VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by blue angels »

Good luck to Scanlan at Cuse. I think/hope he made the best choice for him, socially, academically, and athletically, as he is a terrific player. I was concerned about our team chemistry adding another offensive star at Virginia with what we have returning and coming in. This gives players like Shellenberger an early opportunity to show if he is ready to come out of the box as a midfielder which would have been less likely with Scanlan. Of course, there are a bunch of other young returning midfielders competing for time so no guarantees.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Having Scanlan would have augmented UVa's offensive power. It would appear that they could have played Scanlan and Shellenberger at the same time.
Of course, Scanlan going to Syracuse strengthens one of UVa's ACC rivals.
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:09 pm Having Scanlan would have augmented UVa's offensive power. It would appear that they could have played Scanlan and Shellenberger at the same time.
ya, i'm not sure quite everyone appreciates that scanlan had what might be one the top 3 all time freshman years at middie.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:09 pm Having Scanlan would have augmented UVa's offensive power. It would appear that they could have played Scanlan and Shellenberger at the same time.
Hoos will be fine, Coots. I know you you were concerned. :lol:
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Laxter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:03 am
Hoos should be fine, but they could have been a little finer. :D
Live Free or Die!
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Cooter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 am
Na. Just won the national championship. Nothing can be finer. Beating the Terps on that shot that snuck under the crossbar made it even sweeter. ;)
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:47 pm
ya, i'm not sure quite everyone appreciates that scanlan had what might be one the top 3 all time freshman years at middie.
To play the other side, would be have been so good if pat spencer wasn’t on that team?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Laxter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Na. Just won the national championship. Nothing can be finer. Beating the Terps on that shot that snuck under the crossbar made it even sweeter. ;)
Perhaps, but this is the 2020 thread.
Virginia looked like the frontrunner for 2020 in the ACC, but with Syracuse adding Scanlan and UNC (edit) adding Gray, things have gotten tighter. :idea:
Last edited by Cooter on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free or Die!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Wait, did the lightening tonight cross us into bizarro world? Things are tight indeed, inside my brain that is, if Duke added Gray.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 pm Wait, did the lightening tonight cross us into bizarro world? Things are tight indeed, inside my brain that is, if Duke added Gray.
No, No, its me, Gray is going to UNC. I don't know why I was thinking Duke. Perhaps, the decision went on so long like some soap opera that I got bored at end and fell asleep.
Live Free or Die!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Well...... at least we get to keep the same coaching staff intact for another year. That wasn't a sure thing.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

not so sure about the incoming classes. 2 guys made the 32 cutline for us u19s so congrats to them, but that's as many as hopkins has.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 pm not so sure about the incoming classes. 2 guys made the 32 cutline for us u19s so congrats to them, but that's as many as hopkins has.
Hate to see Duke with so many players but not so sure about OSU. Our top rated 2019 recruits, Shellenberger, Bower and Tygh missed the age cutoff, in 1 case by days. There is immediate playing time at close D with graduation losses so Matsui will be given a long look as well as Bower and Giuleri. Regardless, We shall see how it plays out in coming years.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

I recently re-watched the end of the UVA-Maryland NCAA tournament game. What a game! What jumped out (again) was Ryan Conrad's ground balls from the face-off wing, UVA forcing turnovers, Maryland trying to run out the clock and dumping the ball, Conrad's scoring and Petey Lasalla's face-off wins.

I also saw an old article on UVA's website on rising junior Matt Moore (link below).

https://virginiasports.com/news/2019/5/ ... moore.aspx

This article refers to aforementioned indications that Moore was on the 1st midfield again going into the season before freshman attackman Payton Cormier had an injury.

Does Matt Moore take Conrad's role on the face-off wings and all over the field?

I am not an expert on UVA's line-up, but the article on Moore and the mention that Payton was a starter before the injury suggests UVA's top six attack/midfield rotation will be:

2 Kraus, 4/4 (school year), 17/17 (games started/games played in 2019)
3 Laviano, 3/4, 19/20
4 Conner, 2/4, 10/20
5 Moore, 3/4, 20/20
6 Aitken, 4/4, 20/20
24 Cormier, 2/5, NM

Potential top four D rotation:
9 Rock, 3/4, 0/20
11 Saustad, 2/4, 19/20
16 Kology, 3/4, 19/20
28 Conners, 4/4, 0/20

Thoughts?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

What's to say, team is loaded and will now go into 2020 season with tremendous confidence in themselves.

Cuse fan who was delighted with UVA repping ACC and ripping Yale apart. Hope UVA fans dont mind a outside view.

Moving Moore to attack surprised but he was so darn good there that it's diificult to see how they move him back. Krauss top tier despite ankle hindering and now will be healthy. Laviano is the perfect complement playing off those two, his catch and release off feed from Moore for o/t winner vs Duke was simply amazing. Im not sure where and how p/t is fed to Cormier and Shellenberger but their considerable talents will be brought along somewhere . Aiken obviously anchors first mid line with Conner then Tiffany can pick and choose from a deep stock that includes talents such as as Dickson, Peele, Simmons and others . Not sure you can truly replace the unique abilities of Conrad but Fox and Sallade are competitors.

Greco be missed but their D is good and they bring in good defensive prospects in Bower and Matsui.

Really good squad
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Random note, but Taylor Musa from Riverside Hs Va (4A State Champs '17, '19) is attending UVA in the fall. I wonder if he is a potential walk-on player. He was previously committed to Colgate and is the all-time leader scorer in Virginia High school lacrosse history. Not sure he is wants to play or if Lars even knows about him. Could be interesting to follow.

Sophomore Highlights https://youtu.be/UAvcwkTHX58
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

addendum to stupified...as that article probably speaks to if it's the one i recall -- the new and the old staff all have looked at moore as an attackman since as far back as high school -- moore didn't want to go there as a freshman, and then was willing to last year. and then sets the single season points record. more importantly, became the main assist guy to facilitate to others, particularly when kraus wasn't healthy.

i would be a little shocked if they messed with that, especially for any guy getting on the field for the first time. though i was surprised when they courted gray, so what do i know? anything could happen, but i see it as unlikely. moore is a rider like kraus and laviano. he's a facilitator. you want him on the field for all the fast breaks, rides, etc.

the middies the last 2 years were:
2018 - dox, moore, someone rotating in
2019 - early year- dox, conner + somebody : last 2/3 year- dox, conrad + somebody.

so the common denominator is dox, of course. there are a lot of other guys, and i don't think anyone can really predict right now who may be the ones getting the most burn. kirwan just did a recent podcast and espoused the "best 6 guys" on offense theory. they may settle on one other guy and rotate others around dox +1, or just have it be dox and the supremes.

as far as the d guys you mentioned, rock and conners have filled the lsm spot, and been very good at it. i don't see that changing.
with kology gone, they got thin with injuries last year @ pole, but i'd imagine we'll see a fresh face down low, whether it's one of the 3 new defensemen or someone from the roster.

what i would like to see if the "other mids" can step up offensively is for aitken to take more wings, middle of the field clears, etc. fill some of conrad's role himself. he was very good at it freshman year, and even a dip in offensive production would give the hoos a lot of what they're losing in conrad's void.
GSP

Post by GSP »

wgdsr:

Why do you say "I don't see that changing with Kology gone...?"

Did something happen with Kyle Kology? He should be a rising Junior with 2 years of eligibility remaining.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

meant greco. sorry!!!
kology barring something unforeseen should have 2 years.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm addendum to stupified...as that article probably speaks to if it's the one i recall -- the new and the old staff all have looked at moore as an attackman since as far back as high school -- moore didn't want to go there as a freshman, and then was willing to last year. and then sets the single season points record. more importantly, became the main assist guy to facilitate to others, particularly when kraus wasn't healthy.

i would be a little shocked if they messed with that, especially for any guy getting on the field for the first time. though i was surprised when they courted gray, so what do i know? anything could happen, but i see it as unlikely. moore is a rider like kraus and laviano. he's a facilitator. you want him on the field for all the fast breaks, rides, etc.

the middies the last 2 years were:
2018 - dox, moore, someone rotating in
2019 - early year- dox, conner + somebody : last 2/3 year- dox, conrad + somebody.

so the common denominator is dox, of course. there are a lot of other guys, and i don't think anyone can really predict right now who may be the ones getting the most burn. kirwan just did a recent podcast and espoused the "best 6 guys" on offense theory. they may settle on one other guy and rotate others around dox +1, or just have it be dox and the supremes.

as far as the d guys you mentioned, rock and conners have filled the lsm spot, and been very good at it. i don't see that changing.
with kology gone, they got thin with injuries last year @ pole, but i'd imagine we'll see a fresh face down low, whether it's one of the 3 new defensemen or someone from the roster.

what i would like to see if the "other mids" can step up offensively is for aitken to take more wings, middle of the field clears, etc. fill some of conrad's role himself. he was very good at it freshman year, and even a dip in offensive production would give the hoos a lot of what they're losing in conrad's void.
Truthfully, we have a myriad of options on offense which is the least of our problems as we will be potent there, regardless. We have some great individual players but D is the area that is going to require the most work in the Fall. Agree that we were really thin(and Fortunate) at Close D. Greco and top reserve, Dol ,graduated. We have 3 superb incoming long pole prospects. I don't foresee all of them at Close but probably 2 will need to be out of necessity and there is ample playing time available including a starting spot. I am less certain who else on the roster is a viable candidate to start and wondered who else you think might figure into that competition? Chris Merle practiced with a pole some before he was injured and seems like he ends up as a LSM or short stick middle. We are also very thin at short stick. Hall Peters was an Under Armour AA but took a year off and then there is Ken Olexo who has been injured since high school. Neither played much or at all but were 1st years. How are they developing and is there anyone else?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”