VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by OCanada »

It is an accomplishment that very few can achieve. My brother in law retired after a full career. Among his assignments was BUDS. I asked him one day given every candidate is in the top 0.01% or so what characteristic did he look for in candidates. His reply in brief was he wanted the guy who when he hit him between the eyes on day one came back early the next day ready. And when he did it again they were back the next day ready to go and every day after. Speaks volumes about the successful candidates
GSP

Post by GSP »

Wow! Congratulations to a great young man! BRAVO!
It was an honor to watch him compete and now it is an honor to have such a man both represent and defend the greatest nation on the planet! Best wishes for a long and distinguished career.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm A monumental accomplishment, you're one of a select few who make it through, congrats, young man.
Worth scrolling down to the phases to get an idea of what it takes to make it through, and then we only get an idea...an incredible physical challenge, but maybe even more so mental. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... d_training
Bang on, DMac.The first day, you look around and see some well-conditioned,athletic-looking chaps. Within a couple of weeks, around half the class has DOR'ed (Drop On Request) and gone back to the fleet. Mental toughness is the constant that can get a candidate get through each phase.

Not surprised LUK was HONORMAN.An outstanding young man.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

I am reminded of the speech given by Admiral McRaven at UT in 2014. We all need to keep the 9th lesson (hope) in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Admiral McRaven wrote an extraordinary book... Make Your Bed. His message centered on personal responsibility and leadership. The speech he made at "40 Acres" in 2014 was indeed remarkable. If you found inspiration in his speech spend a shekel or 2 and buy this book

Make Your Bed.jpg
Make Your Bed.jpg (5.42 KiB) Viewed 5101 times
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Thanks for the recommendation!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:38 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm A monumental accomplishment, you're one of a select few who make it through, congrats, young man.
Worth scrolling down to the phases to get an idea of what it takes to make it through, and then we only get an idea...an incredible physical challenge, but maybe even more so mental. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... d_training
Bang on, DMac.The first day, you look around and see some well-conditioned,athletic-looking chaps. Within a couple of weeks, around half the class has DOR'ed (Drop On Request) and gone back to the fleet. Mental toughness is the constant that can get a candidate get through each phase.

Wahoomurf, great to get your first-hand perspective, including the interesting info that Dick Couch was the Honor Man of your BUD/s class. I recall reading Mr. Couch's excellent book on BUD/s class 228, "The Warrior Elite," and knew that he was a highly respected former SEAL but not that additional fact.

And last but not least, Bravo Zulu to Ensign Lukacovic.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Bang on, DMac.The first day, you look around and see some well-conditioned,athletic-looking chaps. Within a couple of weeks, around half the class has DOR'ed (Drop On Request) and gone back to the fleet. Mental toughness is the constant that can help a candidate get through each phase.

Wahoomurf, great to get your first-hand perspective, including the interesting info that Dick Couch was the Honor Man of your BUD/s class. I recall reading Mr. Couch's excellent book on BUD/s class 228, "The Warrior Elite," and knew that he was a highly respected former SEAL but not that additional fact.

If you enjoyed "The Warrior Elite", you should read "The Finishing School".
Last edited by wahoomurf on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:09 pm

If you enjoyed "The Warrior Elite", you should read "The Finishing School".
I will check it out, thanks.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Sad to report that Naso has flipped to Duke. He would have been a good backup for Petey. :cry:
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

UVA is looking good! Some of these frosh are going to make big impact. I can’t wait to see the 2020 season and how it unfolds. Could be back to back
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

It appears that UVa's scrimmage with the USA senior men will be shown on LSN at 2pm, Oct 18.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insid ... ll-classic
Live Free or Die!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Cooter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 am It appears that UVa's scrimmage with the USA senior men will be shown on LSN at 2pm, Oct 18.
Some tough Fallball tests await the Wahoos. We also scrimmage Penn State this Sunday in Washington DC area. It will be a real test for some young players at close with Ament and company being one of the top returning attack units.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

blue angels wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:13 am
Cooter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 am It appears that UVa's scrimmage with the USA senior men will be shown on LSN at 2pm, Oct 18.
Some tough Fallball tests await the Wahoos. We also scrimmage Penn State this Sunday in Washington DC area. It will be a real test for some young players at close with Ament and company being one of the top returning attack units.
PSU and UVa meet at the 5th annual Bob Kemp classic at Georgetown Prep in N.Bethesda tomorrow (Oct 13) at Noon.
http://bobkemplacrosseclassic.com/

Parking could be tough.
Parking on campus is limited. Upon capacity, cars will not be allowed to enter.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

No parking problems, although the crowd was decent for fall ball.
Starters tended to play till the end of the 3rd quarter.
UVa was behind 11-13 at the end of the 3rd.

Virginia's starters
Attack - Krauss, Moore, Laviano
1st midfield - Aitken, Peele, Bienkowski
2nd midfield - Quinn, Connor, Shellenberger
LSM - Connors, Rock
ssdm - Salade, Fox
close D - Kology, Bower, Guilieri
Goal - Rode
FO - LaSalla

Cormier had a run on the midfield and scored a nice goal in the 2nd quarter, then came in for Moore on attack in the 3rd quarter and had a couple goals.
Strange first midfield, various other people ran with Aitken and Peele in the 3rd quarter. Bienkowski looked good, had a nice goal in the 2nd quarter. I didn't notice Xander Dickson playing.

Close defense struggled in the 1st quarter. Matsui came in for Guilleri near the end of the first quarter, and Connors switched to close in the 2nd quarter to cover Ament. I didn't notice Sausted playing. Peters was in a bit..

Rode played the first half, then the Thompson's worked the 3rd and 4th quarter, and #47 worked the fifth quarter.

Shellenberger didn't score. He got a few sets playing attack behind the goal in the 3rd quarter, and I thought he looked better there than on midfield.

Kraus 3 goals
Laviano 1 goal
Aitken 2 goals
Moore 1 goal, 1 assist
Cormier 3 goals
Bienkowski 1 goal, 1 assist
Peele 1 assist
4th and 5th period scoring
Harris 2 goal, 1 assist
Cory 3 assists
Simmons 1 goal
Tygh 1 goal
Rodriguez 1 goal
Gordon 1 goal
Last edited by Cooter on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free or Die!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Cooter wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:33 pm No parking problems, although the crowd was decent for fall ball.

Virginia's starters
LSM - Connors, Rock
ssdm - Salade, Fox
Goal - Rode
FO - LaSalla

Cormier had a run on the midfield and scored a nice goal in the 2nd quarter, then came in for Moore on attack in the 3rd quarter and had a goal and an assist.
Strange first midfield, various other people ran with Aitken and Peele in the 3rd quarter. Bienkowski looked good, had a nice goal in the 2nd quarter. I didn't notice Xander Dickson playing.

Close defense struggled in the 1st quarter. Matsui came in for Guilleri near the end of the first quarter, and Connors switched to close in the 2nd quarter to cover Ament. I didn't notice Sausted playing. Peters was in a bit..

Rode played the first half, then the Thompson's worked the 3rd and 4th quarter, and #47 worked the fifth quarter.

Shellenberger didn't score. He got a few sets playing attack behind the goal in the 3rd quarter, and I thought he looked better there than on midfield.
Jesus. With injuries, 3 of the top 4 Virginia guys at close were 1st years playing against Ament, O’Keefe, and Foulds which is 1 of the Nation’s top attack units. That’s a great development opportunity for them to see where they are. No wonder PSU had so many goals. Suspect we got an awful lot out of this scrimmage with so many young players in key positions.
dek

Post by dek »

Cooter wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:33 pm No parking problems, although the crowd was decent for fall ball.

Virginia's starters
LSM - Connors, Rock
ssdm - Salade, Fox
Goal - Rode
FO - LaSalla

Cormier had a run on the midfield and scored a nice goal in the 2nd quarter, then came in for Moore on attack in the 3rd quarter and had a couple goals.

Kraus 3 goals
Laviano 1 goal
Aitken 2 goals
Moore 1 goal, 1 assist
Cormier 3 goals
Bienkowski 1 goal, 1 assist
Peele 1 assist
4th and 5th period scoring
Harris 2 goal, 1 assist
Cory 3 assists
Simmons 1 goal
Tygh 1 goal
Rodriguez 1 goal
Gordon 1 goal
Looks like a pretty fair summary; agreed on most points. In the 3q it looked to me like Shellenberger switched in for Moore and Cormier for Kraus, then later coaches plugged Kraus back in for Laviano. UVA coaches seemed to vary the midfield lines a lot, and I’m not convinced the offensive midfield lineups in the spring will look much like yesterday’s lineups. For example, I don’t remember seeing UVA run Conner or Cormier with Dox much yesterday, and would be surprised if they’re not often run on the same line in the spring. Looked to me like Hoos kept FO vs Arceri near 50 percent, which rarely happened last year, so I took that as a positive.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

rasheed wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:45 pm Past weekend recent alum attackman Ryan Lukacovic graduated as a Navy SEAL and received a medal from the Sec. of Defense as the top performer of the whole Navy SEAL class. Way to go 5

From the Sabre
Amazing accomplishment; and thank you for your service, Ryan. That's a serious superstar to beat out all the others who are super studs themselves.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

dek wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
Looks like a pretty fair summary; agreed on most points. In the 3q it looked to me like Shellenberger switched in for Moore and Cormier for Kraus, then later coaches plugged Kraus back in for Laviano. UVA coaches seemed to vary the midfield lines a lot, and I’m not convinced the offensive midfield lineups in the spring will look much like yesterday’s lineups. For example, I don’t remember seeing UVA run Conner or Cormier with Dox much yesterday, and would be surprised if they’re not often run on the same line in the spring. Looked to me like Hoos kept FO vs Arceri near 50 percent, which rarely happened last year, so I took that as a positive.
I was thinking maybe Xander Dickson would be on the 1st midfield in the Spring, doing what Herring did last year.
I thought Bienkowski looked good though.
FO's looked around 50% to me too.
Live Free or Die!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Cooter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:53 pm
dek wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
I was thinking maybe Xander Dickson would be on the 1st midfield in the Spring, doing what Herring did last year.
I thought Bienkowski looked good though.
FO's looked around 50% to me too.
Cooter, thanks for all the detailed info. Dickson, Murray and Saustad were all injured and didn't play in the scrimmage.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”