Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Ivy League

Post by FannOLax »

I was impressed by the 2019 edition of Brown the two times I saw Bruno in-person; in the ILT the Bears gave Penn a terrific game and were arguably one favorable call away from OT. It seems to me that Brown returns a lot in 2020 and could get back to the national stage. Not following Brown closely, I'd be very interested in reading what the Bruno faithful think about the coming year.
While losing middies Tigh, Daniggelis, Sessa and Forst, LSM Mooney and attackman Rooney to graduation, Yale appears to have a lot of midfield depth and be returning a ton of talent in 2020; could the Ivy favorite for 2020.
A shout out to the Dartmouth faithful: here's hoping that the Big Green improve and win a 2020 League game (or two or three).
Transfers, transfers, what will we see this summer? And who will be Harvard's new head coach? Columbia U in NYC was not a resounding success for the men's tourney (although the weather on Sunday 5 May 2019 didn't exactly cooperate) and I wonder if the League tries something else next year.
Can Opener

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Can Opener »

I was Googling summer lacrosse workouts for our HS/club athletes and came across this letter from one of the Harvard strength and conditioning coaches. It has some pretty interesting insights into the current atmosphere within the lacrosse program. There is no shortage of talent at that school, but it seems the new coach will have to adjust the level of commitment. Sounds as if the strength coach is looking for a little more Yale lacrosse out of this squad.

"May, 2019
Men of Harvard Lacrosse,

For many years now the Harvard Men’s Lacrosse program has been an average program. That is the reality of the situation. The question you must ask yourself is are you ok with being average. I see the answer in your eyes everyday you come in PD to train and that answer is a resounding no. However, I do not get the same answer when we show back up from summer training when far too many guys did not do their job. I do not get the same answer on the field when I see guys pulling up on the hard ground balls or make mental mistakes when they are tired. If you want to be more than an average program than it starts in the summertime when there is nobody to be accountable to but yourself. This is the first true test of the season and it happens away from your coaches and teammates, away from the fans and many months before we lock the gates for our first game.

I believe, as you do, that this program can be much more than average. I believe that the talent and quality of person on this team is more than average. I believe that there is the potential of greatness with this team but that cannot be achieved with average effort. The greater the achievement the greater the effort needed.

It is time to start changing what it means to call yourself a Harvard Men’s Lacrosse player. It is time to start being the mentally tough, hard working, team first, discipline players you are all capable of being. There are no more excuses. It is time to get the job done..."
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

Love the message!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Harvard lacrosse just made a statement in hiring Gerry Byrne.
With Yale's consecutive national-championship games, Penn's step up into the big time, Cornell and Brown.... well, this is really looking like a mighty fine lacrosse conference. 2020 should be fun!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Nice to see the Ivies faring well in the race for HS2021 commitments:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... bers/55477

According to Ty Xanders, the Ivies now have 16 top 100 recruits, second only to the Big 10 with 20 top 100 recruits. The talent is much more evenly distributed in the Ivies when you consider that Hopkins has 6 top 100s and Maryland has 5. Every Ivy except Dartmouth has at least one top 100 so far and Dartmouth is showing some good momentum in recruiting. I suppose that having a team make the final four in three of the last four years and one NC helps with recruiting across the league. This should be a very competitive season for the Ivies once they survive those early season games on short prep time versus the OOC competition.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

A real question in the Ivies is if any team can break out of the strick hierarchy of last season. At the top of the league, Yale, with TD and co will be strong. Penn has some important holes to fill. Cornell loses their "closer" on attack, but is otherwise strong.

Brown returns a lot and will be strong. Princeton, with Sowers as a senior might perform to their potential. Harvard seems to have new life, but faces stiff competition. Dartmouth might have an upset if all things align well for them.

Personally, I think that Yale will be the team to beat, with a real fight to see who merits the Ivy League Tournament beneath them.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:47 am A real question in the Ivies is if any team can break out of the strick hierarchy of last season. At the top of the league, Yale, with TD and co will be strong. Penn has some important holes to fill. Cornell loses their "closer" on attack, but is otherwise strong.

Brown returns a lot and will be strong. Princeton, with Sowers as a senior might perform to their potential. Harvard seems to have new life, but faces stiff competition. Dartmouth might have an upset if all things align well for them.

Personally, I think that Yale will be the team to beat, with a real fight to see who merits the Ivy League Tournament beneath them.
Good overview, Faircornell. I would note that Penn's face-off man, Gallagher, matches up really well against Yale's TD, holding TD to roughly 50%. Yale also has a some important holes to fill, especially with the entire 2019 first-line offensive midfield having graduated. The Penn-Yale game in 2020 should be in New Haven.

It's been two years in a row now that Cornell, Yale, Penn and Brown have played in the ILT, and it will probably be difficult for any of the other three to break that lock. Speaking of the ILT, my sense is that holding at at NYC Columbia wasn't a resounding success, although I understand that the Columbia AD has warmed to the idea of a varsity Lions' lacrosse team as a result of having hosted the tourney.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

I don’t feel so confident in assuming that Yale/Penn/Cornell/Brown will be the four into the ILT. The only prediction I’m willing to make is that 5 Ivy Teams will be ranked in the Top 20 at times this year. I expect Yale and Penn, maybe Cornell to be Top 10 and Brown and Princeton to make appearances in the 15-20 range. Princeton and/or Harvard almost surely get a win over Y/P/C/B and then things will be whacky for the Ivy tie break. Yale losing those middies may be a bigger deal than we expect—but having the F/O play and those three attack returning may make it irrelevant.
Top to bottom though, this might be as strong of an Ivy League we’ve seen in a while.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

This early on, it is pretty clear that Yale, Penn, and Cornell are the top three contenders in the Ivy.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/10/31/e ... vy-league/

However, not mentioned in this article liked above, I think Brown could put together a pretty decent season and maybe surprise some people.
Last edited by Tdemling6 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great article. I think that Sting The Corner makes a very valid point about general Ivy competitiveness and possible "upsets" this coming season.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1190733791213621256

I know that this is a football link, but the Hail Mary that put Dartmouth ahead of Harvard was pretty exciting.

It'll have to tide y'all over until lax season.........
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

https://youtu.be/iFofsWQ0ox0
Picking 2020 D1 Lacrosse Conference Winners: Part 1 (LaxFactor Lacrosse Podcast #61)
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Excellent analysis and good source of information! Many thanks!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Penn at Maryland! Great, tough way to open the season.
Cornell at Albany. Albany is a good program, and Nanticoke... must be cold there today?
Yale at Villanova. Nova has taken the last two v Yale in OT, so tougher than it might look.
Quinnipiac at Brown. A few years ago, Quinny beat Brown in OT, but I think that was a fluke and expect Bruno to take this.
Monmouth at Princeton. Should be an interesting test of the Tigers.
Dartmouth at Merrimack. Merrimack won the last two D2 titles. When I saw them scrimmage Yale, I would not have guessed they were D2 if I hadn't known. Good test for a Green team I hope will improve this year.
No Harvard game. Geez, okay, new coach, is he afraid??

Go Ivies!!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am Penn at Maryland! Great, tough way to open the season.
Cornell at Albany. Albany is a good program, and Nanticoke... must be cold there today?
Yale at Villanova. Nova has taken the last two v Yale in OT, so tougher than it might look.
Quinnipiac at Brown. A few years ago, Quinny beat Brown in OT, but I think that was a fluke and expect Bruno to take this.
Monmouth at Princeton. Should be an interesting test of the Tigers.
Dartmouth at Merrimack. Merrimack won the last two D2 titles. When I saw them scrimmage Yale, I would not have guessed they were D2 if I hadn't known. Good test for a Green team I hope will improve this year.
No Harvard game. Geez, okay, new coach, is he afraid??

Go Ivies!!
Good roundup, Fann. I know you were being facetious on Harvard, but I'd guess that as the only new Ivy head coach this year and trying to install a new offense, new defense, new everything, Coach Byrne and his team think an extra week of teaching without specific game-planning will be most helpful. I'm sure the Harvard players will be raring to go by Feb. 22.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ivy Tournament to be at Hofstra this year:

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/1/22/iv ... -2020.aspx
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 am Good roundup, Fann. I know you were being facetious on Harvard, but I'd guess that as the only new Ivy head coach this year and trying to install a new offense, new defense, new everything, Coach Byrne and his team think an extra week of teaching without specific game-planning will be most helpful. I'm sure the Harvard players will be raring to go by Feb. 22.
Facetious about Hahvaad? Me?? Yes, given the League rules about when fully coached practices can begin, the decision is understandable.

All in all, a very good day for the Ivy. All Ancient Eight teams playing at home held the home-court advantage, with Brown downing Quinnipiac 11-7 and an impressive scoreline for Princeton, downing Monmouth 20-9. Could Princeton be ready to re-stake its claim and give Sowers the senior year his play so richly merits? Columbia's club team Lions defeated the ASA College Avengers 5-3 on Thursday night at Wien Stadium. You know, ASA College, Brooklyn, NY. Anyway...

No moral victories in lacrosse, and I'd bet Penn feels it should have bested Maryland; but the Terps reeled off six unanswered 4th quarter goals to claim a 17-15 win in College Park, MD. Other than the Quakers, all Ivy schools playing today won today. Impressive scoreline for Cornell, winning at Albany 19-10. Yale appears serious about getting aback to the Final Four, opening with an 18-12 win over Villanova. Dartmouth 13-11 over Merrimack. Well done Green! Good start for the Ivies (no shame for the Quakers, who will undoubtedly come back with a vengeance).
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:13 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 am Good roundup, Fann. I know you were being facetious on Harvard, but I'd guess that as the only new Ivy head coach this year and trying to install a new offense, new defense, new everything, Coach Byrne and his team think an extra week of teaching without specific game-planning will be most helpful. I'm sure the Harvard players will be raring to go by Feb. 22.
Facetious about Hahvaad? Me?? Yes, given the League rules about when fully coached practices can begin, the decision is understandable.

All in all, a very good day for the Ivy. All Ancient Eight teams playing at home held the home-court advantage, with Brown downing Quinnipiac 11-7 and an impressive scoreline for Princeton, downing Monmouth 20-9. Could Princeton be ready to re-stake its claim and give Sowers the senior year his play so richly merits? Columbia's club team Lions defeated the ASA College Avengers 5-3 on Thursday night at Wien Stadium. You know, ASA College, Brooklyn, NY. Anyway...

No moral victories in lacrosse, and I'd bet Penn feels it should have bested Maryland; but the Terps reeled off six unanswered 4th quarter goals to claim a 17-15 win in College Park, MD. Other than the Quakers, all Ivy schools playing today won today. Impressive scoreline for Cornell, winning at Albany 19-10. Yale appears serious about getting aback to the Final Four, opening with an 18-12 win over Villanova. Dartmouth 13-11 over Merrimack. Well done Green! Good start for the Ivies (no shame for the Quakers, who will undoubtedly come back with a vengeance).
Was at the MD-Penn game. I'll say this: even when you see how big Penn's starting offense 6 are on paper, seeing them in person is altogether a different thing. Sam Handley is huge and can move. Bartolo is huge and can move. Lulley bulldozed Maryland's defense. Penn's lack of depth behind those starting 6 is why they lost the game. They basically ran that first midfield for the entire first half...and just punished every mistake that Maryland made. But the Terps depth and having played 2 games already just wore Penn down. Gallagher was great in the Q1 but was held even in Q2-3 and was bested in Q4. Handley disappeared in the 4th quarter. Farrare had a calf cramp at the end of the 3rd. They'll get their legs under them as the season progresses, and their starting 6 is legit scary good. In a tournament setting, though, with less recovery...Penn needs more depth.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 pm
Was at the MD-Penn game. I'll say this: even when you see how big Penn's starting offense 6 are on paper, seeing them in person is altogether a different thing. Sam Handley is huge and can move. Bartolo is huge and can move. Lulley bulldozed Maryland's defense. Penn's lack of depth behind those starting 6 is why they lost the game. They basically ran that first midfield for the entire first half...and just punished every mistake that Maryland made. But the Terps depth and having played 2 games already just wore Penn down. Gallagher was great in the Q1 but was held even in Q2-3 and was bested in Q4. Handley disappeared in the 4th quarter. Farrare had a calf cramp at the end of the 3rd. They'll get their legs under them as the season progresses, and their starting 6 is legit scary good. In a tournament setting, though, with less recovery...Penn needs more depth.
Very true, Wheels: seeing Handley and Bartolo in-person during last season's ILT was something... Penn were comfortably ahead of Brown, 8-4 at halftime, but Penn barely held on for a 13-12 win. I'd be interested to know: what did you think of Burkinshaw in goal for Penn? Percentage-wise, not a great day for him, but maybe his D also got tired and let him down? Congratulations to Maryland on the fine start to the season!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 pm
Very true, Wheels: seeing Handley and Bartolo in-person during last season's ILT was something... Penn were comfortably ahead of Brown, 8-4 at halftime, but Penn barely held on for a 13-12 win. I'd be interested to know: what did you think of Burkinshaw in goal for Penn? Percentage-wise, not a great day for him, but maybe his D also got tired and let him down? Congratulations to Maryland on the fine start to the season!
Burkinshaw looked really good in the first half. He made several in close saves. Maryland killed off a 2 man, 1-minute man down; and it rattled Penn. Once the Terps started to go on their run, Penn's defense wilted and its offense just tried to stall. It was tough to tell how good Penn's defensive unit on the whole was because once they went up on Maryland, the Terps pressed too much and got really impatient. They had 3 shots that were essentially turnovers that Penn rammed back down the field for goals. Penn returned some short stick defensive middies that Tillman spoke highly of during the week, but the Terps relentlessly attacked those short sticks. It's not something that Maryland usually does. They tend to run their offense, spin the ball, and draw slides. Penn had no answer for Bernhardt, who had 4 unassisted goals in the first half. So they shut him off in the second half. That's when the Terps sent middie after middie behind the goal to iso dodge. Evanchick didn't stand out in any way. There doesn't seem to be a lot behind their starting 3 close defensemen. There's no depth behind Farrare at LSM. He logged a ton of minutes. It seems to me that Penn will rely on Gallagher to hog possession and let that offense dismantle opponents, who will feel so much pressure to score that they'll take bad shots. Kinda like the Albany offenses before Ierlan transferred. If you're Penn, you figure "if we put up 15, we'll win." Despite how negative this all sounds, I was really, really impressed with Penn. That offense is scary good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”