Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by pcowlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm Agreed. Fairfield took a kid in and one to UVM, couple of others I think.
And some going the other way including Raba to Wesleyan, very interesting all around. In a dream world we would see a few D1-D3 local rivalries start up again but in a time of shrinking schedules that will likely remain a dream.
molo

Post by molo »

Congratulations to Josh Sims on his announcement referenced in IL. I was not aware of his high school's history of racism, but as a graduate of another school in today's MIAA--MSA when I was in school--I can't say I am surprised.
BackItUpLacrosse

Post by BackItUpLacrosse »

In case you missed it, our new Lacrosse YouTube Series: Back It Up has featured two coaches from the Ivy League so far!

Cornell's Associate Head Coach Jordan Stevens joined us to talk about the culture at Cornell as well as break down some practice and game footage. Check out the full episode here: https://youtu.be/iUbuIimfwMc

Princeton Head Coach Matt Madalon spent some time with us talking about his background, his philosophies for building a staff, the greatness of Michael Sowers and some film breakdown. Check out the full episode here: https://youtu.be/ceFOFI9ouaQ
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

"The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May."

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-bla ... reddit.com
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Play football in the late Fall or just wait until next year.
Go Quakers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Waiting until next year would make sense for some schools/conferences (Ivy included), but for the big-money conferences (and for the residents of places like Columbus, Ohio) an entire academic year without football is to be avoided if at all possible.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Of course what does it say about our world order that a subsidized farm system for the NFL that doesn’t pay taxes and doesn’t pay its labor, up until now that Pandora’s box got opened just a little, is so important to multiple small and mid sized cities. Priorities can be a funny thing.

More curious if certain rivalries, like Harvard-Yale, if they take a year off and nobody cares much for a variety of reasons, if that emboldens administrations to take a chainsaw to their athletics departments the following year...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
calourie

Post by calourie »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm Of course what does it say about our world order that a subsidized farm system for the NFL that doesn’t pay taxes and doesn’t pay its labor, up until now that Pandora’s box got opened just a little, is so important to multiple small and mid sized cities. Priorities can be a funny thing.

More curious if certain rivalries, like Harvard-Yale, if they take a year off and nobody cares much for a variety of reasons, if that emboldens administrations to take a chainsaw to their athletics departments the following year...
I think most of the Ivies are committed to the idea of the well rounded individual which includes an opportunity to engage and excel in numerous endeavors beyond academics including sports. I believe many of the ivies, and I know for sure HYP are sufficiently endowed financially to get through the next year or two with their missions more or less intact. Recently Brown did put a number of athletic programs on the chopping block, but the word in here is that those moves were in the cards well before Covid took hold ( I think they reduced 10 programs to club status while elevating three to the varsity level). Those reductions leave Brown only 3 varsity programs less than the 32 or so being offered by Yale, so yes, perhaps Brown's lead it could be a road map for other Ivy schools to make the same kind of moves, but I doubt you will find the Ivies completely abandoning the idea of competing in sports on a meaningful level.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Like most here who played college sports, lacrosse or otherwise, I think highly of the value of sports, particularly team sports so I hope you’re correct, perhaps just cynical of higher ed administrators desire to even entertain athletics these days with the exception being the few larges TV money conferences where the tail is wagging the dog, so to speak. Just wondering if a break in the “big” games would soften alumnus who care and donate to actions made at the top regarding sports. Less about financial capacity than desire in my mind but just speculation.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yale announced their school plans. Most undergrad courses will be remote. Some classes will be allowed back on campus. By that they mean freshman, juniors and seniors in the fall and sophomores, juniors and seniors in the spring. There will be a special summer session in 2021 with some waived course tuition for freshman and sophomores to take classes they are forced to miss so as to stay on track for graduation in 4 years. There will be an announcement from the Ivy league July 8 regarding sports. However, Yale also notes, "In-person classes, meetings, and social gatherings in the fall will be limited. Performances will not be held, and meal service will be substantially modified to eliminate crowded dining rooms.". Given that, there seems to be no way to have sports. Putting aside that the whole sophomore class will be missing, if you can't have any performances or eat together in a dining room, how can you possibly play football? Some sports are more distant than others but the hypocrisy of having sports while canceling everything else would seem too bad an optic to overcome. Unfortunately this seems likely to apply in the spring as well. Missing a class of students, no vaccine, rank hysteria over the risks for college age kids; spring 21 season seems extremely iffy. Sorry to be the bearer of gloom.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am Yale announced their school plans. Most undergrad courses will be remote. Some classes will be allowed back on campus. By that they mean freshman, juniors and seniors in the fall and sophomores, juniors and seniors in the spring. There will be a special summer session in 2021 with some waived course tuition for freshman and sophomores to take classes they are forced to miss so as to stay on track for graduation in 4 years. There will be an announcement from the Ivy league July 8 regarding sports. However, Yale also notes, "In-person classes, meetings, and social gatherings in the fall will be limited. Performances will not be held, and meal service will be substantially modified to eliminate crowded dining rooms.". Given that, there seems to be no way to have sports. Putting aside that the whole sophomore class will be missing, if you can't have any performances or eat together in a dining room, how can you possibly play football? Some sports are more distant than others but the hypocrisy of having sports while canceling everything else would seem too bad an optic to overcome. Unfortunately this seems likely to apply in the spring as well. Missing a class of students, no vaccine, rank hysteria over the risks for college age kids; spring 21 season seems extremely iffy. Sorry to be the bearer of gloom.
Unless there is an exception for athletes.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Sure. No mention of that in announcement though and that would be a very tough sell. Why does the sophomore soccer player get to come back and live on campus and play a group sport while the sophomore theater major cannot live in dorm AND all theater performances are cancelled so they can't even live off campus and participate?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Let's not forget STATE rules also. At NY's max infection event other states limited travel by its citizens. Now NY New England have the situation better in hand (Jerseyites pls weigh in) (will NOT say under control), the 'bans' might be instituted in these areas against travel from current hot spots like Az, Fla, Cal. How could this affect incoming students, student-athletes. Cal a big reservoir for sports. Football, volleyball the ones I've noticed from the 'meet the freshmen' webpages. 2 week quarantine, at parents' expense? Air travel concerns? Questions abt health coverage away from home, & how prepped Uni Health Depts are...???
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Interesting study from Cornell with the very reasonable conclusion that housing students on campus might actually minimize spread vs in the community due to routine screening of asymptomatic people and the ability to then isolate them vs what they would get at home living with family members who are going out into the community. In addition, virtually none of the students this age who catch it are going to be significantly ill so the University health systems would not be flooded with sick patients but would be flooded with testing, the worried well and the complex logistics of isolating and contact tracing. The concerns over bringing people in from hot-spots to areas that now have it better in hand though are very real and are an additional layer of complexity working against any return to a semblance of normality.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 am Sure. No mention of that in announcement though and that would be a very tough sell. Why does the sophomore soccer player get to come back and live on campus and play a group sport while the sophomore theater major cannot live in dorm AND all theater performances are cancelled so they can't even live off campus and participate?
One is an inter-collegiate sport and the other is a club. I am not sure the Ivy League schools would do that but they could make the distinction.....I don’t know what to expect. I have seen a fall ball schedule and I thought it might be pre mature.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am Yale announced their school plans. Most undergrad courses will be remote. Some classes will be allowed back on campus. By that they mean freshman, juniors and seniors in the fall and sophomores, juniors and seniors in the spring. There will be a special summer session in 2021 with some waived course tuition for freshman and sophomores to take classes they are forced to miss so as to stay on track for graduation in 4 years. There will be an announcement from the Ivy league July 8 regarding sports. However, Yale also notes, "In-person classes, meetings, and social gatherings in the fall will be limited. Performances will not be held, and meal service will be substantially modified to eliminate crowded dining rooms.". Given that, there seems to be no way to have sports. Putting aside that the whole sophomore class will be missing, if you can't have any performances or eat together in a dining room, how can you possibly play football? Some sports are more distant than others but the hypocrisy of having sports while canceling everything else would seem too bad an optic to overcome. Unfortunately this seems likely to apply in the spring as well. Missing a class of students, no vaccine, rank hysteria over the risks for college age kids; spring 21 season seems extremely iffy. Sorry to be the bearer of gloom.
Unless there is an exception for athletes.
I have wondered about this also. I very much doubt they will have a blanket exemption for varsity athletes. However, the language talks about "study on campus" so I wonder if there is a possible avenue where athletes might live off campus (sophs in the fall, 1st-years in the spring) and attend classes remotely but be able to participate in sports.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

I believe fall sports in the Ivies is a pipe dream right now.
calourie

Post by calourie »

laxjuris wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:11 pm I believe fall sports in the Ivies is a pipe dream right now.
I'm in depressed agreement here. I have a feeling the Ivies will once again be the trend setters here. As I said when the Ivy lacrosse season got canceled, I think the well being of their elderly-age-skewed faculty members is going to be more important to the Ivies than trying to establish some sort of continuum with their athletic programs. Northeastern college towns will suffer from this outcome, but far less dramatically than would the host towns of high profile athletic programs elsewhere which would suffer from the revenue loss normally provided by tens of thousands of outside visitors on any given football weekend should it be determined that the fall sports season should be canceled everywhere.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

There's been lots of talk of Football being moved to the spring, with a likely all-Ivy 7 game schedule. Probably not a lot of hope for the other fall sports unless they too just stick to Ivy competition.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 am Sure. No mention of that in announcement though and that would be a very tough sell. Why does the sophomore soccer player get to come back and live on campus and play a group sport while the sophomore theater major cannot live in dorm AND all theater performances are cancelled so they can't even live off campus and participate?
One is an inter-collegiate sport and the other is a club. I am not sure the Ivy League schools would do that but they could make the distinction.....I don’t know what to expect. I have seen a fall ball schedule and I thought it might be pre mature.
I don't understand this comment. For theater/dance majors, this is their program of study, arguably much more important to their professional development than inter-collegiate athletics is for a college athlete, the vast majority of whom will go on to professional careers having little-to-nothing to do with their sport(s).

Not trying to be confrontational; just trying to understand your comment and use of the term "club."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”