits on what athletic activities are possible at Harvard this fall. An enhanced focus on wellness will be important for all members of our community. Wellness programming and resources will be developed by the Department of Athletics, Harvard Health Services’ Center for Health and Wellness, the Dean of Students Office and other partnering organizations."

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-decisio ... demic-year
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 am Now looking for the Ivy to move autumn 2020 sports to spring 2021...
Word being that the Powers that be in the Ivies will issue their athletic proclamation tomorrow I will do a little front-running in search of an "I told you so moment" and predict that the 2020-2021 Ivy Athletic engagement will be strictly in league for all sports for the entire year barring a vaccine for the virus. I base this on having read the parameters proposed by HYP in terms of what they have laid out for on campus student participation for the coming year as spelled out in some of the posts above. Hope I'm wrong.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I’m thinking maybe they will cancel all fall sports given the increased level of spread in many states. They are most likely making a plan to have all sports in the spring with just league games against other Ivies. It will be essentially half a normal schedule.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Being reported
Several college football coaches told Bruce Feldman and Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic that the Ivy League is expected to announce Wednesday the postponement of all fall sports - including football - to spring 2021.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Clearly rescheduled Fall sports would have a hard time scheduling out of conference unless this becomes the norm across the board. Would be great to see Spring sports attempt a regular schedule if circumstances permit. But if NOT, hopefully Men’s Ivy Lacrosse will play each other 2x this Spring. Would love that format.
bauer4429 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:38 pm I’m thinking maybe they will cancel all fall sports given the increased level of spread in many states. They are most likely making a plan to have all sports in the spring with just league games against other Ivies. It will be essentially half a normal schedule.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Brett McMurphy twitter

Ivy League expected to announce today its moving football season to spring. However, sources told @Stadium don’t expect FBS to automatically make same decision. Source: “Doubt Ivies have much influence (w/FBS schools). They aren’t as vulnerable financially."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”