Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
notentitled

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by notentitled »

Football in the Spring and then in the Fall seems overkill. Just cancel and move on.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

notentitled wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm Football in the Spring and then in the Fall seems overkill. Just cancel and move on.
All of the potential draft picks will just sit out a spring season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

It was also discussed on the "school closings" thread, but Stanford announced they are cutting 11 varsity sports after this year: men's and women's fencing; squash; synchronized swimming; field hockey; lightweight crew; men's crew; both sailing programs (co-ed and women's); men's volleyball; and wrestling.

Expect more of these dominoes to fall. For many schools, the very real financial and operational disruption of COVID-19 allows an opening to make cuts like this without the regular backlash that might occur in pre- or fully post-pandemic times.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

So, no fall sports at all in 2020... or in 2020/21 school year.

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... els-sports
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:25 pm So, no fall sports at all in 2020... or in 2020/21 school year.

Thanks for the update Fann. No real surprises here. Feels a bit inevitable. I think many schools will follow suit, though I think there aren't too many schools as solicitous of the health of their faculty members as the Ivies. With more and more young people in Florida, Texas and elsewhere getting infected fears appear to be growing concerning the long range health effects on that previously less considered portion of the populations as well. Hopefully some real progress is made on the health front which will enable the spring season to happen. Too far out to worry about that now. I think the Ivies made the prudent decision for themselves at the moment for leaving their real reason for being ("raison d'être" for the truly, bi-lingually scholarly among us) intact.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Maybe the Ivies should have been followed last spring. Fall sports getting pushed to later dates will certainly impact spring sports. Maybe all will be playing more condensed seasons - perhaps just in league. Looks like this past year for lacrosse was closer to a normal year (full fall and half spring season). Maybe the NCAA shouldn’t have extended blanket eligibility for an extra year, and it was wise the Ivies didn’t jump on that bandwagon. It’s just becoming a vicious cycle at this point. Hopefully the crisis ends soon.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I wish I could be optimistic... I believe that at first the League was thinking about severely limited attendance for 2020 lax games (a relative or two of each player, which would have excluded me), but then when it became a pandemic, called off the season. Anyway, there's nothing like seeing games in person, but the PLL games will be televised later this summer: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/pro/pll/p ... t-schedule
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

calourie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 pm
FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:25 pm So, no fall sports at all in 2020... or in 2020/21 school year.

Thanks for the update Fann. No real surprises here. Feels a bit inevitable. I think many schools will follow suit, though I think there aren't too many schools as solicitous of the health of their faculty members as the Ivies. With more and more young people in Florida, Texas and elsewhere getting infected fears appear to be growing concerning the long range health effects on that previously less considered portion of the populations as well. Hopefully some real progress is made on the health front which will enable the spring season to happen. Too far out to worry about that now. I think the Ivies made the prudent decision for themselves at the moment for leaving their real reason for being ("raison d'être" for the truly, bi-lingually scholarly among us) intact.
Their real reason for being is hardly intact judging by the plans for the scholastic year that Harvard and Princeton have unveiled, which rely primarily on the miserable failure that is online learning.

This was a decision borne of fear, not science supported by data. If this is the best that our brightest can do, we're all in big trouble.
calourie

Post by calourie »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Their real reason for being is hardly intact judging by the plans for the scholastic year that Harvard and Princeton have unveiled, which rely primarily on the miserable failure that is online learning.

This was a decision borne of fear, not science supported by data. If this is the best that our brightest can do, we're all in big trouble.
Tell me JB, exactly what does science supported by data tell us? Seriously. My intent here is honestly more curious than confrontational. I tend to get my information from people like Fauci and his cohorts so by all means tell me what others are saying and who they are. Fauci and his group would likely applaud the Ivy decision were they informed of it.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I am sure most of this decision was based on the fear of lawsuits should a student contract Covid and suffer long lasting effects from it, or worse possibly die.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The Ivy League has been ahead of the curve in virtually all matters Covid. This is not a decision based on fear, but on facts. Those facts are, other than a few states in the Northeast - NY, NJ, CT in particular - that this country has done an abysmal job in handling, controlling, and mitigating this virus. The President and certain governors in the South and West have chosen to ignore science and data and experts. Instead of taking proven and simple steps and measure to control the virus - masks, social distancing, testing, tracing and the gradual and sensible reopening of society b= they politicized these basic measures. The failure of a uniform national policy and the failure to take these steps have not only squandered the progress made from March to May, but have resulted in an explosion of cases (and now hospitalizations) in the US that is rivaled globally only by Brazil. The handling of this crisis by some of our leaders will go down in history as one of the dumbest, most ignorant, and cruelest decisions in US history. Don't blame the Ivies. They are reacting to the current situation, which is, unfortunately, as dire as things were if not worse than when they decided to close schools in March.

There is a reason why the NY-NJ-CT area was able to go from the hottest of hot Covid spots to the lowest infection and positive test rates in the US (while testing more than other states by huge margins). It was not because the governors of those states were stupid, but because they were smart and recognized the threat this virus poses to the physical, mental, and economic health of their residents. If those three states could bring the positive test results down to 1% and the infection rate to .7 %, think what the rest of the US , which had fractional levels of cases as these states, could have done by taking the same measures. Instead, the false bravado and refusal to follow science and data has taken us to where we are now - 60,.000 cases a day and rising geometrically. Unfortunately, the cancellation of fall sports by the Ivies is likely the first domino of many that will fall-- again - as the USA shuts down - again.
Last edited by Chousnake on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Postponing Fall sports is cautious and wise. As implied above, in some ways, the schools are simply transferring COVID-19 risk to individual students' responsibilities. Monitoring student behavior off field is important, and bars, apartment parties, etc are anecdotally proven ways to spread the virus. This will be a challenge for coaches who want to have a healthy team in the Spring.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 pm

The Ivy League has been ahead of the curve in virtually all matters Covid. This is not a decision based on fear, but on facts. Those facts are, other than a few states in the Northeast - NY, NJ, CT in particular - that this country has done an abysmal job in handling, controlling, and mitigating this virus. The President and certain governors in the South and West have chosen to ignore science and data and experts. Instead of taking proven and simple steps and measure to control the virus - masks, social distancing, testing, tracing and the gradual and sensible reopening of society b= they politicized these basic measures. The failure of a uniform national policy and the failure to take these steps have not only squandered the progress made from March to May, but have resulted in an explosion of cases (and now hospitalizations) in the US that is rivaled globally only by Brazil. The handling of this crisis by some of our leaders will go down in history as one of the dumbest, most ignorant, and cruelest decisions in US history. Don't blame the Ivies. They are reacting to the current situation, which is, unfortunately, as dire as things were if not worse than when they decided to close schools in March.

There is a reason why the NY-NJ-CT area was able to go from the hottest of hot Covid spots to the lowest infection and positive test rates in the US (while testing more than other states by huge margins). It was not because the governors of those states were stupid, but because they were smart and recognized the threat this virus poses to the physical, mental, and economic health of their residents. If those three states could bring the positive test results down to 1% and the infection rate to .7 %, think what the rest of the US , which had fractional levels of cases as these states, could have done by taking the same measures. Instead, the false bravado and refusal to follow science and data has taken us to where we are now - 60,.000 cases a day and rising geometrically. Unfortunately, the cancellation of fall sports by the Ivies is likely the first domino of many that will fall-- again - as the USA shuts down - again.
Well said, Chousnake-- I'm a retiree living in South Florida, painfully aware of the consequences of leadership missteps. Good job, Ivies.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

faircornell wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:42 pm As implied above, in some ways, the schools are simply transferring COVID-19 risk to individual students' responsibilities.
i agree with this part. too bad that's why folks may be making decisions, but they're paid to make them, not moi.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Ah, I see the Ivy League Forum is populated with true believers.

For those Dr. Fauci fans among you, perhaps you didn't see that he came out today (as he did a month ago) fully in favor of opening our schools in the fall. Of course, he changes his tune daily so who knows what he'll say tomorrow.

Any of the data regarding risk to college students is right on the CDC site, if you care to spend the time looking at it. In any case, I'll just reprint here what I posted in another forum earlier this week concerning colleges opening in the fall:

Approximately 112,000 Americans have died from Covid, 142 of those were age 15-24, and I can only assume that many or all of those young people had pre-existing health issues. During that same time period 51 people age 15-24 died of Influenza. Not to mention car accidents, other accidents, other disease, suicide and on and on. People die, and it's sad, and by discussing the data no one wishes to diminish the value of the lives lost, or the suffering those people endured. But the overall risk to college students from Covid is demonstrably and incontrovertibly tiny.

Moreover, as pointed out, there are workarounds to the risks on college campuses, even in athletics, and every student and professor should have the choice to do whatever they are comfortable doing. If you don't feel comfortable playing lacrosse this season, just don't play. Sit this year out.

It is my belief that the collateral damage to our young people associated with locking them in their homes, preventing them from spending time with friends and participating in athletics, and degrading their college experience is and will be a far, far more serious threat to their well being than Covid.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell is opening with certain restrictions.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm Ah, I see the Ivy League Forum is populated with true believers.

For those Dr. Fauci fans among you, perhaps you didn't see that he came out today (as he did a month ago) fully in favor of opening our schools in the fall. Of course, he changes his tune daily so who knows what he'll say tomorrow.

Any of the data regarding risk to college students is right on the CDC site, if you care to spend the time looking at it. In any case, I'll just reprint here what I posted in another forum earlier this week concerning colleges opening in the fall:

Approximately 112,000 Americans have died from Covid, 142 of those were age 15-24, and I can only assume that many or all of those young people had pre-existing health issues. During that same time period 51 people age 15-24 died of Influenza. Not to mention car accidents, other accidents, other disease, suicide and on and on. People die, and it's sad, and by discussing the data no one wishes to diminish the value of the lives lost, or the suffering those people endured. But the overall risk to college students from Covid is demonstrably and incontrovertibly tiny.

Moreover, as pointed out, there are workarounds to the risks on college campuses, even in athletics, and every student and professor should have the choice to do whatever they are comfortable doing. If you don't feel comfortable playing lacrosse this season, just don't play. Sit this year out.

It is my belief that the collateral damage to our young people associated with locking them in their homes, preventing them from spending time with friends and participating in athletics, and degrading their college experience is and will be a far, far more serious threat to their well being than Covid.
The undercount is at 130k
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I think they all will be open with restrictions .... fall sports is a no though across the Icy League. Stanford even fully cancelled some sports. The athletic landscape is changing rapidly.
calourie

Post by calourie »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm Ah, I see the Ivy League Forum is populated with true believers.

Appreciate the response JB, though I don't consider it the be all and end all of analysis regarding Covid and its' potential impact on colleges and college sports. As far as your criticism of Dr. Fauci, all the science and data people you want to rely on to get decisions made are still getting to know this virus on every level: health, economic, social etc. The "everybody should go it alone as far as determining what behavior they want to exhibit regarding this virus and its' impact" is a questionable tactic at best, not currently working out as well as most of us would like in terms of helping America return to a more near normal, and unlikely to do so for various businesses and institutions as well. There are a number of countries and institutions whose behaviors have been far more effective in helping things return to normal, and it seems like the US might have to start implementing some of them to avoid having the virus and its' collateral damage linger on even more emphatically and impactfully than it already has. At the moment it appears about 60% of the country isn't in the mood to fully indulge in the behavior you would like them to exhibit. Should the recent uptick in cases and deaths continue for any prolonged amount of time, I would be surprised if that number doesn't continue to rise, and lead to a considerably greater amount of people opting for less rather than more exposure.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

From what I've heard and read, Covid-19 affects everyone, regardless of age. Until there's a proven vaccine (and let's hope there is one), we might have to forego sports and many other things we like to do to avoid this virus.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”