VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Laxter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:49 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 am Lets not include the 2011 change in attitude toward drinking as some sacrifice that merits admiration. In May of 2010, drunken UVA men's lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V murdered Yeardley Love, a University of Virginia women's lacrosse student-athlete.

How about you just don’t reply then?
Because the 2011 "commitment to winning" was a commitment to stop killing people in a drunken rage. Lars instead has instilled a commitment to winning.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 am
Laxter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:49 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:45 am Lets not include the 2011 change in attitude toward drinking as some sacrifice that merits admiration. In May of 2010, drunken UVA men's lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V murdered Yeardley Love, a University of Virginia women's lacrosse student-athlete.

How about you just don’t reply then?
Because the 2011 "commitment to winning" was a commitment to stop killing people in a drunken rage. Lars instead has instilled a commitment to winning.
That makes about as much sense as saying the Mids' commitment to winning in 2015 was a commitment to not do what Tra'ves Bush, Eric Graham, and Josh Tate did.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Y'all just believe what you want to believe. For those of us who live in C'Ville, the revisionist history of 2011 being just something about a focus on winning is wrong. The after the national 15 minute news cycle moved on, press coverage in the local papers, TV, UVA outlets etc. did not move on. Starsia did not (could not) move on, he was sued by the Love family. Littlepage was talking about this event weekly for years. The team did not just move and Starsia has said (this year) the 2010 incident impacted UVA lax for years.

Further, your comment about Tra'ves Bush, Eric Graham, and Josh Tate shows an amazing lack of perspective. First, charges were thrown out on 2 of the 3 and the third was not convicted while Huguely was convicted. Second, the Tra'ves Bush, Eric Graham, and Josh Tate incident had (and still does have) a huge impact on not only navy football but the naval academy, the other service academies and the military as a whole.

So you can think the pep talks the coaches give about just focusing on winning are what impact the team the most, but the seeing of your teammates on the six o'clock news facing murder and rape charges will cause "making some in-season sacrifices" just as much. To put it even plainer, the 2011 UVA team did not make some in-season sacrifices so they could win. They did it because of what their imprisoned teammate did.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I wouldn't be able to contradict your argument that the Love murder wasn't ever-present in the team's minds in 2011. Probably was. I think we'd need to be able to talk frankly and openly with the players, captains, about what they were thinking to truly understand, and that's not going to happen for most of us.

Certainly the context would have to have had an impact on these guys, so I think it's reasonable to say it was more than just a 'commitment to winning'.

On the 'commitment' in 2011 though, I don't think it was any sort of absolute commitment to no drinking at all (most teams have 'captain's rules' on when drinking is allowed in-season, when not)...if I understand correctly, the boot finally given to the Brattons was due to them actually not showing up for a practice due to drinking, last straw. The offense had revolved specifically around the brothers' tremendous talents, and when they were no longer available, the offense ironically became far more fluid and others rose to their opportunities. I could be mistaken about some aspects of this, but that's the impression given. If I'm not mistaken, another player was disciplined not long thereafter, a player who, when he returned, absolutely lit it up down the stretch. Great momentum over those final weeks.

However, I'm not so sure that the 'culture' didn't remain hard partying at UVA for years thereon, an issue which Lars certainly was very conscious about addressing from day 1 of his appointment. The dismissal of UVA's best goalie during that summer was a major signal. So, too, the message about walk-ons welcome, no one guaranteed, and the very high pace of practices. A bit of a 'shock' to the system. A challenge to guys as to whether they wanted to be 'in' or not.

However, I doubt very much that there's zero tolerance for having a good time, drinking etc at UVA or anywhere else. But this stuff is sensitive to 'tipping point' dynamics...so, over time, more guys who are serious about their on-field objectives, willing to make sacrifices, adds up.

Seems to me it's one of the hardest aspects of coaching these days, but also one of the most important.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sigh.
bunch of us went through on this on lp.
is it even possible the folks that want to discuss this with their fraction of real information can just create a thread and discuss it there?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The conversation began back a week ago re drinking rules, etc, with regard to current success on the field.
It morphed a bit into prior issues.

It's a quiet time of year.

At least this isn't the Hopkins thread... ;)
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm sigh.
bunch of us went through on this on lp.
is it even possible the folks that want to discuss this with their fraction of real information can just create a thread and discuss it there?
Thank You and completely agree. Not to mitigate or lessen the tragedy in any way. This has been discussed endlessly multiple times and there is nothing more to add, that hasn't already been said 1,000 times. Please set up your own thread if you want to keep it going.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Condolences to the Adams family and the many people Ace touched. Ace Adams passed away this weekend. The entire UVA family remembers him fondly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 am Condolences to the Adams family and the many people Ace touched. Ace Adams passed away this weekend. The entire UVA family remembers him fondly.
+1
dek

Post by dek »

Cooter wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:58 pm Notre Dame is playing Michigan on March 14th, so their UVa game will be moved to another weekend. Perhaps, the now vacant UVa-JHU weekend, which corresponds to the March 21 weekend this spring
ACC pushed its teams to move league games to later in the season, so league play runs up to the league tournament. Many other leagues already do this - BIG, for example. For Hoos, Cuse game moves back to weekend of 4/18. I’d guess the UND game moves back to weekend of 3/28, and the Richmond game gets moved up. Cuse game I’m sure about; UND I’m guessing. I expect Hoos Terps will be either the weekend of 3/14 or 3/21, and Richmond on the other weekend.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

dek wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 am
Cooter wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:58 pm Notre Dame is playing Michigan on March 14th, so their UVa game will be moved to another weekend. Perhaps, the now vacant UVa-JHU weekend, which corresponds to the March 21 weekend this spring
ACC pushed its teams to move league games to later in the season, so league play runs up to the league tournament. Many other leagues already do this - BIG, for example. For Hoos, Cuse game moves back to weekend of 4/18. I’d guess the UND game moves back to weekend of 3/28, and the Richmond game gets moved up. Cuse game I’m sure about; UND I’m guessing. I expect Hoos Terps will be either the weekend of 3/14 or 3/21, and Richmond on the other weekend.
One thing to note is that with 5 teams in the ACC, one team will not have a conference game each weekend once the conference schedule begins. If UNC doesn't move any of its ACC dates, then they would have their non-conference weekend on 3/21, when they have been playing UMd. Thus I think UVa will open ACC league play on 3/21 with ND, Syracuse will be playing at Duke that weekend. Virginia would then have their non-conference weekend 3/28 with Richmond. This leaves 3/14 for the UVa-Terps.
Live Free or Die!
molo

Post by molo »

My wife, who ran a beach stand on the street where Ace had a summer place in Ocean City, knew the family better than I did, but he always presented a kind, caring family man. A friend who used to officiate major DI games called him a gentleman and a pleasure to work with, not exactly the way he felt about some former and present prominent coaches.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

The schedule has been semi-released.

Saturday, Feb 8 LOYOLA Home
Saturday, Feb 15 LEHIGH Home
Saturday, Feb 22 PRINCETON Home
Tuesday, Feb 25 HIGH POINT Home
Sunday, March 1 AIR FORCE Home
Sunday, March 8 @ Brown Away
Saturday, March 14 @ Maryland Away
Saturday, March 21 @ Notre Dame Away (The old JHU slot)
Saturday, March 28 RICHMOND Home
Saturday, April 4 @ North Carolina Away
Saturday, April 11 DUKE Home
Sunday, April 12 UTAH Home
Saturday, April 18 SYRACUSE Home
Fri/Sun, April 24/26 ACC Tournament (4 Teams only) Site = #1 seed
Tuesday, April 28 VMI Home
Saturday, May 9 NCAA Tournament begins

Of note, the UVa MLax office notes there will be an "ACC Thursday Night Game of the Week" (probably on the ACC Network), so some games could be moved when the official release is made next month to accomodate that and ESPN's weekend selections.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

The schedule has now been officially released on VirginiaSports.com. Of note, 3 ACC games are on Thursday nights, probably to be broadcast on the ACC Network.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

HowieT3 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:53 pm The schedule has now been officially released on VirginiaSports.com. Of note, 3 ACC games are on Thursday nights, probably to be broadcast on the ACC Network.
Virginia seems to have a lot of home games early with the first 5 games: Loyola, Lehigh, Princton, High Point and Air Force all in C-ville. They only have 4 road games total.
The Duke game is the only home Thursday night game, which will be tough on DC area Wahoo fans wishing to go, as the starting time is 7 pm.
Live Free or Die!
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 pm
HowieT3 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:53 pm The schedule has now been officially released on VirginiaSports.com. Of note, 3 ACC games are on Thursday nights, probably to be broadcast on the ACC Network.
Virginia seems to have a lot of home games early with the first 5 games: Loyola, Lehigh, Princton, High Point and Air Force all in C-ville. They only have 4 road games total.
The Duke game is the only home Thursday night game, which will be tough on DC area Wahoo fans wishing to go, as the starting time is 7 pm.
Everyone except Syracuse hosts a Thursday night ACC game. UVa goes to ND and UNC, Duke goes to UVa and UNC goes to Duke. Syracuse doesn't host a game due to Dome renovations.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Any update after today's scrimmage?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm Any update after today's scrimmage?
Word is Virginia went really cold and didn't score a goal against Bucknell in the 1st quarter of their scrimmage. They played a little better in the 2nd. Moore, Saustad and Shellenberger didn't play. They might really struggle against Loyola in the opener if this keeps up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”